Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Yeah, it's done.

I think Trippie made a good point. Lots of Europeans on here with a Eurocentric notion of what 'a good US President' should look like. Which is generally an unelectable candidate in US terms (Sanders, Warren).

Biden isn't much. But he's probably the best they have right now.
    I have a mate living here, she's a staunch Republican and her Dad is a Democrat.

She thinks that Europeans(husband is French) have this misplaced sense that American's are a nation of polar opposites which she believes -being from a purple state-couldn't be further from the truth.

She isn't a fan of Trump; Rubio was her choice but party politics supersedes the candidate in her view. She simply believes in a Republican agenda.

She thinks Biden is a clown but said he's the opposition she doesn't want to win. Laughed at me when I said I liked Warren for the nomination. She'd welcome a race against Sanders or Warren.

Comment

There was somebody wearing a mask at my dance studio, while they did a dance class for an hour...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        First Irish death today.
        It seems to have been in Naas hospital.
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          Nice to see Diego simeone ,from corona virus hotspot Madrid, spitting away on the sideline literally every time the camera cuts to him, lovely stuff.
          Few thousands fans spittle flying through the Anfield air now too....

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Strange that PSG game played behind closed door yet this one not alright.

Comment

Liverpool not even waiting for next season to be found out.

Comment

Don't expect to be able to avoid picking up the virus in the medium to long term (6 months) but for the practical reason of having to care for a 90 year old I have to do my best to avoid picking it up as best as I can.

Considering that, I'm supposed to be going to stay in a hotel up North for a couple of nights this weekend, restaurant and maybe spa just chillin and going for walks.
                  Yay or nay?
                  Gig in the NCH yay or nay?
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Don't expect to be able to avoid picking up the virus in the medium to long term (6 months) but for the practical reason of having to care for a 90 year old I have to do my best to avoid picking it up as best as I can.

Considering that, I'm supposed to be going to stay in a hotel up North for a couple of nights this weekend, restaurant and maybe spa just chillin and going for walks.
                      Yay or nay?
                      Hotel yes. Gig no. Not for a man of your age

Comment

Sad way to end season for Liverpool.
                        That’s their last home game this season, hope they are awarded the league

Comment

Juve player has tested positive now so that's the champions league postponed.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                            A cohort of posters on boards saying they know a similar announcement is coming here on Friday. Impossible to tell with the noise ratio and not knowing any of the posters though if it's all just trolling.

Opr
                            Schools definitely closing anyway. WHO declaring a pandemic and EU countries going into lockdown makes it more likely that we see an aggressive containment effort kick in.

We were always going to do this. I wish we had gotten a head start on it as it would have saved a couple of lives in the end but so be it.
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Yay or nay?
                              I don't know if that first sentence is true, particularly if containment actions are engaged now, but delay getting this as long as possible. They may not have vaccines in 6 months but they may have more effective treatment protocols or even a drug therapy. They'll know a hell of a lot more about it by that stage at the very least.
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Good graphs
                                Time to stop fking pussyfooting around

Comment

Depends on the gig

Comment

Comment

Why are people so bullish on Boeing here? Hoping for a war? Cos the max is toast and they are getting roasted

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post
                                        Juve player has tested positive now so that's the champions league postponed.
                                        And the Italian league. They already said they didn't think the season would finish. That should confirm it

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                          And the Italian league. They already said they didn't think the season would finish. That should confirm it
                                          Hopefully the EPL wait until 5 minutes before the match where Liverpool can mathematically win the league and cancel the competition without a champion.

Comment

Trump currently giving an adddress to the nation. Banning all travel from Europe for 30 days from Friday.

Opr

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 12-03-20, 01:23.

Comment

Comment

I couldn't make out if it only traveled during the speech. That is just incredible. I can't even comprehend the kind of impact this will have on Europe.

Opr

Comment

just human beings.
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...But not U.K, jesus he must think they literally left Europe... Does this include people returning from America to Europe?, or will flights make that trip but not have people go back to Europe?...Either way it's fucking insane...Literally blaming the whole of Europe, except U.K...

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                          just human beings.
                                                          Which he had to clarify on Twitter after the fact. Because he said goods. In a speech where he described the virus as “foreign”, talked about tackling it like it was a military foe and then boasted about how great his economy is.

A bizarre and terrible intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                            Which he had to clarify on Twitter after the fact. Because he said goods. In a speech where he described the virus as “foreign”, talked about tackling it like it was a military foe and then boasted about how great his economy is.

A bizarre and terrible intervention.
                                                            He said it. He meant it.
                                                            It was walked back after.
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Now the panic really begins. Must be disastrous for Airlines straight away. Going to make the last recession look like party time.
                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

On the other hand we aren’t banned either. It’s just shengen countries it seems.

Comment

I have spoken to anyone who will listen about what a nonsense this whole Coronia thing is. I think maybe I was wrong, this IS going to rock the world. Proper rock the world. Fuck.

Comment

Yay or nay?
                                                                    Tony, stay at home as much as is possible. All the above is non-essential. Social exclusion the best way to avoid this.

Comment

Our office is officially closed as of 10am today.
                                                                      Collect everything you need by then and don't return until further notice.

I'm a tad surprised by the response but schools likely to shut for a significant period of time very soon and many businesses will be following suit.

I thought a little rash but it looks like they're simply getting out ahead of the inevitable.

Comment

They're just so far ahead of the game: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

Comment

Hard not to think Trump has already got it, sounds like he has difficulty breathing

Watch live coverage as President Trump addresses the nation on the coronavirus pandemic from the Oval Office. » Subscribe to NBC News: http://nbcnews.to/Subs...
                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                            They're just so far ahead of the game: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898
                                                                            This looks to me like by far the most representative dataset - over 200k tests (see here) and a 0.7% mortality rate. Given the amount of testing they've done, this seems much more representative than the 3%-4% numbers you see going about.

It's also interesting in the context of ease of transmission. This suggests about a 3% community spread which is a lot less than many models notably the HSE suggest.

Comment

In no way comparing the two in any terms bar numbers but just curious as to what the likely number people estimate for COVID19 in Ireland in 2020?

"The flu is responsible for 200-500 deaths each year in Ireland. In a severe season it may cause up to 1000 deaths".

Comment

When we get through this the world is going to become a bigger place again, globalisation will reverse for sure. Bye bye corp tax receipts
                                                                                Our age of comfort is over

Comment

Just had an awful thought
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  This is going to affect The Masters isn’t it

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    Much be a big jump in shipping stuff back to China too, with the reduced capacity?

I'm surprised at the general lack of concern for Coronavirus in general. I'm not an expert on r0 or epidemiology but the signs are looking grim.

It's looking like it's almost a boost for the S&P as a safe heaven vs the rest of the world. For the moment anyway.
                                                                                    Why so? Looks like its pretty much over and its got a very low fatality rate. Regular flu outbreaks are vastly more dangerous in terms of fatalities.
                                                                                    Long incubation period + asymptomatic transmission + high deathrate.

And it's actual spread likely vastly under-reported.

Comment

Good man Donald, the holiday is still on! Would it be totally mad to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                        In no way comparing the two in any terms bar numbers but just curious as to what the likely number people estimate for COVID19 in Ireland in 2020?

"The flu is responsible for 200-500 deaths each year in Ireland. In a severe season it may cause up to 1000 deaths".
                                                                                        Based on a population of 5million odd and a 5% total infection rate with 1% mortality from that you get
                                                                                        (5m*5%)=250k
                                                                                        250k/100=2,500

That's assuming both the infection rate and mortality are 150% of what's been seen in South Korea - this is probably at least close to a lower bound.

An upper bound probably assumes a 20% total infection rate and 3-4% mortality so we get
                                                                                        5m * 20% =1m
                                                                                        1m *3.5%=35000

That's what a likely worst-case looks like I would think.

I'd expect this ends up nearer the former than the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                          Good man Donald, the holiday is still on! Would it be totally mad to go?
                                                                                          I’m expecting a number of announcements tomorrow that will make you feel uncomfortable embarking on non essential travel. Personally speaking, I’m ready to hunker down for three weeks and let the curve flatten out across Europe. Like, I have flights and hotels booked for the Slovakia game that’s now being played behind closed doors and we were going to go anyway for a break, but that seems foolish now.

Comment

Originally posted by Western_Sean View Post
                                                                                            Based on a population of 5million odd and a 5% total infection rate with 1% mortality from that you get
                                                                                            (5m*5%)=250k
                                                                                            250k/100=2,500

That's assuming both the infection rate and mortality are 150% of what's been seen in South Korea - this is probably at least close to a lower bound.

An upper bound probably assumes a 20% total infection rate and 3-4% mortality so we get
                                                                                            5m * 20% =1m
                                                                                            1m *3.5%=35000

That's what a likely worst-case looks like I would think.

I'd expect this ends up nearer the former than the latter.
                                                                                            I hope you’re right. The concern I see is that the Italian mortality rate is much higher due to an overwhelmed health service, and we’re obviously prime candidates for such a situation considering the lack of concurrent capacity within our system and the ~15 - 20% hospital management rate.

Comment

This looks to me like by far the most representative dataset - over 200k tests (see here) and a 0.7% mortality rate. Given the amount of testing they've done, this seems much more representative than the 3%-4% numbers you see going about.

It's also interesting in the context of ease of transmission. This suggests about a 3% community spread which is a lot less than many models notably the HSE suggest.
                                                                                              A lot of the Korean cases are still in their early stages, over the next few weeks the rate should unfortunately rise

Comment

I tend to agree with you that 1st world countries will trend closer to a mortality rate in line with South Korea.
                                                                                                The worry lies with those less affluent countries, early indications of North Korea suggest 200+ soldiers have died from the virus.

South Korea vs Italy will offer an interesting comparison. Similar levels of wealth, population and time since first case.
                                                                                                The difference in mortality rate for those with underlying health conditions and above 60 years may differ substantially.

Although I agree that irrespective of the intervention in place, globally we'll trend closer to the figures from South Korea, I believe credit must be given to their early interventionist tactics.

The figures suggest they have succeeded to date as a result of their "Trace, Test & Treat" mantra while not wasting resources.
                                                                                                No lockdowns, no roadblocks and no restriction on movement.

Effectively a 21st century response to the issue and others should be falling in line.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                  Just had an awful thought
                                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                                  This is going to affect The Masters isn’t it
                                                                                                  Had the same thought last night. Then I thought no way Trump will let them cancel the Masters. Can’t imagine them playing it with no crowds though.

How the players is going ahead is beyond me. Euro tour and other events cancelled (albeit lower tier events).
                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

A lot of the Korean cases are still in their early stages, over the next few weeks the rate should unfortunately rise
                                                                                                    This is a fair point, however I think the estimate allows for it by loading the observed mortaility rate by 50%. In this context that's a very substantial number.

Comment

Unless of course early intervention has the capacity to save substantial amounts of lives which would have been lost had they been detected far later.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                        Had the same thought last night. Then I thought no way Trump will let them cancel the Masters. Can’t imagine them playing it with no crowds though.

How the players is going ahead is beyond me. Euro tour and other events cancelled (albeit lower tier events).
                                                                                                        I suppose at least in golf it’s easy for players to keep their distance
                                                                                                        I was cringing watching the Liverpool game last night, simeone spiting, lots of hugging , handshakes etc on the pitch and in the crowd . Klopp little high five swerve was the exception.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 12-03-20, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                          I hope you’re right. The concern I see is that the Italian mortality rate is much higher due to an overwhelmed health service, and we’re obviously prime candidates for such a situation considering the lack of concurrent capacity within our system and the ~15 - 20% hospital management rate.
                                                                                                          I think there's a really important point about mortality rate and testing levels here. Because South Korea has completed over 350% of the number of tests Italy has and has a 16% smaller population, their overall estimate of the population infected and thus the incident mortality is likely to be more accurate.

At the sort of numbers involved relative to population size, this effect is likely to be very non-linear so I would tend to apply much higher confidence to the south Korean number.

Comment

Kinda feel for Harris et al, dont think they’ve reacted fast enough but they will be the scapegoats when this gets bad , talk about bad timing

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                Ah we need to lay off with things like that. This literally hasn't happened before, of course there's going to be indecision and missteps along the way everywhere.
                                                                                                                That won’t matter to the mob
                                                                                                                Cheltenham attendees and organisers do need to be thrown to the wolves though, they had no excuse

Somewhere out there there’s a Facebook profile saying something along the lines of “cancelling my Cheltenham jolly is what the Virus wants us to do, I’m not letting it win”
                                                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 12-03-20, 10:28.

Comment

Get the bread in
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                    Ah we need to lay off with things like that. This literally hasn't happened before, of course there's going to be indecision and missteps along the way everywhere.
                                                                                                                    Imagine we had ministers who were still learning how to pull the levers.

Comment

Unless of course early intervention has the capacity to save substantial amounts of lives which would have been lost had they been detected far later.
                                                                                                                      Does it have much impact? It's uncurable, once you've enough ICUs and ventilators I don't think catching people when they're asymptomatic makes much of a difference.

Comment

Leo to do a presser live from washington, 6am time, coveney and harris presser at 11.30am
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Our office is officially closed as of 10am today.
                                                                                                                          Collect everything you need by then and don't return until further notice.

I'm a tad surprised by the response but schools likely to shut for a significant period of time very soon and many businesses will be following suit.

I thought a little rash but it looks like they're simply getting out ahead of the inevitable.
                                                                                                                          I pulled the cord myself yesterday afternoon. WFH until further notice.
                                                                                                                          I'm already coughing a good few days, and taking care of a post heart op 80 year old.
                                                                                                                          The cough is here since corona was still in it's infancy in china. Having spent the last 3.5 months in hospitals, pretty sure I picked something up but better safe than sorry.
                                                                                                                          Have been trying local GP all day to arrange test (not that I think I have it be to alleviate worry and fear)
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X