X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter
    This is a tired old debate but the important points to note today are:
    Travellers are Irish citizens, and deserve the same rights and responsibilities as the rest of society.
    I agree.

Let them start living up to their responsibilities to society and then we'll talk.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
      Was just thinking your proposed voucher scheme would be perfect for the Chizzlers' Allowance. Sure you can have free money for procreating, but you can only spend it on books/clothes/food/medicine/etc.
      And for many other SW allowances!

Jesus, of all the people I thought I would covert to my extreme right wing views - you were not on the list.

Welcome Brother number Two.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        probably

yes

Depends on what you mean by a complete animal, sure we're all animals! You are by your own admission judging all people from one group of society based on your perception of some of those people. That is an unreasonable and fundamentally ignorant position.

This is a tired old debate but the important points to note today are:
        Travellers are Irish citizens, and deserve the same rights and responsibilities as the rest of society.
        South County Dublin and DLR have been particularly bad in providing halting sites in recent years.
        Is it prejudiced, intolerant or racist - perhaps but is it unreasonable tho. Statistically I am much more likely to be right than wrong tho.

Education - 70% educated to a maximum of finishing primary school. 1% go to 3rd level.

Crime - cant remember the stat exactly on it but I think it is approx 10% of the prison population are travelers which when they have less than 1% of the population means they get caught a lot more. 82% of over 18 males have criminal convictions.

Violence - I have no figures on the numbers of large scale violent brawls and mass bar fights that travelers participate in as opposed to settled people but I know that the 2 times I was working in a pub and it was smashed to pieces and we took the tills and locked the office door it was travelers.

I agree no real point in jumping into the same old debate of Travelers are people too v fuck them if they dont want to play ball.

My main point and reason for posting was that I don't think you can rightly put the people protesting the location as people who are delighted about the fire - people seem to be making this crazy jump.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
          Cool stories bro.

I don't think you can rightly put the people protesting the location as people who are delighted about the fire - people seem to be making this crazy jump.
          Who said that they were delighted about the fire

Saying that they are cold hearted, unsympathetic knuckle dragging Nimby cunce is fair comment though, IMO.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Is it prejudiced, intolerant or racist - perhaps but is it unreasonable tho. Statistically I am much more likely to be right than wrong tho.

Education - 70% educated to a maximum of finishing primary school. 1% go to 3rd level.

Crime - cant remember the stat exactly on it but I think it is approx 10% of the prison population are travelers which when they have less than 1% of the population means they get caught a lot more. 82% of over 18 males have criminal convictions.

Violence - I have no figures on the numbers of large scale violent brawls and mass bar fights that travelers participate in as opposed to settled people but I know that the 2 times I was working in a pub and it was smashed to pieces and we took the tills and locked the office door it was travelers.

I agree no real point in jumping into the same old debate of Travelers are people too v fuck them if they dont want to play ball.

My main point and reason for posting was that I don't think you can rightly put the people protesting the location as people who are delighted about the fire - people seem to be making this crazy jump.
            No different than blacks in america tho.

Comment

Vote for me Tar, I'll drag this country up off its knees and make it great again.

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
              How did you only get €40?

I can't actually think of any combination of circumstances where the Budget would benefit you so slightly.
              Sounds fair to me. My kids got a 5 euro p/m raise each.
              BETA/Social welfare rate. Christmas bonus increased from 50% to 75% of weekly rate.
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                Have to say I'm with sickpuppy on this one. I know the area involved and its a big difference from where the site was to where the new one is being considered.

While it sounds absolutely heartless from the people involved, if there wasn't a fire and they were blockading the estate to stop a halting site, nobody would bat an eyelid.

Can you honestly say mcnugget that you would have no problem if you lived in a quiet cul de sac and a halting site was planned for the end of it? How would others feel about it (honesty required here)?
                It's hard to be completely honest with yourself until you are actually in the position but in these circumstances I know without a doubt I wouldn't be blockading any site.

I lived on the Glenamuck Road for 5 years and it's really not a big difference, it's literally across the road. I lived less than 500 yards from the halting site and never had the slightest problem or issue in all that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                  It is not over 80% of black adult males with criminal convictions tho - disproportionate amount in prison tho agree.

More than 30% move on from primary school I would imagine even if the numbers finishing secondary in the states across all races is going to be much lower than Ireland.

Finally the Black population in the US is a much large percentage of the total and they are just one of many marginalised and disadvantaged communities.

You can draw parallels but I would not really class them as being the same. Admittedly education is the solution to both problems really - we provide a much better system for disadvantaged kids getting education than the states already.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Wouldn't it be better for everyone if people spent the bulk of what they accumulate rather than hoarding it to pass as an unearned advantage to their small group of blood kin after they are dead?

I'm only spit-balling here, could be totally wrong-thinking but that's how it appears to me...

EDIT: I mean, when you think of it - the money the government would tax from inheritances is money that will be spent almost immediately by the government and so go back into stimulating the economy, people making a big pile of loots to pass on to their brood at some indeterminate point in the future is good for nobody bar the brood.

Encouraging them to blow the loots before they shuffle loose the mortal coil would have a similar stimulating effect, wouldn't it?
                    I am in total agreement about spending your lolly while you are here. Why should we fund the kids? I have got to this age without financial help from my folks. I do know that I will get 50% of the sale of the house but I said to them to sell the house and enjoy their retirement as they are the ones that worked hard for it. I am certainly not funking for their death to get the lootz!

My fathers parents did the exact same. They had a profitable business and a house. Sold both and made a fortune. Spent 80% of the year in a hot country. Waited with the cases packed and watched Teletext and just booked and went. I think it was fantastic and not one member of the family grudged it as they brought up 8 kids and still gave them plenty of holidays and a good life.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    Scrap school uniforms altogether and save everyone a fortune.
                    Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    Uniforms were always sold as a means of limiting pressure on lower income folks and to stop kids being bullied for having shit clothes etc.
                    +2

I like to see kids in uniform. I also like the UK blazers they wear as well. So smart and much nicer there than the uniform my daughter wears which is trousers in a shitty brown colour with everything brown bar the shirt. All having to be bought in a speciality shop. The young fella only needed a crested jumper and the rest was bought wherever.

He has a tie and had no clue what to do. Fast track learning!

My kids don't wear uniforms now and won't in secondary either.

Visions of the young fella coming to me on his wedding day looking clueless with a tie in his hand.
                    My daughter had a tie on elastic for primary school but none needed fpr secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                      Got a call from courier to say they left a parcel in my porch.

98% sure its my OP2. Think i read I will need a new sim? Nano vs Micro is that right?

Also easiest way to back everything up on my OPO? Sorry noob question I know.
                      It's a nano sim yes.
                      Backup is really determined on what you need.
                      Apps should be re-installed when you add the Gmail account.
                      Drive should already have your documents
                      and your pics should already be synced.
                      Anything else can be done via USB backup to cp/titanium backup app.
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Cool stories bro.

Who said that they were delighted about the fire

Saying that they are cold hearted, unsympathetic knuckle dragging Nimby cunce is fair comment though, IMO.
                        I think the main point though is that we are all Nimbys when it comes down to it. You've a fair bit of land down your way. Why don't you sell some of it to the LA for halting site?

Comment

There are definitely parallels but also plenty of differences. Travellers are a much smaller minority, for a start. I think it would also be fair to say that their lack of involvement in society is much more by choice than by rejection from the majority.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                            Vote for me Tar, I'll drag this country up off its knees and make it great again

BETA/Social welfare rate. Christmas bonus increased from 50% to 75% of weekly rate.
                            What is this beta you speak of? Makes you sound like a piece of code.

Comment

Same as the blacks tho.

IT's BTEA, Back to Education Allowance, not a stipend for being a BETA male.
                              I will be voting for Riggs, bring in the ALPHA allowance..

Comment

It is not over 80% of black adult males with criminal convictions tho - disproportionate amount in prison tho agree.

More than 30% move on from primary school I would imagine even if the numbers finishing secondary in the states across all races is going to be much lower than Ireland.

Finally the Black population in the US is a much large percentage of the total and they are just one of many marginalised and disadvantaged communities.

You can draw parallels but I would not really class them as being the same. Admittedly education is the solution to both problems really - we provide a much better system for disadvantaged kids getting education than the states already.
                                1 in 3 will go to prison at some point vs 1 in 17 white people, 1 in 6 latinos.

Comment

Same as the blacks tho.

IT's BTEA, Back to Education Allowance, not a stipend for being a BETA male.
                                  I will be voting for Riggs, bring in the ALPHA allowance..
                                  Just works better, always make that particular typo.

Vote Riggs, things can only get Betaâ„¢

Comment

Was late on the Spice bag phase but certainly wont be late on this http://lovindublin.com/feature/move-...olutely-filthy heart attack in a box!

Comment

1 in 3 will go to prison at some point vs 1 in 17 white people, 1 in 6 latinos.
                                      #puts on racist hat

Perhaps they should stop committing so much crime then? That would be a good way of not going to prison at a frequency 6 times higher than the well-behaved whites. 'Commits Crime' is definitely a very strong predictor of 'goes to prison'.

#takes it off

It is important to realise that these vague statistics are poorly controlled and so contain a lot of information that they 'shouldn't do' if you want to make a good & fair comparison.
                                      Taking America as an example (because I'm certain there is a race issue there!), controlling for socio-economic status is most likely to see a convergence of those rates so that they don't appear so mental. (they'll still be out of whack of course).
                                      Last edited by Emmet; 14-10-15, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                        Have a look at the HP microserver thread in the Bargain alerts forum on boards Danny. Set it up for WOL and you can turn it on over internet from your phone when you are about to use it.
                                        One of my friends has the gen 7 I think will get onto him about it and see what's what in regards to specs, he's given me access to his Plex library and I've been able to stream from it before he also travels a good bit with work and used it while travelling. Think ideally I'd like something small like a Mac Mini that isn't going to be loud/take up space.

Got a call from courier to say they left a parcel in my porch.

98% sure its my OP2. Think i read I will need a new sim? Nano vs Micro is that right?

Also easiest way to back everything up on my OPO? Sorry noob question I know.
                                        Defo need a new sim, nano. Sure you can create some backups with apps but for me I just drag & drop everything (pics/photos) off & on to the new one.
                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                          I think the main point though is that we are all Nimbys when it comes down to it. You've a fair bit of land down your way. Why don't you sell some of it to the LA for halting site?
                                          I have two halting sites within a few miles of me and looking at the local community facebook page I doubt the neighbours would be up for another one

I've had three different families of neighbours living right next door to me in the last few one of which were travellers, two were complete cunce but the travellers were grand.
                                          I do have one neighbour who it seems to me to be evolving into a traveller. He has always kept piebald horses and treated them terribly but lately he's been looking and sounding ever more like one. Is that a thing? Can you become a traveller?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                            One of my friends has the gen 7 I think will get onto him about it and see what's what in regards to specs, he's given me access to his Plex library and I've been able to stream from it before he also travels a good bit with work and used it while travelling. Think ideally I'd like something small like a Mac Mini that isn't going to be loud/take up space.
                                            I bought an entry level Mac Mini and there's more power in a calculator watch. Heap of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                              How many piano tuners reside in any given city is a famous mathematical anecdote. I think Chicago is the usual answer. So that question is turning the usual question around.

So 31,000 would be my guess, which sounds reasonable.
                                              No, the Piano tuners Union goes on strike. It doesn't mention anything about scab piano tuners.
                                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Was late on the Spice bag phase but certainly wont be late on this http://lovindublin.com/feature/move-...olutely-filthy heart attack in a box!
                                                MrsFlushdraw has being praising and promoting these for years.

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                #puts on racist hat

Perhaps they should stop committing so much crime then? That would be a good way of not going to prison at a frequency 6 times higher than the well-behaved whites. 'Commits Crime' is definitely a very strong predictor of 'goes to prison'.

#takes it off

It is important to realise that these vague statistics are poorly controlled and so contain a lot of information that they 'shouldn't do' if you want to make a good & fair comparison.
                                                Taking America as an example (because I'm certain there is a race issue there!), controlling for socio-economic status is most likely to see a convergence of those rates so that they don't appear so mental. (they'll still be out of whack of course).
                                                That's what I was getting at, lol. I wasn't implying that black folk are just bad eggs.

Comment

#puts on racist hat

#takes it off

it's not just "comitting the crime", Black people are disproportionately arrested and charged, and from there, disproportionately convicted compared to whites
                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

You are by your own admission judging all people from one group of society based on your perception of some of those people. That is an unreasonable and fundamentally ignorant position.
                                                    So if I were to base my opinion on, lets say, Sinn Fein/Republican supporters, based on perception of some of them, that would make me both 'unreasonable' and 'fundamentally ignorant' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                      So if I were to base my opinion on, lets say, Sinn Fein/Republican supporters, based on perception of some of them, that would make me both 'unreasonable' and 'fundamentally ignorant' ?
                                                      And perish the thought - what if we changed 'Sinn Fein/Republican' to any of solicitors, barristers, judges, or the whole legal profession? That, in your view, would make me .... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                        it's not just "comitting the crime", Black people are disproportionately arrested and charged, and from there, disproportionately convicted compared to whites
                                                        https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...united-states/
                                                        None of those statistics do anything to detract from my point.

In fact, many of them are just as invalid as the one I drew attention to.

I say this as someone who is quite aware of race issues in the states, not in any way trying to deny them!

example
                                                        3. Students of color face harsher punishments in school than their white peers, leading to a higher number of youth of color incarcerated. Black and Hispanic students represent more than 70 percent of those involved in school-related arrests or referrals to law enforcement. Currently, African Americans make up two-fifths and Hispanics one-fifth of confined youth today.
                                                        Control for the type of incident, does this ratio still exist? (I imagine that there would be a significant difference, but certainly not as stark).

That statistic is meaningless as a comparative tool without that type of control.

Again, consider an overtly conservative somewhat racist logic from that statistic
                                                        "This suggests that Blacks commit more serious crimes than whites"
                                                        and understand that that takeout is just as applicable without further information.

Comment

MrsFlushdraw has being praising and promoting these for years.

That's what I was getting at, lol. I wasn't implying that black folk are just bad eggs.
                                                          The one Mr FD and I had was much nicer than the picture. Was a bit healthier too lol. A bag of salad came with it, no prawn crackers. Really was a meal for 2/3 and great value.

The Scottish are great for unhealthy shit. Deep fried battered Mars bars etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                            Yes. Of course I don't base my opinion of someone, even Sinn Fein supporters, solely on their political views. I especially judge no individual lawyer on the sins of their profession to do so would be ridiculous.
                                                            If it were the case tthen you would expect me to have a poor opinion of for instance Lloyd or Kayroo both of whom I have the utmost respect for, just as I have for the other members of the cartel and apologists for of mass murder we have here

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                              The one Mr FD and I had was much nicer than the picture. Was a bit healthier too lol. A bag of salad came with it, no prawn crackers. Really was a meal for 2/3 and great value.

syn free

Comment

that link doesn't work zod. It's like you're not even trying

Comment

Anyone who has no problem with a halting site on their doorstep is either a saint or a liar .

Comment

On more important stuff Simpsons

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

We need to up our game or create an irish equivalent.
                                                                      What would be an uniquely irish take away foodstuff?
                                                                      potato cakes (scallops for those not from ballyer)?
                                                                      pudding box?
                                                                      spice burger?
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                        pudding box?
                                                                        spice burger?
                                                                        curry cheese coleslaw chips
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

We have the makings of something big here....

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                            I bought an entry level Mac Mini and there's more power in a calculator watch. Heap of shit.
                                                                            Not an actual Mac Mini but something equivalent to size of it, could get a decent microserver for the price of one of them.
                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Tuning in to game 5 tonight DP? Should be exciting stuff.

Comment

Good man Michael conlon

Comment

pudding box?
                                                                                  spice burger?
                                                                                  I saw these 3 in the last couple of days on FB. Noodle Box would go down well out of the 3!

Mekong box €20

Dynasty box €20

Noodle House box

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                    Are we expecting the ireland arg game to sell out? I have 2 cat A tickets which have been up for resale since thursday and i saw today they just released more tickets back for sale for it
                                                                                    nope
                                                                                    Didn't think so, doubled down and picked up tickets for NZ Argentina the night before

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                      Good man Michael conlon
                                                                                      Great interview with him there. Paraphrasing Rocky 2 after watching it last night. Lol.

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                      Didn't think so, doubled down and picked up tickets for NZ Argentina the night before
                                                                                      Let's hope the all blacks soften them up for us then

Comment

ffs

Comment

what do people make of the Nurses strike in St. Vincents?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                            what do people make of the Nurses strike in St. Vincents?
                                                                                            Another monument to the greater glory of Liam Doran

Comment

@aj

Eufa saying first team drawn in qualifiers plays at home first. How does that work seen as there will be two different bowls to draw from.

Comment

Hilarious I'd say. I'm just surprised the three nualas aren't starring.

Comment

Re the Carrickmines residents' blockade, people seem to be totally missing the point.

These people had ten members of their small community perish in the worst fire disaster since the Stardust. Just last weekend. They haven't even buried their loved ones yet.

A baby died. There's a five year old boy whose whole family died. They're homeless and in the worst possible grief.

With all that in mind you have these absolute heartless cunts, fucking bastards, effectively saying to them 'We don't give a shit, you're not welcome'.

Anybody who thinks these residents are morally correct is also a fucking heartless cunt.

imo.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                    Tuning in to game 5 tonight DP? Should be exciting stuff.
                                                                                                    yup...bad start

Comment

pudding box?
                                                                                                      spice burger?
                                                                                                      Major wtf moment when I got home from the chipper with these one day. I did wonder why they were so cheap.

Comment

LOL Dinny OBrien and former INM Imbecile in chief Gavin O'Reilly

You couldn't make this shit up.

Comment

I dont see you inviting them into your garden m8

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                            Major wtf moment when I got home from the chipper with these one day. I did wonder why they were so cheap.
                                                                                                            lol, wtf were you expecting

Comment

lol, wtf were you expecting
                                                                                                              Scallops.
                                                                                                              The fish like

Comment

Was impressed when I saw them on the chipper menu, was like 'wow, scallops, and so cheap'

Comment

is that who I think it is top left?
                                                                                                                  Mayor Crack Pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                    Scallops.
                                                                                                                    The fish like
                                                                                                                    4 tickets in the bag for march 12th, bro in law is very impressed with them so i invited him along.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Not sure tbh

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                        4 tickets in the bag for march 12th, bro in law is very impressed with them so i invited him along.
                                                                                                                        Ah we'll have to have a shnakey one in Bull & Castle beforehand.

Comment

new arrival today at 4 this afternoon. A beautiful baby girl. Mother and Baby doing great. Feel so lucky right now.
                                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X