Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Yes. Well done, now you're catching on. And if someone manages to get a Shrewsbury I would like to split the 10k prize with them.
    I'd go to 7.5K
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
      That coach is some cunt. Looking forward to hard knocks to see how Winston comes off
      I see they have a new school for S3
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
        A fantastic guitarist just died but better known for his singing. RIP Glen Campbell
        Two versions of this came up on my spotify feed today, one by REM and one by a band I never heard of

Still haven't heard a better version

Glen performs his greatest song on '"The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour"

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          And to all practical intents and purposes making the assumption that men and women are different in the workplace is highly dodgy. The vast majority of those "1000s" of published studies won't have looked at the workplace. That makes a big difference.
          Absolutely, this cannot be overstated, he is talking specifically about SWE in Google not coal mining !

The guy thought he was standing on the shoulders of giants making his arguments, but actually it's a pillar of salt. Can't really blame him, but he does have a bit of a naive view of how to take a body of literature and translate it properly to the context he did.
          The stuff he is quoting is mostly applied bolloxology that makes the sort of behavioral economics guff you do be going on with seem
          rigorous

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Perhaps because they are boys clubs.
            Are they though?

Is any boy allowed to enter?

Comment

From Thunderball to Inception, from punchy thrillers to mixed-race romances, Earl Cameron blazed a trail through British acting – with just one lung. He relives his meatiest roles and the prejudice he rose above

Legend!

Comment

Liverpool should sell coutinho for top whack to Barcelona and raid PSG with all the monies!

There I said it; it's been said!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  He's being a cranky cunt today though
                  Wonder where he got that?!
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

More Trumpspiration,I must try this would definitely put a pep in your step

President Donald Trump has a folder delivered to him twice a day that's full of positive headlines, tweets, interviews, and sometimes photographs of him on TV "looking powerful," VICE News reported on Tuesday.

The folder, dubbed "the Propaganda Document" by some in the White House, is prepared by the communications team. The only feedback the White House press shop has ever gotten about the folder, VICE said, was that "it needs to be more f------ positive."

Comment

only 3 days left for Fantasy Football entries folks, cut off is 5PM on Friday
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                          From the article Tara posted:

It really is a closed topic. Denying it is roughly equivalent to denying global warming.
                          It really is not and there is still much debate at this stage you can get an expert to back absolutely every point of view. Quoting on article that Tara had with 4 PHD's backing it while another article referencing thousands of studies shows the opposite https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/diffe...ted-adam-grant
                          Last edited by RichieM; 09-08-17, 08:21.

Comment

I'm not too sure those differences between men and women are all that real. Read a lot of papers on the issue when I published a paper in the area, and the 'differences' were all very malleable. E.g. the finding that 'men take more risk than women' isn't precisely true, and not really true at all. Women who are confident in an area take just as much risk as men. It's very domain specific. And a young woman and young man will be closer on risk taking than a young man and an old man.

And to all practical intents and purposes making the assumption that men and women are different in the workplace is highly dodgy. The vast majority of those "1000s" of published studies won't have looked at the workplace. That makes a big difference.

The guy thought he was standing on the shoulders of giants making his arguments, but actually it's a pillar of salt. Can't really blame him, but he does have a bit of a naive view of how to take a body of literature and translate it properly to the context he did.

I must also note the conspiratorial comment of richem that scientific outcomes are determined by who paid! I think there's almost none of this in proper academic research, and probably 100% of this in commercial research.
                            You should get into commercial research Hitch

Comment

Two versions of this came up on my spotify feed today, one by REM and one by a band I never heard of

Still haven't heard a better version
                              I think the Villagers version is really good, heard it live a year or so ago - 'tis up on Youtube somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                Liverpool should sell coutinho for top whack to Barcelona and raid PSG with all the monies!

There I said it; it's been said!
                                Portsmouth , Southampton and Gillingham?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                  I think the Villagers version is really good, heard it live a year or so ago - 'tis up on Youtube somewhere.
                                  Nice tight band. Played OV a while back. Deserve more love on the big stage .

Comment

Really liking French campsites. Never been to one before except those shite ones in Tramore and Salthill. Think it was zuut who recommended Yelloh, maybe Mike too. They're rather great at what they do. You can kinda put up with the slumming it aspect when your meals are bbq'd and there's a zillion things for kids to do.
                                    Wasn't me who recommended Yelloh, I just recommended camping holidays in general. We took our 5 and a 3 year old here this year and the kids loved it.

The wife won't consider a villa holiday until the kids get a little older as the facilities for kids are good. We don't put them in the kids camps but with a few pools, Pétanque, soccer etc the kids have a ball. The beach was only a few mins drive away as well.

Comment

You would be scared to admit you aren't going to watch any of the Women's Rugby World Cup games in the current climate. Better stick a flag on the car just in case

Comment

Trump says no more threats or we'll nuke you
                                        Kim makes a new and very explicit threat to nuke Guam
                                        Fire and Fury to follow then

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                          You would be scared to admit you aren't going to watch any of the Women's Rugby World Cup games in the current climate. Better stick a flag on the car just in case
                                          No interest whatsoever in women's sports. Only exception being the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                            As Womens sport goes Rugby can, if the teams are well matched, be enjoyable to watch.

Comment

As Womens sport goes Rugby can, if the teams are well matched, be enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                I'd watch women's tennis, rugby occasionally and whatever that indoor American football league played in underwear that used to be shown in the SE.

Fucking love the women's curling at the Winter Olympics too. Women cleaning the ice - what a sport!!
                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I must say the LaPoste tracking service is top notch.

08/09/2017
                                                  Your parcel is being shipped.

08/09/2017

08/07/2017

Comment

Revolut update (my money was stolen over a few months and I never got notifications about it):

Sent a formal complaint to them and they have sent me all the money I'm owed fairly instantly, regardless of whether charge backs work or not. You have to give merchants 45 days to contest the charge-backs.

They are still pretty clueless (read: don't want to admit) about the notification issue causing people to lose more money, so be careful on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      I must say the LaPoste tracking service is top notch.

08/09/2017

08/09/2017

08/07/2017
                                                      there is no tracking system for international post from la poste

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                        there is no tracking system for international post from la poste
                                                        Well the tracking number works. Maybe there is for their parcel service?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

They are still pretty clueless (read: don't want to admit) about the notification issue causing people to lose more money, so be careful on that front.
                                                          I'm very interested to find out what happened there.
                                                          Doesn't make sense, if they had pwnd your account they would have topped up. Some sort of a bug somewhere.

Comment

There are a couple of ways I know they didn't have access to my account. Unfortunately Revolut would never tell me something that could be used against them, regarding the bug.

Comment

https://www.laposte.fr/particulier/o...=CC770491813FR
                                                              the tracking number registers on the website, but you won't get any more details than what you have unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                The point is that in the course of routine traffic stop, the guy gets a gun pointed right at him at point blank for ten minutes. Can you imagine what that feels like? Whatever happens before of after that, that guy is going to be permanently affected by that.
                                                                Had similar situations 3 times, I wouldn't say it was comfortable but I didn't feel especially threatened. I knew after things were checked out that I would be free to go, I didn't have an attitude, didn't make any sudden moves, did exactly as I was told etc.

Comment

The point is that in the course of routine traffic stop, the guy gets a gun pointed right at him at point blank for ten minutes. Can you imagine what that feels like? Whatever happens before of after that, that guy is going to be permanently affected by that.
                                                                  You never crossed the old border with the North I take it!?

Comment

Men V Wimmin …A soliders tale.

I cheated at paintball once, I rubbed off the paint and continued to glory , capturing the flag as I stormed their base.

I enjoyed the taste of glory.

This however backfired as I forgot to wash my hands and ate the paint with my sambo during a lunch break.

It was nothing serious but had the reverse placebo effect on me. I thought I was going to die. (I didn’t fyi)

There were wimmin on both teams and whilst they were as bloodthirsty as the rest of us they were a bit crybaby when the gun was fired from close range plus they were very judgemental on the cheating. It was only a game and I got unlucky via a ricochet

but the rules are rules wimmin wouldn’t let it go.This led to several illegal close range cry baby inducing shots in the next few games.

I didn’t cry when my trousers were ruined nor did I cry when I got ordered to the firing range for cheating (ratted out by da wimmin) .

Not one bloke objected , twas only the wimmin. It’s always the same, the wimmin ruin everything. Wimmin eh?

Comment

Trump says no more threats or we'll nuke you
                                                                      Kim makes a new and very explicit threat to nuke Guam
                                                                      Fire and Fury to follow then
                                                                      How come you don't believe anything else he says but you believe this?
                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This North Korea thing is some nothingburger

I've said it before but I'll say it again...

I've noticed that there are a lot of articles lately discussing how NK's missiles are capable of hitting US states now. These threads usually devolve into arguments about how Japan must be getting antsy or how Seoul is (or is not) at risk of artillery shelling or chemical attacks. Not to mention, how China love-hates North Korea. Before we get into any war scenarios, I want to make this point:

Even if we agree that North Korea has the ability to attack America, we must ask the more important question of whether they have a REASON to attack America or her allies.

If NK was more powerful than America, maybe they'd attack us. But they're not. Not by a long shot. You know that. All that rhetoric of engulfing America in a sea of flames is FOR THEIR OWN PEOPLE - who by the way are increasingly ignoring the propaganda themselves. South Koreans and North Korean defectors are waging a cultural war in North Korea by sending in USB drives full of KPOP and KDRAMAS and KFILMS. If you want internal change, that's how you do it. You have to subvert the propaganda with proof of wealth on the outside, not meet it head on by upping our own militant rhetoric. That's playing into their own game!

If we as the public and you Media folks fail to parse out the fact that NK gov't prefers the status quo, we will only bring fear and greater uncertainty to the American public because we will continue to read headlines about NK's capabilities without factoring in their reasoning.

Import side note: calling Kim Jong Un "crazy" or "unstable" doesn't do us any good because it shifts our perspective of him. We need to interpret his actions carefully, not dismiss them arrogantly. Every move he has made, from gaining weight so that he looks more like his revered grandfather to killing his China-backed brother, Kim Jong Un's actions are carefully considered to ensure his regime's preservation.

In the face of these facts we need to ask ourselves this simple question: Would he have anything to gain by attacking America or her allies with a nuclear strike?

If you've been paying attention the answer should be a resounding no. The second NK strikes first, they lose any and all moral authority as the aggressor and they leave themselves open to merciless retaliation and a sure end to the Kim dynasty.

The opposite would be true if the US were to attack. The second America strikes first, China and Russia would point an accusatory finger at us for disrupting the status quo in a region that has seen stability and growth for decades now. South Korea, should it not give consent will feel betrayed by her most important ally for going behind her back. You folks chiming in every so often saying it's "time to do something" without understanding any of this are only making the situation WORSE. You're giving journos clicks for inflammatory headlines. You're giving writers a reason to make that headline more scary and you're feeding the bias that comes from misunderstanding.

Believe me I'm no fan of the current administration but even Trump knows this. It's why he hasn't attacked. It's why he's been trying to pressure China. You don't think he'd have done something by now if he could when he's losing face over the NK issue?

China has been happily advancing its society for the last few decades and anything to hinder this progress will be stopped with great prejudice. As such a war in Korea would throw the world's economy into chaos. You're advocating a conflict between China, the US, Korea, and Japan and you don't think that's gonna be the case? South Korea is not only a major trading partner, investor, and employer in America, it is now a regional power in Asia that should be given full consideration before any action is taken and as far as I can tell articles and comment threads don't give much attention to the South Korean perspective.

America and her Allies have aligned interests. If you go America first at the sake of an ally's wishes, you're going to lose whatever faith our other allies have in us. It's why our guarantee of retaliation is so powerful. If we didn't retaliate against a NK strike on our allies, our guarantee of security to other allies will crumble.

Sen. Lindsey Graham seems to think America wouldn't suffer in case of a war in Korea. Let me assure you if there is war American jobs will be lost (those employed by Korean companies), American lives will be lost (servicemen and civilians in Korea), and America may well lose favor among East Asian nations if the war gets out of hand and the repercussions echo throughout the region. That is to say, refugees from South Korea will flee to Japan. North Koreans will flee to China.

And you think Syria is bad?

A NK nuclear strike on America or her allies is out of the question. NK will not strike first with nuclear arms unless we corner them. You know what they say about cornering prey right? It's the dumbest thing you can do because they will go all out when there is nothing to lose. Always leave room to escape (de-escalate).

By getting suckered into the media narrative of a greater chance of war, our countries inch closer to war because of the increased fear among the public. Fear blinds us and when fear is founded on incomplete information, we make poor choices on top of being blinded.

We have missile defense systems in America and Japan. We are not without recourse there and therefore the threat is not really there. The threat is to South Korea who is a bit too close for most systems to be effective as I understand especially in an artillery barrage scenario. This is why the THAAD is so controversial. It's nice to have, but unnecessary considering the other threats it won't deter (artillery) and the political fallout it leads to (China retaliating economically against South Korea). Not to mention, South Korea already possesses America's retaliation as a deterrent to a nuclear strike as covered above.

It is true that North Korea is growing in capability and there are valid fears that even if NK never attacks, they could still sell their nuclear technology. To this I say increase monitoring and disincentivize those countries or entities who would seek to buy. I hear the Iran deal is working out alright so far.

Nuclear technology will spread throughout the world as a matter of time just as gunpowder weapons did. It will be impossible to stop the proliferation of information but what we can do is deter the USE of this information by not pushing each other into corners. What we should do instead is invest heavily in defensive technology to preemptively castrate any possible threats by proliferating wealth and trade relationships with "problem" countries. We also need to remember though that the Korean war was a proxy war between Stalinist forces and US forces in the aftermath of World War 2.

Instead of dividing up Japan like we did Germany after the war, we divided up Korea who had been suffering from Japanese exploitation for 30+ years all because Korea is located in a more strategically significant location (next to China). We must therefore understand that NK's increased nuclear capabilities are also an extension of modern Russian and US relations. The two will avoid a direct confrontation but wherever they can they will try to top each other (see Ukraine, Syria, now North Korea).

If NK starts rampaging through Asia, sure let's wipe them out. But NK has yet to invade a country since ceasefire in 1953 (save for a brief stint with the NVA, which SK was on the other side of). Skirmishes have occurred, but neither side wants it to escalate any further.

To close, I want to emphasize the importance of building the relationship between the USA and SK, USA and China, and China and SK. The stronger these relationships are (read: better informed) the even less likely NK will dare to step out of line. China won't stop feeding NK behind the scenes so if the other relationships listed get complicated, we will have lost the long term war as China gets stronger by virtue of population and NK climbs out of poverty in the long run via the feeding tube.So long as America can align its desires for the status quo (as with China) by building up relationships with Countries around NK, we will continue to prevent war as we have the last 70 years. Mr. President, please feel free to ignore the NK threat as there is none in the face of America's overwhelming advantage in every respect. America, don't entertain the idea of striking preemptively and you won't give China and Russia any political ammo to shoot at us. If NK goes postal on SK then yeah let loose the hounds of war but till then rest easy as we have countermeasures in place already.

TLDR: If America wants peace it has one option. Better journalism. Stop talking about what NK is capable of and start talking about what NK wants: the status quo. Also include what WE are capable of in defensive terms. Should the bald eagle bat its eyes when the bunny bares its teeth?

Comment

Manafort's home was raided by FBI pre dawn the morning after he met the Intelligence committee That corresponds with the time Trump went all twitter rage 'its my ball' on Mueller.
                                                                          Shit is getting real.
                                                                          I would have thought he wouldn't be stupid enough to be in possession of anything juicy at home by then.

Comment

https://www.laposte.fr/particulier/o...=CC770491813FR
                                                                            You will probably find that DPD will be the delivery agents here but there is a good chance of the tracking getting lost in translation.

On an unrelated note... moving sucks!
                                                                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

I struggle to see how a nuke would even get near the US mainland?

Seems like everyone is talking waffle at the moment.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

North Korea is believed to be have about 1,000 ballistic missiles, kept under the control of the Strategic Rocket Forces, based in South Pyongan Province outside the capital, Pyongyang.

"In the last two years, however, the North Korean military has stepped up its test launches of a number of new missile variants, demonstrating with the most recent launches that they can travel more than 7,400 miles."

Comment

How come you don't believe anything else he says but you believe this?
                                                                                  SP didn't say he believed it.

I think the point is that it's an insanely dangerous thing for the President of the USA to say.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                    Men V Wimmin …A soliders tale.

I cheated at paintball once, I rubbed off the paint and continued to glory , capturing the flag as I stormed their base.

I enjoyed the taste of glory.

This however backfired as I forgot to wash my hands and ate the paint with my sambo during a lunch break.

It was nothing serious but had the reverse placebo effect on me. I thought I was going to die. (I didn’t fyi)

There were wimmin on both teams and whilst they were as bloodthirsty as the rest of us they were a bit crybaby when the gun was fired from close range plus they were very judgemental on the cheating. It was only a game and I got unlucky via a ricochet

but the rules are rules wimmin wouldn’t let it go.This led to several illegal close range cry baby inducing shots in the next few games.

I didn’t cry when my trousers were ruined nor did I cry when I got ordered to the firing range for cheating (ratted out by da wimmin) .

Not one bloke objected , twas only the wimmin. It’s always the same, the wimmin ruin everything. Wimmin eh?
                                                                                    Paintball is a rubbish because people cheat and no-one enforces the rules. I'm with the wimmin on this one.

Comment

fear as a distraction (for trump & co) and conflict is clickbait (for media).
                                                                                      MSM hold the high horse and (rightly) calls out the craziness of the current US administration.
                                                                                      But as soon as a sniff of war comes along, explosions and projected death tolls will top the front page. It also ties nicely in with the trump will kill us all narrative.

NK want respect, the want the ability to sit at the big boys table as a nuclear power. It's a game they are playing quite a while to push and then back down. As soon as they have demonstrably proved they have ICBM abilities, proper diplomacy will take over. Until then it is sabre rattling on all sides.
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

State dept desperately trying to backtrack now, almost impossible without them actually stating our leader is a moron but they are doing their best.

The way Kim snap called his bluster and have left him, and by extension the USA, look like blithering idiots was quite a humiliation for the administration.

We are dealing with two of the bottom five world leaders here, PRK have the capability but are unlikely to press play.
                                                                                        Trump is desperate, insecure and stupid enough to try to do something even more stupid than last nights idiocy but I doubt they would let him actually fire one off... there are some adults around aren't there?

Comment

"Trump's spiritual advisor"

What a time to be alive!

Comment

Paintball is a rubbish because people cheat and no-one enforces the rules. I'm with the wimmin on this one.
                                                                                            Has my story taught you nothing. I faced the firing squad. Wimmin are dangerous . Cheating makes presidents . Hero's out of Frenchmen and fitz dealers get to hone their dealing skills :-)

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/fa...ssiles-travel/

"In the last two years, however, the North Korean military has stepped up its test launches of a number of new missile variants, demonstrating with the most recent launches that they can travel more than 7,400 miles."
                                                                                              Yes they can travel 7,400 miles.
                                                                                              I mean it more as... surely the US have some defence systems set up for this.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                              SP didn't say he believed it.

I think the point is that it's an insanely dangerous thing for the President of the USA to say.
                                                                                              Fair.

Comment

Conditions in London are appalling. I ve never seen the water jump in the steeple chase overflowing in that manner. Makes for a seriously difficult jump for the ladies at the moment. Good few girls falling in waist deep lol.

Comment

Conditions in London are appalling. I ve never seen the water jump in the steeple chase overflowing in that manner. Makes for a seriously difficult jump for the ladies at the moment. Good few girls falling in waist deep lol.
                                                                                                  weather absolutely disgusting here, threw on the Women's Rugby and it looks glorious back home.

Comment

Glorious sunshine here all day. About 20degrees or so. Currently sitting in the back garden with homemade spag bol and a couple of cold beers.

Comment

Yes they can travel 7,400 miles.
                                                                                                      I mean it more as... surely the US have some defence systems set up for this.
                                                                                                      From my limited knowledge of it, they do; but its a very difficult thing to do and you only have to let one through for catastrophe to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                        weather absolutely disgusting here, threw on the Women's Rugby and it looks glorious back home.
                                                                                                        Where are they playing? Definitely looks glorious

Comment

Where are they playing? Definitely looks glorious

Never mind they just said ucd. Thought it looked familiar

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            Ah Whist, would ya! Its like the only time this century its rained for more than a couple of hours in that Landhan

Comment

Ah Whist, would ya! Its like the only time this century its rained for more than a couple of hours in that Landhan
                                                                                                              16 degrees during day; no wind to speak of, soft enough says Dan!

Comment

My American m8 who's visiting soon wants to know how hard would it be to get tickets for the hurling final and how you would go about that. Any tips m8s?
                                                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My American m8 who's visiting soon wants to know how hard would it be to get tickets for the hurling final and how you would go about that. Any tips m8s?
                                                                                                                  Tell him to start ridin some Camogie player from Galway and hope for the best!

Comment

Extremely hard with the hurling every year but more so this year with Galway looking likely to win their first one in a long time. Wouldn't know how to go about it unless you know a gaa club member that could apply for a ticket?

Comment

I'd imagine this year will be hardest in a while given Kilkenny and tipp aren't there ,have been easier to pick up on the day in recent years than the football

Comment

I agree with the people who said small babies are essentially just needy lumps with no payback at all apart from the unerring cuteness and some contented cuddles just after feeds mostly. I'm looking forward to the more interactive phases of things.

Comment

Depends. If Cork win Sunday then it will be very difficult due to the population down there and the big bandwagon effect this year. A Waterford-Galway final will see the usual scramble in the preceding weeks but plenty of tickets available by the Thursday of AI final week as people end up stuck with extras from seeking them out of different sources.

In short, likely to not guarantee one until very close to the game and Up the Deise.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X