Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    You're going to end up like Denny and his Trump Trump Trump at this stage with the China speil, where you start to over-believe it. Corona is over in China, they beat it, its the Italians we're hating on now with their despicable mafia and meatball culture.
    Most Italians would try to convince you that Mafia/Camorra/NDragha corruption/incompetence is limited to down south, starting somewhere around the Bay of Naples.
    And that anywhere north of that is a normal functioning and affluent country, one of the most organised in the world.
    Fascinating in a way that the covid19 situation seems to have been very much a northern Italy shambles.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You're going to end up like Denny and his Trump Trump Trump at this stage with the China speil, where you start to over-believe it. Corona is over in China, they beat it, its the Italians we're hating on now with their despicable mafia and meatball culture.
        Honestly, I have little issue with China in general. You can't help but applaud their meteoric economic ascent.

Whether it was China or any other nation, I would still question the value of claims that an excellent job has been done thus far given the relative infancy of the situation. That's the crux of the claims for me.

It's not as much about China as it may seem, it's fundamentally about sample size. The other stuff is just a very legitimate buttress.

Happy to hate on the meatballs now that they came here in light of the game being cancelled.

Highly distracted in town today "ring shopping" but still saw quite a few groups in town today.

Comment

Just one more case here today. Bucks the trend.

Would be nice to know the positive tests to number of tests ratio.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

@ Ste, there's plans for a Supervalu in my village, will be absolutely amazing if it goes ahead.

Is there somewhere online I can view any possible objections?
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

What the fuck does be going on in the heads of people

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Portmarnock GC just sent an email saying one of its members has Corona Virus
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Have said this too many time but Three Leaves in BlackRock is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        What the fuck does be going on in the heads of people

Its Corona beer that gives you the shits . Easy mistake for these peeps .

Comment

Why would there be objections out of interest. (Unless Aodhan O'Riordan covers your area).
                          The local garage is a gold mine. So a traffic objection appears. Call me cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                            where?
                            On a plot near the school, same side of the road. Proper Supervalu too apparently, not one of those express type of things.

Comment

Why would there be objections out of interest. (Unless Aodhan O'Riordan covers your area).
                              There's an oul wan that owns the local goldmine Texaco Spar that has put the kybosh on lots of potential cafes and stores.

She bought a retail unit and left it idle rather than someone come in and compete.

An oul battle axe

Comment

Ye all live out near Weston right? I often wonder how long it will be until if becomes a housing estate. The fact that a property developer bought it and is doing his best to alienate all aviation tenants leads me to believe it won't be long.

Comment

Large areas of Lombardy going into full lockdown from tonight.

Comment

Hmmm, I have a few boxes of plastic packed spare parts arriving with me on Monday from Lombardy

Comment

Italian authorities announced that a new decree containing draconian measures would be approved later on Saturday. It will include the power to impose fines on anyone caught entering or leaving Lombardy, the worst-affected region, until 3 April. People may be allowed in and out for serious reasons. The decree provides for banning all public events, closing cinemas, theatres, gyms, discos and pubs. Religious ceremonies such as funerals and weddings will also be banned.
                                      Government’s draft decree would impose fines on anyone caught entering or leaving northern region

I don't know about the origins of this data or how accurate it is but no wonder they are coming around to the Chinese way of thinking if its in anyway accurate..

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                        Ye all live out near Weston right? I often wonder how long it will be until if becomes a housing estate. The fact that a property developer bought it and is doing his best to alienate all aviation tenants leads me to believe it won't be long.
                                        Funny, had thoughts around this this morning, not Weston exactly, urban sprawl.

Went out for an early morning run. Ran by Citywest shopping centre towards Fettercairn in Tallaght. Past the infamous torn down Lidl.

On the way there I run through Rathcoole, Saggart and Citywest. I rarely run beyond into Tallaght. I'm from Tallaght, which is prob important to state given the following...

What a fucking kip. Just crossed over the border between Citywest and Brookfield and it felt like night and day. Massive amounts of litter, like 'fuck the bin, fuck it on the ground' levels of litter. Wasn't some rogue wind lifted green bin. This was 'I don't give a fuck. You clean it' levels of litter.
                                        Crows tearing apart half ripped and strewn black rubbish bags. Gaffs with heaps of junk in the front garden. More rubbish bags. Litter everywhere. People just did not give a fuck about where they lived. (Some people obv, most are sound)

Got me thinking.

What drives people, people who generally depend on the state, ie, others, to get them through life, what drives them to throw rubbish on the ground, and say 'fuck it, someone else will clean it up' ? What drives them to not give a fuck about society, not care about anyone around them? When those around them are the ones supporting them.

Dawned on me that it's the Brits. The Brits are at fault.
                                        They created an economy that drew masses to Dublin from the rurals (good, don't get me wrong). They legged it back to England when things went to shit.
                                        They posh flighted out of the Georgian mansions and created the tenements. Letting them rot into disrepair but collecting the rent.
                                        The tenants didn't give a fook about their surroundings because to do so supported the cunce who had the boot on their neck. Son followed Da who followed Da and here we are. Cunce not giving a fuck about their surroundings.

But urban sprawl.

Tenements began to fall apart. Literally. The new caring Irish government built houses outside the city limits, Drimnagh, Cabra, Crumlin, demolishing or boarding the tenements and housing the peasants.

That's the 40s and 50s. Walkinstown was a frontier. Rural.

60s, Walkinstown is developed, Finglas maybe, city grows. Castleknock the edge.

70s, Ballymun, a dip into Tallaght, as far as Greenhills. Some development around Clondalkin.

80s, massive sprawl of Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin/Neilstown.

90s, More Tallaght growth tipping Saggart, Blanch growing into Clonee Co. Meath. Lucan exploding. Roundabouts. Lots of them.

00s, Ghost estates in Carlow. Lost the run of ourselves.

10s, Picking up where we left off, filling in the gaps.

20s, Gaffs on your runway. Soon.

Great run though. Thought provoking.
                                        Last edited by Lazare; 07-03-20, 23:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                          Just one more case here today. Bucks the trend.

Would be nice to know the positive tests to number of tests ratio.
                                          There’s only one new case because they only ran a batch of tests this morning and the NVRL are off until Monday. Think about how ridiculous that is in the context of the current situation. I think it sums up the Irish response to date too.

Here’s a GP who parrots my thoughts anyway:

"Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Has there been any thought to cancelling/postponing the IO/Norwegian Open? Live poker seems like a terrible idea at the moment, especially when you consider a lot of players/dealers approach to handwashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                              Has there been any thought to cancelling/postponing the IO/Norwegian Open? Live poker seems like a terrible idea at the moment, especially when you consider a lot of players/dealers approach to handwashing.
                                              I doubt any organising body is going to voluntarily cancel their own event - it's the sort of decision that has to come 'from above'.

Comment

They brought out a statement today saying its more than likely going ahead. Hand sanitizers everywhere, more signs to wash your hands etc but the main problem is everyone coming from infected countries

I mean, I'm due to meet 2 Northern Italians for dinner who arrive on the 27th march. I might be flaking on them I was talking to them and they said apart from the schools closing now all they were really doing was less touching and stuff(Continentals love an auld kiss). One of them is gone to Amsterdam now for the week to an event too. Like jesus😳 my immune system was always fucked at a long poker event. Long hours, lack of sleep and too many pints always left me sick by the end of the week
                                                Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

So there is a room full of people, around 1000+. They are divided into tables of 8/9. Those 8 or 9 people are co-touching cards and chips. All of them are then putting their hands to their nose/mouth area. (Try not putting your hands to your nose/mouth area for 10 minutes) If you are the Irish government, you would describe that scenario as low risk because to describe it as anything else would maybe cost a few people money and those few people would likely be friendly with politicians. Nothing should be stopped until it is absolutely proven that it is going to kill people and even then we should weigh up the economic cost to our friends (the rich people).

In my opinion, poker events are the best possible breeding grounds for any virus to multiply. A large percentage of poker players are disgusting when it comes to personal hygiene in my view under normal circumstances. Under these circumstances do you really think that they will mend their ways?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                    I doubt any organising body is going to voluntarily cancel their own event - it's the sort of decision that has to come 'from above'.
                                                    Kayroo & others will know more but live poker in Ireland already sits in a legally grey space via private members clubs.
                                                    Perhaps in the event that a top down directive called for the cancelling of mass gatherings, there exists legal loopholes around what qualifies as a mass gathering that would allow it go ahead anyway.

At this point based on the utterances of the government, they won't impinge on it.
                                                    However, if it spreads to a worrying level, a large contingent of Norwegians may decide not to travel here, leading to a cancellation.

Comment

The Italians now implementing Chinese type protocols in Lombardy after it got out of hand to the tune of 1200 cases in a day.

Why wait until we get there? Let’s implement two weeks of quarantine / social distancing measures now and make a horse race of containment. People are prepped and they will understand. It *will* save lives.
                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                        There's an oul wan that owns the local goldmine Texaco Spar that has put the kybosh on lots of potential cafes and stores.

She bought a retail unit and left it idle rather than someone come in and compete.

An oul battle axe
                                                        According to my sister in law who lives that way she was selling sausages in singles during snow last year to squeeze more profit

Comment

At the very least ban the horse whipping/neck breaking fest in Cheltenham
                                                          Unbelievable that it’s going ahead-absolutely reckless , but seeing as they don’t really care about the animals not a surprise that they would be so cavalier in their attitude towards human health

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                            According to my sister in law who lives that way she was selling sausages in singles during snow last year to squeeze more profit
                                                            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                              The Italians now implementing Chinese type protocols in Lombardy after it got out of hand to the tune of 1200 cases in a day.

Why wait until we get there? Let’s implement two weeks of quarantine / social distancing measures now and make a horse race of containment. People are prepped and they will understand. It *will* save lives.
                                                              South Korea appears to be employing measures that are worth following by all.
                                                              South Korea with 60m people vs the 51m of Italy had tested almost 5 times the number Italy did a number of days ago.
                                                              I haven't seen the updated numbers for Italy but South Korea have gone from 109k tested to over 150k people in 4 days. Italy at the time had tested only 23k people.

South Korea have tested many mild cases which is the reason for low death rates.
                                                              They provide real time updates to everyone via text of all cases so they know the places and times of cases which have been confirmed irrespective of the symptoms.

Some questions around the level of info being given out may make people known but that seems the lesser of two evils as it's not overt, no names but various details like occupation for example.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                At the very least ban the horse whipping/neck breaking fest in Cheltenham
                                                                Unbelievable that it’s going ahead-absolutely reckless , but seeing as they don’t really care about the animals not a surprise that they would be so cavalier in their attitude towards human health
                                                                Aye mate, we get it.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Any MMA fans, the Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk was probably the best Women’s fight I’ve ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                      Any MMA fans, the Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk was probably the best Women’s fight I’ve ever seen
                                                                      Crazy fight. Poor Jojo looked like elephant man by the end of it

Comment

What's the point of a lockdown in North Italy if your main trian stations and airports are still operational. Feels like something you need a big military presence for to control peoples movements.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Whats really pissing me off about this corona stuff is the government can literally look into the future and predict the way this is going just by looking at patient zero cases in other countys two and three weeks behind us, hilarious the way they can take the weekend off in the middle of all of this, if there are massive numbers Monday and Tuesday as opposed to the one yesterday it says it all really.
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                            Whats really pissing me off about this corona stuff is the government can literally look into the future and predict the way this is going just by looking at patient zero cases in other countys two and three weeks behind us, hilarious the way they can take the weekend off in the middle of all of this, if there are massive numbers Monday and Tuesday as opposed to the one yesterday it says it all really.
                                                                            The HSE not working weekends...

Fianna Fáil.
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Agree with shutting it all down now.

Hard to take the economic arguments seriously when bailing the banks out wasn’t even a discussion.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Fianna Fáil.
                                                                                Dont even get me started on not out and out canceling St.Patricks day

Im going to keep my strength up with some beef ribs, slowly braised in red wine, its at times like these you need those extra 10's of KG's... just in case.
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

World class stupidity there from the French prop.
                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Dont even get me started on not out and out canceling St.Patricks day
                                                                                      Of all the things you could and perhaps should be cancelling the Patricks day parade is in my humble and ill informed opinion way down the list.

But it is great at focusing everyone's attention on their idea of an easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                        World class stupidity there from the French prop.
                                                                                        Young props tend to be brainless

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

Fianna Fáil.
                                                                                          Unions more like.

Comment

What an absolutely rubbish game. Scotland dragging us down to their level of shiteness, and ref is a fucking joke!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                              Young props tend to be brainless
                                                                                              Le Grand Chelem at stake though. There are no excuses.

Comment

Of all the things you could and perhaps should be cancelling the Patricks day parade is in my humble and ill informed opinion way down the list.

Its what comes with it though, every pub in the country jammed to the rafters.

We need to limit these type of gatherings imo.
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Close schools and universities
                                                                                                  Move companies to working from home
                                                                                                  Close pubs, etc for a week
                                                                                                  Shut down public transport for two weeks
                                                                                                  Significantly curtail privately operated international travel
                                                                                                  Engage the army for humanitarian support

The important thing about st paddy’s festival celebrations is that it symbolically signals to the populace that Ireland is taking an economic hit to save lives. Cancelling that prepares everyone for the more important measures from a psychological perspective.

Comment

Its what comes with it though, every pub in the country jammed to the rafters.

We need to limit these type of gatherings imo.
                                                                                                    Well, either you do or you don't.

John Crown is calling for the parade to be cancelled while agreeing that the parade itself is not a problem but that there is an issue with people congregating in pubs and pointing at the level of hygiene in your typical pub.
                                                                                                    That makes absolutely no sense, either pubs are a problem or they are not and if they are a problem next week they are a problem this week.

Whatever measures are taken must be effective, proportionate and have their underlying basis in scientific fact.

In any case there is now only a minuscule chance St patricks day goes ahead but that will be because of the Joe Duffy effect and nothing to with medical advice.

The Poker and similar events are still expected to go ahead despite it being exactly the kind of gathering that shouldn't be held. Although by Easter we are likely to be in a very different place and it will be cancelled too.

Comment

The important thing about st paddy’s festival celebrations is that it symbolically signals to the populace that Ireland is taking an economic hit to save lives. Cancelling that prepares everyone for the more important measures from a psychological perspective.
                                                                                                      That I completely agree with and its 1.01 to happen.

Comment

Before we even get things off the ground . . .

Opr

Comment

Close schools and universities
                                                                                                          Move companies to working from home
                                                                                                          Close pubs, etc for a week
                                                                                                          Shut down public transport for two weeks
                                                                                                          Significantly curtail privately operated international travel
                                                                                                          Engage the army for humanitarian support
                                                                                                          .
                                                                                                          And then what? Open things up again, someone infected enters the country and it all begins again?

Agree re cancellation of large public gatherings but going full nuclear before we even know if Italy is an exception rather than the inevitable seems hasty and could be economically catastrophic.
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                            And then what? Open things up again, someone infected enters the country and it all begins again?

Agree re cancellation of large public gatherings but going full nuclear before we even know if Italy is an exception rather than the inevitable seems hasty and could be economically catastrophic.
                                                                                                            Yep, open things up again post flu season moving towards better weather where our health service is better equipped to deal with it because we’ve had more time to prepare ICU capacity and there is less load on the system. Hope that in that three week period the rest of the EU also moves towards harsher quarantine procedures and we gave simply got a jump on the matter.

There will be an economic cost either way, but it will be much less if we act now rather than wait to be overwhelmed and then start to act.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                              I wondered if this is one of the underlying reasons for the way in which it is being handled that doesn't look obvious on the surface. It looks increasing like fact that once invected you are then immune after recovery.

So is the response to this to slow the spread enough to allow the health system to cope as the virus spreads and then recover given that as a population the contraction and aftermath is inevitable even if you can hold it off this time. Almost like a controlled explosion type response. It would hardly be a palatable thing to put out publically as the response measure. Feel a bit conspiratory theorists writing this post

Opr

Comment

Lidl are doing Le Creuset casserole dishes as one of their special deals.

Lidl ..... Le Creuset ..... ffs
                                                                                                                We're soo foicking back loike!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                  Lidl are doing Le Creuset casserole dishes as one of their special deals.

Lidl ..... Le Creuset ..... ffs
                                                                                                                  We're soo foicking back loike!!!
                                                                                                                  Real le creuset or just copies ?

Comment

I see Stars haved postponed all live events in Europe till April 10th at first.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                      Real le creuset or just copies ?
                                                                                                                      Staub is superior imo.

I think the description I heard was 'Le Creuset is what cooks use, Staub is what chefs use'.

Comment

Rory pulling a Rory.

Although even at 2 back I think he's prob fav here as it stands.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X