This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
    could someone recommend a decent brand of footwear , dont care how much ( not too old fashioned please ) I am standing 9 hours a day now that I am back to work. Back, arse, feet in bits . so tired and reckon my footwear is deffo the problem.
    Girlfriends sister swears by Skechers. She stands all day at her job too.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
      Gaa championship draw on RTE 2.
      Kerry Cork Munster final again.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        Sleep paralysis is where it's at,went through a spell of it a while back waking up pinned to the bed can't move and the feeling of an ominous presence coming for you just out of sight. Terrifying while happening then you wake up going that was a rush. Apparently leaves some people in bits
        I suffered from this years ago. I really thought I was being hopped on by a demon (or a priest). Your body is still asleep so you feel like their is physical pressure on you and your mind is still ready to conjure whatever the fk it reads of the situation. Anyway I read up on it , and when I found out what it was I was able to confront it Just concentrate on moving the little toe and the feeling lifts more quickly. Still get it the odd time , usually when I'm completely knackered. It doesn't bother me now, however the old lady laughing at me outside the post office continues.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          seriously lads, we watching that ?

Comment

Nah, Kerry in Leinster now

Comment

Girlfriends sister swears by Skechers. She stands all day at her job too.
              A friend also recommended them and a new shop opened in newbridge . will check them out, ty
              Her sky-ness
              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                Nah, Kerry in Leinster now
                In the shtick game yeah.

That Leinster football draw looks like a complete nightmare to put together.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  HA!

PSA sacked apparently... Mid World Cup.

That French flair!

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/report...ampaign=Buffer
                  phff
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We test drove Tesla's Model S Level 2 autonomous system, known as Autopilot. It was super weird and super fun.Check out the full review: http://jalopnik.com/...
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

HA!

PSA sacked apparently... Mid World Cup.

That French flair!

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/report...ampaign=Buffer
                      Nearly worked last time.

I can see shrap bounding into work tomorrow, looking down his nose at his boss with suitably Gallic disdain and informing him that he's sacked. He will then proceed to treble the annual profits before lunchtime before retiring for a six course lunch and an afternoon with his mistress.

Allez les Bleus!
                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

many from here playing in the IPO next week? Havnt seen the majority for the guts of 4 years+. Would be good for a catch up

Comment

Sulky racing on RTE2, what a culture.

Comment

Some of you on here may have an interest in a brochure I spotted on the bus.
                            http://narcissisticbehavior.net/

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                              Sulky racing on RTE2, what a culture.
                              Relative to poker it looks quite civilized

Comment

Nice to see Brent Pope keeping busy with RTE not having the rugby.

Comment

So I'm really hopping aboard the rugby bandwagon, problem is, I really struggle to understand more than the bare basics. I'm glued to radio commentary, I understand pretty much none of it but love it nonetheless. Maybe it's the hype. That Off The Ball 3 arena thing last night was pure entertainment.

Feel real hungry to know more than I do, thought this vid was good. New Zealand production, lots of All Blacks stuff, interviews with refs and ex AB players.

One comfort I got from it was realising that other than refs hardly anybody fully knows the rules. Good watch.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Awaiting the inevitable there are no rules in rugby.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

AHS are spoiling me with 70 min episodes.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        So I'm really hopping aboard the rugby bandwagon, problem is, I really struggle to understand more than the bare basics. I'm glued to radio commentary, I understand pretty much none of it but love it nonetheless. Maybe it's the hype. That Off The Ball 3 arena thing last night was pure entertainment.

Feel real hungry to know more than I do, thought this vid was good. New Zealand production, lots of All Blacks stuff, interviews with refs and ex AB players.

One comfort I got from it was realising that other than refs hardly anybody fully knows the rules. Good watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0Dbwl8aiUo
                                        You should try to go to a few games at club/provincial level. Being there at a decent game with well matched teams can really suck you in.
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Paddy Cosgrove came across pretty poorly on his whingefest on the radio today

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                            You should try to go to a few games at club/provincial level. Being there at a decent game with well matched teams can really suck you in.
                                            That's the message at the end of that vid too.

I think I'd like to do that.
                                            I need to learn a lot more to really enjoy what's going on though, and to follow conversation and comment.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                              Should you not be throwing your coach out of the dressing room around now in true French fashion and jsut doing what you want instead of playing to a game plan. There has been a serious lack of Frenchness going around your team.
                                              With Saint Andre being fired this can only mean that I bbv'd his career and the power is now growing from just sporting results into all areas or Pape is a huge ip fan and knows that I called him a baby who can't take a punch.

pretty disturbing turn of events anyway. All blacks will not be too happy to be playing wild card France I imagine.

Comment

I need to learn a lot more to really enjoy what's going on though, and to follow conversation and comment.
                                                Rugby for Dummies pdf/books out there

also youtube should have some basics.

Comment

Not nearly as much as you think. Plenty of regular season ticket holders at Leinster games barely know the players let alone the rules. Go along with someone who knows the game and they'll talk you through. I'm sure I'll pick up some free tickets for Leinster in a pro 12 game this season and I'll give you a shout when I do and we can head along to a game.

PS I've just ordered my 6ns home game tickets and put my name in the hat for Eng v Irl. Could be a big 6Ns for Ireland.
                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Bollix to that!

You're a bandwagon jumper, accept who you are!

1. Learn a few players names
                                                    2. Shout them at the telly loudly
                                                    3. Get a bit moaney the second it goes slightly wrong!
                                                    4. "Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"
                                                    5. "The thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in"

Comment

I will title this ''Where is your fucking pride''

The lads who pretend to know about rugby won't even get that reference. Get into the Rugby m8, it is deadly. I prefer football but grew up in a rugby household. My Da played for Leinster and a presidential XV cap for Ireland. As good as football gets only Rugby comes close. We might end up champs, get into it!

Embrace it and c'mon Ireland.

Ireland face down the All Blacks in Lansdowne Rd. in 1989

Comment

Just do what everyone in my workplace is doing,listen to off the ball then repeat it verbatim at the lunchtime as if it's your own insight. So many resources out there now for the bandwagoner, theres never been a better time.
                                                        In saying that I still don't have a clue how lineups are awarded,I thought if the ball bounces before going into touch it is awarded to the kickers team but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Also thought lineouts had to be thrown straight down the centre but a good few of them seem to just be passed directly to Teammates

Comment

Also please tell me everyone involved in that " applause for paulie in the 5th minute" crap has seen the light and scrapped it

Comment

In saying that I still don't have a clue how lineups are awarded,I thought if the ball bounces before going into touch it is awarded to the kickers team but that doesn't always seem to be the case. Also thought lineouts had to be thrown straight down the centre but a good few of them seem to just be passed directly to Teammates
                                                            +1

Comment

I know fuck all about rugby and don't have the interest to learn. GAA, Soccer and racing is enough for me. Don't get me wrong, I'll hop on the bandwagon alright but will abandon it as soon as the wheel starts buckling.

Re kicks to touch, don't they always go to opp unless its a penalty? ones that bounce first are taken where they cross the line, if they don't bounce first its back to where it was kicked from (unless he was inside the 21 first). Something like that anyway.

Comment

Just do what everyone in my workplace is doing,listen to off the ball then repeat it verbatim at the lunchtime as if it's your own insight. So many resources out there now for the bandwagoner, theres never been a better time.
                                                                There is a 22m line in each half. If you kick it from inside that it can go straight out (as long as the ball hasnt been passed back inside the 22), if kicked from outside the 22 it must bounce at least once otherwise its brought back to where it was kicked from. In both cases the opposition gets the throw. You only keep the throw if you kick it out from a penalty/ freekick but again the 22m line rule applies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                  many from here playing in the IPO next week? Havnt seen the majority for the guts of 4 years+. Would be good for a catch up
                                                                  Playing Weds so see you Sunday for day 2

Comment

No one has to do a fucking exam on it..just enjoy it ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      levels within levels
                                                                      any nag for the weekend to pay for a new Ireland rugby jersey ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                        There is a 22m line in each half. If you kick it from inside that it can go straight out (as long as the ball hasnt been passed back inside the 22), if kicked from outside the 22 it must bounce at least once otherwise its brought back to where it was kicked from. In both cases the opposition gets the throw. You only keep the throw if you kick it out from a penalty/ freekick but again the 22m line rule applies.
                                                                        On penalties the 22 rules don't apply straight in anywhere on the pitch is fine. Free kicks are rare and in those cases you dont retain the throw in.

The ball cant go straight out off a 22 drop out or a start off or it is a scrum back where you kicked it from with the opposition putting in.
                                                                        Last edited by RichieM; 16-10-15, 09:01. Reason: Cant get a shitty table to work

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          What's wrong with trying to expand your knowledge a little?

It's pretty obvious that enjoyment levels go up the more you understand what's going on.

Had no clue what was going on in a scrum until last night, other than simply gaining yardage. The whole twisting 90 degrees is new knowledge, I will enjoy watching scrums more now.

Comment

It's pretty obvious that enjoyment levels go up the more you understand what's going on.

Had no clue what was going on in a scrum until last night, other than simply gaining yardage. The whole twisting 90 degrees is new knowledge, I will enjoy watching scrums more now.
                                                                            I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

Comment

I totally agree, watching American football was fine for big hit or a nice skillful run but when I finally started to understand what was going on it was much better. Rugby I presume is the same.

Comment

Rugby in 15 seconds.

Rugby (15 men) has fat men at the front, tall men behind them, then powerful beasts after them. Then comes the midget. Then the general. Then the fancy lads with pace.

You try to wrestle the ball off each other, and bring it to the other end of the pitch and put it on the ground.

You can only pass it away from the scoring end.

You can kick it anywhere you want.

The white lines are out, so anything touching them is also out.

The ref is usually the best commentator.

Comment

Rugby in 15 seconds.

Rugby (15 men) has fat men at the front, tall men behind them, then powerful beasts after them. Then comes the midget. Then the general. Then the fancy lads with pace.

You try to wrestle the ball off each other, and bring it to the other end of the pitch and put it on the ground.

You can only pass it away from the scoring end.

You can kick it anywhere you want.

The white lines are out, so anything touching them is also out.

The ref is usually the best commentator.
                                                                                  The bare basics are simple enough, it's the nuances I'm looking to learn, rules of a ruck, rules of a maul, why penalties are awarded etc..

Comment

The bare basics are simple enough, it's the nuances I'm looking to learn, rules of a ruck, rules of a maul, why penalties are awarded etc..
                                                                                    Last one is the important one there then. The referee is usually better to listen to than the commentary.

I'd love the ability (red button or whatever) to just hear their mic the entire time instead of the dingbats.

Comment

I'd guess you would have to have played the game to understand it to the level I'm talking about?

Comment

Strewely just worried we'll all learn the game and then find out he actually knows as little about rugby as he does soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                          I totally agree, watching American football was fine for big hit or a nice skillful run but when I finally started to understand what was going on it was much better. Rugby I presume is the same.
                                                                                          Bit like jazz.

Comment

I'd guess you would have to have played the game to understand it to the level I'm talking about?
                                                                                            Naaah, most nerds that understand the game wouldn't be physically able for it!

Writing about sports, stats & analytics

Comment

Anytime you aren't sure what's going on just start singing Fields of Athenry

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                Bit like jazz.
                                                                                                Loved the film whiplash - still don't get Jazz

Comment

I really wish I was rich enough to buy joe.ie so I could shut it down.

Comment

Naaah, most nerds that understand the game wouldn't be physically able for it!

http://www.andymcgeady.com/
                                                                                                    I used to be able to play and still would if I wasn't to old, weak and slow

Comment

probably not as the game has changed so much (certainly since I played it as a kid anyway)

The one sport I think that rule does apply in is cricket

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        probably not as the game has changed so much (certainly since I played it as a kid anyway)
                                                                                                        A Schools 80s lineout was a thing o beauty

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with trying to expand your knowledge but thats something that just happens when you pay attention to something or spend time watching it.
                                                                                                          I played it for years and never had a clue what was going on

Even if it was important to have played it what I played umpteen years ago was a completely and utterly different game to what is played nowadays.

We were sharing our dreams yesterday, for years after I had to stop playing I used to dream full games and I still occasionally do.
                                                                                                          .

Comment

Not really I think if you watch enough of it you can pick it up. My secondary school coach never actually played the game but was a really good coach. Started in a a rugby school so had to do some after school activity, learnt the game, did his coaching courses.

In terms of rucks and mauls the biggest cause of penalties is coming in from the side. You need to hit either behind the last man on your team anything else and you are offside basically.

In rucks you need to support your own body weight so no diving in.

If you make the tackle you have to let the player go once the ruck is formed and get out of the way.

If you are tackled you have to release the ball when the ruck is formed and cant hold on if other players are trying to pick it up.

That is the theory - the practice is quite different with all players cheating to varying degrees so playing the ref to see what he will let you away with in each of the areas is important.

Mauls are different - They the standing up version of rucks. Once formed by 2 or more players competing for the ball you again must enter behind the last player.

Defenders cannot pull the maul down to stop it intentionally.

Attackers need to keep it moving and once it stops use the ball quickly and if the defenders keep it in the maul than the ball is turned over.

Emmet is right listening to the refs is great for learning the ever changing rules. For learning the ins and outs if you want there will be some pretty well broken down videos on youtube I would imagine. The sky half time coverage usually breaks things down quite well and explains it fairly indepth so worth a watch in a few random games to get an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                              Bit like jazz.
                                                                                                              Bit like razz.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                A Schools 80s lineout was a thing o beauty
                                                                                                                we had a lad who was 6 foot 3 at age 13 which made lineout calls rather simple

Comment

Nothing at all wrong with trying to expand your knowledge but thats something that just happens when you pay attention to something or spend time watching it.
                                                                                                                  I played it for years and never had a clue what was going on

Even if it was important to have played it what I played umpteen years ago was a completely and utterly different game to what is played nowadays.

We were sharing our dreams yesterday, for years after I had to stop playing I used to dream full games and I still occasionally do.
                                                                                                                  .
                                                                                                                  yet another gay

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                    we had a lad who was 6 foot 3 at age 13 which made lineout calls rather simple
                                                                                                                    No lifting allowed below U15s still.

When I played at that level our shortest forward was our main lineout target. He was a gymnast so had an absolutely outrageous leap compared to the rest of the team.

I was fat then, so I threw the ball sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      Strewely just worried we'll all learn the game and then find out he actually knows as little about rugby as he does soccer.
                                                                                                                      LOL
                                                                                                                      Probably similar amounts TBH

Comment

No lifting allowed below U15s still.

When I played at that level our shortest forward was our main lineout target. He was a gymnast so had an absolutely outrageous leap compared to the rest of the team.

I was fat then, so I threw the ball sometimes.
                                                                                                                        ah sweet nostalgia, I miss the good old days of playing full back and being told you weren't allowed attack and had to hang back to cover. Cue 20 minutes of increasing hypothermia in January sleet before some fucker launched a garryowen about six miles into the sky that you were expected to catch.

Fun times. Thank God I was better at other sports and could give the rugby up when I hit fourth year.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X