Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
    Getting bored waiting for more quizzes, here's one I threw together from the bookshelf facing me:

1. Who was Henry VIII's first wife?
    2. The Joad family are the protagonists of which novel?
    3. Name the main character in Catch-22.
    4. Name 2 of the 3 US presidents who declined to run for a second full term in the 20th century.
    5. What is the state capital of Minnesota?
    6. Eamon Dunphy played for Manchester United and Millwall. Name one other English club he played for.
    7. Name any horse who finished second to Best Mate in a Gold Cup.
    8. Which country, primarily located on a continental landmass, has a capital Malabo located on an island more than 100km offshore?
    9. The Battle of the Little Bighorn took place in what modern day US state?
    10. Name the Shakespeare play which tells the story of two sets of twins separated at birth.
    SPOILER

1. Anne of Cleeves?
    2. No idea
    3. Yossarian
    4. Carter? Linden Johnson?
    5. Fargo? I should know this one, think that's wrong though.
    6. Don't know. Scunthorpe? Emphasis on letters 2-5
    7. lol
    8. Sao Tome and Principe?
    9. Arizona? I may have heard this recently, or perhaps not!
    10. No idea. Titus Andronicus?

1 definite, not much hope after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
      21/23. Missed
      SPOILER
      Clinton Morrison and Gary Kelly, likely two of easier ones.

Will be a while before we have another squad as strong as that one without
      SPOILER
      No Roy Keane obviously or Stephen Carr (injury)
      How the fuck did you get
      SPOILER
      O'Brien??
      Missed two other more obvious: Carsley and McAteer

Comment

How the fuck did you get
        SPOILER
        O'Brien??
        Missed
        SPOILER
        Carsley, Reid and Morrison myself

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
          You couldn’t have just missed
          SPOILER
          Gary Kelly as Alan Kelly comes free?
          I know and with the team hint as well , I knew
          SPOILER
          Carr missed out but brain blanked on the other full back but somehow pulled up Dean Kiely. Was typing full names stupidly

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
          Felt bad I could only get 15, then I remembered, I was only left primary school
          Was two years older but remember that WC team, would struggle with our last Euro's squad or whenever an Irish squad is announced I'm left googling players.
          Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 26-03-20, 16:36.

Comment

How the fuck did you get
            SPOILER
            O'Brien??
            SPOILER
            Brother is a Newcastle fan so was more aware of their players as a kid so just ran through the Irish/Newcastle players. Was incorrect when I typed in Andy instead of Andrew though.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
              Figured I may as well help out...

Trivia...
              SPOILER
              1. Which country has won the 5th most Summer Olympics medals from Europe?
                Italy?
              2. In 1796, Edward Jenner developed the first successful vaccine against what disease?
                Smallpox
              3. Obtained from the crocus flower, what is the most expensive spice in the world?
                Saffron
              4. The name of a famous Disney character, what is the Swahili word for 'lion'?
                Simba
              5. 'Franny and Zooey' and 'The Catcher in the Rye' were written by which author?
                JD Salinger
              6. A lion holding a sword appears on the flag of what country?
                I think I should know this one. Bhutan? That's not right though.
              7. Guru Nanak was the founder of what religion?
                Sikhism? Sounds familiar though, so I'm probably wrong.
              8. Guitarist Saul Hudson, was known by what nickname?
                Don't know
              9. During Prohibition, what name was given to establishments that illegally sold alcohol?
                Speakeasy
              10. Which character lives in an underwater pineapple?
                Spongebob?
              11. What is the name of the championship trophy awarded to the NHL playoff winner?
                Stanley Cup
              12. What U.S. TV series starred Tom Welling as a young Clark Kent?
                Smallville

Answers above.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                SPOILER

1. Anne of Cleeves?
                2. No idea
                3. Yossarian
                4. Carter? Linden Johnson?
                5. Fargo? I should know this one, think that's wrong though.
                6. Don't know. Scunthorpe? Emphasis on letters 2-5
                7. lol
                8. Sao Tome and Principe?
                9. Arizona? I may have heard this recently, or perhaps not!
                10. No idea. Titus Andronicus?

1 definite, not much hope after that.
                1.5 (half a mark for Q4)

Comment

1.5 (half a mark for Q4)
                  Damn

Comment

Looking at my bookcase for inspiration
                    1. In which sport did Nelson Mandela excel as a young man?
                    2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place?
                    3. What was the title given to the rulers of Venice between the 7th and 18th centuries?
                    4. Who was the leader of Romania during World War 2?
                    5. Which US city was Martin Luther King assassinated in?
                    6. The Malbec grape varietal is extremely popular in Argentina. What region does it come from in France?
                    7. What is the Hawaiian term for 'girl'?
                    8. Why was Brendan Behan sent to Borstal?
                    9. What was Lenin's real name?
                    10. What was the name of the baseball franchise originally based in Brooklyn, NY?
                    11. What physical infirmity did the famous Argentinian writer, Jose Borges, suffer from?
                    12. Who was Hemingway's third wife? (famous in her own right, extra bonus point if you can say for what)
                    13. What town in Missouri did Harry Truman come from?
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      1. In which sport did Nelson Mandela excel as a young man?
                      2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place?
                      3. What was the title given to the rulers of Venice between the 7th and 18th centuries?
                      6. The Malbec grape varietal is extremely popular in Argentina. What region does it come from in France?
                      10. What was the name of the baseball franchise originally based in Brooklyn, NY?
                      11. What physical infirmity did the famous Argentinian writer, Jose Borges, suffer from?
                      12. Who was Hemingway's third wife? (famous in her own right, extra bonus point if you can say for what)
                      SPOILER

1. Cricket?
                      2. Operation Bodyguard
                      3. Doges
                      4. Ceaucesu
                      5. Memphis
                      6. Dunno Beaujolais
                      7. Dunno
                      8. Ira activities
                      9. Oh jaysus Ulanov?
                      10. Dodgers
                      11. Blind?
                      12. Dunno
                      13. Independence

Eh please ignore my answer for #4
                      Last edited by mcnugget; 26-03-20, 16:55.

Comment

Anyone recommend a reliable fencing company that wont cost a fortune. I'm based in Ashbourne.

So far have had Irelands answer to Del Boy and Rodney come to give me a quote and 2 lads that said theyd get back to me and didn't and a place that wanted 5k for a simple fence. Surely cant cost that much.

Any advice appreciated

Comment

This should more up my street

SPOILER
                          1. Who was Henry VIII's first wife?
                          Catherine of Argon
                          (unless you're Henry who would claim Jane Seymour was the first Legit wife )
                          2. The Joad family are the protagonists of which novel?
                          The Grapes of Wrath
                          3. Name the main character in Catch-22.
                          Yossarian
                          4. Name 2 of the 3 US presidents who declined to run for a second full term in the 20th century.
                          Carter Hoover... (maybe coolidge was the 3rd?)
                          5. What is the state capital of Minnesota?
                          St Paul?
                          6. Eamon Dunphy played for Manchester United and Millwall. Name one other English club he played for.
                          Wolves?
                          7. Name any horse who finished second to Best Mate in a Gold Cup.
                          Commanche Court, Truckers Tavern and Sir Rembrant with Harbour pilot third twice
                          8. Which country, primarily located on a continental landmass, has a capital Malabo located on an island more than 100km offshore?
                          Equatorial Guinea
                          9. The Battle of the Little Bighorn took place in what modern day US state?
                          Montana
                          10. Name the Shakespeare play which tells the story of two sets of twins separated at birth.
                          Comedy of Errors
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

SPOILER
                            1. In which sport did Nelson Mandela excel as a young man?Ugh I know thios but can't remember...
                              was it Cricket?
                            2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to
                              deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place?
                              Is that Mincemeat the dead tramp washed up with plans in his pocket one?
                              Doge
                              Antonescu
                              Memphis
                              Bordeaux?
                              IRA membership ?
                              Vladimir Iliych Ulanyov
                              ?
                              blindness
                              Martha Gelhorn journalist with a prize named for her
                              St Louis?
                            [/QUOTE]

Comment

If you are bored and have a few minutes you could try this questionnaire my son needs responses to for his masters.

It shows a number of topographic images and you have to guess whats real and what is AI generated.

Thank you for helping us with our master thesis! In this questionnaire, you will be shown a series of images of 3D models of a landscape rendered in Unity, a 3D game engine. Some of these models were created from satellite data of real world locations. Others were procedurally generated - that is, the height data was created by a series of algorithms rather than obtained from real-world samples. You will be presented with a total of 18 images of various 3D models of these landscapes, seen from different perspectives. We would like you try and identify which of the images are based on real world data, and which were generated with our algorithms. Furthermore, we would like you to try to elaborate on why you made this choice. Note that all of the terrains are untextured, and may have some blurriness or lighting artifacts, regardless of which method was used to create them.

I'll try to get the right answers later

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Yeah should be #1 today, and the market is up nearly 20% since the bottom. QE > virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    If you are bored and have a few minutes you could try this questionnaire my son needs responses to for his masters.

It shows a number of topographic images and you have to guess whats real and what is AI generated.

Thank you for helping us with our master thesis! In this questionnaire, you will be shown a series of images of 3D models of a landscape rendered in Unity, a 3D game engine. Some of these models were created from satellite data of real world locations. Others were procedurally generated - that is, the height data was created by a series of algorithms rather than obtained from real-world samples. You will be presented with a total of 18 images of various 3D models of these landscapes, seen from different perspectives. We would like you try and identify which of the images are based on real world data, and which were generated with our algorithms. Furthermore, we would like you to try to elaborate on why you made this choice. Note that all of the terrains are untextured, and may have some blurriness or lighting artifacts, regardless of which method was used to create them.

Done
                                    Best of luck

Comment

done, no idea what I've done, but done
                                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Done. Probably close to useless though!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          US on course to win the most-virus-ridden nation crown today. Although I'd imagine they could maybe handle another 80,000 cases before things start to really creak. Unfortunately that's maybe 5 days away due to shocking management. Seems to be that once you get up to around 500/per million population that things fall apart - which they would be then. France is just on 400/million and is already kitting out special trains to ferry the ill to less affected parts of the country. US is currently about 8 or 9 days away from Italy on a per population level and Italy was far from pleasant then.
                                          Yup, they will easily be number 1. been spouting off for weeks that they are going straight to the top. Must be millions infected there by now.

Comment

Contagion on ITV 2 at 9 feels feels a bit real. Was wondering whod be the first to show it.
                                            Its actually quite a decent film and not a million miles away from Corona.

Comment

Done. Had to Google topography and I've still no idea what it is but sure hopefully it helps

Comment

SPOILER

1. Cricket?
                                                2. Operation Bodyguard
                                                3. Doges
                                                4. Ceaucesu
                                                5. Memphis
                                                6. Dunno Beaujolais
                                                7. Dunno
                                                8. Ira activities
                                                9. Oh jaysus Ulanov?
                                                10. Dodgers
                                                11. Blind?
                                                12. Dunno
                                                13. Independence

Eh please ignore my answer for #4
                                                8/13. Yeah 4 was there a long time but not quite that long.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                  1. In which sport did Nelson Mandela excel as a young man?Ugh I know thios but can't remember...
                                                    was it Cricket?
                                                  2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to
                                                    deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place?
                                                    Is that Mincemeat the dead tramp washed up with plans in his pocket one?
                                                    Doge
                                                    Antonescu
                                                    Memphis
                                                    Bordeaux?
                                                    IRA membership ?
                                                    Vladimir Iliych Ulanyov
                                                    ?
                                                    blindness
                                                    Martha Gelhorn journalist with a prize named for her
                                                    St Louis?
                                                  SPOILER

[/QUOTE]

7/13

you have the detail of 2 but not the name

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                    Yup, they will easily be number 1. been spouting off for weeks that they are going straight to the top. Must be millions infected there by now.
                                                    What's worse about the US is that they've shown an unmatched ability to scale their testing in the past number of days.

Clearly they had the resources to prepare as well, if not better than any other nation but they chose not to.

They're the highest ranked country in the world in terms of pandemic preparedness according to the Global Health Security Index.

Effectively it's a failure to act opposed to lack of resources which makes this all the worse.

Good article from the Atlantic today on how this plays out: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...us-end/608719/

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Answers within

SPOILER
                                                        1. In which sport did Nelson Mandela excel as a young man? Boxing
                                                        2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place? Bodyguard, also Fortitude
                                                        3. What was the title given to the rulers of Venice between the 7th and 18th centuries? Doges
                                                        4. Who was the leader of Romania during World War 2? Antonescu
                                                        5. Which US city was Martin Luther King assassinated in? Memphis
                                                        6. The Malbec grape varietal is extremely popular in Argentina. What region does it come from in France? Cahors
                                                        7. What is the Hawaiian term for 'girl'? wahine
                                                        8. Why was Brendan Behan sent to Borstal? IRA activity in the UK
                                                        9. What was Lenin's real name? VI Ulyanov
                                                        10. What was the name of the baseball franchise originally based in Brooklyn, NY? the Dodgers
                                                        11. What physical infirmity did the famous Argentinian writer, Jose Borges, suffer from? He was blind
                                                        12. Who was Hemingway's third wife? Martha Gelhorn (famous in her own right, extra bonus point if you can say for what famous photographer, especially WW2)
                                                        13. What town in Missouri did Harry Truman come from? he was, famously, The Man from Independence

Comment

Day 14. 8 year old told 6 year old to pee into one of her dolls house toilets. He complied.

Comment

Answers within

SPOILER
                                                            2. What was the code name of the deception operation that was run to deceive the Nazis as to where the true D-Day landings would take place? Bodyguard, also Fortitude
                                                            3. What was the title given to the rulers of Venice between the 7th and 18th centuries? Doges
                                                            6. The Malbec grape varietal is extremely popular in Argentina. What region does it come from in France? Cahors
                                                            10. What was the name of the baseball franchise originally based in Brooklyn, NY? the Dodgers
                                                            11. What physical infirmity did the famous Argentinian writer, Jose Borges, suffer from? He was blind
                                                            12. Who was Hemingway's third wife? Martha Gelhorn (famous in her own right, extra bonus point if you can say for what famous photographer, especially WW2)
                                                            13. What town in Missouri did Harry Truman come from? he was, famously, The Man from Independence
                                                            9 is mentioned in a popular film in the last 20 years. (Both Lenin and his real name) Name the actor and film.
                                                            Last edited by elbows; 26-03-20, 19:45.
                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                              Answers above.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-03-20, 19:51.

Comment

People without kids who subscribe to Disney+ should be on some kind of list/register

Comment

Local girl here posted on FB both her parents have it, her mum was admitted to hospital a couple of days ago and has double pneumonia and her dad just went into hospital today and isn't good either.

Parents look maybe 60-65.

Comment

Answers within

SPOILER
                                                                      I think you are wrong about 12's career

Comment

I think you are wrong about 12's career
                                                                        ah yes, I am

Comment

Done.

All the chess board images are AI right?
                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That's alot of deaths in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                              Done.

All the chess board images are AI right?
                                                                              They all looked equally ridiculous to me.

Comment

The recovered figures are the really scary numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  They don't seem to have been updating those?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                      They don't seem to have been updating those?
                                                                                      Seems to be the worst kept number in all countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                        No more scary than anywhere else, if anything more encouraging.

Denmark 1 recovered, 41 deaths, 1877 cases

Norway 6 recovered, 14 deaths, 3346 cases

Both countries with confirmed cases a couple of days before us.

Comment

...

Comment

Better things to be doing than testing people who aren't sick anymore no?

Comment

Decent chart from David for its all-round information.

I wonder how our testing compares to Italy's adjusted for time.

Comment

This shit of scaling to population is ridiculous. The population makes very little difference to the spread. All you're doing is dividing by a small number and scaring people.

Comment

Decent chart from David for its all-round information.
                                                                                                  We have been testing far more proportionally than Italy at the same point in time.
                                                                                                  Exceeding the confirmed cases proportionally is not necessarily a bad thing so not quite sure why he's painting it as such.

I'd be curious of the positivity rate for both countries.

Comment

...

Comment

This is encouraging I think

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                        This shit of scaling to population is ridiculous. The population makes very little difference to the spread. All you're doing is dividing by a small number and scaring people.
                                                                                                        Precisely, it's never going to linear, it's far too simplistic, it effectively says nothing.

Scaling testing proportionally is different because it's binary, scaling confirmed cases proportionally means far less.

Comment

I love the signing lady. Very expressive

Not so fond of 2nd girl
                                                                                                          Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-03-20, 21:16.

Comment

Shopping in Dunnes tonight . Felt folk were a wee bit more complacent than last week.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                              Shopping in Dunnes tonight . Felt folk were a wee bit more complacent than last week.
                                                                                                              That'll change when they put on the news. Death Toll is the only number that will register with some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                You should stop feeling folk. Listen to the judge ffs.

Comment

Brother and his gf have it in London according to their GP, but of course won't be tested. Also his gf appears to have mumps at the SAME time, delightful! Brother will be getting that too/might have it.

Comment

Trump: "I hope we get lucky"

Reassuring from the commander in chief

Comment

My mother is in a high risk group with various underlying issues. She was on waiting list since Saturday for a test pre the "restart" (so 4 days). She called her doc again first thing Wednesday morning as same symptoms still there, went to hospital and had various tests, was back home by 5pm Wednesday. Got a call tonight about 7pm to advise negative for COVID and FLU. So circa a 36 hour turnaround from calling doc which I thought was very good at this stage (also thought it was too quick for COVID result but have to go on face value they wont give a negative reading without knowing).

Comment

Trump: "I hope we get lucky"

Reassuring from the commander in chief
                                                                                                                        Be grand when they all go to their packed churches at Easter.

Comment

Good to hear the dubs are taking care of the hipster beer while I'm doing my best to keep the international behemoth breweries alive. I'm mouldy on Carlsberg for the last two weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X