Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mia is in second year but doesn't want to do transition year, instead she wants to do what she calls her dream. Anyone have any idea on this stuff.
    Dunno where she comes up with these ideas!

She wants to go to a USA school and be gone a full year

I'm not loving the marketing on that link BTW hence asking here
    Last edited by SatNav; 07-12-19, 21:28.
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Reading a book about whether general vs specific knowledge is useful and they mentioned Django Reinhardt as an example of general talent. Born a Roma knacker on the outskirts of Paris and built fame from nothing to such an extent that they gave a whole new name to his type of music 'gpysy jazz'. Some life story for the guy.

I guess a lot of you have heard one of his compositions:
        David Epstein, author of The Sports Gene has a recent book on that topic in the domain of sport called Range: How Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World. It's not bad, I assume similar type of thing.

Here's Joe challenging an 84 year old to some push ups and calling him fat

Joe Biden got into a spat with a voter at a campaign event in Iowa on Thursday in an exchange that had the Democratic 2020 hopeful lashing out at the man and...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          Fucking hell. Leinster are a rugby machine.

This is incredible.
          Rugby machine in a comp the English and french clubs consider secondary to their domestic leagues.

Comment

Feeling the post Christmas party cringe . Somehow burnt my hand . Need a beard and shades for work on Monday

Comment

Comment

Comment

That's the book I'm reading! Interesting, although feel it could be condensed to a Blinkist 15 min read.
                  I got bored of him basically saying the same thing over and over and gave up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    That makes it all the better.

Currently in transit to a boozer where I hope to catch the second half of Munster vs the most despicable team in rugby. Then to (and I quote) a wanky beer tasting. Then Indian food. Seems a solid lineup.
                    You won't often hear me say this but that was too wanky.

Wonderful shop though and the owner is a great guy. Anyone looking to buy epicurean Christmas presents should go there.Somehow went home with three cans of vintage sardines and a bag of Vietnamese coffee.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      I got bored of him basically saying the same thing over and over and gave up on it.
                      I finished it but definitely echo the same, it was very repetitive, a far cry from The Sports Gene.
                      It seems as though it could be simply a section of a book on sports performance perhaps.

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                      Did read a brilliant book recently Invisible Women that would highly recommend. Best book I've read in at least a year, just from the amount of surprising biases that exist against women. (well not surprising to women, just to me maybe).
                      If it turned out to be as enjoyable as A Man called Ove then I'm sold, that was really enjoyable.

By the sounds of things, I read a somewhat similar book a while back that you might like, it's interesting but she portrays her frustration and anger so well that I found it a little exhausting at times but highlights how oblivious you are:
                      SPOILER

Comment

Ah, if it's Epstein that would probably explain the amount of sports parables, plus why I felt I'd read quite a few of the examples before.
                        It turns out John Delaney wasn't quite the paragon of responsible corporate governance that you made him out to be!

So now we know. It is laid out before us in all its gory detail. The FAI's inglorious bastards have screwed Irish football. In fact, they have screwed Irish sport. Things can never be the same again.

Comment

Boris Johnson has claimed there will be a bonking bonanza across Britain if he stays in No 10. The prime minister predicted a post-Brexit baby boom to mirror 2012, the year of the London Olympics. He said: “Cupid’s darts will fly once we get Brexit done.
                          Romance will bloom across the whole nation."
                          https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...boom-v93jqmjxp

Did the Sunday Times always read like a copy of Viz?
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Some might find this interesting:

So... bit of talk about Whiskey on here a while ago

I cant be the only one who went on YouTube looking at whiskey videos afterwards

If you do, you come across these lads

A whisk(e)y starter guide! Rex and Daniel asked the Whiskey Tribe for the best advice they have for beginners. After the lads offer up the results, Rex tries...

Earlier videos seem a bit more straight to point

Simple tasting notes, general advice, a lot of talk about don't be a snob and some talk on how the main whiskey mass producer in US arnt as evil as made out to be

Patreon account, people send them bottles to try, set up a non-profit whiskey school (Whiskey academy) and their own distillery

Whiskey school taught by the in-house grade 3 Whiskey Sommelier

So far so.... wait what is a Whiskey Sommelier?

Oohh it is an in-house qualification that can cause $1000's to get and has no industry recognition...

How long does it take to get to Grade 1?
                            2 days, $2 grand, with no whiskey/drinks background needed

Grade 3 the highest grade?
                            No, apparently Grade 5 is... he is only Grade 3 because he hasn't written the Grade 4 test yet

All owned by the Wizard Academy marketing non-profit marketing school
                            Who teach a course like this:

Now their first release of whiskey is a blend bought from said largest mass producer in US (standard procedure for new whiskeys to blend other whiskeys to get the taste they want), sold to Patrons.

Anyone who complains about the qualification, prices or quality of whiskey is called a snob (see above), kicked out of "tribe" and or online attacked by their followers

The Sommeliers industry knowledge comes from 5 years as a barman

The Mooch is apparently the son of the owner of the business

More here:

Bar person in the comments said that he has dealt with a few customers who have been mouthy about being whiskey Sommeliers and the therefore know more than the bar

Complaints about corks leaking in peoples luggage etc

American government have given credence to the non profit marketing school and they then use this as backup for the school and the qualification

Bit cult/Scientology init

Anyhu, anyone fancy setting out a stout or cider brewery/school in the states with me?
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-12-19, 13:21.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                              https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...boom-v93jqmjxp

Did the Sunday Times always read like a copy of Viz?

Shaking hands with santa on the front page....

That being said. Labour absolutely fucked now with the latest leaks.

The above is long but worth a read.

And this is pretty powerful.

It's a little bit shady in terms of the setup, but it's a neat example of how insidious the problem is.

Granted, you could pose the same argument using tory voters and use the watermelon smiles stuff but sadly, there's shit on all sides
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Not a defense of Labour in any shape or form

The papers attacking Labour are the same ones who slagged of the last leader of the Labour party, who happened to be Jewish, for not eating a bacon sandwich

Same papers who are backing a candidate who is openly bigoted

Same papers who constantly push lies about foreigners to back Brexit, who have helped create the atmosphere of hate in the UK at the moment

It's all straight from the Trump/Putin/various other cunce playbook

If in UK, vote Labour because they are not the Tories, and then haunt Labour to sort their shit out

Oohh and it's on all sides because England is full of dumb fucks... saying that, some of the language ive heard since moving back to Ireland used around race/gender/sexuality can sound like it's from the 70's
                                Last edited by Guest; 08-12-19, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

The papers attacking Labour are the same ones who slagged of the last leader of the Labour party, who happened to be a jew, for not eating a bacon sandwich

Same papers who constantly push lies about foreigners to back Brexit, who have helped create the atmosphere of hate in the UK at the moment

If in UK, vote Labour because they are not the Tories, and then haunt Labour to sort their shit out

Oohh and it's on all sides because England is full of dumb cunts... saying that, some of the language ive heard since moving back used around race/sexuality in Ireland can sound like it's from the 70's
                                  I don't disagree with any of this.
                                  Just bemoaning the fact that it's a vote between two racist institutions.
                                  Picking which is the least stinky shit still leaves you with shit.
                                  Labour is the lesser of two evils but its infuriating what they have become.
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

The papers attacking Labour are the same ones who slagged of the last leader of the Labour party, who happened to be Jewish, for not eating a bacon sandwich

It's all straight from the Trump/Putin/various other cunce playbook

Oohh and it's on all sides because England is full of dumb fucks... saying that, some of the language ive heard since moving back to Ireland used around race/gender/sexuality can sound like it's from the 70's
                                    As RD3 said, it's not quite Fox & CNN as of yet but it really feels as though it's become polarised to the point that story itself is now completely irrelevant.

The trajectory of journalism in general has been towards more hyperbole for a long time pre Trump/Brexit but even journalists that I particularly like on both sides like George Monbiot and Douglas Murray seem to be in a constant game of oneupmanship.

When you have to read the same story twice from two different publications to attempt to parse out the truth of a story, it's just a little like why bother.

Comment

anyway, some will like

Burial, collected EP's etc
                                      Tunes 2011-2019

Comment

Hard to disagree with any of this.

Comment

Could be worse

Comment

Great hattrick from Messi. He makes it look far too easy. Suarez goal was pretty special too

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                Mia is in second year but doesn't want to do transition year, instead she wants to do what she calls her dream. Anyone have any idea on this stuff.

I wouldn't fancy it, sounds like it could be very hit and miss. I'd be looking to talk to lots of people who have been through it before considering it.

TY can be great or a total waste of time depending on both the kid and the programme available. I'd be thinking that a music themed TY would be a good plan, or else don't bother and go straight to 5th year.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Going over the hapenny bridge Caught my knee in the pocket of a snorkel jacket . Headfirst into a Roma girl who cushioned my fall by placing both her hands in my pockets .

Comment

Not overly impressed with the 2 paragraphs on that website.
                                                    forget what you think you know from TV and movies!
                                                    WTF is that shite?

avoid like plague IMO

Comment

Reading a book about whether general vs specific knowledge is useful and they mentioned Django Reinhardt as an example of general talent. Born a Roma knacker on the outskirts of Paris and built fame from nothing to such an extent that they gave a whole new name to his type of music 'gpysy jazz'. Some life story for the guy.

I guess a lot of you have heard one of his compositions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpmOTGungnA
                                                      Anyone that has played the Bioshock video games would know this guy. His music features all over it. Really class stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        I wouldn't fancy it, sounds like it could be very hit and miss. I'd be looking to talk to lots of people who have been through it before considering it.

TY can be great or a total waste of time depending on both the kid and the programme available. I'd be thinking that a music themed TY would be a good plan, or else don't bother and go straight to 5th year.
                                                        Ty in her school is going to be manditory. I detest ty think it's a waste and makes them lazy.

She doesn't do music In school chose business.

She is mad to travel abroad which I think is fantastic but I agree, I need more info on this.
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Ty in her school is going to be manditory. I detest ty think it's a waste and makes them lazy.

She is mad to travel abroad which I think is fantastic but I agree, I need more info on this.
                                                          Sister did ty and loved it but she worked while doing it and got some experience. We had a young lad in work last week from the local school on ty experience too so not always a waste.

Great that she wants to travel but will be plenty of time for that once she gets the (meaningless overall) leaving cert. When shes 18 and not an immature child any more. Youd only be worried sick about her all the time if she went so young imo.

That said, I dont have kids so what do I know. Just an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                            Great hattrick from Messi. He makes it look far too easy. Suarez goal was pretty special too

Yeah Suarez finish was extra extra special

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                              https://youtu.be/MjUWX6S8iYU

Hard to disagree with any of this.
                                                              Top class rant that. Best I've seen.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Shut this crap down quick and tell she's doing TY like every other kid. I wouldn't entertain this in any way.

When she's an adult she can make her own choices. Until then STFU and go to school.
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                  Sister did ty and loved it but she worked while doing it and got some experience. We had a young lad in work last week from the local school on ty experience too so not always a waste.

Great that she wants to travel but will be plenty of time for that once she gets the (meaningless overall) leaving cert. When shes 18 and not an immature child any more. Youd only be worried sick about her all the time if she went so young imo.

No she's, very mature and the most independent human iv prob come across. She's, still on about it this evening.

She has found another link wants me to mail re prices,.im not saying because she is my own daughter but she is highly intelligent.

Her business studies teacher told me she would come in the top 3% of country in subject. That she is a natural at it.

She loves maths and business hates everything else, finds science awful but yet teacher says she is one of her top students

She is currently studying downstairs and gets really angry and frustrated if she gets anything wrong in exams.

She really wants to follow this up. I know it's early days and could be a whim but I'm proud of her to be thinking that kind of way.

*think I may have taken wrong child home from hospital
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

lol what. This is just not true.
                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                      As in she will need it to get into college but in the grand scheme of life it's pretty meaningless and not the be all and end all teachers make it out to be.

Comment

Correct I know from having one that didn't do well from leaving cert.

Mia wants to go to college and do what she wants to do and will need a good leaving cert to do so.

Edit to say. Not doing well meaning she is stuck in a dead end job she hates. And now regrets not doing well in leaving cert and told me so
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

As in she will need it to get into college but in the grand scheme of life it's pretty meaningless and not the be all and end all teachers make it out to be.
                                                                          I agree to this also. I didn't even do the leaving cert and have a fantastic job I love. But you want the best for your kids. I'd love Mia to go to college and have a degree or whatever that she can get into any country in the world. She won't go that far if she doesn't do well in her leaving cert imo
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Mulled apple and sloe gin is a pretty delicious drink, may not stop drinking them until 1st of Jan now.
                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                              Mulled apple and sloe gin is a pretty delicious drink, may not stop drinking them until 1st of Jan now.
                                                                              Oh.. This sounds very me. Where does one find this
                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

I agree to this also. I didn't even do the leaving cert and have a fantastic job I love. But you want the best for your kids. I'd love Mia to go to college and have a degree or whatever that she can get into any country in the world. She won't go that far if she doesn't do well in her leaving cert imo
                                                                                Exactly. Which is why she should stay in school and get the leaving cert and forget about America until she can do a J1 in college. Would be far more beneficial to her imo.

Comment

Exactly. Which is why she should stay in school and get the leaving cert and forget about America until she can do a J1 in college. Would be far more beneficial to her imo.
                                                                                  I know very little about it, it's a couple yrs away could change obv but imo let her on aged 17 ish and discover the world independently and do something different. It could change her whole life. Not many 14yr olds would have a dream like that and as I said I'm proud of her forward thinking.

Either way when it comes to travel and education I will support all the way as she is very studious.

She is an absolute pleasure of a child and rarely asks for anything so if she asks I will deliver.
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

With RDIII on it. Sounds like bollocks...keep the head down and grind the LC is optimal.

Comment

This is naive.

I doubt teachers think its the be all and end all. But also, giving any message other than "this is the most important thing to you at this moment" to teenagers is a terrible message.

Doing well in the LC is a result of great habits, discipline and yeah... most a memory test, but thats life too.

Doing well in the LC gives a kid serious confidence.

It's also the one objective national measurement that paves the way for the rest of your life, at the point in your life where lots of things are set in motion.

It's literally as far from meaningless as possible for Mia at this point in her life.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This is naive.

I doubt teachers think its the be all and end all. But also, giving any message other than "this is the most important thing to you at this moment" to teenagers is a terrible message.

Doing well in the LC is a result of great habits, discipline and yeah... most a memory test, but thats life too.

It's also the one objective national measurement that paves the way for the rest of your life, at the point in your life where lots of things are set in motion.

It's literally as far from meaningless as possible for Mia at this point in her life.
                                                                                        you're taking it very literally

We're not talking to teenagers here, if I was talking to SatNavs daughter directly, I'd tell her to stay in school, get the LC and her opportunities will be endless, to travel anywhere inthe world, without it she would be severely limited as to what she could do with her career.

Comment

Oh.. This sounds very me. Where does one find this
                                                                                          Was given it at a dinner but apparently below was the recipe used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yDpqi_qCY
                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

you're taking it very literally

We're not talking to teenagers here, if I was talking to SatNavs daughter directly, I'd tell her to stay in school, get the LC and her opportunities will be endless, to travel anywhere inthe world, without it she would be severely limited as to what she could do with her career.
                                                                                              Obv she is doing her leaving cert in Ireland but wants to take the year out for ty and go to USA to study for that year come back to her normal school then for 5th Yr. All this has to be approved by her principal etc

It's not simple and very expensive but what a fantastic thing to do instead of ty
                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

This is naive.

All of this.

There is a set of 14 exams that airline pilots have to go through that are absolutely soul-crushing in terms of the sheer volume of completely irrelevant information that needs to be absorbed, and they have a 75% pass mark. They're useless in terms of the operational life of a pilot, but they serve the purpose of testing the will of the candidates, their attention to detail, their commitment to tasks and lots of other things. Nobody ends up at the front of an A320 without seriously earning their spot.
                                                                                                  The LC is part education and part opportunity to separate yourself from the crowd and be the master of your own destiny to at least some degree. Sure its not the be-all-and-end-all but as Theresa said focusing on it is the best favour she can do herself at this point in her life.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Guest; 08-12-19, 22:48.

Comment

...

Comment

The whole education system is completely broken.

Leaving cert is not meaningless. It can seem like the most important thing to a kid because of all the pressure surrounding it. I say this as someone who wasn't too worried about it but could see quite a few others freaking out. It's a pile of bollocks though.

If you look back on your life, career, whatever else - leaving cert has very little bearing on it in my opinion. No one asks about how you did in the leaving cert in a job interview. Well not in too many industries I don't think.

Depending on where you want to go with your life when you are 18, it can seem like it's crucial. But we shouldn't be forcing kids to make those kinds of choices at that age. How many of us here are working in the same industry that they started in out of college? Or working in an industry directly related to what they studied, 10 years later?

Maybe others have had different experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                        How many of us here are working in the same industry that they started in out of college? Or working in an industry directly related to what they studied, 10 years later?

Maybe others have had different experiences.
                                                                                                        I'm literally working IN the college .

Comment

You can say what you like about the Leaving cert but its very fair and an effective test to sort out those who will work from those who are 'just' smart and as such is a great filter for college entry. Its also quite democratic with only marginal advantage gained from throwing money at it.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Couldn't disagree more, its horrifically disproportionate and puts far too much focus on students who can perform on a fixed date, continued assessment with monitored assessors is the only way forward

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                                              Couldn't disagree more, its horrifically disproportionate and puts far too much focus on students who can perform on a fixed date, continued assessment with monitored assessors is the only way forward
                                                                                                              She's currently Guinea pig for that for junior cert be interesting to see how that fairs out.
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Be nice to explain the game to the kids if you're gonna make them play it, better still, understand the game yourself before you make them play it!

Flood 4-12 year old schooling with more money than any other part of the system, make every kid understand, then run your little "worker bee's get rewarded" game on them

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                  You can say what you like about the Leaving cert but its very fair and an effective test to sort out those who will work from those who are 'just' smart and as such is a great filter for college entry. Its also quite democratic with only marginal advantage gained from throwing money at it.
                                                                                                                  100% disagree.
                                                                                                                  Paid grinds are a proven path to a good leaving cert.

Comment

Be nice to explain the game to the kids if you're gonna make them play it, better still, understand the game yourself before you make them play it!

Flood 4-12 year old schooling with more money than any other part of the system, make every kid understand, then run your little "worker bee's get rewarded" game on them

What the balls are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                                                      It is dependent on one or two weeks of good work, concentration and recall. (although many a career is made that way )

But people make it seem like its the luck of the draw on the day and that continuous assessment will magically solve this perceived problem. Is it actually a problem?

I dont think it is really a problem for the vast vast majority. The questions across all subjects rhyme across years, the sample papers and ability to almost forecast the papers mean that you can actually be prepared for them. The mocks do a good job of setting you up for the day in terms of expectations and process.

I suspect with continuous assessment the individual outcomes would be similar. The best would still be the best. It might cut out the outliers of a genuine bad run of events prior to the exams for some people though, like deaths in family, illness or whatever.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Theresa; 09-12-19, 01:21. Reason: fwiw I had an incredibly avg leaving cert

Comment

What the balls are you talking about?
                                                                                                                        Explain to the kids what is what, properly explain why each subject is as it is

The one who is no good at maths and questions why they are having to do maths they will never use

The kids who don't see the point of poetry and ask what the balls are you talking about

The 4-12 year old bit should self evident

ooh and don't complain about the bureaucracy of the work place and the lack of basic understanding of people you deal with if all you want to reward is the ability to pass an exam
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 09-12-19, 01:24.

Comment

Explain to the kids what is what, properly explain why each subject is as it is

The one who is no good at maths and questions why they are having to do maths they will never use

The kids who don't see the point of poetry and ask what the balls are you talking about

ooh and don't complain about the bureaucracy of the work place and the lack of basic understanding of people you deal with if all you want to reward is the ability to pass an exam
                                                                                                                          Fair on the bolded part. Lots of scope for curriculums to almost humanize the subjects being taught. I could get on board with that.

Its got nothing to do with a "game" or "worker bees" though??

The other part is a completely different problem.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X