This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Got invited along as a spectator to a few 10k races in Dublin by the brother and his wife. Awful way to spend time, battling your way through hoards of people in order to cheer on someone other than yourself for being healthy in a rather boring way from the perspective of a watcher. Maybe the problem is that the bro and family should have waited until it was something more substantial like a marathon before marketing its entertainment value. But even marathons seem to be everywhere now.

I was asking a few colleagues last year when the Tour de France was going through Rennes why they were so keen to see cyclists in spandex race past them in a blur and they were saying no-one ever turns up to see the cyclists, its the parade 'caravane' that happens for an hour beforehand on the route where the likes of Nestle etc shower the audience with sweetie goodies to gorge on so they too might be able to grow up to some day race like a TUE'd cycle pro. So even the Tour de France is an awful spectator sport.
    I thought tour de France spectating was all about the roadside boozing? Which is the only thing that would make a marathon worth watching too
    Last edited by Guest; 29-10-16, 21:30.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'd go to the Tour de France just so I could go early and write some really rude things on the road guys.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
            My brother has ran the marathon a few times. First time he ran it I asked him what sort of training he's done. Turns out the furthest he'd ran prior to the marathon was an estimated 8km "at rugby training last week"! 'Madman!!
            I knew an American barman once who had never run before but reckoned he was pretty fit who decided to jump into the Dublin marathon 'illegally' and got about 18 miles before the stewards wrestled him off the course.

Plenty of lols.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
              My brother has ran the marathon a few times. First time he ran it I asked him what sort of training he's done. Turns out the furthest he'd ran prior to the marathon was an estimated 8km "at rugby training last week"! 'Madman!!
              I should add he obviously completed it given he has my genes

Comment

Comment

anyone any ideas on xmas gifts for an 11 yr old tom boy, she doesnt appear to want anything for xmas bar a hover board which I wont allow, loves techy stuff/ weird stuff. science. she likes unusual stuff?

Got her the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children follow up books , kinda stumped now, she has xbox and iphone. back playing guitar after a yr break.
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                    Presumably if by some bizarre turn of events he was the only Democrat candidate on the day then all prior Clinton votes would go to him. If a state ended up 45% Trump, 35% Bernie and 15% HRCRIP then it would be reasonable of the electoral college delegates to say that the intentions of the voters were clearly for a Democrat president and to nominate Sanders. Though would please the law folk immensely I'm sure.
                    26 of the 51 electoral states (50 states plus DC) require the state's electors to cast their votes in line with the popular vote. Not all 26 make the vote invalid if it is cast against the popular vote. Technically the state's electors are free to vote for whomever they please in the other 25 states.

This is most interesting in Utah, where McMullin might actually win the state. That brings the single most interesting political possibility of the last century into play. If no individual candidate gets to 270 electoral college votes then the vote goes to Congress. The House of Representatives gets to choose the President and the Vice President is chosen by the Senate. They pick the top 3 Presidential candidates by electoral college votes and the top 2 Vice Presidential candidates. The Senate could conceivably elect Pence as Vice and if the House couldn't make it's mind up by Inauguration Day then Pence becomes President until the House chooses a President.

*Ends West Wing fantasy world*
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Here's an RTE news report of the first Dublin Marathon in 1980.

Well worth 2 mins of your time.

Comment

Have worn a helmet every single day of deliveroo before today, today I couldn't find it so went without it. On the way home some car cuts in and takes out my handlebars and sends my flying into the middle of the street before continuing on his journey.

When you're running bad, you're running fucking bad!

#bitofblood #bitofbanter #bitmoreblood
                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

On the bright side, halloween costume looking a bit more authentic right about now
                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

@Denny you going back in on Trump?
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Not enough focus on his love for animals.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Think I had three visits to the loo watching this. Absolutely hilarious. Tears streaming down my face

Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Here in New Orleans. Pretty savage spot. Heading to the Seahawks game tomorrow. Then to Chicago, to see the Bulls game and Ireland vs NZ. Then heading to New York to see a few broadway shows, some random ice hockey game and UFC 205. Then heading to see Machu Picchu for good measure. Hope the marathon isn't too much of an inconvenience back home.

Comment

Sounds like a mighty fine trip. Enjoy.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                      @Denny you going back in on Trump?
                                      Not at this price

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                        anyone any ideas on xmas gifts for an 11 yr old tom boy, she doesnt appear to want anything for xmas bar a hover board which I wont allow, loves techy stuff/ weird stuff. science. she likes unusual stuff?

Got her the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children follow up books , kinda stumped now, she has xbox and iphone. back playing guitar after a yr break.
                                        Why wont you let her get a hoverboard? Lewis wanted one but would only have got the proper branded one which is off the market at the moment due to a lawsuit with Razor.

He wants to build his own PC so we just giving cash now so he can save and when he got enough buy the latest bits. I can help him build it and he will get great pleasure from playing with a PC he built himself!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                          Male or female? enjoy the next 2 years before it all goes pearshaped!
                                          Female. Despite the obvious gene handicap on the paternal side, she is very pretty. Thankfully she seems resolute in her opinion that boys are smelly and kissing is yucky.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Was just looking at the European League tables and noticed that RasenBallsport Leipzig are 2nd in the Bundesliga.

Looking at their history, they were only formed in 2009 when Red Bull bought SSV Markranstädt when in the 5th division and transformed them into RB Leipzig. They have won 4 promotions in 7 seasons. (Their reserve team has also won 4 promotions in 7 years, winning the league 4 times)

They only have 5 players who have made over 50 professional league appearances.

Their average home attendance has also grown just a little over the years

New Leicester City on the cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                              Was just looking at the European League tables and noticed that RasenBallsport Leipzig are 2nd in the Bundesliga.
                                              They're absolutely nothing like Leicester. Actually the most hated club in Germany which takes some doing considering Bayern.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                  Female. Despite the obvious gene handicap on the paternal side, she is very pretty. Thankfully she seems resolute in her opinion that boys are smelly and kissing is yucky.
                                                  Our eldest was more into horses than boys but has started to notice them now! She will be 16 in January and attends college so she mixing with both sexes now as she was in a Loreto convent in Ireland.

But once the tantrums and teenage angst starts you will be wishing they were back to age 10 haha. You also will want to wring their necks regular haha. Teenage years are a tough time and I can't wait till she gets out of them. Boys are not as bad as the young fella is 14 and not really a bother.

Comment

Roast beef in mustard sauce to be accompanied by garlic fried potatoes. Now where's my prize and fck me roast beef is expensive.
                                                    Really? I get bone-in rib roast most Sundays and a piece big enough for 4 of us is about 12-14 quid. Meat in French supermarkets is always a mystery to me. I don't know what equates to what and I'm always to afraid to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      Really? I get bone-in rib roast most Sundays and a piece big enough for 4 of us is about 12-14 quid. Meat in French supermarkets is always a mystery to me. I don't know what equates to what and I'm always to afraid to ask.
                                                      Last time I got properly intimidated was in a French butchers. Was so far out of my league it was scary.

Went in for steaks. Left with sausages.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 30-10-16, 11:36.

Comment

Comment

Guess the year:

Comment

There's something seriously wrong with the French sausage market. Man, they seem to looooove putting in weird bits of the pig in coarse form so you are chewing it thinking: hmm that tastes like ass, maybe i'm eating a pig asshole? Much bigger fan of the Irish and German approach of blending it all into a non-descript sludge.
                                                                  You're thinking of andouillette imo. One of the more repulsive meat derivatives imo.

Most French sausages are great imo. Chipolata, Toulouse etc are fine meaty yokes that would grace any bbq.

And the charcuterie is of course another thing altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                    They're absolutely nothing like Leicester. Actually the most hated club in Germany which takes some doing considering Bayern.
                                                                    Leicester...As in come from nowhere to challenge for the league

Comment

@zuut your Strictly/GBBO moment has arrived:

Oh yea I know about that one. Think some of our students have done well in previous years. I'm pretty sure a bitter tirade about the mess they make of science in Ireland wouldn't win the prize though?

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                        Leicester...As in come from nowhere to challenge for the league
                                                                        In that sense, they'd be comparable to Man City without the history.

Comment

Guess the year:

Could be as far back as whenever trump started talking about running.. was it mid 90s ? As usual Trudeau nailed it.

Did he not get to make another season of that amazon TV show with john Goodman and the lad from the wire? That was a very good show.
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Are single-sex schools just an Irish/UK thing, or they're common enough elsewhere too (outside of the Middle East)? Such a fcked up idea.

EDIT: they might indeed be common in France too for all I know. Although the main Catholic school is mixed, and then seems like where gender segregation would be most likely to happen.
                                                                            In Scotland it was ONLY the Catholic schools that segregated. Most schools were non denom and they were all mixed. Each area only had 1 catholic primary which was mixed and the secondary schools were segregated. But they did away with that when I was about 14/15.

I went to a non denom which was the norm really.

Comment

Alpha house

Cancelled
                                                                              Too much humour for dumbass American's

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                Could be as far back as whenever trump started talking about running.. was it mid 90s ? As usual Trudeau nailed it.

Did he not get to make another season of that amazon TV show with john Goodman and the lad from the wire? That was a very good show.
                                                                                2000 so you're close enough.

The Weiner-gate thing seems to be gaining traction, Trump now best at 3\1 and 5\2 generally.

Comment

Alpha house

Cancelled
                                                                                  Too much humour for dumbass American's
                                                                                  The 1st season was brilliant. The 2nd was dumbed down so much it completely lost what made it good. Not surprised it was cancelled tbh.
                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This is a great Sunday read
                                                                                    President Park Geun-hye issues a public apology on October 25, 2016. ( source ) President Park Geun-hye is in deep trouble. The sto...

This is utterly irrational. Rational people can expect that a corrupt politician may steal money for himself. They can even expect that he may steal for his family. But no one can expect that a corrupt politician would steal money for a daughter of a fucking psychic who claimed to speak with her dead mother
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The Weiner-gate thing seems to be gaining traction, Trump now best at 3\1 and 5\2 generally.
                                                                                      Sense of dread growing by the minute... stupidity of people knows no bounds.

Comment

Sense of dread growing by the minute... stupidity of people knows no bounds.
                                                                                        Trump would have been a comedy footnote if the Dems hadn't put forward such a compromised geebag.
                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 30-10-16, 13:20.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                          Trump would have been a comedy footnote if the Dems hadn't put forward such a compromised geebag.
                                                                                          Anyone who has been in American politics for more than 20 minutes is compromised so the only relevant words there is geebag. This election is now only about how acceptable misogyny is to the rabble.

Comment

Comment

Anyone who has been in American politics for more than 20 minutes is compromised so the only relevant words there is geebag. This election is now only about how acceptable misogyny is to the rabble.
                                                                                              Misogyny?jesus Christ.i would have loved to have seen Elizabeth warren go on a run but I don't like Hillary therefore am a misogynist?? Btw geebag can be used to describe a man too

You see a lot more genuine misogyny on display here and in the Irish media when it comes to Clare Daly
                                                                                              Last edited by Guest; 30-10-16, 13:46.

Comment

...

Comment

People still take the NYT seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                    Why wont you let her get a hoverboard? Lewis wanted one but would only have got the proper branded one which is off the market at the moment due to a lawsuit with Razor.

He wants to build his own PC so we just giving cash now so he can save and when he got enough buy the latest bits. I can help him build it and he will get great pleasure from playing with a PC he built himself!
                                                                                                    No way is she getting a hover board. No handles to hold onto. I feel they are far too dangerous and also think it will be thrown there after a few weeks use.
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                      No way is she getting a hover board. No handles to hold onto. I feel they are far too dangerous and also think it will be thrown there after a few weeks use.
                                                                                                      Depends what it is used for. We see folk going about here quite a bit. I used a skateboard for years and never harmed myself! no need for handles

I do agree they are a bit of a fad and will be thrown in the corner after a bit. But a sensible person will use it properly and not go scooting across busy roads etc. Your daughter seems a pretty level headed girl.

Comment

Elizabeth Warren vs Trump would have been great. He would have been on the canvas howling for mercy after five minutes.

I genuinely don't know why Hilary didn't finish him off. Looks like her team took a decision to let him finish himself.

Comment

People still take the NYT seriously?
                                                                                                          Of course they do - it's the closest thing to the paper of record. They've taken a very strong anti-Trump line, which is hard to argue with objectively.

Comment

5
                                                                                                            Misogyny?jesus Christ.i would have loved to have seen Elizabeth warren go on a run but I don't like Hillary therefore am a misogynist?? Btw geebag can be used to describe a man too

You see a lot more genuine misogyny on display here and in the Irish media when it comes to Clare Daly
                                                                                                            Clare Daly is a geebag. It's written into the Dail record.

Hilary is one too. You might be as well.

Comment

Anyone have any restaurant recommendations in Dubai? Need to book somewhere for our Christmas party. Will be 12 of us so need somewhere that can accommodate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                                Where in Dublin can I buy a roll of bubble wrap?
                                                                                                                Homebase
                                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I must be coming down with an illness. I am contemplating a spin to the SE for the poker tournie.
                                                                                                                  <thinly-veiled attempt to entice IPB'ers out on the lash>

I'm in Westport.

Comment

Recommend watching Weiner, great entertainment.

Where in Dublin can I buy a roll of bubble wrap?
                                                                                                                    Eason's
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I say I say that Chelsea team is alright.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                        I say I say that Chelsea team is alright.
                                                                                                                        Costa is really a glorious bastard love his style

Comment

is it mysogynistic to call Arlene Foster a geebag? Just checking , SP has me doubting myself

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X