Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
    Tell them nothing. No incentive in it for you. Change all the passwords before you leave too.
    I'm not that harsh.
    I've dealt with previous people leaving time bombs in their code and the fuckers they are mad at are never the ones that get the brunt of cleaning it up.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Usenet? wtf ? I remember using Usenet and more so IRC in the 90's. Things really have gone full circle.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
            Ceaser what an Ape. great movie .
            Bad ape, Meh movie. Bog standard western with cgi monkeys.Not a patch on the first one.
            Other people should be banned from cinemas.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Is that a while you've been working at vod dp? Seems like ages anyway. Seems a shitty way for them to end it
              Very much so. Would be 8 years there November.
              I could tell some stories but maybe not on a public forum.
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I thought Westworld was a bit of mindfcuk but up to episode 5 of Legion and getting to the scream at screen stage "What the Fek?"
                Loving it despite not really knowing whats going on but understanding it at same time

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                    Usenet? wtf ? I remember using Usenet and more so IRC in the 90's. Things really have gone full circle.

Opr
                    It's big especially for people who automate their downloading, maybe even more so than private torrents. (Or at least it was four or five years ago when I looked into it)

Comment

Juicy old tale.

New details emerge about the alleged murder of Jason Corbett by his wife and father-in-law.G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106248485046923839565Youtube: http...
                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I'd give her one tbf.

When the Father pops out of the wardrobe i'd bate him.

Comment

He is coming for the canz. This guy.

Comment

Comment

Other than El Tren definitely winning the last, any tips for Leopardstown tonight?

Comment

Comment

Didn't minimum unit pricing already get shlapped by the EU?
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                    Didn't minimum unit pricing already get shlapped by the EU?
                                    Not in clear enough terms, unfortunately.
                                    They said it could only be used where a better way to achieve the aims couldn't be found, which seems to have allowed the Irish government to say 'oh yes sireee we have carefully examined every other way and found that this is the best'.

Comment

The chlorinated chicken thing is more of an animal welfare issue than a safe eating issue I think. The chlorine washing gets rid of salmonella and various other diseases and bacteria - this means there is no need to guard against these diseases whilst the chicken is alive so you've an immediate reduction in rearing costs as you have less health and safety inspections to worry about.

Hopefully this aspect of it gains some traction, currently the UK government is doing a good job keeping the debate centred around the safety of consumption.

Comment

Seems strange for the gov to go specifically after poor consumers

Especially when:

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

If Karl Brophy is making a point its probably because he's been paid to make that point but interesting nevertheless

He's pretty libertarian on things like this. He is working for the anti side here, but he's written about it in the past pro-bono.

Maybe poor people have more of a problem with alcohol?
                                                Charging them more seems like a great solution when their demand is going to be inelastic

Comment

Don't think minimum pricing has much of an effect on the vast majority of supermarket drinks? Mainly just 8% beers being sold for a euro.
                                                  Minimum price of a can of 4.3% basic beer would be around €1.97 under the most recent set of figures I saw, so its a fairly noticeable increase.
                                                  Even those smugly content that they currently purchase at a €2+ price point and think it won't affect them might not be so happy eventually. I don't know the technical name but isn't there a marketing concept where you price your superior product 33-50% dearer than the cheap stuff to emphasise its quality, so there could be some upward price pressure on products that won't come directly under minimum pricing.

Comment

Its just a sop that will have some impact on the worst health problems.

Replacing all the money spent on advertising and marketing alcohol with draconian taxes that directly fund health services is what is really needed.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Maybe poor people have more of a problem with alcohol?

Think its mainly a mindset rather than a pricing thing, and alcohol is already stupidly expensive. So can't imagine this is much of a solution.

The well-known issue with Irish people is the drinking in binges rather than evenly which is particularly destructive for health, even if it doesn't show up in averages.

Strange how everyone has reduced their intake across nearly every country except Lithuania?

If Karl Brophy is making a point its probably because he's been paid to make that point but interesting nevertheless
                                                          Pub alcohol is stupidly expensive. Off-sales are stupidly cheap. Most problem drinkers are doing it at home, we should be balancing this out.
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Its just a sop that will have some impact on the worst health problems.

Replacing all the money spent on advertising and marketing alcohol with draconian taxes that directly fund health services is what is really needed.
                                                            You don't really believe any of that do you?

Comment

Internet's a strange place...

I received a lots of suggestions about donald trump singing despacito, at the first i sayed "No, that's impossible" and a few week later I told myself let's ...

Comment

*if*, and they won't do this, the extra money raised was put into stuff like alternative things to do in the evening except sit in and drink - e.g. funding fetes, than that would be rather cool. There's a big lack of things to do on an evening once you exclude drinking.
                                                                There'll be very little if any extra money raised - the best way of raising money would have been an excise duty increase but this would affected the publicans/hoteliers price too etc.
                                                                A more likely result is the complete withdrawal of products like the €5 bottle of wine or the €1.20 can. Its not going to be the can of Dutch Gold selling at €2 and the extra 80c going to government.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                  You don't really believe any of that do you?
                                                                  Absolutely, asides from the fact that it is by far the biggest substance misuse issue transferring enormous cost onto the health system, as part of our overhauling of drugs policy we should place alcohol where it belongs relative to the individual harm it causes. That would put it somewhere amongst what are currently class 1 substances.

The disparity between the reality of alcohol use and advertising makes the ladbrokes ads we were so dismissive of recently look like documentaries if you don't understand that you are in complete denial of reality.
                                                                  Thats is not really an argument for prohibition of marketing of damaging substances though, the real argument is about the right to use marketing to sell products that are damaging to the health of individuals and society. I'm very much in favour of strong regulation of all sorts of marketing including medicines, food, gambling and much more.

Comment

Comment

I was just thinking the other day while watching a lad I grew up with literally falling into a gutter that whats more remarkable than the amount of lads I know that are dead from booze is the number of hard core alcos, lads who got right down to the bottom of the barrell in their thirties that are still dragging along as they approach their sixties. How does the body put up with that much punishment?
                                                                      Last edited by Strewelpeter; 27-07-17, 12:30.

Comment

well there will still be a significant excise increase even if that was the case. Let's say 20% of the drinking population drink €5 wine (or as we call it in France; an outlandishly expensive bottle of wine) or €1.20 beer and then those products are withdrawn they'll either:

1. stop drinking (massively unlikely)
                                                                        2. reduce their drinking (the purpose of the legislation, but unlikely), or
                                                                        3. switch to more expensive alcohol products which have more excess duty attached to them due to their higher price (most likely)

The switch to products with more excise attached to them will increase excise take.
                                                                        You've got excise duty wrong in your head, its not related to overall price at all. Its purely calculated as a fixed price per ml of alcohol.
                                                                        So the €50 bottle of 13% abv that Gimmeabreak buys on the way home from work on a Friday has the same excise duty as my €7 abv aldi bottle. He'll pay more VAT obviously.

Comment

I was just thinking the other day while watching a lad I grew up with literally falling into a gutter that whats more remarkable than the amount of lads I know that are dead from booze is the number of hard core alcos, lads who got right down to the bottom of the barrell in their thirties that are still dragging along as they approach their sixties. How does the body put up with that much punishment?
                                                                          That looks like that place SatNav dragged me to in Manchester a couple of years ago "The Printworks", awful hellhole of a spot.

Comment

Spicers even more useless replacement Scaramucci who yesterday said that Trump's battle to deprive 20 million plus people of healthcare was the same Lincoln's fight to abolish slavery has just gone on CNN this morning and admitted to obstruction of justice !

Nothing matters

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                              That looks like that place SatNav dragged me to in Manchester a couple of years ago "The Printworks", awful hellhole of a spot.
                                                                              Stayed in an apartment overlooking the printworks a few times, that's mild shenanigans by that place's standards

Comment

Supermarket's £9.65 gin wins silver medal at International Spirits Challenge, scoring higher than Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks

To aldi for some gin! Thanks Oliver Cromwell for giving back.

That's four years old but I saw something similar today in a paper about it.
                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-07-17, 13:18.

Comment

...

Comment

Must be quite a story behind this!

Comment

Must be quite a story behind this!
                                                                                      Indeed

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                        https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...abel-gin-taste

advertisement   A brand new Irish gin, to be sold in Aldi stores across the country starting today, has won the coveted Best Irish Gin award at the Irish Whiskey Awards 2016 in Co. Offaly. Boyle’s Premium Small Batch Irish Gin was awarded Best Irish Gin by an expert judging panel, which lauded the [&hellip

Boyles gin from aldi gets good reviews also.

Comment

Hi Guys - looking for some help if possible pls.

I have been using Photobucket to upload images on threads here for the longest time but now they have pulled the plug on free 3rd party hosting basically meaning I can't post any images unless I pay $400 a year to them.

I'm just wondering if there is another way to add pictures/posters to threads on here -I have tried to seek the answer in the FAQ's but am none the wiser really.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                          Laura

Comment

50/1 shot won the first at Yarmouth today. Just turned out they ran the wrong horse

The horse that won was supposed to be favourite in the 4th, same trainer. lol.
                                                                                            Last edited by Dice75; 27-07-17, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                              50/1 shot won the first at Yarmouth today. Just turned out they ran the wrong horse

The horse that won was supposed to be favourite in the 4th, same trainer. lol.
                                                                                              What happens there?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                What happens there?
                                                                                                No idea!

Race void i suppose?

Edit - BHA has 14 days to object to the winner

Last edited by Dice75; 27-07-17, 14:48.

Comment

Result still stands as of now as BHA have no idea what to do as its never happened to their knowledge before.
                                                                                                  But surely a DQ or just void the race.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Poker View Post
                                                                                                    Hi Guys - looking for some help if possible pls.

I have been using Photobucket to upload images on threads here for the longest time but now they have pulled the plug on free 3rd party hosting basically meaning I can't post any images unless I pay $400 a year to them.

I'm just wondering if there is another way to add pictures/posters to threads on here -I have tried to seek the answer in the FAQ's but am none the wiser really.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                                                                                                    Laura
                                                                                                    Imgur is very easy to use
                                                                                                    Google photos works well too.

Comment

...

Comment

A couple of 2yo and a 3yo bay fillies It would be an easy enough mistake to make for stable staff who aren't completely familiar with the individual, or they could even have confused which horse was to run in each race. Much harder to excuse the trainer!
                                                                                                        You'll always see Brendan Sheridan or one of his colleagues in the parade ring before each race here scrupulously inspecting each horse and checking them off a list that includes identifiable marks. That is in addition to the horses being scanned in and out of the stable yard.

Comment

Imgur is very easy to use
                                                                                                          Google photos works well too.
                                                                                                          Thanks a mill - I've figured Imgur out now and I'm good to go again.

Thank you

Comment

Such a dodgy sport. Not that I'd call it sport.

Comment

Culinary Question/ Worry,

I have been eating sashimi for years. usually Salmon or Tuna. Lately I have also been using wild brown trout. I freeze it first as I do for salmon for a week then thaw in fridge to kill any bacteria.
                                                                                                              A friend of mine has told me that freshwater fish are rife with bacteria and freezing wont work and its a health risk to eat raw trout. I scoffed at him but I have a lovely piece waiting for me in fridge ready to thinly slice and dip in soy/garlic/chilli dipping sauce and now wondering if its worth the risk.

Googling just confused me more.

Wish people would just shut up!

Is it safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...abel-gin-taste

BBV brings you the news when it happens

Also you directly

Q - http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ostcount=55397

A - http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ostcount=55398
                                                                                                                Last edited by Emmet; 27-07-17, 18:15.

Comment

Minimum pricing for alcohol really seems like targetting the many because of the few. I can see the van and the ferry to France taking off in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

I have been eating sashimi for years. usually Salmon or Tuna. Lately I have also been using wild brown trout. I freeze it first as I do for salmon for a week then thaw in fridge to kill any bacteria.
                                                                                                                    A friend of mine has told me that freshwater fish are rife with bacteria and freezing wont work and its a health risk to eat raw trout. I scoffed at him but I have a lovely piece waiting for me in fridge ready to thinly slice and dip in soy/garlic/chilli dipping sauce and now wondering if its worth the risk.

Is it safe?
                                                                                                                    You should be eating sushi-grade fish, don't think a quick freeze in the home freezer does the job of killing all of the parasites/bacteria. There's a certain treatment it has to go through.

Comment

zuutair booze flights added to the business plan. Could get 100 bottles in the back handy enough. Four hour round trip rather than 40.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post

Is it safe?
                                                                                                                        Freezing is doing nothing for you here, freezing only postpones their growth and does nothing to stop it.
                                                                                                                        Water quality and speed to table are the the most important things.
                                                                                                                        I'd have no problem with trout out of a lake that I would swim in as long as they are eaten within a few hours and stored well in the time they are out of the water.

Comment

Dunno if anyone saw the video of the lad knocking one out driving down the M50 (i hadnt) but it was just pointed out to me in the Fitz that if u watch the last couple of seconds you see a Paddy Power staff parking sticker on the window. And he was in there in the same fairly identifiable clothes. You cant get away with it anywhere these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X