Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storm Brian is coming this weekend too. Climate change is real peeps.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
      Storm Brian is coming this weekend too. Climate change is real peeps.
      Yes because a couple of storms in a couple of days over the course of the entire history of earth is conclusive proof.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
        Yes because a couple of storms in a couple of days over the course of the entire history of earth is conclusive proof.
        Well tis hard to find conclusive proof so we got to go with the looks like a duck method until the science world bate the proof into us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
          Well tis hard to find conclusive proof so we got to go with the looks like a duck method until the science world bate the proof into us.
          They are measuring changes in the seas and oceans - it is going up consistently since they started measuring years ago.

Incredibly straight forward, easy to understand and undeniable proof. They really cant break it down further and simply more than the Temp this year > Temp 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
            They are measuring changes in the seas and oceans - it is going up consistently since they started measuring years ago.

Incredibly straight forward, easy to understand and undeniable proof. They really cant break it down further and simply more than the Temp this year > Temp 5 years ago.
            So a few decades data over the entire history of earth, again sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
              Where did you get this data?
              Sorry should replace every with a high number of pubs. I'm sure people here know of at least one pub in there area that had extra staff on yesterday. I know I do.

Comment

I completely get climate change deniers.they are far less deluded in a way then fools who think a few technological tricks and small lifestyle changes (I’ve bought an electric car honey!)are going to allow us to keep living first world lifestyles . If the predictionsare even half right loads of people are gonna die and the survivors will be back in the Stone Age.people who think buying some “ethical “ branded products in M+S makes any sort of difference are worse than Danny Healy Rae

Comment

So TV3 are showing Maribor v Liverpool ahead of Real/Spurs or even City/Napoli. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                    I completely get climate change deniers.they are far less deluded in a way then fools who think a few technological tricks and small lifestyle changes (I’ve bought an electric car honey!)are going to allow us to keep living first world lifestyles . If the predictionsare even half right loads of people are gonna die and the survivors will be back in the Stone Age.people who think buying some “ethical “ branded products in M+S makes any sort of difference are worse than Danny Healy Rae
                    And this mindset is why more people will die than needs to. I do like the new DHR barometer of stupid we have now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      So TV3 are showing Maribor v Liverpool ahead of Real/Spurs or even City/Napoli. Sigh.
                      Sad.i believe they skipped a Liverpool game last round in favor of a far more appealing tie (can remember which,psg v Bayern maybe). Prob got murdered on social media by pool fans for this progressive and enlightened move

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                        So a few decades data over the entire history of earth, again sample size.
                        The point is the speed of change, coinciding with the mass release of carbon. Carbon that was locked in place for millions of years until we began exploiting it.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

They really cant break it down further and simply more than the Temp this year > Temp 5 years ago.
                          An increase compared to 5 years ago is hardly proof of anything. There's been 100s of short term increases. There's be steady increases lasting 2000 years. And corresponding periods of cooling.

I'm not suggesting global warming isn't real btw. I'm just pointing that the above isn't the basis of global warming. People who deny global warming exists, don't deny it's been getting warmer.

Comment

We are approaching the end of an ice age though anyway, it's just we're fast forwarding it by a few thousand years.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                              Sad.i believe they skipped a Liverpool game last round in favor of a far more appealing tie (can remember which,psg v Bayern maybe). Prob got murdered on social media by pool fans for this progressive and enlightened move
                              I think that might have been RTE.

Comment

I think that might have been RTE.
                                No, it was TV3.

Comment

Anyone following this Hannah Mouncey case in Australia? 100kg 190cm woman formly called Callum wants to play elite AFL after dominating the Canberra league. Women's sports gonna become the Men's B league before long!
                                  Last edited by jack90210; 17-10-17, 09:33.

Comment

It seems odd to me that seemingly intelligent folks out there can’t grasp that you can’t compare 100000s of years of natural evolution with the last 100+ years of manmade interference .* It’s a HUGE factor.** Even in our own human evolution we are trying knock a *few centuries off via the Lab.** *Natural selection will become unnatural selection .** All kids with calve licks in the hair will be genetically modified to have perfect non kinky hair. ****No longer will barber and punter hug each other and say* ‘we did our best’* .*** Tis a grand ol world if we *just leave it alone -* quote from my great great grandfather –Kinky Hair Finnegan

Comment

Can't help those *********s

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                        An increase compared to 5 years ago is hardly proof of anything. There's been 100s of short term increases. There's be steady increases lasting 2000 years. And corresponding periods of cooling.

I'm not suggesting global warming isn't real btw. I'm just pointing that the above isn't the basis of global warming. People who deny global warming exists, don't deny it's been getting warmer.
                                        Nail on the head there.

Comment

Poor old carbon gets a terrible time. It's like Muslims. 99% of carbon atoms are grand, its only the radicalised ones that stick to two oxygens that cause a problem in the atmosphere, but they all get tarred with the same brush. Carbon is an atom of peace.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              Was in an investment class there and was trying to explain that you can't simply compare one investment fund to the average investment fund, as maybe all investment funds might be crap (all you'd be proving is that you are less crap than the standard crap fund, but still crap).

So I gave an analogy. Imagine you are a guard in a concentration camp and you're walking around thinking 'I'm better than everyone else because I'm not stabbing kids'. But the point is: you're still a concentration camp guard, and so are clearly still a horrific person of the highest order.

This is as much a reminder to myself as anything else to not use concentration camp metaphors in class. Something which only occured to me as I got towards the end of the metaphor.
                                              Choose Liverpool fan instead. Meh just as bad. Carry on.

Comment

Data goes back to around the end of the second world war but you are still in terms of the sample size correct. The fact that as you say similar increases took thousands of years and we manage it in 10 is a big problem.

Very little of the global warming if any is in air temperature that we feel it is all into the earth which dosnt absorb very well and then the oceans which take it in.

Got caught by what I presume was someone out for an early morning fishing trip before I had properly woken up. Generally better at avoiding these.

Comment

The outrage over lads getting in for a dip or windsurf hours before storm was due to hit is out of control. Happy pear twins (annoying enough Ted) has to take down and apologize for photos they put up of them taking a dip 5-6 hours before storm hit.(Fair enough re the people who got in at the height of it even at that the conditions were not that bad at Salthill if you know what your at,which I assume the 72 year old lad who swims there everyday does)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Its an overreaction if its still continuing, but was fair enough game yesterday early in the day where you're trying to send out a message to not be an idiot as its a useful message to send around the country.
                                                      Guys getting in at the height are fair game,lads getting in for a 2 minute dip hours before anyhing kicks off gtfo,sad pricks taking photos of them and trying to start and outrage bandwagon on twitter

Comment

On the while climate change thing...

It really doesnt matter if you believe or don't. The simple question is can we afford to take that risk?
                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

On the whole climate change thing...

It really doesnt matter if you believe or don't. The simple question is can we afford to take that risk?
                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

It's no coincidence that islamic terrorist attacks have increased at the same time as Co2! The graphs are identical!

Comment

Beat the paperclip game. Can safely say it was a day well spent.
                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Any confirmation where italy will play their home game when we draw them?
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Data goes back to around the end of the second world war but you are still in terms of the sample size correct. The fact that as you say similar increases took thousands of years and we manage it in 10 is a big problem.
                                                                  The second world war? You're off by a few millennia there.
                                                                  Weather stations aren't the only data we have. Many models go back 12,000 years to the last ice age. Polar Ice cores data go back 100's of 1000's of years.

And I didn't say similarincreases. I said increases. The ones I was referring to were considerable bigger than the current period, in both magnitude and duration. Like the holocene maximum period. A 2000 year increase that peaked higher than the current temp. But there's been shorter faster ones too.

Again, I'm not disputing global warming exists. I'm just pointing out that "Temp this year > Temp 5 years ago" is not undeniably proof. The the issue is considerably more complex than a 5 or 10 year increase.

Comment

The second world war? You're off by a few millennia there.
                                                                    Weather stations aren't the only data we have. Many models go back 12,000 years to the last ice age. Polar Ice cores data go back 100's of 1000's of years.

And I didn't say similarincreases. I said increases. The ones I was referring to were considerable bigger than the current period, in both magnitude and duration. Like the holocene maximum period. A 2000 year increase that peaked higher than the current temp. But there's been shorter faster ones too.

Again, I'm not disputing global warming exists. I'm just pointing out that "Temp this year > Temp 5 years ago" is not undeniably proof. The the issue is considerably more complex than a 5 or 10 year increase.
                                                                    Completely agree and I am not trying to say that the way it is being soley measured is with a lot of guys sticking a thermometer into the water at various locations.

It is the most simplistic way to show it for people who won't bother trying to grasp the more complex issues.

Comment

I can't understand how climate change denial is so associated with christianity. I understand why they reject evolution by NS as an acceptance of that is a rejection of god but I can't get my head around their opposition to this one.

Is it they're just afraid of science in general?

Does an acceptance of man made climate change mean a rejection of the idea that storms are god's punishment?

Rigger obv an exception.

Comment

Absolute result in the draw.Denmark is the best we could hope for.
                                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                          When do we get the dates & times?

Not going but need the 1st leg to fade my 10yr wedding anniversary dinner
                                                                          Last edited by Dice75; 17-10-17, 12:17.

Comment

I'm at a wedding on the Friday so looking to dodge that.

Comment

Completely agree and I am not trying to say that the way it is being soley measured is with a lot of guys sticking a thermometer into the water at various locations.

It is the most simplistic way to show it for people who won't bother trying to grasp the more complex issues.
                                                                              THe problem is that the guys who refute it write it as a natural fluctuation. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and all that.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                              I can't understand how climate change denial is so associated with christianity. I understand why they reject evolution by NS as an acceptance of that is a rejection of god but I can't get my head around their opposition to this one.

Does an acceptance of man made climate change mean a rejection of the idea that storms are god's punishment?

Rigger obv an exception.
                                                                              I'd assume that they believe that the climate is gods will and man has no power, accidental or otherwise over it.

For the record, I think the mainline Christian denominations (the boyos in Rome and all) accept climate change. It's only the evangelical lunatics in denial.
                                                                              But same as the muslims, the crazy 10% give the rest a bad name

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                Going on the Euro 2016 playoffs, if it follows the same, we will be Friday & Monday.

God knows though.

Comment

The climate change debate is getting closer and closer to a religious debate as time goes on, for both sides. So many spurious claims. Things like that oft quoted "97% of scientists agree..." are complete fabrications.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                    On the while climate change thing...

How much effect do we have though? How much do we spend fighting it?

Comment

AJ is the man to tell you, he never get that wrong
                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                            The laudrup brothers dont have any offspring for us to worry about do they ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                              The climate change debate is getting closer and closer to a religious debate as time goes on, for both sides. So many spurious claims. Things like that oft quoted "97% of scientists agree..." are complete fabrications.
                                                                                              yeah the figures vary from 95% to 99% depending on exactly what percentage of "scientists " being reported are wholly owned by vested interests
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

How much effect do we have though? How much do we spend fighting it?
                                                                                                Taleb has a good (IMO) article about this on his website:

While some amount of pollution is inevitable, high quantities of any pollutant put us at a rapidly increasing risk of destabilizing the climate, a system that is integral to the biosphere. Ergo, we should build down CO2 emissions, even regardless of what climate-models tell us.

This leads to the following asymmetry in climate policy. The scale of the effect must be demonstrated to be large enough to have impact. Once this is shown, and it has been, the burden of proof of absence of harm is on those who would deny it. It is the degree of opacity and uncertainty in a system, as well as asymmetry in effect, rather than specific model predictions, that should drive the precautionary measures.

Push a complex system too far and it will not come back. The popular belief that uncertainty undermines the case for taking seriously the ’climate crisis’ that scientists tell us we face is the opposite of the truth.

Properly understood, as driving the case for precaution, uncertainty radically underscores that case, and may even constitute it.

Comment

Poor old carbon gets a terrible time. It's like Muslims. 99% of carbon atoms are grand, its only the radicalised ones that stick to two oxygens that cause a problem in the atmosphere, but they all get tarred with the same brush. Carbon is an atom of peace.
                                                                                                  The ones that stick to only a single oxygen are the worst really.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    yeah the figures vary from 95% to 99% depending on exactly what percentage of "scientists " being reported are wholly owned by vested interests
                                                                                                    Believe what? That humans are the primary cause of global warming?

Comment

Bi-annual flogging of cheap €10 tickets to Leinster games in the Aviva incoming alert!

You can buy €10 tickets for Leinster's European Rugby champions cup match in the Aviva stadium on December 16 now through ticket master, just click on the o…

Nabbed two tickets up in the gods, as per usual; last year on the way to our Leinster-Saints cheapo tickets some nice gent gave us two premium level tickets, hoping for the same this time around

Comment

Believe what? That humans are the primary cause of global warming?
                                                                                                        Bullshit

Comment

It really comes down to what sources of authority you acquiesce to.

Comment

Correction. It is cowshit that's killing us all.
                                                                                                            Danes and Irish to blame.

I acquiesce to barstool authority.

RIP Sean btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                                              I acquiesce to barstool authority.
                                                                                                              Here's your daily hymn for that from a bar fly dispensing such wisdom:

Comment

I would guess it has more to do with your social grouping than anything, you can throw information at people all you want but that doesn't matter much compared to who is in this ingroup and what they believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Rigger obv an exception.
                                                                                                                  I don't think it's christianity specifically, rather people of an ideological bent. The thing about ideologues is that they always want to assign one and only one explanation for anything. So dramatic changes to the planet could only happen if they were god's will, and they don't believe their god would do that to them (again).
                                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                    Bi-annual flogging of cheap €10 tickets to Leinster games in the Aviva incoming alert!

You can buy €10 tickets for Leinster's European Rugby champions cup match in the Aviva stadium on December 16 now through ticket master, just click on the o…

Nabbed two tickets up in the gods, as per usual; last year on the way to our Leinster-Saints cheapo tickets some nice gent gave us two premium level tickets, hoping for the same this time around
                                                                                                                    Got the cheap tickets for the Munster match and freebie ticket on Saturday. Nabbed those cheap ones thanks to you Paul. This rugby fan lark is great value.

I honestly don't think there is a bad higher level seat in the Aviva for watching rugby.

I've applied for England v Ireland tickets and have the nod to join RDIII for the trip to Bilbao so I think that will do me for expensive trips for the season. I'll probably get one or two freebies over the autumn and I'll see about nabbing some half price home 6Ns tickets and that will do it.
                                                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sat/Tues

GFYZ

Comment

So we are an Eriksen injury away from a World Cup.

Comment

Someone was asking about Xmas markets lately, there is a thread on boards that may be of some interest:

heya, just wondering if anyone has been to one of those Christmas markets in Germany or anywhere in Europe really. Any recomendations?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X