Dealing with beats and downswings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with beats and downswings

I'm new to online poker and in the middle of September I opened my first account. I'd no money so the only option was 888poker as they start you off with $2 and a few tournament tickets.

I played 10c and 40c SNGs and a few free rolls and got the balance up a bit but lost it all when I played $1 SNGs.

My Uncle has played poker for years and he opened an account on 888 and deposited a $10. With the bonuses available that meant a bankroll of $22, and he told me to play 10c and 40c SNGs and whatever free rolls I could. His advice was "play tight and bet your big hands hard." He said that the micro-stakes are full of idiots who'll happily pay me off. And that I wasn't to move up until I had 40 buy-ins.

At the end of October the balance was just just over $60 and I was 200 games in and feeling pretty pleased with myself. Since then it's been very up and down. I got it up to $68 the other day but am back down to $53 today just 40 games later.. So what seems to have happened in the past few weeks is that my big hands don't win as often. I folded KK the other day to a bet that would have had me all-in on a 768A9 board figuring he had an ace, a set, a pair of 10s or he flopped a straight. When he showed 10-3 I flipped. OK, I let him get there by checking behind on the turn, and I know that guys like him are where the money is in the long term, but my reaction is the issue. (WHY THE F*** IS HE CALLING A 3BB BET FROM THE SB WITH S*** LIKE THAT? etc.)

My problem isn't that the other guys might be idiots who suck out on me (I've had my fair share of luck). I don't know how to handle the beats. I start to steam. My uncle has the same problem, and he said that's why he doesn't play online any more. He told me to stop playing when I freak out as I'll make stupid decisions, so I've done that.

Now I'm less than 500 games in, and I know that the sample is very small, and the downswings can go on for months (I'm only talking about a few days), but if I can't handle it now, how the hell will I handle a 3 or 6 month slide in the future? So if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get over the bad beats and downswings, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wallace; 20-11-15, 12:21.

There are plenty of resources on the mental aspects of poker out there, such as "The Mental Game of Poker," by Tendler etc., if you google.

Rationally, you should not expect all your big hands to hold up. You do not even want all your big hands to hold up, as this means your opponents are not calling frequently enough with the worst of it ...

Comment

Thanks Colm. That's interesting advice. And I'll check out that book. Cheers.

Comment

Dealing with the emotional rollercoaster that is poker is probably the most valuable skill needed to be successful. I've seen plenty of players who are top notch when things are going fine, but a few reverses and their game disintegrates. I don't have much practical advice, it took me years to learn not to tilt badly. Just remember that if you let beats affect you you aren't a good poker player.

On a side note your uncle has given you brilliant advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          Dealing with the emotional rollercoaster that is poker is probably the most valuable skill needed to be successful. I've seen plenty of players who are top notch when things are going fine, but a few reverses and their game disintegrates. I don't have much practical advice, it took me years to learn not to tilt badly. Just remember that if you let beats affect you you aren't a good poker player.

On a side note your uncle has given you brilliant advice.
          Take hectorjellys advice, he was crushing 25/50c online cash so hard that he had to move back to 9-5 job!

Comment

Originally posted by IPBYOUSAY View Post
            Take hectorjellys advice, he was crushing 25/50c online cash so hard that he had to move back to 9-5 job!
            Wow!
            Remind me, who the fuck are you?
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Read This

Read this book. The Chimp Paradox

Jared Tendler is good too and very specific to poker. I think you can get his first book in audio format for free but don't hold me to that. He also has a pretty good podcast. The Mental Game of Poker.

Look up Elliot Roe also. He has some free audio stuff you can download to help you with your pre-game preparation, tilt control and some post-session cool down ideas.

Try to keep it simple and rational as Colm said.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Wow!
                Remind me, who the fuck are you?
                Wow 16k posts, throw some water on you're face and go out for a stroll!

Comment

Wow 16k posts, throw some water on you're face and go out for a stroll!
                  Its your, you illiterate fool.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Its your, you illiterate fool.
                    *It's
                    lol

Comment

Shots fired!

Comment

Move up levels, be grand.

Comment

They don't make trolls like they used to.

Comment

Nasty little bitch arent you

Comment

This whole thing reads like a post from over 10 years ago.

Anyway, best advice is to take a wank when you feel really stressed.

Comment

Sure have an auld wank every time you get a bad beat, then you won't mind the 1 outer on the river so much.

#mdougtips
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

You have to become detached from hands, not in love with them. Without doubt you will run worse than you have now and people will do things they shouldn't do, but you should be happy about this. In the long term that is what makes you easier money. My only other advice is to move up levels

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

About this "advice" to move up levels. It's obviously a joke, but I don't get it. Anyone care to explain?

Comment

A lot of players think incorrectly that the game is easier the higher you move up, so a joke response to many theory threads used to be move up where they respect your raises. Its an old joke

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                        They don't make trolls like they used to.
                                        Hi

Comment

Long runs and yoga worked for me

Would highly recommend

Best of luck

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
                                          I'm new to online poker and in the middle of September I opened my first account. I'd no money so the only option was 888poker as they start you off with $2 and a few tournament tickets.

I played 10c and 40c SNGs and a few free rolls and got the balance up a bit but lost it all when I played $1 SNGs.

My Uncle has played poker for years and he opened an account on 888 and deposited a $10. With the bonuses available that meant a bankroll of $22, and he told me to play 10c and 40c SNGs and whatever free rolls I could. His advice was "play tight and bet your big hands hard." He said that the micro-stakes are full of idiots who'll happily pay me off. And that I wasn't to move up until I had 40 buy-ins.

At the end of October the balance was just just over $60 and I was 200 games in and feeling pretty pleased with myself. Since then it's been very up and down. I got it up to $68 the other day but am back down to $53 today just 40 games later.. So what seems to have happened in the past few weeks is that my big hands don't win as often. I folded KK the other day to a bet that would have had me all-in on a 768A9 board figuring he had an ace, a set, a pair of 10s or he flopped a straight. When he showed 10-3 I flipped. OK, I let him get there by checking behind on the turn, and I know that guys like him are where the money is in the long term, but my reaction is the issue. (WHY THE F*** IS HE CALLING A 3BB BET FROM THE SB WITH S*** LIKE THAT? etc.)

My problem isn't that the other guys might be idiots who suck out on me (I've had my fair share of luck). I don't know how to handle the beats. I start to steam. My uncle has the same problem, and he said that's why he doesn't play online any more. He told me to stop playing when I freak out as I'll make stupid decisions, so I've done that.

Now I'm less than 500 games in, and I know that the sample is very small, and the downswings can go on for months (I'm only talking about a few days), but if I can't handle it now, how the hell will I handle a 3 or 6 month slide in the future? So if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get over the bad beats and downswings, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X