Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK playing a different game than rest of us. Are they playing on a different level?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      10 days ago we had 1 case in Ireland. There's a difference between not seeing and not looking.

"I assume" - orly?

"calls were made last week" - by Mary on the mumsnet group on Facebook?

In Ireland the authorities did have info, but they also layered a plan on top of that. They have been wholly consistent in their messaging about the stages we would go through as this developed. I think the Irish Govt and Chief Medical officer have been doing a good job on this. It seems that they've acted appropriately as information came to light. Harris didn't cancel the rugby (or ask for it to be cancelled) on a whim (word is he made the call based on info from the CDC on Italy), St Patricks day was cancelled at a wholly appropriate time in advance of the event (there needs to be a balance against hysteria also). Todays action is triggered by newer information. It's not in the gift of the Irish Govt to cancel Cheltenham or any UK sporting event, that's up to the guys across the water. There seems to be a misdirection of anger towards the Irish government about a failure of UK authorities to act in relation to Cheltenham.
      I’m not directing any anger towards the Irish government over not cancelling Cheltenham don’t know where you’re getting that from though they would have been well within their rights to advise their own citizens against it.
      There was enough info available last week early this week for responsible people to decide not to travel. Unfortunately loads of fuckwits decided they didn’t want to lose the 70 quid they paid for their Ryanair flight and there chance to dust off the leprauchaun hat and neon green suits and we are all going to pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        I have hundreds of cans of these soups (really they are more like stews) of different varieties laying around in general, due to lunch laziness. As they are very healthy, tasty and cheap.
        2.5g of salt per serving. I would feed that to my worst enemy.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

10 days ago we had 1 case in Ireland. There's a difference between not seeing and not looking. “

10 days ago Italy had 1600 cases and 10 deaths
          We had 1 case+ ongoing travel between the countries and basically fuck all preventative measures. The increase in cases here and uk was entirely predictable

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
            UK playing a different game than rest of us. Are they playing on a different level?
            Yes. A special needs level.

Comment

In Italy they are now taking 40 year olds off ventilators in favour of 30 year olds, jeez that is rough.
              Basically battlefield triage. Jaybers.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Bollocks, complete and utter self aggrandising bullshit. We get that you hate people who like things you don't like and are foaming at the mouth to get a lynch mob going.

You are guessing that you know better than the people whose job it is to plan and execute the best response to the epidemic.
                You are just as informed and ignorant as the imbiciles fighting over jacks roll in Lidl.

The fact is that the Government are taking their decisions from the DoH experts and not from spanners like you and the gobshites on the line to Joe

You assume wrong. Up until last Monday night the jockey club were in consultation with the Government and those contacts were ongoing today.

Add another layer to your tinfoil hat.
                Cop on
                The fact that Cheltenham still on tomorrow tells you all you need to know about Racing authorities priorities and uk governments competence
                Even now when there is no doubt about what’s going on they won’t back down. Justify that, go on
                Last edited by Guest; 12-03-20, 22:17.

Comment

To be fair to Britain they're offering a good case study of what will actually happen to countries that show blatant disregard to world health organisations general warnings.
                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                    To be fair to Britain they're offering a good case study of what will actually happen to countries that show blatant disregard to world health organisations general warnings.
                    Blitz spirit innit

Comment

We got mail from sky. No customer to touch the remote control. Lol. No traffic stopping. No customer allowed on phone to call centre.

I'm on zero TV sales, for about 5 days now.

Nobody coming near me anyway

March and April's wages will be an eyesore....
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

In Italy they are now taking 40 year olds off ventilators in favour of 30 year olds, jeez that is rough.
                        If France, Spain and Germany go down this road we are well and truly fucked over here.
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

It appears the young fellow "finished" college today, pretty anti climactic end to 4 years in University. Being told end of semester exams will more than likely be online.

He needs to start looking for a job now...

I am sure they can pull off the leaving cert keeping them a few meters apart, that will be a proper logistical nightmare if it cant go ahead.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                            We got mail from sky. No customer to touch the remote control. Lol. No traffic stopping. No customer allowed on phone to call centre.

I'm on zero TV sales, for about 5 days now.

Nobody coming near me anyway

March and April's wages will be an eyesore....
                            Now try working for yourself with overheads for the next few months.

Minus wages are great craic altogether.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

"calls were made last week" - by Mary on the mumsnet group on Facebook?
                                and yes calls were made on the government to cancel parades while government were still saying parades were going ahead by doctors and nurses group and virology experts (and I assume Mary from mumsnet also). To name 2 who you and strewel presumably think are panic merchants there is Dr.John Crowne and professor john oxford (expert on bird flue and Spanish flu)
                                So the a sure everyone’s an expert with hindsight and it was only internet panic loons argument you and strew are trying to spin here doesn’t cut it

Comment

Comment

Arteta has it. PL must surely be postponed soon.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                          Cop on
                                          The fact that Cheltenham still on tomorrow tells you all you need to know about Racing authorities priorities and uk governments competence
                                          Even now when there is no doubt about what’s going on they won’t back down. Justify that, go on
                                          I know no more than you or Jurgen Klopp. I thought a fortnight ago that it should have been run behind closed doors but that was just another uninformed opinion.

What is clear now is that the Europe, the UK and the US are moving on different trajectories to deal with this and it will be at least months, probably years before we know who did best.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bollocks, complete and utter self aggrandising bullshit. We get that you hate people who like things you don't like and are foaming at the mouth to get a lynch mob going.

You are guessing that you know better than the people whose job it is to plan and execute the best response to the epidemic.
                                            You are just as informed and ignorant as the imbiciles fighting over jacks roll in Lidl.

The fact is that the Government are taking their decisions from the DoH experts and not from spanners like you and the gobshites on the line to Joe

You assume wrong. Up until last Monday night the jockey club were in consultation with the Government and those contacts were ongoing today.

Add another layer to your tinfoil hat.
                                            Actually you know what Strew, I’m actually genuinely sorry for winding you up like that ,we’ve all got bigger shit to be dealing with now . I’ve gone overboard on the Cheltenham stuff here recently (I’ve even wound myself up).
                                            I do have a massive hatred of horse racing tbf .i also genuinely do think it’s a disgrace it went ahead but no need to be overly obnoxious about it

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I got 2 manatee mugs that I had printed up last Sunday. I like manatees.

Spoilered because manatees are big:

SPOILER

An interesting thing is, I talk about manatees a lot and 50% of people I mention them to have never heard of them. Imagine swimming in a lake in Florida, not knowing they exist, and coming across one!

Comment

I listened to Crownes interview as I was driving, I think it was on Sean O'Rourke. In it he said he would prefer to see the parade cancelled but also said it in itself was of little benefit without other ancillary restrictions? Perhaps you might correct me as I am not arsed listening back to it.
                                                Yeah, I heard him, he wanted the parade cancelled because of how people would behave in pubs afterwards and agreed that the parade itself was low risk.

Comment

I flew back from Vietnam at the end of last month, the difference between the two countries was really striking. I had a Vietnamese sim card and every day i was getting text messages from the Government with health advice and information, some of them pretty alarming. The swimming pool I went to went from being crowded most days to me swimming alone, and in the Hotel, we all got a letter telling us to avoid human contact as much as possible and to wash our hands frequently.

After all of that, I arrive back in Dublin, via Dubai with a plane full of people from around the world. At the airport, no-one asked anyone where they had been. There was no advice on what to do if you felt unwell, we just walked in. This was two weeks ago. If the Irish government's plan was to wait until the virus had definitely made it to Ireland, then they were doing a great job.

The point about Cheltenham isn't that is going to have such a huge impact, but it's the optics of it. It so obviously should have been cancelled that it's hard to believe the selfishness of people talking a pleasure trip right now.

Comment

Ah here ! Did i miss the memo ? ?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                      Arteta has it. PL must surely be postponed soon.
                                                      They announced 40 mins before arteta announcement that this weekends games were going ahead with crowds
                                                      Madness

Comment

Cheltenham should just have banned crowds.

Comment

They announced 40 mins before arteta announcement that this weekends games were going ahead with crowds
                                                          Madness
                                                          Revision soon I bet

Comment

genuinely sorry for winding you up like that ,
                                                            no need to be overly obnoxious about it
                                                            Likewise

Its not a trivial thing like your sport is better than my sport, the stakes are high for all of us.

As an academic just said on Newsnight about the accumulated knowledge and data
                                                            "No one has the right answer we just have to trust that our chief medical officer and scientists are making the right decisions"

Comment

Yeah, I heard him, he wanted the parade cancelled because of how people would behave in pubs afterwards and agreed that the parade itself was low risk.
                                                              I still think there will be plenty out and about in the pubs for paddy’s /this weekend, hope to be proved wrong but not confident

Comment

Confirmed cases are still relatively low (100s, 1000s) yet famous people like Mikel Arteta, Tom Hanks, Nadine Dorries have it.
                                                                Does this mean that a far bigger percentage of the population have it, or is it within the region of statistical fluke?

Comment

World snooker championship still planning to go ahead with approx 40 sessions of 1000 people in a room next month. Brits taking a very different approach.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                    Confirmed cases are still relatively low (100s, 1000s) yet famous people like Mikel Arteta, Tom Hanks, Nadine Dorries have it.
                                                                    Does this mean that a far bigger percentage of the population have it, or is it within the region of statistical fluke?
                                                                    Might that have to do with the amount of people they shake hands and do selfies with

Comment

Guy from the department of health just said on prime time that its fine to go to the pub once you avoid close contact. You could tell Miriam wanted a different answer the way she worded the question

Comment

"No one has the right answer we just have to trust that our chief medical officer and scientists are making the right decisions"
                                                                        Given the difference in countries responses, (Ireland doing nothing, China welding people into their own homes), around half of the chief medical officers are making wrong decisions.

Comment

Guy from the department of health just said on prime time that its fine to go to the pub once you avoid close contact. You could tell Miriam wanted a different answer the way she worded the question

Comment

I'd say it's neither. There are a lot of famous people. Kind of the same bias that makes the Birthday Paradox seem amazing.

Comment

When you test very few, and have very tight criteria for testing it can be skewed id guess. Look at USA deaths / confirmed cases, near 2.5%. They must be testing fuck all.

Edit: just checked, seems they have only tested 1600

That % seems to be average alright, dont know where i was going with that...
                                                                              Last edited by oleras; 12-03-20, 23:19.
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

134k confirmed cases according to this website:

Daily and weekly updated statistics tracking the number of COVID-19 cases, recovered, and deaths. Historical data with cumulative charts, graphs, and updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                  Cant wait to hear about the "social distancing" in Coppers
                                                                                  Closing until the end of the month in fairness to them

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                    World snooker championship still planning to go ahead with approx 40 sessions of 1000 people in a room next month. Brits taking a very different approach.
                                                                                    Their approach has Dominick Cummings stink all over it, it's just the type of thinking that gets him excited

The UK's Nudge Unit and Dominic Cummings are weighing up herd immunity as a possible endgame for coronavirus, but the consequences could be severe

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                      134k confirmed cases according to this website:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
                                                                                      Fair point.
                                                                                      But if you exclude China, SK and Iran, it's around 30000 cases.
                                                                                      So limiting it to 'the west' it seems somewhat surprising to me that so many are known names. But maybe it isn't surprising statistically.

Comment

Enough doom and gloom, going to cheer myself up with a movie...Sophie's choice i think !
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

China welding people into their own homes
                                                                                          Am I alone in thinking those videos were fake? It's not that I think 'they wouldn't do that'. It's that if that was what they wanted to do, they'd do it better.

Comment

In light of recent panic buying Irish supermarkets have introduced purchase limits;

Dunnes: 2 hand sanitisers, 24 toilet rolls max.

Tesco: 1 hand sanitiser, 18 toilet rolls and 10kg of potatoes.

Aldi: 2 trumpets, 1 diving suit and a MIG welder.
                                                                                            .

Comment

Their approach has Dominick Cummings stink all over it, it's just the type of thinking that gets him excited

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/herd...-robert-peston
                                                                                              Interesting interview with an epidemiologist on newsnight earlier about it. Worth a look, he was plausible but not very convincing.

Comment

The way Ohio were reporting on their high guess of 100k people having it there is:

"Whenever you know of 2 people that have it due to community spread, then you can assume that 1% of your population has it," said ODH Press Secretary Melanie Amato, citing a 2017 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report from the CDC.
                                                                                                Obviously more complex than that but I'd love to see how the analysis works on stuff like this, and what models they use vs accuracy.

Comment

...

Comment

Great comment in the guardian football section:

Premier League: 10 things to look out for this weekend.

1. Coronavirus.

Comment

The gyms around me have shut down. So has my climbing centre essentially, and probably my dance school, and the places where I play football. We also had to halt the boardgames meetup I run.
                                                                                                      Wat

Comment

Players cancelled.
                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

CNN should really give up trying to score points against Trump. Pence is doing fine, and their coverage is doing more damage than the Donald imo.

Comment

I have a training session scheduled this morning for 7am but I feel, is it almost a tad irresponsible to attend.

The class is small, usually 5-6 including the trainer, I'm not particularly worried but I feel just avoiding gatherings in general over the next week or so to allow the situation to develop is prudent.

Comment

Lazar. The requirement to go to mass has been lifted. Can I get a hallelujah? You must be feeling quite emotional.

Comment

Chelsea have said one of their players has got this virus so the whole squad is in isolation. That's Arsenal and Chelsea both in isolation now. Surely only a matter of time before the league is suspended

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                  Chelsea have said one of their players has got this virus so the whole squad is in isolation. That's Arsenal and Chelsea both in isolation now. Surely only a matter of time before the league is suspended
                                                                                                                  It's Hudson-Odoi. So doesn't really matter!

Total postponement of fixtures coming this morning.

Also it's all uspga golf for the next month gone, not just Sawgrass.
                                                                                                                  Masters next scheduled event.

Comment

New Four Tet album today
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                      New Four Tet album today
                                                                                                                      Only found out last year why they call a collection of songs an album. Comes from when music was sold on 78s, and say 8 songs would require 4 discs. They put those discs in a folder type thingy that resembled a photo album. The name just carried over when LPs took over.

Comment

My kids are now officially Irish. 2 brand new passports arrived today. Much easier than sorting out settled status.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                          Lazar. The requirement to go to mass has been lifted. Can I get a hallelujah? You must be feeling quite emotional.
                                                                                                                          parkrun is my mass. They did the honourable thing and totally shut down for the month.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X