Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
    Bob Geldof should really get down off the stage.
    I thought 2016 had got him

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

always thought his song ‘I don’t mind at all’ was a great ol Ironic tune. He does mind. He minds a bloody lot.

Also, phone wreckers are idiots. (ah bless his cantankerous ol socks)

Also, the bloke in Cork who murdered his missus in his tattooed on red jumper , looks a lot like Gimmeabreak.

Also, any more than 1 seconds on a car horn should be 5 points on your licence or a kick in the GEE.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          That's speciesist.

That will be a thing. The way things are going.
          Richard Dawkins talks about it in his books saying people would have a much bigger problem ignoring it if the intermediary steps between apes and man hadn't gone extinct, staring in the face what we have known since Darwin, that's there's nothing magic about us.

Comment

I agree with the idea but this just send up the arsehole signal
            He added in the statement on Sunday: “The moment she is stripped of her Dublin Freedom perhaps the council would see fit to restore to me that which I take such pride in. If not, so be it.”
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Thoughts on BYOB prices for a cafe/bistro in Donegal?

I had suggested €7 for a bottle of wine but she was thinking €2 for wine and €5 if they brought a spirit?

I would say even €10 for spirits as you can make money on the mixer and min of €3.50 for a bottle of wine?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

I had suggested €7 for a bottle of wine but she was thinking €2 for wine and €5 if they brought a spirit?

I would say even €10 for spirits as you can make money on the mixer and min of €3.50 for a bottle of wine?
                €7 corkage charge?
                That's pretty high
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    €7 corkage charge?
                    That's pretty high
                    But thats per bottle, so if 2-4 people bring one bottle it's not too bad surely? I see Hitch saying €3 per head so that could work out dearer?

Comment

Comment

But thats per bottle, so if 2-4 people bring one bottle it's not too bad surely? I see Hitch saying €3 per head so that could work out dearer?
                        How often will 4 people be splitting a bottle. It's a bottle per person anytime I go. Nobody would split it more then 2 ways
                        airport, lol

Comment

Does anyone know does baileys still do the hazelnut flavour stuff they had a couple of years ago, and if so where I might get a bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                            How often will 4 people be splitting a bottle. It's a bottle per person anytime I go. Nobody would split it more then 2 ways
                            I would easily split a bottle between 3 folks! I would never sit and drink a full bottle. Max would be a half bottle.

Comment

Is corkage not free in most BYOBs in Dublin?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                The advantage of €3 per person, is people will think - thats a reasonable charge for me to be able to spend the night drinking. Whereas charging per bottle what might work out to be a similar amount - like €7 - the person is thinking 'I'm being charged €7 to open a fucking bottle of wine'.

In the first, the perspective is on the charge for the person to get the benefit of drinking, in the second the perspective is on the charge for the simple act of opening a bottle.
                                I am not focusing on my original of €7 per bottle, was more on the other line where she had €2 for wine. But I think corkage per person would be much better as you have pointed out

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                  Does anyone know does baileys still do the hazelnut flavour stuff they had a couple of years ago, and if so where I might get a bottle?
                                  I heard it had been discontinued. But there may be obscure places that will have it I am sure. They are doing Coffee, Chocolate Luxe and Orange truffle these days as well as the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    Is corkage not free in most BYOBs in Dublin?
                                    Yes I thought it was a thing of the past. Certainly if 7e corkage was on a restaurant in Dublin where there is alternative options it would suffer because of it. Irish people go for cheap over quality of food a lot of the time
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Comment

€2 for wine seems crazy low - either €5 (at a min) or nothing at all, if she is afraid of chasing away business with a 'standard' corkage fee.

Never heard of a fee for opening a bottle of spirits, guess most places wouldn't allow it or are just restricted from allowing it due to license or lack thereof.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                          €2 for wine seems crazy low - either €5 (at a min) or nothing at all, if she is afraid of chasing away business with a 'standard' corkage fee.

Never heard of a fee for opening a bottle of spirits, guess most places wouldn't allow it or are just restricted from allowing it due to license or lack thereof.
                                          I think with the gin wanker explosion there are loads who may opt for that or a spirit instead of wine. I do think €2 is crazy low. I had never heard of corkage on anything but wine but as I said the new culture for drinking gin may change that in the future.

Comment

€50 corkage on Saturday night, €70 for bubbles, Dublin/Donegal divide i guess.

Comment

Allowing people to bring BYO spirits sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Ive never seen that before. Usually beer or wine only. $2.50 or $3 per person would be normal.

Comment

Doesn’t BYOB mean bring your own Beer/Booze? What’s the deal with pulling the ring back on a Guinness or a hino? (ooh)

As for wine, I’d say 7 Euro is fine, oooh 7 Euro and I can fine wine and dine. IMO If you are going to pay corkage, it’s best to make the ratio from corkage charge to wine as big as possible. IE, bring a fecking kick ass bottle or three of wine from your wine of choice favourite list. I’d never be happy to pay corkage on a wine I didn’t love.

I paid 6. 50 for a pint of Guinness in the Shelbourne on Saturday. I looked at the barman, eh you forgot the Gin and Tonic. You didn’t order one he said. No but you charged for it.
                                                He gave me a look that said the Shelbourne was not the bar for me. We agreed on that. As I left Shane Byrne and the Pope were walking in. Expensive Beer wankers.

Comment

The Vintage Cafe, smack bang in Dublin city centre, charges zero.

Start with that.
                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                    Ask a squirrel.

Otherwise, stick to beverages designed for human consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                      Ask a squirrel.

It's obviously not for my consumption. I could get a bottle of '63 Cote du Rhone Malbec (name may or may not be made up, but it sounds like wine) but said person would prefer the unconsumable I asked about above.

Comment

Ask a squirrel.

Silly. Squirrels dont talk Even the best squirrel bars are mostly silent apart from a few squeaks and barklike grunts. You are thinking of chipmunks

Comment

10 of 2017’s most heartwarming random acts of kindness to celebrate World Kindness Day.

A beautiful, inspirational Thai advert.A young boy steals medication for his sick mother, is caught by the shop owner and is scolded. A family business notic...

Happy kindness day.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                              I’d never be happy to pay corkage on a wine I didn’t love.
                                                              I've happily paid $5 for corkage on cheap $10 bottle of wine.
                                                              The alternative is often paying $40 for a bottle from the house oistvthat might be just as average.

Some places here let you bring beer, others don't. But beer is mostly in bottles as opposed to cans.

Comment

"although this my well change in the future"

Fix that it's bugging me lol.
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

The bum hunting obviously going pretty well for the bookmakers the CEO and owner of bet365 got a salary of £199mill + £18mill in dividends last year!

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                    The bum hunting obviously going pretty well for the bookmakers the CEO and owner of bet365 got a salary of £199mill + £18mill in dividends last year!
                                                                    Salary of £199m?

That would pretty much make him\her the best paid CEO in the world.

Comment

Courgettes are veg royalty in my book - probably use them (and mixed peppers) in more dinners than any others.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                        That’s the gender pay gap sorted so

Comment

Start with that.
                                                                          That is not an option. I don't think there is anything wrong with charging something.

Comment

Do we know if the £217 Mill she paid herself is counted in
                                                                            The headcount was up by 17% to 3,712, though the staff costs jumped 85% to £585m or 27.2% of revenues.
                                                                            Incredible results and even more astonishing salary, you'd almost think she'd done it all on her own
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That is not an option. I don't think there is anything wrong with charging something.
                                                                              Do some maths and figure out how much they'd want to make from corkage. Work that into food prices and leave corkage free. Free corkage will bring people in. I would hazard a guess small increases in food spread over menu won't turn many away.
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Do some maths and figure out how much they'd want to make from corkage. Work that into food prices and leave corkage free. Free corkage will bring people in. I would hazard a guess small increases in food spread over menu won't turn many away.
                                                                                VAT is relevant here to, corkage is 23%.

Comment

Yeah would agree with that, only took a cursory glance at the bill in Seagrass and Little Jerusalem when did BYOB. If people are getting stung an extra quid per course they will go away delighted with the money they saved on the free corkage and not notice it.
                                                                                  Do something like £5 starter/£12 main/£5 Dessert and £20 for all 3, adjust accordingly based on costs/overheads. Upsell tea/coffee/Liquer Coffees. Do unlimited water and sparking water from machine. Make sure desserts blow them away so they leave on a high, it can make up for a lot
                                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    The problem with a kindness day is that this is something that most people do everyday in little ways. Now we're trying to idealise these things as amazing actions rather than something we should do without pausing to think if that now makes us a great person. As in, its now something special rather than ordinary as it should be.
                                                                                    Many people do little acts of kindness everyday in little ways. Very few people purposely cultivate kindness as a quality of the heart so that it can lead to living one's whole life from a place of kindness.

Kindness is an amazing ideal. It stems from love, compassion, identifying with others. It is special. And the reality is that almost all of us are very limited in our kindness - to whom we give it and the extent.

I'm really enjoying the fact that today is World Kindness Day. I've been reflecting on the fact that I was only really taught two values by my parents growing up - kindness and fairness.

It's reminding me of who I want to be in the world, and what I want my life to stand for. As the Dalai Lama said "My religion is kindness."

There are much worse international observance days (Nov 19th is UN World Toilet Day):

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Hand should start at 34m25s.

Either call a string raise on the flop, or don't bother at all. The reaction at the end of the hand runs this one close in awesomeness. Love how it played out

Comment

Sunrise over my beech tree this morning. Any gamers remember Missile Command?

Comment

V4V SENT U A PM

No idea why that emoji thing is there
                                                                                          Last edited by SatNav; 13-11-17, 16:16.
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Then you have the costs of printing day menus and evening menus. I don't think that will be what she has planned. Anyway, I passed all this on to her and it is her business I guess so she will do what she feels is best.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                              Many people do little acts of kindness everyday in little ways. Very few people purposely cultivate kindness as a quality of the heart so that it can lead to living one's whole life from a place of kindness.

Kindness is an amazing ideal. It stems from love, compassion, identifying with others. It is special. And the reality is that almost all of us are very limited in our kindness - to whom we give it and the extent.

I'm really enjoying the fact that today is World Kindness Day. I've been reflecting on the fact that I was only really taught two values by my parents growing up - kindness and fairness.

It's reminding me of who I want to be in the world, and what I want my life to stand for. As the Dalai Lama said "My religion is kindness."

There are much worse international observance days (Nov 19th is UN World Toilet Day):
                                                                                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_observances
                                                                                              Original video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us979jCjHu8Jordan B. Peterson's YT videos:https://www.youtube.com/user/JordanPetersonVideos/videos
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Start with that.
                                                                                                If you meant The Vintage Kitchen, their zero corkage is long gone. It's currently €3.50 per person, and from January it's going to be €3 per bottle.
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                  If you meant The Vintage Kitchen, their zero corkage is long gone. It's currently €3.50 per person, and from January it's going to be €3 per bottle.
                                                                                                  Yikes. Didn't notice that on the HHE outing.

Although we do tend to round the bill up to the nearest thousand.

Comment

Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      Does exactly what it says on the tin!

Think a keeper may have struggled to save that second pen, looked low and hard. As gammy as a foot save looks I think it can be quicker and more effective in certain circumstances. Goalkeeper manual needs to be rewritten
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Covenant acting the bollox for anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Bet365 Results
                                                                                                          Bet365 has released the FY17 accounts (year to March 2017) for the Group, showing the sports and gaming revenues increasing by £607m or 39% to £2.15bn. The performance was “augmented” by the Euros last summer and the weakness in GBP “also impacted favourably on the Group’s results.”

• Total amounts wagered increased by 27% to £46.9bn and the margin improved by an estimated 0.4pp to about 4.4% (assumes £100m of UK and Danish gaming revenues). The sports offering benefited from a number of product enhancements during the year, including the launch of ‘Edit My Bet’ and ‘Auto Cash Out’. In-play again performed strongly and like in FY16, it represented 72% of the sports revenues. Mobile sports delivered revenue growth of +61% (FY16: +36%), “consolidating its position as the most popular medium for sports betting.”
                                                                                                          • What is assumed to be sports actives, increased by 35% yoy.
                                                                                                          • They improved their live streaming offer, including adding US horseracing, which saw the number of live sports events streamed extended to around 140k, up from 100k last year.
                                                                                                          • They continued to improve the Gaming offering and launched 540 new games in the year, up from 214 in FY16. The growth in Gaming was assisted by the investment in the mobile channel, which “saw the launch of mobile Casino on the sports page and other significant product launches.”
                                                                                                          • The marketing spend “again increased, helping to maintain the ‘bet365’ brand’s class-leading position, notably with bet365’s sponsorship of Sky’s Friday and Monday night English Premier League programmes.” Signups during the year increased by around 7m, from “approaching 23.1m” in FY16 (up 4.6m on FY15) to “almost 30m” in FY17.
                                                                                                          • During the year they increased their revenues from regulated markets as they added to their portfolio of operator licenses. They currently hold licenses in range of territories, including the UK, Spain, Denmark, Italy, Gibraltar, Malta, Ireland, Australia, Bulgaria and most recently Cyprus. Given their experience in regulated markets they are “well placed to benefit long-term in those countries where sensible regulation is adopted.”
                                                                                                          • Cost of sales grew slower than revenues, with the gross profit margin increasing by 0.9pp to 86.5%.
                                                                                                          • The headcount was up by 17% to 3,712, though the staff costs jumped 85% to £585m or 27.2% of revenues. In addition to the growth in the headcount, there was also “increased remuneration for individuals that have been key to the development of the overarching corporate strategy…[which has enabled the company] to consistently outperform its competitors.”
                                                                                                          • With the big jump in staff costs, the operating profit for the year increased by 15% to £514m, with the EBIT margin down 5.1pp to 23.9%.
                                                                                                          • For the year, they contributed £50m to the Denise Coates Foundation, up from £16m in FY16. They had £1.45bn in cash on the balance sheet at year end.
                                                                                                          .
                                                                                                          This dickhead picked a good time to get out. First day in SB/CFD was 5th December 2016...

Comment

Anyone been followed the Leon Tsoukernik v Aussie Matt debacle over the past few months? I'm guessing not tbh but here's the cliffs.

Leon (owns King's Casino in Rozvadov and is a High Stakes fish) was playing Aussie Matt (High Stakes PLO player) in a headsup game in the Aria. Aussie Matt loaned Leon a total of $3m over the course of the game (in 4 loans of $500k, $500k, $1m, $1m) which he duly lost.

Leon paid back $1m, but there was some dispute over the other $2m. Seemingly Leon agreed to pay, but something irked Matt instead he decided to use the $1m to try to ruin Leon by suing him for the other $2m. The case was pretty much thrown out of court because gambling debts can't be enforced.

Leon is now suing the Aria claiming they staked Aussie Matt, and filled Leon so full of drink that he had trouble counting his chips and seeing his cards, and they wouldn't let his friends in to help him leave so he got so wasted that he couldn't play properly.

Rob Young's name got dragged into it, so he gave his version of events on how things played out. It's interesting watching it unfold.

Brings back memories of Mick the Lip's nipping days

Both guys like a gamble tbh

SPOILER

Comment

Saying her salary is £219m (or whatever) and that's ridiculous because it's 168x what a CEO should make is a bit silly when it's 93% owned by her family and we don't know the context behind the salary award this year (assuming it's a one off). In any event, Bet365 are an incredible company.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                                Covenant acting the bollox for anyone else?
                                                                                                                Yes it keeps going to first episode of a season in TV shows
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Just flicked on Italy v Sweden with the Italians having 30 mins to get out of a hole.....

I'd imagine its 60 years at least since they didn't qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                    Saying her salary is £219m (or whatever) and that's ridiculous because it's 168x what a CEO should make is a bit silly when it's 93% owned by her family and we don't know the context behind the salary award this year (assuming it's a one off). In any event, Bet365 are an incredible company.
                                                                                                                    Yeah, that bit of info would have been useful upfront.

So this is just bollix really

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                      Just flicked on Italy v Sweden with the Italians having 30 mins to get out of a hole.....

I'd imagine its 60 years at least since they didn't qualify.
                                                                                                                      They look pretty shit.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                      Let's see can we BBV them a goal

Comment

They look pretty shit.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                        Let's see can we BBV them a goal
                                                                                                                        Just looking at their last two WC's they wont be missed that much anyway, especially with that team.

Comment

Ciao!
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X