Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
    I dont understand what this means?

The positivity rate? Is that good or bad or what? And the 3 close contacts part?
    Reduced numbers of close contacts indicates social distancing is working as people are simply in contact with less people, less chance of spreading. It's gone from 20->5->3.
    That's likely as low as it will go based on average household size.

Positivity rate is the number of confirmed cases/concluded tests.
    Previously we had a positivity rate of 6%, since priority testing has been introduced its risen to 15%.

SK currently have a positivity rate of 2.5%, the lower that has gone, the better their situation has become. They've effectively been flat, floating 100 cases per day(proportionally 10 here). That occurred at around 3%.

We want it down there but as they rightly suspected our testing was being diluted by people less likely to have the disease.

Similar to confirmed cases and deaths, positivity rate will climb and then decline as we penetrate deeper into the population. Long term the goal is lower but the higher % now is just an indication that the priority testing was the correct decision.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    Well thought out, I hope I'm wrong but that sounds a bit optimistic.
    There may be very few choices by the end of the summer. What happens if the UK and US are c. 50% susceptible while our success has us over 80%

Vaccine is the best option but antivirals are well understood technologies known to work very well and be very adaptable I don't understand why we aren't hearing more about developments there.
    Starting clinical trials for critically ill: https://www.rte.ie/amp/1127678/
    Last edited by Guest; 31-03-20, 20:30.

Comment

Surely they won't get to those levels by then. If you take a quite optistmic 10x due to asymptomatic cases Italy would only be hitting 2% infected now. Could well be overly optimistic but analysis of the whole thing has been biased by hope all the way.

Comment

Hope something other than Chloroquine is the silver bullet
        We will get a huge spike in deaths of people with TDS if it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          what? By extension is it ok to rock into my local supermarket, grab a pint of milk and a packet of biscuits and walk out without paying for them?

Like fck me it's not easy for anyone but we also can't descend into expecting everything for free. The burden needs to be shared.
          Banks sharing the burden ? Jayz it's their time after what we've endured . Fk you now I want biscuits . Picked a bad week to get injured

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Have joined the poker playing hoards and signed up to pokerstars. Unfortunately France restricts me to pokerstars.fr which seems to run about one tourney an hour. Can I play the IPB homegames through the French client?
            Oh I must do that as have a VPN. This idea of one tourney an hour is madness. Liking the fusion cash game, although have no idea really what it is.
            When did stars.fr turn that bad?

It was an amazing site, with tons of value before we all get kicked off it over here. We still have stars.es which is pretty tasty too.

Get on Winamax and you will never look back. The best poker value you will find anywhere in the world. Ever. Big series coming up too, with huge guarantees.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              1) a vaccine 2) an effective treatment option 3) a instant-result home test 4) a susceptible population maybe of the order of 60%. All of those things are probably a year away, and the only way we get to number 4 is there's a massive hidden asymptomatic population.
              I'd be hopeful of 2, just enough cases and some random drug that people are on for some other reason.

A bit worried that the Chinese will develop a vaccine in super-quick time ( like 6 months), and we won't be able to use it because it has been tested on prisoners, of whatever ilk.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

You don't even have to like basketball to know this will be an unbelievable series;
                "The Last Dance," a 10-part docuseries that chronicles Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls' dynasty, will debut on April 19 on ESPN.Watch the extended trail...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                    Some poor soul rang in to customer service. Was waiting 30+ mins to get through..had a shouting with a member of staff. I pay your wages etc. Staff member said they'd refund the the quarterly fees as a "gesture of good will" and to get them off the phone obv.

Poor soul goes on twitter and takes a screenshot showing quarterly fees and refund same day. Puts some hashtag beside it and it gets traction. Within the hour 700+ people then on hold waiting 1hr + calling in for the same thing.

Reduced working hours due to c19 mean lines only open 9-5. They cant have 700 people clogging up the lines when people are looking for breaks on loans/mortgages etc.
                    Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    This is good. Companies can't get away with this crap.

I insist on hammering any corporate entity for its behaviour.
                    Surely won’t do a blanket refund though. That would be a savage amount

Comment

Is the 11% increase coloured by a huge increase in positive test %? As in this 11% is a big win since we're testing way more positive people compared to last week..?

Comment

I'm fairly boozed up on peroni again so that might be a brain dead question

Comment

what? By extension is it ok to rock into my local supermarket, grab a pint of milk and a packet of biscuits and walk out without paying for them?

Like fck me it's not easy for anyone but we also can't descend into expecting everything for free. The burden needs to be shared.
                          How is theft an extension to holding a corporation accountable to fair treatment of all its customers?

And I agree, but lol at talking about burden sharing when the subject is an Irish bank.

If they are going to refund one person as a gesture of goodwill given the pandemic, then they should refund everyone as a gesture of goodwill.
                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Class application of free postcard from An Post

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                              Surely they won't get to those levels by then. If you take a quite optistmic 10x due to asymptomatic cases Italy would only be hitting 2% infected now. Could well be overly optimistic but analysis of the whole thing has been biased by hope all the way.
                              Imperial College published a report yesterday on the effects that interventions such as lockdowns have had over 11 European countries. In the report they have estimated the spread of infections as of the 28th March. They say:

In all countries, we estimate there are orders of magnitude fewer infections detected (Figure 2) than true infections, mostly likely due to mild and asymptomatic infections as well as limited testing capacity. In Italy, our results suggest that, cumulatively, 5.9 [1.9-15.2] million people have been infected as of March 28th, giving an attack rate of 9.8% [3.2%-25%] of the population (Table 1). Spain has recently seen a large increase in the number of deaths, and given its smaller population, our model estimates that a higher proportion of the population, 15.0% (7.0 [1.8-19] million people) have been infected to date. Germany is estimated to have one of the lowest attack rates at 0.7% with 600,000 [240,000-1,500,000] people infected.
                              Here are their infection estimates for the various countries:

The full report is available here:

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Apache; 31-03-20, 20:57.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                  I'm hallf way through a bottle of Black Bush. Only €25 in Tesco. Yay capitalism

More or less had to go to the GPs, the pharmacy twice, a bank, and a post office. No way I wasn't going to buy some booze.

Comment

Did I ever tell yiz about the year I spent working part-time in the chaplaincy in DIT Kevin St?

Comment

Comment

Enjoyed that! Post more GAB.

Come on though... you did compare me saying that someone calling out a bank for treating one customer different to another is the same as you lifting a bottle of bainne from super value.

I was simply advocating for the equitable treatment of all customers. People expect a fair shake.
                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is good. Companies can't get away with this crap.

I insist on hammering any corporate entity for its behaviour.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                          Banks sharing the burden ? Jayz it's their time after what we've endured . Fk you now I want biscuits . Picked a bad week to get injured
                                          It had been raised as a possible issue as soon as covad19 hit. Idea of deferring fees was floated as well but was shot down. Team leaders/managers told to tell staff not to refund charges and if customers complained to refer to managers to take over calls or log a complaint. I told my lot not to fight and refund in genuine cases where people couldnt affotd etc.

Deferral would have saved alot of hassle instead of what they are going to have to do now.

Latest update when i was going out the door was blanket refunds..
                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

You know does amaze me though, Gemma O Doherty.

She's clearly not a dumb person. Dumb as in, she can speak articulately, write well, compose an argument ish.

and then the substance of it is just nuts.

Whats that called? Do we have a name for it?

Comment

Looks like GAB can be added to the 'Im mad as hell...' quarantine list. We should keep a record.

Comment

Comment

Two Jim Corr tweets of the day.
                                                  Someone on here was definitely an irate fanboy of this obnoxiously daft prick when we were all agog that he was emailing Enda Kenny about the broadband in the RDS. I had it in my head it was you for a while but I don't think so on reflection.

He will definitely be up against the wall when I'm in charge. What a gowl.

Comment

Hitch's favourite murderous dictator might be feeling a bit sweaty....
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Are kpmg considered essential business? If ever there was “work” that could be done from home it theirs. Fire up the ps4 boys...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                                                        Latest modelling predictions have been published by the authorities. Green being the best case scenario and red the worst.

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                        Key figures today:

325 confirmed cases

17 deaths

3 close contacts on average

Positivity rate goes from 6% to 15% since the change.

Phenomenal uptick as a result of the change, clearly a fantastic decision. It may be the best decision taken to date.
                                                        We had our first case about a month ago now. Since then we have completed a little over 30,000 tests. So we were completing around 1,000 tests a day. I think with extra capacity we can do more than that now, although their are supply problems with reagents. Let's say we can confirm 1500 test a day now.

This goes along nicely with a wait time 7-10 days for test results as their is a mismatch between lab test time (slow) and sample collection time (quick). We are doing plenty of sample collection.

BTW many of the completed tests are on the same person which reduces coverage. Patients are retested a few time before they are given the all clear.

Hope these figures are correct. But I'm sure I will be corrected if they are not.

Anyway looking at the graph, irrespective of the scenario, is their any way we can perform enough tests in 12 days to get these numbers of confirmed cases?

To get say 10,000 more confirmed cases we would need to complete around 65,000 tests given that the positivity rate is around 15% right now.

Given the capacity and large wait time, is their any point in testing the public at large right now? Should we just reserve test capacity to get keep health care workers working, to confirm hospitalized cases or to confirm all clears?
                                                        Last edited by Wombatman; 31-03-20, 21:34. Reason: Big dumb
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It had been raised as a possible issue as soon as covad19 hit. Idea of deferring fees was floated as well but was shot down. Team leaders/managers told to tell staff not to refund charges and if customers complained to refer to managers to take over calls or log a complaint. I told my lot not to fight and refund in genuine cases where people couldnt affotd etc.

Deferral would have saved alot of hassle instead of what they are going to have to do now.

Ah makes more sense now, inside info. Fair play to them I guess, good gesture

I’m on the GAB side here though, between this and everyone on long term dole fighting and shouting over not getting a raise it’s becoming fairly old fairly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                            Ah makes more sense now, inside info. Fair play to them I guess, good gesture

I’m on the GAB side here though, between this and everyone on long term dole fighting and shouting over not getting a raise it’s becoming fairly old fairly fast.
                                                            Is this a thing? They can fuck off if it is

Comment

You know does amaze me though, Gemma O Doherty.

She's clearly not a dumb person. Dumb as in, she can speak articulately, write well, compose an argument ish.

and then the substance of it is just nuts.

Whats that called? Do we have a name for it?
                                                              Someone on twitter or somewhere did like a timeline of her descent into whatever you call what she is now, where after her husband died she gradually started following right wing nutcases and then all of a sudden went off the deep end.

It's either a sad mental health case or a shameful $EV play. I suspect the former despite having no real reason to think I have an insight. You're in grief and struggling and next thing people are listening to you kind of thing

Comment

That one jogger that passed me in Marlay today could be HIV, coronavirus, and whatever positive, and I'd still let her piss on me and beat me #toomuchsharing

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                  Are kpmg considered essential business? If ever there was “work” that could be done from home it theirs. Fire up the ps4 boys...
                                                                  I really enjoy your take on the big4. I mean that.

Comment

Is this a thing? They can fuck off if it is
                                                                    Unreal. Plenty of it going on

Comment

Comment

This is the 1st night of the lockdown I didn’t get beers in.
                                                                        Huge mistake

Comment

Someone on twitter or somewhere did like a timeline of her descent into whatever you call what she is now, where after her husband died she gradually started following right wing nutcases and then all of a sudden went off the deep end.

It's either a sad mental health case or a shameful $EV play. I suspect the former despite having no real reason to think I have an insight. You're in grief and struggling and next thing people are listening to you kind of thing
                                                                          There has to be a name for it, because its definitely not stupidity.

I will admit to being fascinated by it. Everytime I hear or read her mentioned I go back for an oul gander.

Comment

If you work there in some sort of supervisory/management role, would you not think better of posting things like that on a public forum?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                              That one jogger that passed me in Marlay today could be HIV, coronavirus, and whatever positive, and I'd still let her piss on me and beat me #toomuchsharing
                                                                              Ha Fucking superb post. Literally spat my karma kerfruit figlemon drink everywhere in lols. Well played Sir. Sex defo never going to be the same again after Corona.

Comment

Yeah. Must be someone else. <whistlesnonchantly.jpeg>

I was a fan of his point at the time that if Dublin was serious about tech it should be able to, and want to, host a summit like that and provide workable wifi. We should be celebrating and helping European tech champions as we're just so far behind China and US. WebSummit is one (very small) type of champion. But yeah now he's just a prick. Nothing is static.

tl;dr I guess what I'm saying is I was right then and am also right now, despite holding two completely opposite opinions divided by time. It embarrasses me to have to heap that praise on myself, but it would do a disservice to interpret it in any other way.
                                                                                Ooof I was getting ready to blame emmet for that one

It was the emailing the Taoiseach and refusing to organise his event himself thing that I think everyone was a bit scandalised by at the time. Dublin didn't exactly go on to have an issue with tech despite telling this man child to grow up after.

Comment

There has to be a name for it, because its definitely not stupidity.

I will admit to being fascinated by it. Everytime I hear or read her mentioned I go back for an oul gander.
                                                                                  Chris Rock used to do a bit called 'whatever happened to crazy'

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                      If you work there in some sort of supervisory/management role, would you not think better of posting things like that on a public forum?
                                                                                      Ah sure we'll all be trading hand jobs for potatoes in six months time.

Comment

Could well have been emmet too! Feel its the kinda thing exiles bemoaning the state of home would particularly hone in on.
                                                                                        I think Emmet knows PC from Uni. One of our mutual friends actually works for PC now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          We had our first case about a month ago now. Since then we have completed a little over 30,000 tests. So we were completing around 1,000 tests a day. I think with extra capacity we can do more than that now, although their are supply problems with reagents. Let's say we can confirm 1500 test a day now.
                                                                                          No we're not completing 1k tests a day, we weren't remotely completing that amount 3 weeks ago. We have slowly scaled up testing and concluded cases.

Undoubtedly a backlog but say 1k tests a day over 30 days is not the trend. We're looking at 15k tests a day within 4 weeks.

We have completely 33k tests since the change I believe and 51k total? As I said earlier 25% more than SK in half the time.

This goes along nicely with a wait time 7-10 days for test results as their is a mismatch between lab test time (slow) and sample collection time (quick). We are doing plenty of sample collection.
                                                                                          Mentioned earlier I know someone with <24hr turnaround time

BTW many of the completed tests are on the same person which reduces coverage. Patients are retested a few time before they are given the all clear.
                                                                                          Where did you read that? We only have around 5 officially recovered cases, they're hardly being tested that much that many are the same person? I assume it's a 14 day wait from diagnosis for a retest anyway.

Comment

Anyone else suddenly rediscovering the joy of getting the recommended hours of sleep night after night?
                                                                                            Bed at 12ish, up at 8.20 is such a huge difference from say a normal Thursday of hanging on for the last few shots in the US Golf at 12.30am, then having an alarm go off at 7am.
                                                                                            Would hope to make some effort at keeping this going when 'the event' is over, but will doubtless fall back into old habits.

Comment

Trump bit more defeatist tonight?

Someone obviously got the numbers through to him with a good helping of crayola

Waiting for the questions and reaction now

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the 1st night of the lockdown I didn’t get beers in.
                                                                                                Huge mistake
                                                                                                I was reduced (ha!) to brandy and baileys on Sunday night, a drink normally reserved for Christmas morning when you wouldn't be well. I noted yesterday the ice had been removed from the freezer ostensibly to make space for chickpea stew.

Comment

Ordered another crate of white hag

Ye have 1hr 7mins on code LOYALTY for 20% off
                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                    Who cares? I'm small time. Very few would know who I am on this. Its a popular site and all that, but I would doubt anyone would take anything Pat Mustatd said on a website about poker seriously like.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Pat Mustard; 31-03-20, 22:01.
                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

No we're not completing 1k tests a day, we weren't remotely completing that amount 3 weeks ago. We have slowly scaled up testing and concluded cases.

Undoubtedly a backlog but say 1k tests a day over 30 days is not the trend. We're looking at 15k tests a day within 4 weeks.

We have completely 33k tests since the change I believe and 51k total? As I said earlier 25% more than SK in half the time.

Where did you read that? We only have around 5 officially recovered cases, they're hardly being tested that much that many are the same person? I assume it's a 14 day wait from diagnosis for a retest anyway.
                                                                                                      Cillian de Gascun said at the briefing this evening that as of midnight last night 30215 had been completed. I think the shortage of testing equipment has really hindered their ability to scale up.

Comment

We have a couple of hundred part time students in work who might typically earn €200/week or less. Dismayed to put it mildly at the amount of them who expect to receive the €350 government pandemic payment instead of 100% of normal wages. Trying to explain that we feel nobody should profit in a national emergency is met with genuine bafflement. I mean they can't even see where we are coming from on it.

Comment

Mike Pence really has come up to the plate (may be the wrong phrase, something american sporty).

Comment

Yeah, it's stepped up to the plate.

Comment

No one in my, nor my folks' house has seen another human in 18 days other than my dad whose daily routine is walking our dog. My mother wants to see my kids tomorrow coz she's bored stupid. Using the Lazare societal barometer, would I be a murderous thug like him, or a caring son if I were to agree?

Comment

Dr Cillian De Gascun, chair of the HSE’s Coronavirus Expert Advisory Group, confirmed that 30,213 tests had been carried out but that constraints relating to testing has meant delayed results for some people.
                                                                                                                “Unfortunately there will be an awful lot of people in the community who will have been waiting maybe seven to 10 days for a result,” said Dr De Gascun.

OK. Looks as though they were up to 2000 per day as of the 24th March. Still not enough capacity to do 65,000 tests in 12 days.

The NVRL is processing 1,300 tests a day, while hospital laboratories are doing 750.

Resting same person.
                                                                                                                See conclusions bullet point two. 2 to 4 negative required. Some may be positive and cycle starts again. This type of testing is ongoing with existing patients.

laboratory evidence of SARS-CoV-2 clearance in respiratory samples; 2 to 4 negative RT-PCR tests forrespiratory tract samples (nasopharynx and throat swabs with sampling interval ≥ 24 hours). Testing at a minimum of 7 days after the first positive RT-PCR test is recommended for patients that clinically improve earlier
                                                                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                                                  Trump bit more defeatist tonight?

Someone obviously got the numbers through to him with a good helping of crayola

Waiting for the questions and reaction now

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
                                                                                                                  Wtf are they doing sharing a microphone on a small podium while trying to convince a country to socially distance.

Radio mics ffs
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Who cares? I'm small time. Very few would know who I am on this. Its a popular site and all that, but I would doubt anyone would take anything Pat Mustatd said on a website about poker seriously like.
                                                                                                                    Especially after some of your werewolf performances

Comment

Especially after some of your werewolf performances
                                                                                                                      Remember that time his own wolf team munched him.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Anyone else suddenly rediscovering the joy of getting the recommended hours of sleep night after night?
                                                                                                                        Bed at 12ish, up at 8.20 is such a huge difference from say a normal Thursday of hanging on for the last few shots in the US Golf at 12.30am, then having an alarm go off at 7am.
                                                                                                                        Would hope to make some effort at keeping this going when 'the event' is over, but will doubtless fall back into old habits.
                                                                                                                        I'm the opposite. I used to hallucinate when I had less than 3 hours of sleep a day for more than 4 days. Mostly just get a slightly lower blood pressure now, and feel a bit tired. May be just eating better than previous periods.

Comment

I've been an utter utter boozehound the last 3 weeks at home, the missus being part owner in a bar isn't or is helping, but here is my list of the 5 best stouts/porters I've had.

I'm not gonna speak about mouthfeel or any of the flavour crap because I neither have the experience nor vocabulary to explain so I shall list them and simply say, if you have a chance to snap up a bottle, or some cans, do.

1. Milk Stout - Black Bridge Brewery Saskatchewan

This is my favourite beer ever. It is fantastic.

2. Sasquatch Stout - Old Yale Brewing - Chiliwack BC
                                                                                                                          Sasquatch Stout by Old Yale Brewing Co. is a Stout - Oatmeal which has a rating of 3.7 out of 5, with 6,565 ratings and reviews on Untappd.

3. Dark Matter Porter - Hoyne Brewing BC Canada

4. Old Man Winter Porter - Ribstone Creek - Alberta Canada

5. Tool Shed - Flat Cap Stout - These guys are from about 2 blocks over from me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X