This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iago View Post
    We need to put the balance back in place and reduce voting rights to only those who have demonstratable intelligence and rationality.
    Can I interest you in the Raelinans' Geniocracy? (warning: may lead to enjoyable Internet reading about Raelians)

Comment

Any good sources for turnout demographics, who voted for what, numbers compared to other years etc?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
        Have a 40 minute layover in Munich with 2 different airline companies, hopefully this one goes well
        60 quid?
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
          Can I interest you in the Raelinans' Geniocracy? (warning: may lead to enjoyable Internet reading about Raelians)
          TIL I want to be a Raelian
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            He's entitled to be angry

The New Yorker is more measured

Denny and Lloyd and other fellow travellers may welcome this development and parse the clear and unambiguous facts of his observed behaviour by falsely claiming that all such observation is whining liberals claiming that everyone who voted for Trump is a racist and or misogynist when it is obvious that no one is saying such a thing.

I am trying to hold out some little bit of hope that Denny's smug Ah shure hes not really like that at all, hes a genius businessman and he will only do sensible sane things unlikely as it seems could be part of the story. The truth is no one knows what the administration will be like but with house, senate and Supreme court in his pocket its very hard to envisage how a blubbering thuggish manchild with a pathological trigger reaction to any humiliation, no matter how slight, gives us any room for anything other than fear and dread.
            great post on why people should actually be worried
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
              That's quite a nice hat actually.

Comment

Here are my thoughts of today on this.

Brexit and Trump were both brought about through the votes of non-university educated people. We have got to the stage sociologically where rationality has become our religion, and bigotry and intolerance of unintelligent people has gotten out of control, safely directing our out-group contempt which can no longer safely be directed to races, genders, ethnic groups, sexual minorities, religions.

We are witnessing a revolution of the less privileged "unintelligent". Our Democratic system has always been stacked in favour of certain types of people, at least at the level of the executive, distinguished mainly by the colour of their tie or political lapel. The ordinary unintelligensia representatives being relegated to the margins of the legislature or local politics.
                This is true democracy in action, because there are very large amounts of less educated and less intelligent people.

I really like this but another part of me wants to dismiss it as sanctimonious twaddle.
                "forgive them, they know not what they do"

Comment

Ignoring and mocking the experts, as people are doing around Brexit and Trump's campaign, is no different to ignoring a doctor who tells you to stop smoking, and then finding later you've developed incurable cancer.

PP doing an end of world special 2016 500/1
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Such banter out of PP. Archbishops of Banterbury.

Comment

reading some of the shite from the anti trump brigade kind of makes me happy the arrogant elitist hilary supporters lost

Washington post for reference

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...492_story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                        reading some of the shite from the anti trump brigade kind of makes me happy the arrogant elitist hilary supporters lost

Washington post for reference

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...492_story.html
                        Political Hipster gonna hip.

Comment

Taleb gets it

The IYI pathologizes others for doing things he doesn’t understand without ever realizing it is his understanding that may be limited. He thinks people should act according to their best interests and he knows their interests, particularly if they are “red necks” or English non-crisp-vowel class who voted for Brexit. When plebeians do something that makes sense to them, but not to him, the IYI uses the term “uneducated”.

Comment

Irish times have full on lost it
                            After a dark election, it is our children that keep us going
                            ‘When we told our son Donald Trump had won, he cried, a deep, raw, devastation’ http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...oing-1.2862764

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              It does seem fundamentally unfair that an uncommitted voter's vote in Florida is essentially worth 10,000 * an Alabaman's vote.

There were solid historical reasons for devising the Electoral College but it does seem outdated in terms of modern politics. For 80% of states, they effectively have no real impact.
                              But that won't always be true. Check out the 1968 electoral map for example. Hell, check out 1992. Things change over time.
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                  And lols at the idea of pointing to Trump getting more Hispanic votes than Romney as part of your 'i'm so rational' point.

Your own confirmation bias never led you to look further into that number to see that there are a lot more possible Hispanic voters this time than four years ago. So getting more votes is not amazing. Plus a lot of those extra votes came from Florida where a lot of Cubans are unhappy at the Cuban peace deal that Trump attacked.
                                  Listen man, he talked about how hispanics are illegal immigrant rapists for which a wall needs to be built to keep them out of the country. Despite that, only 65% of them voted for Clinton.

The path I imagined for Trump was something along the lines of an electoral college squeaker where he found an unprecedented white turnout to offset latino / black numbers worse than Romney experienced. A map where let's say New Hampshire was a key tipping point, and non college educated white men just turned out in their droves. But that wasn't his path. So the rigmarole of 'this just proves deep inside every American is a female hating racist who likes controversial people who've been on TV' just rings extremely hollow.

Everything about the Exit Polling data screams a tough demographic map for Republican candidates and trending worse. Clinton was just an uninspiring candidate who didn't energise her base and failed to hold onto Obama's support. Sure, Trump performed better than we expected, but not in anyway massively superior overall to Romney. As such, the focus here needs to be on why Clinton lost, why she failed to connect.

She ran on two main points as far as I can see:

A) I'm not Donald Trump
                                  B) I'm a really experienced pair of hands

The second point in particular, was just terrible electoral strategy in 2016 after a primary season that screamed anti - establishment.
                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                      Daughter wants one for Christmas. Gold dust.
                                      ...Yeah, looks like they are sold out everywhere and can't even get a pre order...They are available in UK and USA but much much dearer... wonder would there be a chance of price going down on black Friday...if you see any in Ireland at any time message me, and like wise 😊...

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                        How come mine worked then disappeared!
                                        😠😬😠😬😠😬
                                        ...Made a phone call, fixed your problem 😃😃...now if you can return the favor and source me a hatchimal then I'd owe you a 1000 times over...And if it's a pink one then 1001 times over 😂😂...

Comment

...Trump were both brought about through the votes of non-university educated people...

High School or less: C 45 / T 51
                                          Some college / associate degree: C 43 / T 52
                                          College Graduate: C 49 / T 45
                                          Postgraduate study: C58 / 37

Not sure that's as clear cut as you think. No doubt the higher the education level you go the more it favours Clinton, but it isn't as simple as 'no education Trump droool'.

Comment

Oh and, by the way - we forget the parallel between Obama and Trump. Obama was an anti - establishment candidate who beat John McCain and then a former big state Governor. He burst onto the political scene and within a half decade of reaching the national level he was President. No lengthy background in politics, little experience, and the feel of a non politician. The times they are a changing indeed.

Comment

I'd almost post this link as 'presented without comment' but Jesus Christ, some of the contributions on here are so overblown that they read like parody:

As Donald Trump becomes US president, we republish this reaction piece by a host of writers from last November to his election

Comment

Comment

Press conference in 25 minutes for those that care

The UFC 205 press conference will feature the participants of the three title fights and UFC president Dana White Thursday afternoon.
                                                  Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...xit-polls.html

High School or less: C 45 / T 51
                                                    Some college / associate degree: C 43 / T 52
                                                    College Graduate: C 49 / T 45
                                                    Postgraduate study: C58 / 37

Not sure that's as clear cut as you think. No doubt the higher the education level you go the more it favours Clinton, but it isn't as simple as 'no education Trump droool'.
                                                    While I omitted saying it I had in my mind white people without degrees. The breakdown for that is C 28% / T 67% with a swing to Republican. We know that minorities vote Democrat and are more likely to be non-degreed. If you look through the history of the exit polls this is the biggest % of the non-college educated white voters to ever vote for the Republican candidate.

The only swing as big as that is towards Republican for those earning under $30k, which is highly correlated with education (apart from an incongruous religion "something else" swing).

Comment

€2.19 foack me i baulked!. I get the impression he is in a rush to coin in recently with the macklife f.a.s.t program which is really door to door stuff and now this. Win or lose he wont be seen fighting for a year after this fight imo.
                                                      Ive been leaning Alvarez for a while now and leaning stronger now.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                        But that won't always be true. Check out the 1968 electoral map for example. Hell, check out 1992. Things change over time.
                                                        It's the rigging of the Congressional districts that is the biggest scandal.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Alvarez making a massive twat of himself.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                            Alvarez making a massive twat of himself.
                                                            What happened, missed it. He came on time and then fled early to maintain parity?

Comment

There will be punches at this
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Well that escalated quickly

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                  What happened, missed it. He came on time and then fled early to maintain parity?
                                                                  Going on about being half Irish then saying Irish cant speak etc etc kept standing up and trying to give it to the fans then left as Conor hadnt arrived yet.

Conor came in late, took his belt and Eddie came back and a little scuffle started. Alvarex threw his chair down behind conor and conor went skitzo and went to throw it, then a big lad dragged him off stage.

Now they talking again.

Comment

Comment

Bro got his questions in there.

Comment

Has there been any changes to the EC system? - seems weird that we were waiting 110 years since the previous time for Gore to win popular vote and lose presidency, and then just 16 years later the same thing happens again. And of the three other times this kinda happened (all in the 19th century) two aren't really the same thing, only the 1888 election matches.
                                                                        I think they re-weight it between cycles to take account of population shifts.

Here's 1960 for example, back when the South was Blue and California was Red:

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                          Bro got his questions in there.
                                                                          The Irish dude yeah ?
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

And here's Truman's 1948 win (the famous 'Dewey defeats Truman' one):

The North-East was pretty solidly Red

Spoilered for enormitude

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                              The Irish dude yeah ?
                                                                              Yeah with the ridiculous beard.

Comment

You can actually trace American migration patterns over the decades by following the change in the EC map.

Pretty cool

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                    Taleb gets it

The IYI pathologizes others for doing things he doesn’t understand without ever realizing it is his understanding that may be limited. He thinks people should act according to their best interests and he knows their interests, particularly if they are “red necks” or English non-crisp-vowel class who voted for Brexit. When plebeians do something that makes sense to them, but not to him, the IYI uses the term “uneducated”.
                                                                                    Welcome to last month when we first praised that article effusively and also to last week when we swooned over it again
                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

ah okay - so it can't really be manipulated as such if its based on something objective like population (I presume).
                                                                                      It isn't quite exact i.e. the smaller states get a bonus in their weighting

Comment

...

Comment

Obama does not look at all happy!

If as is rumoured he puts Sean Hannity in his cabinet those comments will look mild and reasonable
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Every state has a base minimum of 3, and then another amount based on population.
                                                                                            Leads to a few interesting puzzles. Like take California, which is generally regarded as being great for Democrats as it gives them a massive 55 without having to do anything. However it would be technically better if California was split into 5 different states, there'd then be an extra 12 electoral college votes for the Democrats.
                                                                                            Downside though would be that 1 or 2 of the (relatively) poorer of those 5 states might rebel a bit and become swing states and then money and time would have to be spent.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                              Every state has a base minimum of 3, and then another amount based on population.
                                                                                              Leads to a few interesting puzzles. Like take California, which is generally regarded as being great for Democrats as it gives them a massive 55 without having to do anything. However it would be technically better if California was split into 5 different states, there'd then be an extra 12 electoral college votes for the Democrats.
                                                                                              Downside though would be that 1 or 2 of the (relatively) poorer of those 5 states might rebel a bit and become swing states and then money and time would have to be spent.
                                                                                              California is a special case. Or to be more accurate, it's like the rest of the country used to be.

i.e. rich people vote for Republicans (apart from Hollywood types). It was no accident that Nixon and Reagan came out of that state. The State governor is frequently Republican.

Comment

Fair play to South Park for redoing this weeks episode so quicky

PC Principal introduces the only man who can help heal the divide in the country, Bill Clinton. Subscribe to South Park: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7...

South Park Season 20 Episode 7More clips: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSCckr2RC2urV5iAX-V2hL1NhtcA2qWlH
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

So the states that used to be Red are now Blue and the states that used to be Blue are now Red.

Except the West and Ohio. /end lesson/

Comment

‘When we told our son Donald Trump had won, he cried, a deep, raw, devastation’ http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world...oing-1.2862764
                                                                                                    This nearly had me in tears

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                      It's animal farm being played out in real life. Giving the peons the delusion that each of them is as important as the actual intelligent rational people in the room has led only to them thinking they can genuinely vote as they want rather than as their betters desire.

We need to put the balance back in place and reduce voting rights to only those who have demonstratable intelligence and rationality.
                                                                                                      Myself and Iago were discussing a prop bet when I was in Malta, if Trump won we'd switch and I'd retire, and Iago would go back to work!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        Reminded me of

Comment

Today was last day of Top Tier sales incentive.will know in the morning if I am number one , I better be , worked hard today. have to catch that fucker

SPOILER
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Comment

Gr8 insight

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                                If she'd used her normal speaking voice, like she used in her concession speech, instead of being shoutymcshoutface in everything prior, she'd be president elect now.

Comment

Does Nate Silver have any Republicans on his staff?

Comment

With the power of hindsight, there's some good lol replies here now. Hope the lad actually had this bet on

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                      If she'd used her normal speaking voice, like she used in her concession speech, instead of being shoutymcshoutface in everything prior, she'd be president elect now.
                                                                                                                      Indeed, first thing I thought when she started speaking too.

Vincent B was tilting.

Also the guy from 'kfm' said Saunders.

Comment

Six diet cokes with his dinner. King amongst men.

One man who really knows what Donald Trump is like is his private butler, Anthony Senecal. Before retiring a few years ago, he worked at Mr Trump's lavish Ma...

Comment

Six diet cokes with his dinner. King amongst men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1a9whOz2iY
                                                                                                                          He likes his steak well done,terrifying,don't know how I'm going to go on

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X