Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
    Nigel Evans: Manifesto cost us, telling people about cuts cost us

Not, we shouldn't cut, we shouldn't tell people about cuts
    Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

The big lesson in these populist times is you have to get out in front of folk and lead rather than sit back and try to play safe
    ...people are much more likely to change their allegiances so there are more votes up for grabs.
    Corbyn was a revelation and as well as just getting out and talking to people Labour absolutely crushed social media. I do try to have a non echo chamber twitter feed and the only memorable Tory piece in the whole campaign was the sub Alan Partridge lads video the other day! Labour were well supported by a relentless stream of well judged memes.

I'd struggle to think of a worse run election campaign than this one from May.
    She had a single issue election about which there was a sense of Dunkirk spirit at large. All she needed to do was answer anything that was not directly a brexit issue with 'The government is on course and we will continue to do as it has been doing, this election is only about strengthening our negotiating position in Europe' and bang 50 seat majority locked up. Instead she goes out day one and tells middle England that she will sell your house from under you if your partner needs long term care, lets call it a dementia tax!
    Not turning up to debate Corbyn was another huge misjudgment and shows how little confidence her handlers had in her. Terror attacks probably worked out neutral with the instinctive turn towards conservatism neutralised by the cuts in policing she had personally implemented.

Osborne must be beginning to realise what complete Gobshite he has made of himself writing pisspoor headlines for the Standard instead of being first in the queue to replace her
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Having said what I said above, these people being seen as the face of the other lot in the north will do the shinners no harm
      You will hear the exact same shite from many prominent Shinners, just not in public

Comment

Shirley puts any small leanings Leo had towards a snap election to bed. FF now have to gauge how long they can leave him there in a good news economy environment.

GE in 2018 5/4 free money

SPOILER
        Just so GAB can quote it back in Jan 2019

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
          Shirley puts any small leanings Leo had towards a snap election to bed. FF now have to gauge how long they can leave him there in a good news economy environment.

GE in 2018 5/4 free money

SPOILER
          Just so GAB can quote it back in Jan 2019
          Snap election with a manifesto that the "squeezed middle" can resonate with is a different proposition to running a campaign of "trust me I'm not FF or SF" that's the key lesson.

If Leo goes hiding and tries to play safe he's going to have his ass handed to him whenever he calls a general election.

If anything these last few elections should embolden politicians to start going for it a bit more which is to be generally welcomed. Too much medocrity and civil service running things of the basis of the same old same old.
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

DUP cant form a government with Tories can they? That would make the stormount talks to re-establish an executive a farce and unobtainable as the negotiating parties would then be, Tory+DUP, DUP, SF and Irish Government. Maybe DUP happy to let talks fail if they have the Tories on their side in a direct rule situation

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
              DUP cant form a government with Tories can they? That would make the stormount talks to re-establish an executive a farce and unobtainable as the negotiating parties would then be, Tory+DUP, DUP, SF and Irish Government. Maybe DUP happy to let talks fail if they have the Tories on their side in a direct rule situation
              The DUP are running the show now. Teresa May going to see the Queen at lunch is basiscally giving the DUP a blank cheque.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Checked Euro rate as I am heading off for hols in Menorca on Monday and had bought my Euros 2 days ago. Saved the price of a bottle of Rioja

Comment

Its a reflection of how irrelevant SDLP have become in the last 20 years that they aren't even a viable alternative for nationalist voters. Problem in the North is that if there is a "Them" then it needs an "Us" to counter it. Not mature enough socially and politically to vote based on anything other than tribalism. Campaigning on actual "issues" up here is bringing a knife to a gun fight imo. All this sectarian bitterness will fade through time and interaction with each other, current ruling generation still bear scars of relatives deaths, next generation will be less venomous, generation after that will wonder what all the fuss was about 30 years ago.
                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                    The DUP are running the show now. Teresa May going to see the Queen at lunch is basiscally giving the DUP a blank cheque.
                    She is going to form a minority and a few deals done with DUP will be........

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                      My apologies - I must have confused your posts here with your posts on boards.
                      9 months ago??

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                        Its a reflection of how irrelevant SDLP have become in the last 20 years that they aren't even a viable alternative for nationalist voters. Problem in the North is that if there is a "Them" then it needs an "Us" to counter it. Not mature enough socially and politically to vote based on anything other than tribalism. Campaigning on actual "issues" up here is bringing a knife to a gun fight imo. All this sectarian bitterness will fade through time and interaction with each other, current ruling generation still bear scars of relatives deaths, next generation will be less venomous, generation after that will wonder what all the fuss was about 30 years ago.
                        We hope that'll be the case anyhow!

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                          I hope you are right but I'm not so optimistic. Good Friday institutionalised sectarianism, there has been no progress towards long term cultural change especially integrated schooling which in IMO is the one thing that could drive it. Too many old soldiers remain in control in SF and as soon as there is a border there will be a border campaign. If that starts again there is no prospect of an electoral settlement. All it will take is a small criminal faction with a vested interest in borders and fear to fill the heads of a few stupid kids with hatred and we could be back to square one in months.
                          The only hope in the medium term is that we in the Republic somehow manage to turn ourselves into a place that a million British people would want to be a part of in return for remaining part of Europe.
                          Getting from here to there in an atmosphere of complete and utter clusterfuck surrounding a world where Stormont is dead in the water and the DUP are propping up a broken Tory government sounds impossible.
                          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 09-06-17, 10:54.

Comment

Corbyn will get to bash the Conservatives about the DUP's regressive social policies and bigotry. Seems like a problematic arrangement, to say the least.
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Crusaders to beat the Lions by 13 +. 11/4. On it.

Comment

Any signs of defections in the Tories yet? You have to imagine a few of the pro remain guys will be starting to mumble about wanting a new leader or they wont get on board.

Comment

Driving to the palace is always the exciting bit

eddit: hmm, won't let me just post the link to 3m28s in

Comment

A lot of the tacit tolerance of the IRA's campaign was based on huge wealth and civil rights disparities. The places in Newry that would have pro-IRA were borderline ghettos in the 80s. Nowadays a lot more owner-occupiers, steady jobs, decent cars etc. Its a different dynamic altogether. The Unionist side now see their influence slipping, and use it as a short term justification to go into siege mode and whip up the troops, rather than focus on education, job creation etc. There is an element that would rather wallow in self-pity and blame Taigs/Polish/Govt for their crappy lives. DUP will be presiding over the evisceration of this element's benefits economy too, hard to spin their way out of that one with no one else in Westminster.

Comment

Picture displays situation here best.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          365 Tory seats imo
                                          Just pointing out the moment it went wrong for May
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Me and Dobbs are going for pince later if anyone's around?
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Tories increased their share of the popular vote by 5.5%. Really should have learned the lesson from Trump.

Comment

airport, lol

Comment

clearly blew all the video budget on the soundtrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    No relation.
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      Me and Dobbs are going for pince later if anyone's around?
                                                      Could sneak in for a swift one or 2 after work. Where you thinking - Nealons?

Comment

Gaza daft as a brush

Comment

What sort of price would I expect to get on a Corbyn premiership in 2019?
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                            Could sneak in for a swift one or 2 after work. Where you thinking - Nealons?
                                                            Unfortunately I've choir practice after work. Sure you could come along to that. Could be in Nealons about 7.15 if that's not too late for ya?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                              Better chance than Klopp

Comment

Congrats on smashing the 30k thanks barrier last night Hitch, It was one of the more productive elements of my evening.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                  Unfortunately I've choir practice after work. Sure you could come along to that. Could be in Nealons about 7.15 if that's not too late for ya?
                                                                  I will leave the singing to you and will be long gone home by 7.15

Comment

Chelsea be hard bet.

Comment

Ruth Davidson @12/1 a decent bet for next Tory leader? as short as 4's in places

Rudd should get it but might be damaged by contact with May and they might look for a fresh start

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Seems like the reaction over the water to the Tories jumping into bed with the DUP is pretty bad.

Doing themselves further damage here surely, wonder how long it will be before people in the party start to think being associated with them is bad for business.

Comment

Wawrinka just pummeled Murray in that 5th set. Will be a good final against Nadal (assuming he gets there). He pulled out some awesome shots throughout the game and seems in great form with something left in the tank even though he was out there forever!

Nadal's record might be 15-3 v Wawrinka, but the last 6 meetings have been 3-3 and that includes 1 straight sets win a piece on Outdoor Clay

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                              Picture displays situation here best.

Is that a map of the RHI boilers installations?

Comment

on a totally different note one of my mates, a Brazilian lad has just had his first kid. Sent him on a gif of the Babeto celebration from France 94.

Turns out that baby has been a pro footballer for 5 years - I may be getting old.
                                                                                Last edited by RichieM; 09-06-17, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                  Seems like the reaction over the water to the Tories jumping into bed with the DUP is pretty bad.

Doing themselves further damage here surely, wonder how long it will be before people in the party start to think being associated with them is bad for business.
                                                                                  It's great craic isn't it?

I love the fact that everyone over there is referring to them as 'The Irish', they'd love that. Their government will be slaughtered by public opinion.

The schadenfreude is strong today.

Comment

It's great craic isn't it?

I love the fact that everyone over there is referring to them as 'The Irish', they'd love that. Their government will be slaughtered by public opinion.

The schadenfreude is strong today.
                                                                                    Most tories probably don't care though, so most of the reactions ye are seeing is from people who wouldn't vote for them anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                      Most tories probably don't care though, so most of the reactions ye are seeing is from people who wouldn't vote for them anyhow.
                                                                                      Ruth Davidson, the openly gay leader of the Conservative Party in Scotland is probably not so keen on the coalition or support of the chrIStIan State party.

Comment

Maybot going full Marco Rubio in her interviews today; same sentences​ over and over again

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          Ruth Davidson, the openly gay leader of the Conservative Party in Scotland is probably not so keen on the coalition or support of the chrIStIan State party.
                                                                                          She has slagged them off a good few times in past and is in papers today having a shot(might be old interview though)

Comment

Maybot going full Marco Rubio in her interviews today; same sentences​ over and over again
                                                                                            She's truly pathetic.

One thing that stuck with me was the comment she made about the possibility of Corbyn negotiating with Europe.

"He would be going in there naked and alone, and I know that's not a nice mental image'

Can you imagine the outrage if he had said that?

Him rising above all those insults and personal attacks, and not responding showed pure class imo, and was a big part of the party's success.

Comment

Labour wan running in Kensington comes across as a right dick; I'd nearly be happy for the Tories to keep the seat

Comment

BBC4, 11pm until 1am.

Watch it if you're staying in, record it if you're going out, either way thank me later.

Comment

anyone else do yoga here?

have now been doing Vinyasa yoga for 5 months, and find it incredible, physically (massive benefits to my rotator cuff issues and hip flexibility), but have not seen much of a "spiritual" benefit, unless you count being completely infatuated by my 2 stunning yoga teachers. i'm not sure if "it" or "they" are my crack cocaine these days, but i look forward to my sessions every day

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                    No but i've been considering getting into it and this seems to be a glowing reference for Vinyasa.

Best resource for a bit of research? (Pic of teachers welcome also).

Comment

have now been doing Vinyasa yoga for 5 months, and find it incredible, physically (massive benefits to my rotator cuff issues and hip flexibility), but have not seen much of a "spiritual" benefit, unless you count being completely infatuated by my 2 stunning yoga teachers. i'm not sure if "it" or "they" are my crack cocaine these days, but i look forward to my sessions every day
                                                                                                      My mate has a neigbour that offers yoga and massage, he goes there regularly with another of his neighbour buddies. She messaged him a couple of weeks ago and asked him would he like to come over for a massage.

He headed over to her, was there on his own. While she was massaging his upper thighs he blew his beans and had to limp home.

Been avoiding her ever since.

Comment

Read avoiding as advocating

Comment

Pince!!

Comment

Do you go to Candy?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                              No but i've been considering getting into it and this seems to be a glowing reference for Vinyasa.

Best resource for a bit of research? (Pic of teachers welcome also).
                                                                                                              not much research, just serendipity.
                                                                                                              joined my local gym when my contract ended in my last job which had a gym in the office i used to go to every day.
                                                                                                              Anyway, in my new gym, i heard people talking saying how amazing the yoga class was, and just to give a bit of background, i've been doing weights for 11 years and weigh 103 kgs. My wife has been doing it for years and does 3 or 4 hours a week and absolutely loves it, but it just never appealed to me so yoga is really not in my DNA!

For some inexplicable reason i decided to give it a try and did! I thought it was okay but definitely felt it was going to do good to my joints.
                                                                                                              Went for a few weeks, then my wife joined me because i kept telling her how good and tough it was (and that's part of the crux, it's fucking tough and i sweat buckets every session!!), and she thought it was amazing also, so i've been going now for 5 months on saturday morning, and now also go on the thursday evening.
                                                                                                              Every session is different, which really challenges you, and there's always a theme, heart and chest, shouders, hips, etc. and the breathing is incredibly tough, long elongated constant breathing through the nose, which i still haven't mastered, but i'm definitely getting.

and here's who i love practicing with. inspirational!

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                Do you go to Candy?
                                                                                                                i don't even dare ask...

Comment

shraaaaaap!

dirty dog
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

i don't even dare ask...
                                                                                                                    She's the yoga teacher at the place by us. My missus is turning for her...

Comment

Mrs DIII bought me this.

Will somewhat dignify my frenzied purchasing in a few weeks. 700 pages.
                                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

BBC4, 11pm until 1am.

Watch it if you're staying in, record it if you're going out, either way thank me later.
                                                                                                                        Would also recommend the Sgt. Peppers doc starting right now on BBC4.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                          Mrs DIII bought me this.

Will somewhat dignify my frenzied purchasing in a few weeks. 700 pages.
                                                                                                                          Bought a wine fridge that can hold about 50 bottles. Disappointing 15 or so in there so far. Hope to stick a few nice ones in the luggage on the way back form Bordeaux in Aug.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X