Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator hostel do a fantastic burger. Top 5 in Dublin at least, possibly just behind Bunsen. Wowburger next
    airport, lol

Comment

Sunday lunch will be burgers it seems, ill get a later train down.

Top 3 joints ?
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
        Generator hostel do a fantastic burger. Top 5 in Dublin at least, possibly just behind Bunsen. Wowburger next
        Soma in Liffey valley do an unbelievably good burger too.
        Like ridiculously good.
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Lazare, how long have you been a member of the liberal elite?
          Ha! Got a good lol out of that one.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Loads of lovely burger spots in Dublin now. I almost wish I had never tried Bunsen because now anywhere else is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
              Loads of lovely burger spots in Dublin now. I almost wish I had never tried Bunsen because now anywhere else is a waste of time.
              I thought Bunsen was good but not great, about the same or a bit lower quality than 5 Guys and both miles ahead of Empty Pockets which are no better than a fresh McDonalds tbh.
              Never had a burger out that was within a donkeys roar of a good homemade one.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                I thought Bunsen was good but not great, about the same or a bit lower quality than 5 Guys and both miles ahead of Empty Pockets which are no better than a fresh McDonalds tbh.
                I'd say give Bunsen another go some time. I thought the same as you the first time I had it but tried again lately and thought it was phenomenal.

Comment

I find that very hard to believe.
                  Though I was raised on gramby burgers and bundys buns

Granted you can get some really good stuff from M&S now
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Suprised to hear you say that, you must be an excellent chef if you are better than all these pros that do nothing but make burgers!

pics next time you make one please, or an invite for tasting!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                        Soma in Liffey valley do an unbelievably good burger too.
                        Like ridiculously good.
                        +1 to this spot being quality. Maybe not to the extreme DP is going to but def best in Liffey Valley. Thought the place was new as had never noticed it and complimented the staff and wished them luck. Told me they'd been there 2 years. Ooops!

Burger in the new Hudson Rooms gastropub place there was lovely but prob too big. Tank of a burger. Place is no more a pub than Eddie Rockets tho. Was hoping for a man-creche with footie and pints. Had pints at least. Think it was very pricey on the food too.

Comment

Is a big mac a burger or a sandwich

Comment

So lads, Sligo. Seems a grand auld place to live for a while
                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

The success of Bunsen and Wow is really mostly down to the bun no?

Comment

Has Ireland changed the rule about cooking burgers through? If not, then you're all wrong and there are no good burgers in Dublin!

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                  +1 to this spot being quality. Maybe not to the extreme DP is going to but def best in Liffey Valley. Thought the place was new as had never noticed it and complimented the staff and wished them luck. Told me they'd been there 2 years. Ooops!

Burger in the new Hudson Rooms gastropub place there was lovely but prob too big. Tank of a burger. Place is no more a pub than Eddie Rockets tho. Was hoping for a man-creche with footie and pints. Had pints at least. Think it was very pricey on the food too.
                                  I think its down to the unexpected quality while surrounded by McD's/BK/ KFC etc
                                  Also, Noah bistro next door gets all their burgers made there and sent through a hatch.
                                  Stay outside and save a few quid

Comment

IrishPokerBurgers >>> IrishPokerBabies

Honourable shout out to Bobó after a feed a pints.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                      Suprised to hear you say that, you must be an excellent chef if you are better than all these pros that do nothing but make burgers!

pics next time you make one please, or an invite for tasting!
                                      Recipe is a bit of a movable feast but is usually more or less this:

all quantities are approximate for two people

500g of good beef mince not too lean, none of your <5% shite
                                      Two medium or one large strong white onions
                                      big handful of rough brown breadcrumbs
                                      1 tbs marigold stock powder (if not use 1 tsp salt)
                                      1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
                                      4 tbs heinz tomato ketchup
                                      a good splash of Worcester sauce and a smaller splash of soy
                                      Loads of black pepper and a few chilli flakes according to taste
                                      1 beaten egg

put half the breadcrumbs aside
                                      liquidise the onions and mix into the beef along with all the dry ingredients, add as much of the egg as you need.
                                      Fry slowly in olive oil

Serve in a fresh white bread bun with lots of good things
                                      Raw onion, raw tomato, bacon, cheese and whatever you are having yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                        The success of Bunsen and Wow is really mostly down to the bun no?
                                        Fucking Brioche. :-/ When I first developed my milk problems I was still able to eat burgers. Not any more!
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                          +1 to this spot being quality. Maybe not to the extreme DP is going to but def best in Liffey Valley.
                                          Is that the place upstairs over the foyer? Eat there a couple of months ago and only remember that it was better than I was expecting it to be. Being best in Liffey Valley is winning a cripplefight.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              +1 hard to imagine eating a 'makes sure it's dead' cooked burger. Although surely these modern places offer a choice in how you want it cooked?
                                              You basically have to argue with them to get a juicy burger.
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

+1 hard to imagine eating a 'makes sure it's dead' cooked burger. Although surely these modern places offer a choice in how you want it cooked?
                                                By law they can't

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                  By law they can't
                                                  not the case anymore.

For me a burger should be cooked through but each to their own.

Had a Wow burger recently and it was cooked medium. Pinkish in the middle but no decent crust so was disappointing.

Comment

A proper med rare burger is accomplished through the wonder of sous vide. Then seared hot and fast on a pan.

edit to add, i have no problem eating raw minced meat, some people go on about pathogens.
                                                    Last edited by oleras; 17-01-17, 17:12.
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Family think my burgers are the best.
                                                      Butcher grinds out 10 x 1/2lb bags of topside beef which I use/freeze till required at a time.
                                                      I then mix meat with stuffing I get from same butcher (basically breadcrumbs, onions and a few herbs)
                                                      Bind with a bit of beaten egg
                                                      Can add in 'extras' such as chilli, garlic or whatever you fancy if you wish

Roll up into a ball and slap down on a sheet of cling film, place another sheet of cling film on top and press to wahtever thickness you desire with a placemat
                                                      place a bowl over almost finished burger and make circular movements to round it off

As its good quality meat it can be then cooked as rare or well done (never) as you like. I like to sear in a pan first to get good colour then finish in oven ( often with a slice of mature cheddar melted on top)

Comment

That's it. Going chipper.

Comment

Depends on the places, but I've been asked a good few times how I'd like my burger cooked in Ireland.

Comment

Disgustingly greasy gorgeous mess.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                              Depends on the places, but I've been asked a good few times how I'd like my burger cooked in Ireland.
                                                              Hope you replied "by the chef m8"

Comment

Loads of places ask how you want it cooked these days, but often enough I think medium rare (possibly medium) is the lowest they go.

Honestly the thought of a rare burger with the bun disintegrating and juices oozing down my arm is not all that appealing.

Comment

Offer in and bid accepted on a house!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    Someone ran well in Vegas

Comment

You still have to move to Clondalkin? Why there? If it's just cost would you not move a little further out to a nicer area and bigger house for the same money probably?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                        Loads of places ask how you want it cooked these days, but often enough I think medium rare (possibly medium) is the lowest they go.

Honestly the thought of a rare burger with the bun disintegrating and juices oozing down my arm is not all that appealing.
                                                                        Yeah made that mistake once and never will again, it's all too mushy and unpleasant. Bun and burger need different consistencies.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

You still have to move to Clondalkin? Why there? If it's just cost would you not move a little further out to a nicer area and bigger house for the same money probably?
                                                                          We're actually buying closer in. Commuting is the devil.

Comment

BurgerWanker population appears alarmingly high.

Let me just say if it ain't Wagyu beef, beer-fed and massaged by virgins twice daily...I wouldn't feed it to the dog.
                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lazare gave me a craving. Got the M50 too. Didn't disappoint

Comment

Ya, I really dislike long commutes too, but quite likely to do something quite counter intuitive in the near future myself for the following reasons:

1. More space, and outside space too.
                                                                                2. Nicer area to live in.
                                                                                3. Cheaper and bigger than anything in an area I'd like to live in Dublin.
                                                                                4. Better place to bring up a kid most likely

The only drawback is a biggie though, a longer commute into Dublin. Living somewhere near a trainline that has regular services to Connolly and onwards is a must.

Comment

Ya, I really dislike long commutes too, but quite likely to do something quite counter intuitive in the near future myself for the following reasons:

The only drawback is a biggie though, a longer commute into Dublin. Living somewhere near a trainline that has regular services to Connolly and onwards is a must.
                                                                                  Welcome to Bray m8

Comment

You can't remove the country lad at heart Dom. We're doing the same. I hope the self drive cars don't take too long to arrive on the market!!
                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

welcome to Ballyer

Comment

Speaking of buying, had to ring the estate agent to double check this wasnt 100k off

mental price

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

I'm. Supposed to be on a diet

Cunts!

Ffs I ended up driving to Newbridge from All the burger talk lol.

Your camera is shit dobby
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Fuck off satnav

#NoFilter m8

Comment

When i read it first, i automatically thought the bid was for this!

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                I'm. Supposed to be on a diet

Cunts!

Ffs I ended up driving to Newbridge from All the burger talk lol.

Your camera is shit dobby
                                                                                                Wp m8s

ANFD
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Daft Punk's Homework was released 20 years ago today.

Feel as old as SP right now.

Comment

Your burger looks like an angry pink crab.

Comment

Speaking of buying, had to ring the estate agent to double check this wasnt 100k off

mental price
                                                                                                      I assume you mean 100k too high?

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                          Welcome to Bray m8
                                                                                                          Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                          You can't remove the country lad at heart Dom. We're doing the same. I hope the self drive cars don't take too long to arrive on the market!!
                                                                                                          Probably north of the city, something like Laytown or thereabouts. Either that or else west of Maynooth. Paying 400k even for a house,whether i can afford it or not, is not what I want to do.

Comment

Inspired by bbv went to Bunsen on way home. Cheeseburger medium with no pickle, was tremendous

Comment

I assume you mean 100k too high?
                                                                                                              He definitely means 100k too high!
                                                                                                              100%
                                                                                                              I live close enough and was semi interested but that price is insane

Comment

Probably north of the city, something like Laytown or thereabouts. Either that or else west of Maynooth. Paying 500k+ even for a house,whether i can afford it or not, is not what I want to do.
                                                                                                                Is what I'm doing. It makes sense to me but lots of folk probably think we're mad.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

100%
                                                                                                                  I live close enough and was semi interested but that price is insane
                                                                                                                  You can ask whatever you like and lots of houses in the market aren't really for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                    Is what I'm doing. It makes sense to me but lots of folk probably think we're mad.
                                                                                                                    For that budget you'd get a mansion out there, best of luck to you.

Comment

mental price
                                                                                                                      Fack.

Is that considered a good area? Don't know Dublin at all really.

Comment

Now look what you started

so much for last sundays leftover stew

Comment

For that budget you'd get a mansion out there, best of luck to you.
                                                                                                                          Yeah it gets you plenty. The issue is planning though. At the lower budget levels you don't get as much value as any house/cottage in the countryside of kildare or Wicklow has an intrinsic value as a site which can be changed for non natives who would struggle to build what they like. The price dynamic is very interesting. Also the building costs from new are phenomenal so that's an underpin on price too. Good luck with the search Dom and more importantly with juniors arrival.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X