AA - going all in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA - going all in

Playing last night. Hit AA and raised standard 3 BBs got a lot of callers, maybe 6. Flop comes down K 10 3 rainbow. Massive raises on that more than 50% my stack. On the button, I go all in. So I quadrupled my stack. But it was comments on that I got lucky? Against 3 other all ins and on the button, was there anything wrong with pushing AA? I am reasonably new to poker.

Bit fishy to raise 3x with just one pair but can't fault your play.

Comment

You did nothing wrong. I guess when you say you quadrupled your stack there was more than one all in?
      The salty losers just annoyed none of their str8 draws (or two pair draws ) came in.
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If there were 3 other players all-in before it got to you then most of the time you will be losing with an overpair. However if it was a pub game and the lads feel obliged to comment on your play after the hand it's probably of a fairly low standard so once they have a king they'd be all-in. Don't bother worrying about what others say. Play your own game and learn as you go. Your aces won't always be winning in this spot but they won't always be losing. The structure of the game and the type of players in it make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by *PocketRockets* View Post
          Bit fishy to raise 3x with just one pair but can't fault your play.
          If you can't raise 3x with the best hand you can be dealt pre flop, what can you 3x with?

The way the game has been described he could have just shoved and got multiple callers. Nothing wrong with the raise imo.

Comment

You will never be told anything useful about poker whilst sitting at a poker table unless the dealer/floor are explaining the rules or you are sitting beside me

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              You will never be told anything useful about poker whilst sitting at a poker table unless the dealer/floor are explaining the rules or you are sitting beside me
              Disagree.

5am in Dundalk once after taking most of the cash off everyone whilst blind drunk a nice man from the North told me quietly i'd better shut up or i'd be brought out the back of the hotel. I shut up.

Comment

Next time someone says you got lucky just tell them the kiddy game is down the street then shout choo choo.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                  If you can't raise 3x with the best hand you can be dealt pre flop, what can you 3x with?

The way the game has been described he could have just shoved and got multiple callers. Nothing wrong with the raise imo.

Comment

Originally posted by *PocketRockets* View Post
                    care to elaborate?

Comment

Jesus Dobby.

Comment

Yip, that was what I was thinking AA may not be favourite against 3! But it is hard to lay down when there was no flush or straight possible. I suppose, I had 10-10 and KK to worry about but two had to have a king at least to raise that much! The K-10 was well within ranges so I suppose that could have been a problem. With 2 streets left, and a raise of 50% of my stack Iwas going to stay with it unless another K hit, so I might as well have pushed there and then! Can you guys recommend books at the level of high beginner low intermediate?

Comment

as it turned out I was up against KJ K8 and QJ

Comment

Given the game you were in, pushing AA was fine. Don't sweat the opinions of the guys getting it all in with a weak top pair, straight draw, etc.

Also, what was the flop action. OR the big bling and your stack size prior to the hand? If bets are making up half you stack that quickly, you should potentially be shoving preflop

Comment

What happened was pre flop - about 8 callers on 1 BB until it hit me on the button. I raised to 3BB trying to get a few callers. Got 6. Post flop it was raised to about 50% of my stack (which was not insignificant - I had a reasonable sized stack) . This surprised me but with 2 streets, to go there didn't seem much point in just calling. So I pushed first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercurydoc View Post
                                What happened was pre flop - about 8 callers on 1 BB until it hit me on the button. I raised to 3BB trying to get a few callers. Got 6. Post flop it was raised to about 50% of my stack (which was not insignificant - I had a reasonable sized stack) . This surprised me but with 2 streets, to go there didn't seem much point in just calling. So I pushed first.
                                sounds like you got more than quadruple your stack.
                                8 limpers plus 6x3bb pre flop calls plus 3 times your stack
                                tbh after 6 preflop callers to the raise, you were pushing 90% of flops anyway
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Strangely enough the commentators had a point. Standard play is to raise more for every limper. 3x is very small in that context. With that many limpers 10x wouldn't be excessive. Its a difficult hand to play against a lot of opponents.

Comment

Working...
                                  X