This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Yes, and when teams lose quarter finals after that sort of schedule it becomes conventional wisdom that they were undercooked from the groups, and that tough games give you an edge. Honestly not going to convince me it was anything other than a dream schedule for Ireland, but opinions etc.
    I think the physical toll nowadays that games like last week take out of you mean it's going to be almost impossible to replicate that intensity within a week.

I think Wales, Australia, Ireland and France were clear examples of that this weekend.
    In a vacuum imo (i.e. with a full team to choose from and without a war the previous week):

Wales beat SA
    NZ beat France by 20 (not 50)
    Argentina and us is a tossup
    Aus hammer Scotland

4 games - 4 exhausted teams vs 4 comparitively fresh ones.

Rugby is more like boxing these days in terms of physical punishment - boxers take months to recover from a title fight.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Last couple of years, no as the entire wine buy for the year is done in Frannce.

It is a great little shop although I certainly wouldn't call it cheap. You public servants on your inflated salaries have no concept of value.
      Point proven in black and white in that link!. Not in an absolute sense but cheap for decent stuff.

Comment

I think the physical toll nowadays that games like last week take out of you mean it's going to be almost impossible to replicate that intensity within a week.

I think Wales, Australia, Ireland and France were clear examples of that this weekend.
        In a vacuum imo (i.e. with a full team to choose from and without a war the previous week):

Wales beat SA
        NZ beat France by 20 (not 50)
        Argentina and us is a tossup
        Aus hammer Scotland

4 games - 4 exhausted teams vs 4 comparitively fresh ones.

Rugby is more like boxing these days in terms of physical punishment - boxers take months to recover from a title fight.
        Unless you have played rugby at a decent level hard to understand the punishment you take.
        Most of the irish players were probably unable to do anything for 2 3 days after French game.
        Getting hit by 18 stone men at full speed muscles ligaments and joints simply dont recover from damage inflicted.
        As Raoul said the Argies changed 10 from Namibia a game in which they ran everything and had no major injuries.
        New zealand were fresh and will be next week against south africa who they should batter.

Comment

Finally getting around to True Detective 2 and liking it. Not sure where the hatred comes from although I am only 3 eps in.

Comment

Finally getting around to True Detective 2 and liking it. Not sure where the hatred comes from although I am only 3 eps in.
            The hatred will come

Comment

I had a dream last night. Having dreams is gay.
              Ergo, I am gay.
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Just think if Ireland hadn't been knocked out we would have been deprived of this Hard hitting piece of journalism from Joe.ie about aidan o shea replying to a sonny bill Williams tweet.is this about par for the course for them? Don't read it this just popped up on my FB feed,Jesus wept

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                  Just think if Ireland hadn't been knocked out we would have been deprived of this Hard hitting piece of journalism from Joe.ie about aidan o shea replying to a sonny bill Williams tweet.is this about par for the course for them? Don't read it this just popped up on my FB feed,Jesus wept

http://www.joe.ie/sport/tweet-gaa-st...sh-fans/516154
                  Yeah, sure it did.

Sure don't you know pro rugby players have just been waiting for some amateur lads from Mayo to recognise them, lad.

Comment

Japan the only NH team to beat a team from the Rugby Championship at the WC.

Great titbit.

Comment

Lol thugby

Comment

irish open buy in

Dunno if it's been discussed, but what's the feeling about the IO's reduced buy in of €1150?

seems to 'cheapen' it a bit for me....

Comment

Caught The Program on Friday pretty decent watch but the documentary The Armstrong Lie is just so superior.

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnLike us on FACEBOOK: http://goo.gl/dHs73Follow us on TWITTER: http:/...
                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

If you don't hate it now you'll love the rest. I thought it was very good, but was seriously considering giving it up half way through Ep 4.
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

http://www.joe.ie/sport/tweet-gaa-st...sh-fans/516154
                              Post more Joe.ie stuff there. Zuutroy loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                Dunno if it's been discussed, but what's the feeling about the IO's reduced buy in of €1150?

seems to 'cheapen' it a bit for me....
                                Not sure if the IO will ever get back to the heights of the buzz when poker was just booming in Ireland as witnessed by the dropping of the buy in over the years coupled with the drop off in players. PPP were done with the IO I'd imagine two years ago but possibly out of contractual obligations had to keep it going on and just didn't want to put a full on effort into it. From speaking with JP briefly about it he wants to see it grow and hopes to have it going strong in 3 years, obviously taking it in a different avenue as a sole promoter I personally wish him all the best with it. Multi re entry is probably a bit too much for it the amount of people who would possibly put 4 bullets into it would be very small, up the buyin or make it a single re entry.

Comment

Fargo S02E01 delivered.

Looks like it is going to be a rewrite of S01 set in 1979 and featuring loads of sharp dialogue delivered in cute midwest accents, high body count all framed around scenes cut and pasted from the Coens back catalogue.

Perfect formula IMO
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This sums it up, no spoilers.

No copyright infringement intended. Just a fan. Plus, it was Matt's idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Fargo S02E01 delivered.

Looks like it is going to be a rewrite of S01 set in 1979 and featuring loads of sharp dialogue delivered in cute midwest accents, high body count all framed around scenes cut and pasted from the Coens back catalogue.

Perfect formula IMO
                                      Downloaded that a few days ago and had forgot about it. Will stick it on now, ty.

Comment

Fargo S02E01 delivered.

Perfect formula IMO
                                        Midwest ? Is the series based off the Fargo in Minnisota? (Like da movie )

Comment

Dafuq happened on that Aer Lingus flight. Guy reportedly biting people then he's dead??

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                            Dafuq happened on that Aer Lingus flight. Guy reportedly biting people then he's dead??
                                            Walking dead innit m8

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                              Midwest ? Is the series based off the Fargo in Minnisota? (Like da movie )
                                              Yea. Thats midwest isn't it?

Edit:
                                              OK
                                              I think I misunderstood you

ITs a very loosely based spin off from the movie,the Coens have an Exec producer credit and the whole series is kind of composed of scenes that are pastiche of scenes from their films.

Series 1 was great, Billy Bob Thornton played the baddest bad guy
                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-10-15, 21:36.

Comment

Fuck sake, brought 3 tickets for something on ticketmaster yest. 57 a pop. Only noticed today they tacked on a 5.95 service charge for each ticket #cunts

Comment

Murica- 6 year old shoots 3 year old brother with gun stored in fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                    If you don't hate it now you'll love the rest. I thought it was very good, but was seriously considering giving it up half way through Ep 4.
                                                    I watched 7 and a bit episodes and just couldn't be bothered watching the rest. Vince Vaughn is one of the worst actors I have ever seen, and the whole thing was just lousy imo. I make RDIII a flip to complete it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      I watched 7 and a bit episodes and just couldn't be bothered watching the rest. Vince Vaughn is one of the worst actors I have ever seen, and the whole thing was just lousy imo. I make RDIII a flip to complete it.
                                                      Major true detective 2 spoiler
                                                      SPOILER
                                                      i was hoping that was actual footage of the real vince Vaughan dropping dead in the desert at the end

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                        Thoughts on Dave Kearney?
                                                        He was absolutely disgusting for the first two Argentina tries. Those basically cost us the game.

Comment

Also we need to have a serious think about Jamie Heaslip as future captain. This was his time to stand up and be counted and during his captaincy the whole team shat their pants in incredibly pathetic fashion. We looked like we had absolutely no leaders out there on the pitch(Honourable mention to Rory Best too).
                                                          Last edited by Teddie; 18-10-15, 21:58.

Comment

'Curry and Chips', a blacked up Spike Milligan, playing an Irish Pakistani in England. Not surprised it only had one season

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"though it again attempted to raise important questions, [it] lacked a strong enough voice to challenge the racist attitudes of its characters, and too much of its humour relied on the use of crude racial abuse and Milligan's caricatured performance as the charmlessly-nicknamed 'Paki Paddy'. The shocked reaction from some viewers and cultural commentators led to the show being dropped by ITV after just six episodes, and in retrospect it's hard to understand how Speight and LWT can have failed to anticipate the offence it caused."
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yea. Thats midwest isn't it?

Edit:
                                                              OK
                                                              I think I misunderstood you

ITs a very loosely based spin off from the movie,the Coens have an Exec producer credit and the whole series is kind of composed of scenes that are pastiche of scenes from their films.

Series 1 was great, Billy Bob Thornton played the baddest bad guy
                                                              Need a new series so will give it a spin . I though Minnesota was more northmidlands but sure the important part is if its any good . I loved The movie and the C boys so cool.

Comment

Sounds like a form of Epilepsy. A guy in Drimnagh used to bite himself when taking a seizure , pretty scary to look at .

Comment

Not sure if any here watch it but Jaysus this banker in Clean Break is a pure nutter of a character. Happy enough with that episode. Was getting a bit boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                    He was absolutely disgusting for the first two Argentina tries. Those basically cost us the game.
                                                                    Particularly the first try. If Keith Earls had made that error....

Comment

Meh. He was miscast. It actually takes a really good actor to play such an emotionless character. Requires lots of subtle facial expressions to make a ruthless pragmatist be also not a robot.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Reverse werewolf.

Comment

'making a semi' - what the fuck does that mean anyway in a sport with maybe 6/7 serious teams?

make a final, that means something imo
                                                                          Reminds me of the pants wetting about Ireland beating three teams in one comp and declaring it a title.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Do tesco mobile lock their payg phones to their network?
                                                                          I'm not sure, but I am of the belief they lock to the first sim inserted and switched on.

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

If my young lad asks me about anything sexual (gay / straight) that I feel he is too young for all my parenting skills kick in and I change the subject, point at something shiny and give him some chocolate.
                                                                          Sounds like he will be conditioned to associate chocolate/pleasantness with racey concepts. Which sounds lovely.

As an aside, I hope this doesn't lead to a situation down the line. Whereby if he happens to be a homosexual (or simply celebate), it will be easy to spot. He won't say a single word about it, or anything of the sort. Though his room will be absolutely overflowing with cadburys.

Comment

flight from lisbon, Id say a bust drug run literally,
                                                                            Condom filled with coke burst in stomach, pure hysteria then death

Comment

good result from the lads today reaching the last 8 of ten teams in the world

Comment

Went out for food around 5pm thursday and got home an hour or so ago.
                                                                                Left me nice cheese out on the table by mistake and none of my 5 housemates put it into a fridge, people are cunts I'm telling ya! Live with Polish and Argentinians... lack of respect for cheese and sports results makes me wanna murder em all now. Someone from Bosnia better not fucking move in now!
                                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

What's the follow-on plan from Duolingo for anyone using it? I'm allegedly 41% fluent in French now but feeling much more like '41% fluent in answering Duolingo quizzes'.

Does it all come together later on with the app?

Comment

Five episodes down. Will almost certainly finish it although I completely get the Vaughan hatred.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                      Also we need to have a serious think about Jamie Heaslip as future captain. This was his time to stand up and be counted and during his captaincy the whole team shat their pants in incredibly pathetic fashion. We looked like we had absolutely no leaders out there on the pitch(Honourable mention to Rory Best too).
                                                                                      Funny, wasn't he the captain in the second half against France when we played out of our skins (much better than the first half with the legendary PO'C as captain)?

Looking to blame the players is just childish imo - they were dead on their feet. Horrible soccer reaction to immediately slag off a bunch of brave players who have consistently overachieved. Amazed you weren't calling for Schmidt to be sacked too.

Comment

Funny, wasn't he the captain in the second half against France when we played out of our skins (much better than the first half with the legendary PO'C as captain)?

Looking to blame the players is just childish imo - they were dead on their feet. Horrible soccer reaction to immediately slag off a bunch of brave players who have consistently overachieved. Amazed you weren't calling for Schmidt to be sacked too.
                                                                                        But as captain its his job to tell the team not to shit their pants. He obviously forgot to do this before the match so needs to take the blame

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

How do you put these links up properly? ?

Comment

What's the follow-on plan from Duolingo for anyone using it? I'm allegedly 41% fluent in French now but feeling much more like '41% fluent in answering Duolingo quizzes'.

You have to get lessons really. Or else if you cheap out people meet up to practice english and you practice french with them. Duolingo is just basic proficiency you need to go talk to somebody.
                                                                                              Point proven in black and white in that link!. Not in an absolute sense but cheap for decent stuff.
                                                                                              I get my wine from here: http://www.vinatis.com
                                                                                              Don't really buy expensive stuff so you'll have to tell me how it is.
                                                                                              We got 46 bottles on last order, was damn cheap. Get to try a lot of stuff with that site, often big discounts for buying a few bottles or there are damaged labels etc and you can get great deals on that clearance kinda stuff.

Comment

Are any of those language all free or availible for rials. A few words of porteguese might be handy.

Comment

wut?

Now that you netion it, kinda, there are lots of language packages that would be a big step up form duo lingo, (you can torrent them if you want them free). I recommend michel thomas
                                                                                                  The highly acclaimed Michel Thomas Method audio language courses let you learn a new language naturally – just as you learned your own

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                    Are any of those language all free or availible for rials. A few words of porteguese might be handy.
                                                                                                    Duolingo is free.

Comment

I am a huge fan of Heaslip and defend him when people give out about him not doing anything when he has been takling and at the bottom of rucks all game - yesterday he physically stepped up and really carried a lot more ball.

There is more to being captain than physically stepping up tho but it is a big part and the team were slow getting out of the blocks. We had this problem when he captained Ireland before and Leinster had this problem since Sexton and Drico left.

He was captain when Poc got injured but raw emotion carried the day in that instant. I wouldn't blame him specifically for the failure and point taking on us being exhausted but I dont think he is really a good captain

Second point is that our players have consistently over achieved. We have not achieved what we have set out to do in any world cup since its formation. Aside from that in the 6 nations we have not over achieved - that's Wales but pretty much got what we deserved over the last 10 years if not a few less crowns than we could have.

We have had some really world class players backed up by guys of international quality. This is on the back of excellent development of the provinces and the academy setup that we had the for sight to go with all those years ago. That considered along with how settled our team has been, the fact that most of our player come from 3 teams and they are released at will for training camps etc.

Fatigue was indeed a problem but really it was just the way we played and really the northern hemisphere play.

You mentioned yesterday that the schedule was terrible for us - we were all delighted about the schedule before the world cup so that is an excuse. You also said that if the Aussies were better rested that they would have walked over Scotland and if we were better rested we would have beaten Argentina. Both of these are pretty disrespectful to 2 teams who simply play a more evolved form of rugby to us. Scotland played Samoa and ran at them like pacific Islanders and won.They are tactically and skill levels wise ahead of us now.

The short of it is that Schmidt should accept some criticism for the failure. He know how to use a dancing back line and won a Heineken cup doing it. We trained this way and so performed this way. I would say that he is definitely going to improve from this world cup and in 4 years time we will have the right balance. We have to be ready to lose a 6 nations or 2 as we learn to play the right way and stick it out with Schmidt.

Comment

Go onto the duolingo website and to the immersion section, plenty there to keep you going.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                          Duolingo is free.
                                                                                                          Gracias beaucoup my chara

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I get my wine from here: http://www.vinatis.com
                                                                                                            Don't really buy expensive stuff so you'll have to tell me how it is.
                                                                                                            We got 46 bottles on last order, was damn cheap. Get to try a lot of stuff with that site, often big discounts for buying a few bottles or there are damaged labels etc and you can get great deals on that clearance kinda stuff.
                                                                                                            That's a class site Tar. <1 euro a bottle delivery and French pricing!

Comment

Yeah it's pretty damn sweet, got some random 2011 french chateau blah blah wine at 5e a pop (half price for ordering 6 of them) and it was one of the nicest I've had. Great way to try a variety for cheap. Good for ordering some whiskey too.

There's some difference getting a 5e bottle from there and form tesco

Comment

That's a class site Tar. <1 euro a bottle delivery and French pricing!
                                                                                                                Nearly looks too good to be true. No need to bother lumping back wine from France ever again.

Comment

Nearly looks too good to be true. No need to bother lumping back wine from France ever again.
                                                                                                                  We've gotten hundreds of bottle from there in the last few years and it's all gone swimmingly. I imagine it's meant to be hit by customs but I've never heard a peep.
                                                                                                                  You guys owe me one

Comment

Is the excise duty being paid on wine bought off that site?

Comment

Is the excise duty being paid on wine bought off that site?
                                                                                                                      "N 1879: “The necessary arrangements for payment of the excise duty and VAT (at the standard rate) in the State must be made by the trader who sells and delivers the products. These arrangements include registration for VAT in the State.”"

So the answer is likely no and I don't have to care. A bottle of wine there for 5e can be 15-20+ in o'briens, that's all I know!
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-10-15, 11:10.

Comment

I looked up what happened to somebody that had their delivery seized and contacted vinatis:

"Just a quick update on my wine delivery. Shortly after last posting I received a registered letter from Customs. Short and sweet, one-liner, saying that they had seized my wine from Dublin Airport and quoting the relevant legislation,end of letter!
                                                                                                                        I then wrote to the suppliers and received a very prompt reply, apologising for the mix up, saying there had been some miscommunication with the courier company and they were sending a fresh delivery to me with a different courier, the email concluded by saying '' I am sorry for the delay, you should receive your order shortly and you will not have to pay any excise duties or taxes. We sincerely apologies for this confusion.''
                                                                                                                        Also saw this, they may be lying(have to be) but this is their line:

"Our prices on the website includes all taxes, the only thing which you will have extra costs for are the delivery costs."
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-10-15, 11:06.

Comment

Yes,yes,yes,yes,YES! Great article, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had to endure tortured sporting allegories at work. Fergusons book sounds like a real stinker

Much of this World Cup has revolved around talk of leadership, to the extent that otherwise grown-up sensible people talk about rugby lessons translating to ‘life’ itself, as if the unique qualities of someone like Paul O’Connell can be learned and applied to everything.
                                                                                                                          So everyone repeat – I’m not Paul O’Connell. And rugby is just rugby.
                                                                                                                          Keep repeating until leading yourself away from the dangers of such hysterical flannel: you’re not going to get that promotion even if you do stare, tear and swear with a Limerick accent. And that’s a life lesson, not a rugby one.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X