Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got on Lloyd’s white hag loyalty bonus last night
    When that’s gone I’m going on Perlenbacher/Hackenberg only, might as well get used to it that’s our future
    There won’t be a recovery and those of us who hang on to our jobs won’t be getting any extra services for the massive wedge we’ll be handing over

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      When that’s gone I’m going on Perlenbacher/Hackenberg only, might as well get used to it that’s our future
      There won’t be a recovery and those of us who hang on to our jobs won’t be getting any extra services for the massive wedge we’ll be handing over
      I've a headache just reading the word Hackenberg.
      airport, lol

Comment

Why? We know with virtual certainty that the worst case scenario is vaccine in ~12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Why? We know with virtual certainty that the worst case scenario is vaccine in ~12 months.
          I've heard PSVs take a few times today. Was there some report/piece somewhere that is pushing the line of nothing being normal again?

Saw Cuomo say it. But doubt thats the source thats causing it to be propagated.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

What do you think is going to happen to the world economy if it can’t return to normality for 12 months (best case)
            I’m hoping they find some treatment but even if they find it tomorrow not all those jobs are coming back

Comment

I’d say financial markets will recover within 18 months as a combination of helicopter money and hopefully a vaccine coming on stream lead to a reemergence of greed and hope.

Main Street will definitely take longer to get back to close to where we were - I’m guesstimating 3-4 years. This thing is going to leave a lot of scars...lots of consulting opportunities too...business is picking up nicely already.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

What do you think is going to happen to the world economy if it can’t return to normality for 12 months (best case)
                I’m hoping they find some treatment but even if they find it tomorrow not all those jobs are coming back
                I would say that's the worst case...things will be phased back in starting in the not too distant future. Literally everyone on the planet is focused on getting out of this thing with the least amount of damage possible right now. The current status quo is just keeping a lid on this while data is gathered and science and to a lesser extent, economics, is done. If you look at the infected-recovered-susceptible modelling and add in home testing, geolocation tracking of cases, and ultimately the vaccine that will be the path out.
                If the world got back on its feet after a 5 year war, I think we'll get out of this.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-04-20, 22:15.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                  ...business is picking up nicely already.
                  We are seeing an increase in leads and questions about our timesheet, and project management products.

Very early to say but its stands to reason.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    We are seeing an increase in leads and questions about our timesheet, and project management products.

Very early to say but its stands to reason.
                    I was never as busy as I was in 2009/2010. A crisis leads to lots of consulting needs.

From a revenue perspective we’ve had too much stability and everything doing well leading to complacency the last few years. Important to manage debtors and work for folk who can afford you and will pay you, but once you stay on top of that it’s an opportunity. I work with a bunch of folk who aren’t ambitious enough but I see nothing but opportunities.

I also hilariously applied for a new job two weeks ago in the eye of this storm. Chance favours the prepared mind.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      It's for giving to sick calves
                      Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                      This quote says it all.

While there are legitimate, hopefully short term, lab equipment shortages world wide, the ramp up us going to be a massive challenge.

The jump from 600 to twice that, a 100% increase in capacity in a month, is a fine achievement. Going beyond that is going to be a gargantuan push.

You need proper labs, highly skilled experienced lab technicians, equipment, management, systems and processes, IT capacity, logistics of moving samples, quality systems and supply chains.

This shit is tough and can't be done overnight. A 10 fold increase in the next 4 weeks is the stuff of miracles. If I were tasked with pulling this together I would welcome the breathing space a global supply problem would bring.
                      Apropos of sick calves the Enfer lab is due on stream next week. This is a lab that processes 1.5 million calf tests each year. They will be working 24 hours per day over two shifts so capacity should massively increase with them on board.

Comment

66 movies here:
                        SPOILER

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                          I was never as busy as I was in 2009/2010. A crisis leads to lots of consulting needs.

From a revenue perspective we’ve had too much stability and everything doing well leading to complacency the last few years. Important to manage debtors and work for folk who can afford you and will pay you, but once you stay on top of that it’s an opportunity. I work with a bunch of folk who aren’t ambitious enough but I see nothing but opportunities.

I also hilariously applied for a new job two weeks ago in the eye of this storm. Chance favours the prepared mind.
                          I am part of a Slack group, basically a group of tech/product/design heads that throw ideas together, design stuff, build pocs and the rest and I was only asking the question today:

What business is best placed to launch in the next 4 months? Or what idea would benefit from the fact its industry is closed up at the moment?

On your revenue point, yes, when revenue dries up lots of business owner, and senior managers focus on cost, and thats why we see a jump in interest. I share your sentiment though, there is going to opportunity everywhere.

Comment

Not too sure if it says more about me or the BBV, but the imminent / ongoing apocalypse has had me lurking these pages again. Lots of good stuff to pass away the sudden spike in free time!

I've also been using some of that time to do some writing. If anyone wants to check out a short-story that has absolutely nothing to do with Coronavirus, feel free to take a look:

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                I am part of a Slack group, basically a group of tech/product/design heads that throw ideas together, design stuff, build pocs and the rest and I was only asking the question today:

What business is best placed to launch in the next 4 months? Or what idea would benefit from the fact its industry is closed up at the moment?

On your revenue point, yes, when revenue dries up lots of business owner, and senior managers focus on cost, and thats why we see a jump in interest. I share your sentiment though, there is going to opportunity everywhere.
                                Inspiring, did a bit of brainstorming here
                                Going to start exporting Chinese flags predoused in petrol to the US

Comment

The world was heading towards some form of crash anyway as the cycle was coming to it's natural end, so fuck knows how it being caused by this will effect things
                                  Last edited by Guest; 01-04-20, 23:03.

Comment

I would say that's the worst case...things will be phased back in starting in the not too distant future. Literally everyone on the planet is focused on getting out of this thing with the least amount of damage possible right now. The current status quo is just keeping a lid on this while data is gathered and science and to a lesser extent, economics, is done. If you look at the infected-recovered-susceptible modelling and add in home testing, geolocation tracking of cases, and ultimately the vaccine that will be the path out.
                                    If the world got back on its feet after a 5 year war, I think we'll get out of this.
                                    Really enjoyed reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                      This guy gives good updates each day on the state of things around the world in a 20-minute video. I found it a decent way to stay somewhat informed on events in other places without having to dive too much into media which can be a bit too all-consuming. He talked a little at the very end of today's video about a strip that they just started using in Thailand. You just do a finger prick and place the drop on a small strip. One line shows you haven't been affected while a second line shows the presence of Antibodies which means you either had it or have it. Why aren't these things being rolled out en masse all over the world? They don't seem like they should be hard to produce or cost much. I guess the accuracy maybe isn't great for testing people in the early stages of the disease but at least all the people waiting on tests who have since recovered could get some solace with this kind of simple test to say they have already had it.

Opr
                                      Accuracy is the issue with the antibody tests as far as I know. The UK have committed to purchase 3.5 million of them providing the tests can be shown to be accurate enough to be generally released. That validation is ongoing I believe.

If there will be an accurate antibody test available it certainly gives one pathway back to a more normal society, at least for those that have had the disease.

Comment

If someone can come up with a viable padded cell 4 x 4 to safely throw a mid-tantrum toddler into with some kind of gas that will effect their vocal chords temporarily, you will own the world . Although I am getting a full body workout as it is . How did our mudders do it ?

Comment

Adversity leads to innovation. Over the last few weeks, and the next few months. Companies are going to realise they have streamlines processes, and found efficiencies. VC, Comms, planning and tracking will all be new skills for a lot of people.
                                          This can increase output, but it can also reduce staff needs.

I'm still insanely busy. Working from home, but not really getting off until 9pm most nights. The nature of government clients and big tech trying to keep things moving nd having committed to projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                            What did we ever do as a nation to have Paddy Cosgrave thrust upon us
                                            Classic case of University events guy gets too big for his boots.

Comment

America reaches over 1000 deaths in a day.

I was surprised to hear Cuomo saying he is going to close playgrounds this week?

Florida is introducing a stay at home instruction. Churches and Synagogues not included as they are considered to be essential services.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                I would but I Can't Be Arsed
                                                Just saw this ..

Got sorted privately anyway
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                  66 movies here:
                                                  SPOILER

SPOILER

back to the future
                                                  ghosterbusters
                                                  looney tunes? manhole cover?
                                                  castaway
                                                  nightmare before christmas
                                                  v is for vendetta
                                                  tin tin?
                                                  halloween
                                                  jurassic park
                                                  the third element
                                                  total recall
                                                  taxi driver
                                                  alien?
                                                  empire strikesr2d2
                                                  star wars(c3po)
                                                  men in black
                                                  the birds
                                                  charlie and the chocolate factory
                                                  frankenstein
                                                  little green alien kids film cant remember
                                                  saw
                                                  scream
                                                  arachnaphobia
                                                  12 monkeys
                                                  zorro
                                                  idle hands?
                                                  best of luck getting 66 i know i missed a couple of obvious ones though

crap how do i spoiler?
                                                  Last edited by DeadParrot; 02-04-20, 02:07. Reason: Fixed spoilers

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                    Accuracy is the issue with the antibody tests as far as I know. The UK have committed to purchase 3.5 million of them providing the tests can be shown to be accurate enough to be generally released. That validation is ongoing I believe.

If there will be an accurate antibody test available it certainly gives one pathway back to a more normal society, at least for those that have had the disease.

I see this a bit, but we dont really know anything about the virus yet. It seems to have wildly different symptoms for lots of people, so not by extension but is there is a chance there is different 'strains' or can you get it more than once, and if you do, maybe it's worse etc etc etc?

Comment

change
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Theresa; 02-04-20, 00:36.

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                                                          Not too sure if it says more about me or the BBV, but the imminent / ongoing apocalypse has had me lurking these pages again. Lots of good stuff to pass away the sudden spike in free time!

I've also been using some of that time to do some writing. If anyone wants to check out a short-story that has absolutely nothing to do with Coronavirus, feel free to take a look:

https://medium.com/@carlopoppo/this-...s-73090518956e
                                                          Fantastic, thanks for sharing.

“Got with her? I fecking lamped her out of it lad."

Comment

QQ for the lads with a grasp on the property market.

My son has a deposit paid on his 1st house since February. Nothing signed as was waiting on the bank for mortgage approval.
                                                            Bank were on to him to say he was ok,ed for the mortgage, but it wouldnt be signed off on until hes back to work after we get back to opening the club whenever the government instructs.

So, do ye think property prices will drop a bit, a lot or crash after all this? Is he better off taking back his deposit and waiting it out? Advice appretiated.

Property is just outside Killarney if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                              The startup the wife works at is going through the roof at the moment. It's essentially like a poker HUD for stockmarket prop traders that works off their data (b2b model). Usage has exploded in last month or so as volatility has done likewise making everyone nervous as fuck, plus loads of hobby traders engaging with the market while they are stuck at home.
                                                              Her CPSU grandfarthers must be spinning in their urns.
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by connie147 View Post

So, do ye think property prices will drop a bit, a lot or crash after all this? Is he better off taking back his deposit and waiting it out? Advice appretiated.
                                                                When the likes of me are worried about the mental health of thetr estate agent acquaintances, it's probably not a good sign for the property market. I wouldn't be gamboling on it either way unless I had a huge pile of cash that needed cleaning.

Even the Tories in the UK have advised against signing off on property sales.

Comment

Branford and Wynton's old man died yesterday with CV19. He was 85 and was due to die of something I suppose. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Marsalis_Jr.

Comment

Questions around testing volumes, confirmed cases and backlogs are justifiable.
                                                                    However, we have to give credit to a government that gives us little reason to question their transparency during this crisis thus far.
                                                                    Backlogs & the availability of testing kits are simply global issues

We have tested a relatively huge number to date(30k+), average close contacts reduced from 20 -> 3, we've increased ICU capacity, testing facilities & step down facilities.

They are tangible and unambiguous successes. The US has reached a bottleneck even though testing continues to ramp.
                                                                    You have somewhere like California with 8 day wait times:
                                                                    SPOILER

Comment

Also an explanation of the complexity of what counts as a Covid19 death and the inevitable time lags: https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2020/03/31/c...irus-covid-19/

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                        I see this a bit, but we dont really know anything about the virus yet. It seems to have wildly different symptoms for lots of people, so not by extension but is there is a chance there is different 'strains' or can you get it more than once, and if you do, maybe it's worse etc etc etc?
                                                                        Did you have any follow up tests Sam? Or was it just one test?

Comment

The startup the wife works at is going through the roof at the moment. It's essentially like a poker HUD for stockmarket prop traders that works off their data (b2b model). Usage has exploded in last month or so as volatility has done likewise making everyone nervous as fuck, plus loads of hobby traders engaging with the market while they are stuck at home.
                                                                          I have a few clients who work in trading companies and the volatility has made business go through the roof. Likewise as V said consultancy's are hiring like crazy to keep up with demand.

Same as during the last recession big businesses or those sitting on enough liquidity will make huge strides and grow. They will get access to better engineers that usually wouldn't consider them but stability for the next 24 months will be key.

Smaller operations are being more cautious in some cases as they are concerned that collecting money will become tough as it becomes acceptable to lean on credit terms or impossible as the sector they build tech for has vanished over night.

If people are worried about the economy being dead in the water the fact that recruiters like myself are busy is a positive. I mean this as sensitively as possible as I know a lot of people did loose their jobs overnight but there is a lot of positive news in tech that is buried under all the Corona doom and gloom.

Saying that I wouldn't like to be a start up, just about to go for a series or ready to IPO.

Comment

I find it hard to decipher exactly what a US official means, how high up is that exactly? There was three tbf but how partisan they actually are is an obvious issue too.

That said, I was a tad surprised by the headline in Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...elligence-says

Perhaps their sources are solid but China Concealed Extent of Virus Outbreak, U.S. Intelligence Says
                                                                            seems a tad sensationalist when no sources are given.

I also thought if they were sitting on an intelligence report like that for a week then Trump would be saying a little more than:

“Their numbers seem to be a little bit on the light side, and I’m being nice when I say that,”

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

If people are worried about the economy being dead in the water the fact that recruiters like myself are busy is a positive.
                                                                                I have close to zero footprint on Linkedin so not sure how representative I am but I've had 5x the messages from recruiters in the past 2 weeks than I've had in the whole of the last 12-18 months.

I just thought with less interviews going on they were reaching out far more.

Comment

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
                                                                                  QQ for the lads with a grasp on the property market.

My son has a deposit paid on his 1st house since February. Nothing signed as was waiting on the bank for mortgage approval.
                                                                                  Bank were on to him to say he was ok,ed for the mortgage, but it wouldnt be signed off on until hes back to work after we get back to opening the club whenever the government instructs.

Property is just outside Killarney if that matters.
                                                                                  I just think you would have to be insane to commit to potentially the biggest financial transaction of your life at a time like this.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                      I have close to zero footprint on Linkedin so not sure how representative I am but I've had 5x the messages from recruiters in the past 2 weeks than I've had in the whole of the last 12-18 months.

I just thought with less interviews going on they were reaching out far more.
                                                                                      Based on what you post I think you are probably in one of the industries that is still going strong so more recruiters will have pivoted into those roles so more recruiters looking at the jobs you work in means more inmails I guess.

The other part of it is that since we cannot be out of the office meeting clients or candidates we are all doing a lot more sourcing. Usually most of my day is meetings either internal or external but now I have tons of time to source.

Comment

I know I mentioned A Gentleman In Moscow here a few days ago. Just put up a short review on the book thread.

If you want a book to make you smile and remove away the current state of things, this is it. I would most heartily recommend.
                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

Watched the new Disney 'Be Our Chef' last night, by myself. A new low in terms of entertainment.

I haven't watched it myself but I'm told that "Love is Blind" on Netflix is car crash stuff but people love it.

I've enjoyed a couple of series on RTE recently; "Inside the K" about the Gardai around Blanchardstown and the "Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week" a mild version of the Ranger Wing recruitment.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                              I just think you would have to be insane to commit to potentially the biggest financial transaction of your life at a time like this.
                                                                                              A lad on my team is going through with one in the next two weeks. I can't as his direct report do what i want(Scream at him he's a fucking moron) without it sounding like his job is under real threat.
                                                                                              Reality is we're all vulnerable and he's just not looking at it right. The house was not in demand and if he is going through with it, he should be offering 10-20% less and they'd still accept.

Comment

Bogband is not great but no bogband is a catastrophe.

Eircom seem to be proud of their ability to get someone to look at it in 3 - 5 working days

Left with poor mobile connection FML
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Eircom seem to be proud of their ability to get someone to look at it in 3 - 5 working days

This works perfect: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband...broadband.html

My old family home in Kildare bogland had it up too, well worth it.

Comment

I haven't watched it myself but I'm told that "Love is Blind" on Netflix is car crash stuff but people love it.

I've enjoyed a couple of series on RTE recently; "Inside the K" about the Gardai around Blanchardstown and the "Special Forces: Ultimate Hell Week" a mild version of the Ranger Wing recruitment.
                                                                                                    Inside the K is on Virgin, not RTE for anyone that goes looking for it. Well worth a watch too. Special forces is one of the best things RTE have produced for a long time. Think that was the 2nd season just finished and hope they bring it back again. As you say, mild version but great viewing if you can get past the cliches

Ozark is back on Netflix for anyone up to date on ir

Comment

I signed up to Imagine a few months ago. It is a game changer in terms of rural broadband.
                                                                                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I
                                                                                                        Bit of a flattening of history there!
                                                                                                        Good post but I think the optimism is premature when we still don’t know the pandemic endgame , then again people are always going to favour mommy tucking them into bed with a nice cup of cocoa and telling them everything’s going to be ok over contemplating the alternatives

Comment

Eir broadband is great as long as you don’t attempt to have any contact with their customer service. They really innovated it after the last crash

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                            I signed up to Imagine a few months ago. It is a game changer in terms of rural broadband.
                                                                                                            I appear to be in a blank spot for them... I'm supposed to be able to get ftth here but there is a problem in that I need to get a couple of trees cut down, procrastinated on doing that and I fear that one of those trees is the problem thats knocking us out now
                                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bit of a flattening of history there!
                                                                                                              Good post but I think the optimism is premature when we still don’t know the pandemic endgame , then again people are always going to favour mommy tucking them into bed with a nice cup of cocoa and telling them everything’s going to be ok over contemplating the alternatives
                                                                                                              If media sentiment is anything to go by then the complete opposite is true.

People are far more likely to ruminate on worst case doomsday scenarios than the possible positive outcomes.

Comment

This works perfect: https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/broadband...broadband.html

My old family home in Kildare bogland had it up too, well worth it.
                                                                                                                Their 300gb limit is a bit tight no? I'd get through that just on my breakfast wank.

Comment

If media sentiment is anything to go by then the complete opposite is true.

People are far more likely to ruminate on worst case doomsday scenarios than the possible positive outcomes.
                                                                                                                  I think they are more inclined to focus on the dramatic doomsday scenarios than the more mundane grinding worst case ones

Comment

Btw well aware I’m predisposed to thinking the worst in terms of these kind of big events, meanwhile wouldn’t worry at all about various risks and danger on a day to day basis which I have far more control over

Comment

Long term for the good of us all It would not be a bad thing if certain consumer behaviours do not return to normal on the other side of this. Dunno if the system as it is setup can cope with that

Comment

Btw well aware I’m predisposed to thinking the worst in terms of these kind of big events, meanwhile wouldn’t worry at all about various risks and danger on a day to day basis which I have far more control over
                                                                                                                        I'm just hoping Steven Pinker survives this so I can quote to you his post-coronavirus offering of optimism on how mankind has come out the better of this

Comment

Headed to Orwell park this morning. Just the one hawt jogger to add to my toss-bank.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X