Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
    Am being absolutely pestered by recruiters at the moment. Here's hoping for a big uplift in my near future.
    same.
    Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    I currently work in arguably more legitimate (but potentially similar/less ethics) but not retail gambling.

However, this is subject to change. Received job offer this evening that is making me consider a return.
    After knocking back first offer, a sizeably uplifted new offer arrived Thursday night.

Today's work day started with a sizeably up-up-lifted counter offer from current role.

Am mulling it all over now.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
      Ya, but if there was no merit to it then then it would have blown over quickly. Strewelly blaming the shinners for it is real conspiracy theory type shit and he loses any objectivity when they are involved. I say this as someone who has no intention of ever voting for them.
      Not at all, it's politics as a blood sport and it's the most ruthless game there is.
      This has less than zero to do with McCabe or his reputation about which excepting Daly and Wallace none of them least of all the shinners have a flying fuck until it was politically expedient to do so.
      This was about SF/IRA pushing Martin into a corner he could not have got out of without an election were it not for the machiavillian behaviour of a civil servant. The carefully measured leaking of first the right questions to ask and then a nothing email to turn the question into a scandal, followed by the other few bits of info , criminally withheld from Charlton, dropped at the last moment was a thing of beauty, wurthy of Francis Urquhart himself.
      In short there was nothing to see here outside criminal behaviour within DoJ by some person who stuck these emails in their arse pocket instead of sending them to the tribunal and anyone who thinks it was Frances Fitz whodunnit is a complete fool.
      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 28-11-17, 19:34.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        anyone who thinks it was Frances Fitz whodunnit is a complete fool.
        I can't grasp what you think everyone else thinks she did.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            I can't grasp what you think everyone else thinks she did.
            I'd say if you pushed the average punter in a couple of months time they would say she decided with the commissioner to paint McCabe as a Peado.s

This week they think what Lloyd said which a deliberate misrepresentation of the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
              My biggest bet of the season gone on Watford to beat Manu tomorrow night @ 4/1.
              No inclination to go into reasoning at this hour but needless to say I'll regret it in the morning.
              Oh well.

Comment

Comment

was in Galway playing poker the weekend and drank Gin alot over the weekend , Dice got me a couple he thought I might like . Pink Gin elderflower loads of strawberries . Yeah got into it , however my peeve is em , I couldnt get drunk at all? fair bad when a dealer says "jaysus SatNav I have never seen ya as sober at a game in all my life!"

I like the way the gin is in a huge glass kinda nice , growing on me but em no buzz ?

so whats going on !

Prob a good thing for the likes of me but I do like to get pissed lol

Had the Gunpowder ugh too bitter , liked the Pink gin, but had a Brockmans I think was called and was my fav.

any recommendations on sweet Gin I can get pissed on without having to drink 12 before I noticed any kind of buzz?
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

same.

After knocking back first offer, a sizeably uplifted new offer arrived Thursday night.

Today's work day started with a sizeably up-up-lifted counter offer from current role.

Am mulling it all over now.
                    Without disclosing any salient details, I'd be extremely interested to hear how one goes about playing this situation. For someone who's been in the working world for two decades now, I am a relative innocent when it comes to screwing uplift out of employers.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      This tweet sums up the Frances situation nicely.

Change of any kind is anathema to Irish people.

Water charges another example...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Without disclosing any salient details, I'd be extremely interested to hear how one goes about playing this situation. For someone who's been in the working world for two decades now, I am a relative innocent when it comes to screwing uplift out of employers.
                        I want to stay but it’s an incredibly attractive offer and I have a family to think of. Could you discuss what if anything you can do for me? I need to let the other crowd know ASAP.
                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

• Asked to meet people by a friend, I didn't send a CV.
                          • In the meeting, the people who were setting up something I'd have expertise in asked me lots of questions about how I would go about doing things that they haven't solved yet etc
                          • I then got a job offer from them for a role at the very beginnings of a new team within big company.
                          • I sheepishly turned it down, as hadn't really even considered that was going on.
                          • They came back with now more significant offer.
                          • I spoke to line manager saying that it was a really interesting opportunity, that I'd not get many like this (all true) and also that the mooted package was a significant step up.
                          • Manager asked that I not make any decision until they have time to consider counter.
                          • Possibly important / useful, I was away for the weekend and had Monday off.
                          • Letter on my desk this morning with significant uplift immediately applied. Also a 35 min discussion today, and one pencilled in tomorrow about how I might change my role within reason to get benefits of other opportunity without leaving.

Didn't bother with any covert stuff, and have just been open/honest about the whole thing.

Comment

But did have the thought today in the meeting that "sure I could just be making this all up and you'd know no different?"

Comment

• Asked to meet people by a friend, I didn't send a CV.
                              • In the meeting, the people who were setting up something I'd have expertise in asked me lots of questions about how I would go about doing things that they haven't solved yet etc
                              • I then got a job offer from them for a role at the very beginnings of a new team within big company.
                              • I sheepishly turned it down, as hadn't really even considered that was going on.
                              • They came back with now more significant offer.
                              • I spoke to line manager saying that it was a really interesting opportunity, that I'd not get many like this (all true) and also that the mooted package was a significant step up.
                              • Manager asked that I not make any decision until they have time to consider counter.
                              • Possibly important / useful, I was away for the weekend and had Monday off.
                              • Letter on my desk this morning with significant uplift immediately applied. Also a 35 min discussion today, and one pencilled in tomorrow about how I might change my role within reason to get benefits of other opportunity without leaving.

Didn't bother with any covert stuff, and have just been open/honest about the whole thing.
                              you should take the new job imo

Comment

Is Degiro still the way to go for stockholding accounts? Basically I have shares from a previous employer that are vesting into my ownership so I just want an account to hold them in. I don't anticipate I will be doing much,if any, trading. So really just looking for cheapest and easiest place to do this.

From what I have seen it seems to be Degiro but to say I'm inexperienced at this would be an understatement!

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                  was in Galway playing poker the weekend and drank Gin alot over the weekend , Dice got me a couple he thought I might like . Pink Gin elderflower loads of strawberries . Yeah got into it , however my peeve is em , I couldnt get drunk at all? fair bad when a dealer says "jaysus SatNav I have never seen ya as sober at a game in all my life!"

I like the way the gin is in a huge glass kinda nice , growing on me but em no buzz ?

so whats going on !

Had the Gunpowder ugh too bitter , liked the Pink gin, but had a Brockmans I think was called and was my fav.

any recommendations on sweet Gin I can get pissed on without having to drink 12 before I noticed any kind of buzz?
                                  Gin is nice for after dinner etc but I find 3 or 4 is enough for me.

PS - stop going all-in against me in tournaments

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                    Judging by the few evenings out we've enjoyed, the word 'bottles' seems to be missing here somewhere

Comment

Must be great to have a marketable skill. Oh well, I suppose I'll settle for the 35 days holidays.

Comment

you should take the new job imo
                                        Just off the phone with their 'Head of' which is not exactly normal protocol I imagine.

There's definitely a lot to that it makes me want to take it, but they might have just been priced out totally by current spot. (probably 25% difference after today's meeting - considering bonuses forgone by leaving etc)

Some other med-term decisions at play too. Mostly to do with getting back to Ireland / getting a mortgage / knocking the missus up. All of those things require slightly longer term planning than I have access to with being involved in a startup kind of role. Pretty unique opportunity though!

Comment

PS - stop going all-in against me in tournaments
                                          ok lets tell em!

me V dice , me 2 black 8s , Dice 2 red 8s

board ran out

fucking wanker!!!!!

however the depression upon his face from the aftermath from night before was worth the 170 buyin to lose to him
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

7s and you were dead on the turn.

Comment

That "pay out if your team go 2 up" was quite handy tonight considering my lumpage on West Brom.

Comment

Browsing property and musing upon the elasticity of certain estate agent definitions of geography.

Sutton is nice, I know Sutton. Poncy area (would suit me obv.). The places being advertised as 'Sutton' are not even close.

We are so back. All aboard!

Comment

7s and you were dead on the turn.
                                                  8s u fucking eejit!
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

I guess all of Baldoyle is Sutton on property sites.

In fairness you pretend your gaf is Clontarf

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      I guess all of Baldoyle is Sutton on property sites.

In fairness you pretend your gaf is Clontarf
                                                      Spiritually, I feel it is.

Comment

8s u fucking eejit!
                                                        7s. That concoction of gin and botox must be dampening your brain.

Comment

Browsing property and musing upon the elasticity of certain estate agent definitions of geography.

Sutton is nice, I know Sutton. Poncy area (would suit me obv.). The places being advertised as 'Sutton' are not even close.

We are so back. All aboard!
                                                          Ah it's the same as Templeogue being advertised as Terenure, and Tallaght as Templeogue.
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                            Ah it's the same as Templeogue being advertised as Terenure, and Tallaght as Templeogue.
                                                            or GAB pretending he still lives in Dublin

Comment

7s. That concoction of gin and botox must be dampening your brain.
                                                              was deffo 8s , u drank till 10 am that morn, stayed in bed all day , im deffo right !!!
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                Flying back to Malta this eve. Gates close at 6.10pm for a 6.40 flight.

I have to check a back in, so should getting there about 4.30 be ok?
                                                                Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                Should be plenty of time.
                                                                Cheers BigDog. Bag dropped, through security, questioned by security for 5 mins afterwards, and Guinness in hand by 5pm. Too conservative!

In other news, awesome result from the Ireland Women's team. They were up against it a little, and the stats prove it!

But this is what it meant to them. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                  Also I am deciding that Iota crypto is the first to the moon.
                                                                  I post this at 22:54 Monday night. Then this happens:

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                    Flying back to Malta this eve. Gates close at 6.10pm for a 6.40 flight.

I have to check a back in, so should getting there about 4.30 be ok?
                                                                    Desk won't close until well after 5:15 to 5:30

so whats going on !

You'll like this. It's a sweeter gin, but still full strength. 37.5
                                                                    You'll need to drink as much gin as you would vodka to get drunk. How ever many that is for you, might be easier to do the ground work with a bottle wine and enjoy the gin after

Comment

Did you buy any?
                                                                      "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                      "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

I have PM notifications but I when I try to check nothing shows up.

Any ideas?

Comment

I assumed this was a joke and you’re waiting for someone to say “I don’t have an Iota”.

Comment

was deffo 8s, Incorrect it was 77, flop was 568 turn J

u drank till 10 am that morn, stayed in bed all day. Incorrect, i went to bed, had a nice sleep and was in reception at 10am for a nice walk into Galway. Someone saw us in reception and assumed we were still on the razz. Took a nice hour walk into town and spent the day having lunch, browsing the Xmas markets and backing a few horses before strolling back to the hotel in the evening (you saw pictures of all this ). Went for a nap and got up to play the poker. Beginning to feel like poor Donald with his fake news lol.

im deffo right !!!

incorrect!
                                                                            You're worse than the wife for admitting when I'm right

Comment

Just off the phone with their 'Head of' which is not exactly normal protocol I imagine.

There's definitely a lot to that it makes me want to take it, but they might have just been priced out totally by current spot. (probably 25% difference after today's meeting - considering bonuses forgone by leaving etc)

Some other med-term decisions at play too. Mostly to do with getting back to Ireland / getting a mortgage / knocking the missus up. All of those things require slightly longer term planning than I have access to with being involved in a startup kind of role. Pretty unique opportunity though!
                                                                              If you think its a viable option ask for shares to make up the difference

Comment

Yet another false accusation disproved by Dice. When will these women learn. Wp dice

Comment

Brian - what happens bees in winter? Do they all die and new ones the following spring from the queen who doesn't die?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    Brian - what happens bees in winter? Do they all die and new ones the following spring from the queen who doesn't die?
                                                                                    Wasps, bumblebees and other bees more or less do that. They raise a whole bunch of new queens toward the end of the summer and each of those goes off to hibernate individually for the winter. The rest of the colony dies off. In spring each queen will start off a new colony by herself.

Honeybees are different. Toward the end of the summer the colony will shrink in numbers quite a lot but they will still stay as a colony through the winter - very loosely, maybe 5,000 bees per colony. Over the winter they just stay within the hive clustered together to keep warm. They don’t hibernate. They could be stuck in the hive for quite a few months but would still come out on a random warmer day. They produce and store an excess of honey over the summer to survive being stuck inside for the winter which is why it’s possible to harvest honey from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasher View Post
                                                                                      Is Degiro still the way to go for stockholding accounts? Basically I have shares from a previous employer that are vesting into my ownership so I just want an account to hold them in. I don't anticipate I will be doing much,if any, trading. So really just looking for cheapest and easiest place to do this.

From what I have seen it seems to be Degiro but to say I'm inexperienced at this would be an understatement!
                                                                                      Just put it all into Bitcoin. If it doesn't work out sure who cares you are already loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                        Must be great to have a marketable skill. Oh well, I suppose I'll settle for the 35 days holidays.
                                                                                        Stick with the bitcoin buying

Broke 10k late last night, nearly 11k by this morning.

100k next year, governments step in and ban exchanges

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

What is the best way to but a few hundreds worth Tar for a complete novice?

Comment

Bees are so cool. I saw a big one (maybe a bumblebee) near the flowers outside our gaff late last week - was fairly cold outside and so late in the year, I was surprised to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

gotta love the fact that the people with the most bitcoins are most likely all the dealers on silk road who were removed their livelihood when it was closed, but just like that, they became incredibly successful investors

Comment

It can't go up much further, can it?

I'd also like to point out that our finance wizards told me to bail when it dipped to around 3k a while back, and the other one called the top of the market around 6.5k!

Comment

Depends totally on adoption and government interference. It's at a minuscule amount of it's possible use, but it's a gamble really.

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                  What is the best way to but a few hundreds worth Tar for a complete novice?
                                                                                                  For a novice I'd say use a large site like kraken or coinbase, you pay a bit more in fees but it's way more user friendly. You'll have an amount of them stored online. Once people learn more I'd recommend other things.

You can also do what some people have here which is not buy bitcoin but get exposure to it through degiro. I prefer to have the coins.

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                  gotta love the fact that the people with the most bitcoins are most likely all the dealers on silk road who were removed their livelihood when it was closed, but just like that, they became incredibly successful investors
                                                                                                  Yeah there are a lot of druggie millionaires now. There was a story recently about a suicidal girl in Australia who tried to buy drugs to kill herself, they turned out to be fake and she was fine (they found out in the hospital as the doctors were trying to save her). She logged back on to buy more, now knowing better what to look out for for real drugs. She saw her bitcoins had gone up to 5000 (it was the only money she had). Fast forward to last week and she bought a house outright with bitcoin and is loving life.

Plenty of lads on there now going ... do I tell the wife we are millionaires?
                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-11-17, 09:49.

Comment

We should have a predictions thread for calling the top, Tar can donate one coin to the winner.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                          Just put it all into Bitcoin. If it doesn't work out sure who cares you are already loaded.
                                                                                                          Haha, how did I know you would be first to reply and that your information would be incorrect

Comment

...

Comment

Answer (1 of 9): How much it costs to mine 1 Bitcoin in the US does change all the time so it's impossible to give an answer. It varys wildly because of electricity costs in your location within the US, and also depends how good your mining rig is. If you aren't sure of what you are doing it can ...

TLDR: At average US electricity cost, a BTC network (13mil TH/s network hash rate) consisting of one million S9 Antminners would cost ~ 3,7 mil USD to operate per day. Cost to produce 1 BTC would be 2067 USD.

Comment

...

Comment

Unfortunately thats the model the Irish trade union is following. E.g. by being outraged at the idea that workers in Irish Rail might make a few reasonable changes to work practices in order to get pay increases.
                                                                                                                  I was thinking about that the other day and it occurred to me that Irish unions have closely followed the British model and that Brexit might be a chance for them to start looking at the much better scandinavian model for interactions between unions and business.

Comment

A guy in work a couple of years ago suggested just leaving a mining machine in one of the labs. Basically stealing electricity and turning it into money!

Comment

Surely a group IPB investment in producing BTC would be far better than buying bitcoin outright on the market so. Guess you rent server space and eventually a btc is produced?

I'd be in for this.
                                                                                                                      Pretty sure the only way to make money mining is with subsidised electricity and massive computing power.

The power usage of BTC means it's totally unsustainable imo. 100k BTC is a pipe dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        Pretty sure the only way to make money mining is with subsidised electricity and massive computing power.

The power usage of BTC means it's totally unsustainable imo. 100k BTC is a pipe dream.
                                                                                                                        it looks like bitcoin mining consumes more electricity a year than Ireland does

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ge-energy-bill

Comment

Approx 80% of mining pools existed in China until recently at least and electricity costs are cheaper so I assume they're mined for less.

I've been reading a bit more on it and Slushpool have now produced 1m coins since 2010 and have over taken Antpool as the largest mining pool in the world.

They generate over 20% of all block chain now and focus more of their computing power on Bitcoin cash.

This was recommended to me, I haven't started it yet but it's on the list.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X