This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    The goals take over your year absolutely. 2014 I set myself a goal of earning €130k, which was about €60k on top of regular pay, and a massive leap on 2013. Did 9 jobs outside of my regular job and reached €129,940. Had savings of zero at the end of the year and achieved almost none of the other more worthy goals. What a waste of a year with hindsight. Think I earn quite a lot less now (don't track it anymore, only savings), but am achieving way more stuff of long term potential and its a lot more rounded.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      A fascinating article about the quest for a sub 2 hour marathon.

Link is to a mobile site, reads beautifully on the phone actually.
      Do you have a number in mind for yourself?
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Dingle, Dingle, Monkey 47, Gunpowder and a Gunpowder to finish.

Great tuesday if i do say so.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
            Dingle, Dingle, Monkey 47, Gunpowder and a Gunpowder to finish.

Great tuesday if i do say so.
            Heineken with a dash, Heineken with a dash, free Heineken, Heineken, Heineken, Heineken and just ordered 2 more... Heineken.

Comment

Also why does the Irish Mirror feel the need to specify in the title that it is an 'Irish dad'
              Or a dad? Or a male? Or an eir customer.

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
              Pacino's (Italian) at bottom of Grafton Street is tasty and good value.

Counter is an excellent burger joint

Went to Pachino once and it was shite. Counter was decent.
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                Any food joints close to grafton st that would be worth checking out? On a sat eve early before xmas so bare that in mind. Don't want to blow the bankroll either. No preference cuisine. Tried new dang hai but booked out

I'm looking at McDonald's amnt I? ?
                I'm a fan of Lebanese and enjoy sharing a mezze in The Cedar Tree.

Comment

Bertie is back. Bertie for potirl
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

SPOILER

Meme Joe Biden is my favourite human ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      SPOILER
                      The fact that another host is running around aware of her existence, triggering memories in Teddy, knows about them being reborn and part of a group that seemingly robs spare parts is huge
                      SPOILER
                      I've read it suggested that she isn't actually sentient but rather constructed to appear that way as part of Ford's new narrative.

SPOILER
                      I thought the mechanical inside showed Dolores 1.1 like fords chidhood self earlier.
                      And yeah she died in the riverbed, she flashed back on that last week
                      SPOILER
                      I remember that flash, but wasn't she with William at the time meaning that it happened before they ran into Logan.
                      If there are 3 timelines, which appears to be the case. What have Dolores' movements been since the MIB woodshacked her.
                      Last edited by Mellor; 30-11-16, 00:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                        Bertie is back. Bertie for potirl
                        Dublin Central chair Brian Mohan said Ahern “has been nothing but loyal to Fianna Fáil” and “deserves a second chance”.

Fianna Fáil to ask Bertie Ahern to rejoin party
                        Dublin Central chair Brian Mohan said Ahern “has been nothing but loyal to Fianna Fáil” and “deserves a second chance”.

FIANNA FÁIL IN Dublin Central is set to ask former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern to rejoin the party.

Branch chairman Brian Mohan confirmed the news to TheJournal.ie, after a motion was unanimously backed at a meeting tonight.

Mohan said about 30 people were at the meeting and the motion was voted on after “a deep, meaningful discussion”.

He said he expected a letter to be drafted at Fianna Fáil headquarters tomorrow morning before he will deliver it to Ahern.

Mohan said that while Ahern is “controversial in some people’s eyes, he has been nothing but loyal to Fianna Fáil” and “deserves a second chance”.

He said the former party leader would be an asset to Fianna Fáil as he knows the constituency very well and “knows how to win elections, something he proved throughout his career”.

Mahon Tribunal

Ahern resigned from the party in March 2012 following the publication of the Mahon tribunal. He stepped down as Taoiseach in 2008 and as a TD in 2011.

The tribunal found that he did not truthfully account for payments of IR£165,000 made to accounts connected to him.

The report did not make findings of corruption against Ahern, but proved hugely damaging to his reputation. He has disputed the findings.
                        The sheer brass bollocks on them is quite amazing
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I will either become a hero, known nationally or more than likely arrested if Bertie Ahern comes back into the Irish Politics scene.

Promise.

Comment

A fascinating article about the quest for a sub 2 hour marathon.

Link is to a mobile site, reads beautifully on the phone actually.
                            That was interesting, thanks for posting.
                            I think sub 2 hours is definitely possible. Especially when you consider the suggesting of "teams" competing as in cycling.

This part stood out to me, he's potentially still be improving into his 30s
                            like 18-year-old Ethiopian Tsegaye Mekonnen, who ran 2:04:32 last year in his marathon debut, - See more at: http://rw.runnersworld.com/sub-2/#sthash.eueSEqjN.dpuf

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                              I will either become a hero, known nationally or more than likely arrested if Bertie Ahern comes back into the Irish Politics scene.

Promise.
                              Will contribute to your defence fund m8.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                Dingle really is turgid shit. It is the nut low of "popular" gins.
                                Was given a bottle of Copperhead recently .

Drink-worthy or should I just re-gift it? 'tis the season after all

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post

Promise.

Tir Na Nóg is going to lose his fucking shit over this.

Comment

Irish Cob

This video is filmed with GoPro Hero3 black edition camera. Frame rate is 120 fps.I know it's not 100% galloping all the time, there's cantering, extended ca...

Comment

Every horse needs a little girl in their lives

Some riding on the Irish Cob Ian in the autumn in beautiful Finnish nature. It's shot in Borgå, Finland 2012. The rider is Isla and it's her horse. She's 7 y...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        http://www.thejournal.ie/bertie-aher...urce=shortlink

The sheer brass bollocks on them is quite amazing
                                        Yes. But...
                                        PJ Mara launched Charlie Haughey back onto the Scene and FF took him back. They did it with him.

So I am not surprised. I just hope people are suitably shocked enough for it to destroy ff at the next elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Do you have a number in mind for yourself?
                                          At this point I just want to get around it but I'm going to train really well for it. Target in my head is a sub4 based on how I'm running now but I'm getting stronger so I'll reassess that in a few months.

Did you run it?
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The goals take over your year absolutely. 2014 I set myself a goal of earning €130k, which was about €60k on top of regular pay, and a massive leap on 2013. Did 9 jobs outside of my regular job and reached €129,940. Had savings of zero at the end of the year and achieved almost none of the other more worthy goals. What a waste of a year with hindsight. Think I earn quite a lot less now (don't track it anymore, only savings), but am achieving way more stuff of long term potential and its a lot more rounded.
                                            No offence HH, but how do you manage to have €0 left (and no assets) after earning €130k? I don't think you are living that extravagant of a lifestyle....have you got a second family stashed away somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              That was interesting, thanks for posting.
                                              I think sub 2 hours is definitely possible. Especially when you consider the suggesting of "teams" competing as in cycling.

This part stood out to me, he's potentially still be improving into his 30s
                                              Yeah, that's a mind blowing performance by an 18 year old. I think their prediction of it happening in 2075 is way off, you would have to think it's likely to occur within the next 15 or 20 years.

Comment

I drank it for the first time on Thursday night last. Just the one. It was served with a small slice of Pink Grapefruit. My view was that it was a nice gin but it had been served with the wrong garnish. I'd like to try it again with a small wedge of lime lightly squeezed into the glass or else maybe a healthy sprig of rosemary. The bottle is pretty cool looking. I'd not be giving it away anyway, your drinks cabinet can surely only be improved by having something that good looking in it.
                                                Jesus.

Gin wankery is the new Craft Beer wankery.

Cork Gin, slice of lemon, schweppes tonic. Few of those and cry yourself to sleep with the depression caused. That's how Gin should be done.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                  Jesus.

Gin wankery is the new Craft Beer wankery.

Cork Gin, slice of lemon, schweppes tonic. Few of those and cry yourself to sleep with the depression caused. That's how Gin should be done.
                                                  Cork gin ,its fine for some,Lidl all the way

Comment

This man is from a Brazilian rainforest tribe. His grandfather was the first ever at the age of eleven to ever ever see a white man. He explains that when he walks down the street without his head dress no one knows who he is.

In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TED...

There is a deep hole to greed or empty desire. He talks to Children in schools about how children in the rainforest live. How indigenous people live. How do they fish etc?

From the Amazon to the Kalahari, from the jungles of India to the Congo rainforest, we work in partnership with tribal peoples to protect their lives and land. They suffer racism, land theft, forced development and genocidal violence just because they live differently. It must stop. - Survival International

This is a site for survival of indigenous people.

This is Sofia she is of the Sami people from Northern Sweden.

As a child of the indigenous Sami people, Sofia has been strongly influenced by the powerful landscapes that surround her and the deep connection that her an...

It all sort of reminds me of DAPL. And of Travellers here.

The the man from the rainforest mentions a very strong brew Ayahuasca ;-) reminds me of poitín

Kind of reminds me of travelers here.

We should protect poitín. And indigenous people including travelers.

Also No fracking. Down with this sort of thing!

Comment

At this point I just want to get around it but I'm going to train really well for it. Target in my head is a sub4 based on how I'm running now but I'm getting stronger so I'll reassess that in a few months.

Did you run it?
                                                      Ah with the size of you and your age 3:30 could be well within your scope.

Not done one so far am doing a half every few months, so far I've been doing triathlon as an alternative because it feels like 4 1/2 hours running is too much for my decrepitude. But then the running is the bit I enjoy most and I was thinking I might do one next year but now my groin has flared up again.
                                                      I'm due to run a half down in Waterford this weekend but right now I'm limping and can barely walk. Got a massage last night and after talking to the physio I think I'll go ahead and do the run on anti inflammatories and we'll start working on sorting the problem out after that,
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, that's a mind blowing performance by an 18 year old. I think their prediction of it happening in 2075 is way off, you would have to think it's likely to occur within the next 15 or 20 years.
                                                        Yeah '75 feels too far away.
                                                        The graph from the intro showed a linear progression since '88 and it's trending towards hitting it in 2028. The rate will probably slow down, but id put the line at about 2034.

Comment

Comment

hmm i've no idea. It all went somewhere though, as I counted the earnings to a penny and ended the year with nothing. Travelling was the killer afair - was abroad for two months of the year. Managed to save quite a lot this year on a lot less earnings, so clearly something was being done wrong. A lot of that money was also being taxed very highly - 65 percent maybe with the 13% public sector pension bondoogle on top of the 52% income tax.
                                                            Why 65 % the highest tax bracket is 40%? There are only two brackets 20% and the 40% on the balance. If your married the first 40 grand is taxed at 20% the balance at 40%? I think I'm missing something?
                                                            Last edited by Guest; 30-11-16, 10:34.

Comment

hmm i've no idea. It all went somewhere though, as I counted the earnings to a penny and ended the year with nothing. Travelling was the killer afair - was abroad for two months of the year. Managed to save quite a lot this year on a lot less earnings, so clearly something was being done wrong. A lot of that money was also being taxed very highly - 65 percent maybe with the 13% public sector pension bondoogle on top of the 52% income tax.
                                                              Your misses has an income now, your rent is cheaper, your tax is lower, food is cheaper, booze is cheaper and your now old so cant stay up drinking as late.

Comment

20% 40%
                                                                Married couple/civil partners, one income €41,800 Balance €42,800 Balance

Married couple/civil partners, two incomes Up to €65,600 Balance Up to €67,600

One parent families get screwed IMO.

Comment

Jobs are over rated. Bye yall.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                      The the man from the rainforest mentions a very strong brew Ayahuasca ;-) reminds me of poitín

Kind of reminds me of travelers here.

We should protect poitín. And indigenous people including travelers.
                                                                      I don't think Ayahuasca is remotely like poitín tbh.
                                                                      And poitín is protected. It was granted GI status about 10 years ago. It isn't specific to travellers though .

Comment

marginal was 52% when you consider PRSI. Think its 50% now. Public sector pension is 6.5% contribution plus 6.5% charge = 13%. Fairly certain thats right anyway.
                                                                        That's impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                          I don't think Ayahuasca is remotely like poitín tbh.
                                                                          And poitín is protected. It was granted GI status about 10 years ago. It isn't specific to travellers though .
                                                                          They just got recognized ethnic status :-)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                                              That's impossible.
                                                                              Are you self employed?

Comment

those are all good points! The tax system in France is weird - and is surely going to come back and bite me in the ass at some point as guess I'm misunderstanding something. First they insisted we were exempt from tax for the first two years (2015 and 2016) due to some agreement between Ireland and France. Then they're just not charging any income tax in the whole of France in 2017 due to switching from a pay-tax-the-year-after-earning to a PAYE scheme starting in 2018 and they don't want to double-tax people who would otherwise have to pay 2017 income tax in 2018 plus 2018 income tax. It's still 27% social charges on every penny, so not free money in any way, but the lack of income tax is a phenomenal stroke of good fortune.
                                                                                Ah sorry...didn't realize.

Comment

I just loved the term "Gin Wankery"

Comment

I don't drink I'm just a wanker. :-D

Comment

When you see the most convincing alcohol connoisseurs crumble under a blindfolded palate test it's hard not come to a wankery conclusion. But hey, they're doing noone any harm so leave em at it.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                        I just loved the term "Gin Wankery"
                                                                                        So far, I am:
                                                                                        1. A gin wanker
                                                                                        2. A coffee wanker
                                                                                        3. A wine wanker

Quite happy to work on other areas as required

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                          So far, I am:
                                                                                          1. A gin wanker
                                                                                          2. A coffee wanker
                                                                                          3. A wine wanker

4. Umbrella wanker
                                                                                          5. Bus wanker?

Comment

The Wine Wankers just followed me on twitter
                                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I was given a blind taste test last Thursday night, the bar stocked about 30-40 gins, I nailed it in 1 go on the basis of 1 sip. They just so happened to pick a gin A) I had tried before, B) that has a horribly distinctive taste, so there was a large element of luck involved on my part. The barman was mightily impressed though. I think i'd punt myself in a blind taste test on Gin but it is a hard one as obviously i'd need to have drank the gin before, it's not like wine where I am trying to establish whether or not its a pinot or a shiraz and I should be able to tell irrespective of the brand.
                                                                                              A) Monkey 47
                                                                                              B) Dingle

?

PS -whens the new black puddin out?

PPS - your traders are very harsh men

Comment

So far, I am:
                                                                                                1. A gin wanker
                                                                                                2. A coffee wanker
                                                                                                3. A wine wanker

Spotted you coming out of Sheridans once cheese wanker as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  Ah with the size of you and your age 3:30 could be well within your scope.

Not done one so far am doing a half every few months, so far I've been doing triathlon as an alternative because it feels like 4 1/2 hours running is too much for my decrepitude. But then the running is the bit I enjoy most and I was thinking I might do one next year but now my groin has flared up again.
                                                                                                  I'm due to run a half down in Waterford this weekend but right now I'm limping and can barely walk. Got a massage last night and after talking to the physio I think I'll go ahead and do the run on anti inflammatories and we'll start working on sorting the problem out after that,
                                                                                                  Ooh Tony, sounds risky, although if the physio gave you the all clear hopefully you'll be fine, best of luck.

Have you a foam roller? I'm off with a minor hamstring strain myself from over doing it and found it has really helped. Picked it up on Monday evening and between that and a compression bandage the pain is pretty much gone. Highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                    When you see the most convincing alcohol connoisseurs crumble under a blindfolded palate test it's hard not come to a wankery conclusion. But hey, they're doing noone any harm so leave em at it.
                                                                                                    He needs confidence we need to believe in his dreams....you can be the next Alain Ducasse gimmie

If can be Dusty Springfrield or Claudia Schiffer...you can be a Sommelier.

You have ALMOST as good a chance of that happening for you.

My odds are like 4:1 on being Claudia Schiffer.

Yours are 1:2 on being Alain Ducasse. And i mean..WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ALAIN DUCASSE?

Comment

So far, I am:
                                                                                                      1. A gin wanker
                                                                                                      2. A coffee wanker
                                                                                                      3. A wine wanker

Did a blind wine test on holidays last time and I picked the boxed wine as my favourite
                                                                                                      I did have the other 4 in order of cost though.

Comment

I was given a blind taste test last Thursday night, the bar stocked about 30-40 gins, I nailed it in 1 go on the basis of 1 sip. They just so happened to pick a gin A) I had tried before, B) that has a horribly distinctive taste, so there was a large element of luck involved on my part. The barman was mightily impressed though. I think i'd punt myself in a blind taste test on Gin but it is a hard one as obviously i'd need to have drank the gin before, it's not like wine where I am trying to establish whether or not its a pinot or a shiraz and I should be able to tell irrespective of the brand.
                                                                                                        Obviously wants to be Alain Ducasse. *nods*

Comment

Lidl have a sous vide machine and vac packer atm.

Wife is going to be delighted with her xmas present..
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                            Did a blind wine test on holidays last time and I picked the boxed wine as my favourite
                                                                                                            I did have the other 4 in order of cost though.
                                                                                                            Don't worry because if your answer to the question 'Do you want to be Alan Ducasse?' Is 'who the fuck is Alain Ducasse?' ...well Exactly.

Comment

Fuck that, all I've ever drank all my drinking life is G&T. Just because somebody has a small understanding of it and a palate to go with it doesn't make it wankery. I know what I like to drink, and how it should be served, whats so bad about that? Is it any different to paopls expressing a view on how they like their steak cooked and what sauce it gets served with? I am sure if you search this thread you will see some posts from me about how the garnish is very important to the drink. If it was Tom Dooley in the Sunday Mail people would be saying how insightful and what not. Load of bollocks from you.
                                                                                                              I'm only messing with you relax.

There is a lot of new Gin wankers out there though. There is a Gin hotel in London FFS. It is defo the new cool drink.

I like that you brought up steak wankers too. I like mine medium well with pepper sauce. Some cunts say that's a waste of a good steak. It's a waste if you bring it to me swimming in blood as I won't eat it!!

Don't get me started on coffee wankery, or those two cunts from the Happy Pear.

Comment

So far, I am:
                                                                                                                1. A gin wanker
                                                                                                                2. A coffee wanker
                                                                                                                3. A wine wanker

I bet you're a steak wanker correct?

And you are defo a cheese wanker. Pack of Crackerbarell and a few Ritz. That's all you need.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  Lidl have a sous vide machine and vac packer atm.

Wife is going to be delighted with her xmas present..
                                                                                                                  That's a big family.

Eh she's a lucky woman.

Comment

...

Comment

There is a lot of new Gin wankers out there though. There is a Gin hotel in London FFS. It is defo the new cool drink.

I like that you brought up steak wankers too. I like mine medium well with pepper sauce. Some cunts say that's a waste of a good steak. It's a waste if you bring it to me swimming in blood as I won't eat it!!
                                                                                                                      I was always under the impression there were only juices in steak not blood

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                                        Spotted you coming out of Sheridans once cheese wanker as well.
                                                                                                                        I was sticking to beverages. If we had to list the other areas of wanker-dom, we might break the internet.

Beer wankers are clearly the worst.

Comment

Don't get me started on coffee wankery, or those two cunts from the Happy Pear.
                                                                                                                          Those two gimps used sell drugs now they prance about on TV going on about healthy food cause pretentious posh cunts and hippies sit outside their shop all day.

Pair of pricks.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X