Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bit weird seeing the pub I drink in too much on an ad about sleeping, which I never do.

It's like I'm being targeted or something.

Comment

These are all roads around me where I walk me dog. It's going on a year now this Truman Show shit.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Fuck off like.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        What's the view on teachers /Garda strike here?doesnt seem to be getting people quite as ruled as Lucas/bus drivers.governement threatening to stop paying Asti teachers now. Still expecting government to cave tbh
        Should ease up the traffic for a bit if it goes ahead.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Was very disappointed with those rebrands. Loved the dinge of turning up to a party with a bottle of

It was a euro cheaper than the Tesco Gin.

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
        These are all roads around me where I walk me dog. It's going on a year now this Truman Show shit.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Fuck off like.

'Take a coffee'.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

You're all prob watching me too.

Comment

Poor Cill. Gone paranoid.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
              This is massive IMO.

"Christopher Marlowe given credit as Shakespeare collaborator"

!The Elizabethan playwright is to be given credit as a co-writer of the Henry VI plays in a new Oxford University Press edition of Shakespeare's work."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-collaborator/
              Never heard of the guy, but that does seem rather huge.
              A quick wiki-bio suggests all sorts of shady dealings.

Comment

What are some 7am bars in Dublin? Molloys was closed lately when I went, slattery was grand. Need more variety though
                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Wtf sort of gameshow is that?

We've reached the bottom.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    Wtf sort of gameshow is that?

We've reached the bottom.
                    One episode was deemed so bad, Mark L. Walberg himself petitioned that the show would not air.[citation needed] But the decision was made to air it, so Walberg gave a disclaimer at the beginning stating the episode was for mature audiences only.

Comment

Teachers - as a group the shouldn't be looking for wage increases. They should be looking for a re-org of the structure.

Young teachers should be paid more, and older teachers should be paid less and I think it should be scaled as so. I think we should actually be incentivizing teachers to start thinking about other careers as they get older if they don't get into the senior admin roles in a school. Teachers are like GP's - usually excellent and innovative in the first 10 years and then the world passes them by. I honestly believe younger teachers, in general, are more valuable to the education system than older. Bell curve it. I think that if we are to give ground on a raise though we should insist on a way to performance manage out the bad teachers - its nuts that we don't have this. That could be said for a lot of public service professions.

Gardai - can completely understand. I don't think we realize how lucky we are as a country to have the policing ideology that we do. By and large ordinary decent citizens are treated with respect and we dont really suffer from racism, intimidation, unreasonable use of force or police brutality for the most part. Compare that with other nations and you'll see how good a job they do - and this is an unarmed understaffed force who had their pay and benefits decimated by the collapse. I think they have a really reasonable claim to a raise.
                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                        S hard to have an opinion unless you have a full breakdown on wages years of seeevice pensions etc. Had some woeful teachers and went to a decent school also had some great ones who deserved much more. How can the bad ones be weeded out? They have huge holidays teachers that is if you are permanent. Restoration of pay is this possible when the country is still up to our balls in debt. Guards have a much tougher job imo but they know the gig when they start not helped by a gutless judiciary who let every scum shop out on reduced sentences consistently. What age can a guard retire at? 50 in full pension till death.
                        Dual life pension...goes beyond death.

The mother-in-law is on two teacher's pensions.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                          Just got RT flights to marseille for 34 euro. Any recommendations on hotels?

I mentioned it before but Saffron gin while not spectacular gin taste wise is very different and enjoyable
                          Stay down by the old port. The rest of Marseilles is a fucking kip.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                            Compare that with other nations and you'll see how good a job they do - and this is an unarmed understaffed force who had their pay and benefits decimated by the collapse. I think they have a really reasonable claim to a raise.
                            There is an opportunity cost to that. Every € we spend on PS pay increases is a € we could have spent elsewhere.

So the € you would give to your Guard is a € that could have been spent on modern surveillance equipment, modern prisons, better road traffic management, improved riot gear (assuming that € stays within the justice budget. It could equally have gone to reducing hospital waiting lists, improved educational technologies, drug treatment programs, rehousing homeless etc....). And then people complain about services being shite!

The PS is the most rigged game in town and the staff have the rest of us by the balls.

Discuss.

Comment

Survivor predictions before watching latest 2 episodes

SPOILER
                              Will will go far, my prediction to win it maybe. Brett/adam/zeek to go deep. A boy season imo, can't see many girls going too deep or being any bit useful bar micheala so boys #1/2/3 my guess
                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                What are some 7am bars in Dublin? Molloys was closed lately when I went, slattery was grand. Need more variety though
                                For going after work? Or staying out? Wind Jammer for the former, Chancery for the latter. Dark Horse has been turned into a Starbucks.

Last edited by Denny Crane; 27-10-16, 10:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  There is an opportunity cost to that. Every € we spend on PS pay increases is a € we could have spent elsewhere.

So the € you would give to your Guard is a € that could have been spent on modern surveillance equipment, modern prisons, better road traffic management, improved riot gear (assuming that € stays within the justice budget. It could equally have gone to reducing hospital waiting lists, improved educational technologies, drug treatment programs, rehousing homeless etc....). And then people complain about services being shite!

The PS is the most rigged game in town and the staff have the rest of us by the balls.

Discuss.
                                  Could be said about every euro spent on an actual pay increase for any PS employee though.

I think it comes down to how much you value the job as a country, and the calibre of work you expect and candidate you want to attract. Similar to your thoughts on cabinet ministers - pay peanuts get monkeys, and the gardai are paid peanuts - especially the ones who we interact with most. Could be an argument for a re-org their too tbh.

I think Im basically saying I hate old people.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

'Restoration of pay' as some form of trump card hurts my head.

I've no problem with pay increases. But not because 'we were once paid this'.

Comment

I see some of the signs saying 'equal pay for equal work'. In that case I'd like top of the scale professorial salary please.

Comment

Young teachers should be paid more, and older teachers should be paid less and I think it should be scaled as so. I think we should actually be incentivizing teachers to start thinking about other careers as they get older if they don't get into the senior admin roles in a school. Teachers are like GP's - usually excellent and innovative in the first 10 years and then the world passes them by. I honestly believe younger teachers, in general, are more valuable to the education system than older. Bell curve it. I think that if we are to give ground on a raise though we should insist on a way to performance manage out the bad teachers - its nuts that we don't have this. That could be said for a lot of public service professions.
                                        I think Im basically saying I hate old people.
                                        Yep, you probably are

Too simplistic by far to say young teachers are usually excellent and innovative in the first 10 years and more valuable. Some of the best teachers I had were among the oldest in the school. Unless you can produce statistics based on LC results (hard to measure on anything else) against age then this is really just a personal opinion based on your experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                          I see some of the signs saying 'equal pay for equal work'. In that case I'd like top of the scale professorial salary please.
                                          Questions I always think about the 'gender pay gap' -

If I were a profit-incentivised business, why would I hire a man for a job given that I'd have to pay him a premium over a woman for the same output?

If it really were as simple as this, then surely women in employ would vastly outnumber men, given that the business saves money by hiring them?
                                          Last edited by Emmet; 27-10-16, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

'Equal pay for equal work' is just as bad imo.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                yep, sensible stats destroy a vast part of the putative gender pay gap. Anyone using gross averages to compare male and female pay should instantly have things thrown at them.
                                                If we were to have equal pay wouldn't businesses have to actually pay women more than men for the same work?

Comment

How to convince the office, we need one.

Comment

yep, sensible stats destroy a vast part of the putative gender pay gap. Anyone using gross averages to compare male and female pay should instantly have things thrown at them.
                                                    This is such a privileged white male patriarchal position to take.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                      Yep, you probably are

Too simplistic by far to say young teachers are usually excellent and innovative in the first 10 years and more valuable. Some of the best teachers I had were among the oldest in the school. Unless you can produce statistics based on LC results (hard to measure on anything else) against age then this is really just a personal opinion based on your experiences.
                                                      It is a personal opinion. No argument. If we want to leverage the value of older teachers (which there absolutely is btw) then we should be retraining them every few years on fast moving subjects of both social and educational importance, and also, have some sort of forum where they can impart their experience to the younger generations of teachers. Right now the vast, vast majority of older teachers, good or bad, are just doing what they've always done.

And... I agree with the second part... we need to start tracking and analysing these things. The most important part of my post is that I believe bad teachers need to be identified and turfed. But christ, can you IMAGINE the wealth of learning we could find from setting up a way to track data in schools - and not just for education.

Comment

It's amazing all the different ways the same question can be asked in that ipo thread.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                            It's amazing all the different ways the same question can be asked in that ipo thread.
                                                            And fair play to Mr. Carfax for providing all the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              What's the view on teachers /Garda strike here?doesnt seem to be getting people quite as ruled as Lucas/bus drivers.governement threatening to stop paying Asti teachers now. Still expecting government to cave tbh
                                                              The others teachers unions accepted a reasonable deal so the ASTI should fuck off. In reality they also picked to shaft their junior colleagues and it was not a govt suggestion and they agreed to it. Pretty sound of the govt to row back on the unions terrible mistake at all.

The Garda strike is fair enough, they get paid terribly for a tough job so deserve a pay bump. Also as their job actually changes, becomes more dangerous and new technology is introduced there is cause for a pay increase inline with additional duties imo - bus and luas drivers were not doing any of the above.

Comment

If we want to leverage the value of older teachers (which there absolutely is btw) then we should be retraining them every few years on fast moving subjects of both social and educational importance,
                                                                Wow, just Wow!
                                                                A/ you have absolutely no clue what happens in schools and just how much training goes on.
                                                                and B/ Just Wow!
                                                                Some day when you eventually grow up you will look back and think, was I really that stupid and ignorant

Retraining them every few years on fast moving subjects LMAO
                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Morihei View Post
                                                                  And fair play to Mr. Carfax for providing all the answers.
                                                                  Over and over again. Must be head wrecking for him but he ploughs on anyway. Good egg

Comment

Never point out that because there are still increments paid every year that over the time scale people are actually making more than the were when the cuts happened so technically they have had their pay restored.

It is a nice spin indeed

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                      Never point out that because there are still increments paid every year that over the time scale people are actually making more than the were when the cuts happened so technically they have had their pay restored.

It is a nice spin indeed
                                                                      Just to ensure both sides of the argument are heard here

All increments were frozen for 4 years and have only been agreed again this year. Many PS workers would be at the highest point on their scale (roughly 8 years to get there) and therefore would not still receive increments.

I am a long way away from my salary before the cuts. Whether or not I should restored to that level is a different story but to say people are actually making more than they were is wrong.

Comment

Is there anyone here who would have a decent knowledge of the second-hand car market and would be able to give a ballpark value based on make/model/year/mileage?

I'm just looking for a vague idea of what my wagon might be worth...

Comment

Just to ensure both sides of the argument are heard here

All increments were frozen for 4 years and have only been agreed again this year. Many PS workers would be at the highest point on their scale (roughly 8 years to get there) and therefore would not still receive increments.

I am a long way away from my salary before the cuts. Whether or not I should restored to that level is a different story but to say people are actually making more than they were is wrong.
                                                                          I hadn't realised that was the case for some sectors - which one do you work in or don't answer if you dont feel comfortable.

Teaching and health care are still getting increments anyway but the increments take way longer than 8 years to get to the top of the scales with separate grading scales in healthcare for staff grade, senior and mgt. Not 100% sure how it is graded in teaching but afaik it is teacher, vp and principle with 25 years to max out on each.
                                                                          Last edited by RichieM; 27-10-16, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                            I hadn't realised that was the case for some sectors - which one do you work in or don't answer if you dont feel comfortable.

Teaching and health care are still getting increments anyway but the increments take way longer to get to the top of the scales with separate grading scales in healthcare for staff grade, senior and mgt. Not 100% sure how it is graded in teaching but afaik it is teacher, vp and principle with 25 years to max out on each.
                                                                            Ok, I wasn't aware of that in relation to teaching and health care either.

I work for a Local Authority. I just checked there and our scale is over a ten year period but the last two are long scale and you need a few extra years to get them. The LA I work for has a very aging workforce (issue as you might imagine). I would hazard a guess that >65% of the staff are at the max of their scale but can't back that up with facts. We are hiring again so your point will be correct for some staff members in time but just wanted to highlight that its not across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                              Is there anyone here who would have a decent knowledge of the second-hand car market and would be able to give a ballpark value based on make/model/year/mileage?

webuyanycar.com offered me £65 for mine

Comment

webuyanycar.com offered me £65 for mine
                                                                                GLOLM

Adverts.ie has a car valuation thing that's telling me I could get 8k for mine which I reckon is probably a solid four times higher than real life.

Comment

Didn't Doc Farrell pop his head in yesterday, wasnt he in that business ?
                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Ok, I wasn't aware of that in relation to teaching and health care either.

I work for a Local Authority. I just checked there and our scale is over a ten year period but the last two are long scale and you need a few extra years to get them. The LA I work for has a very aging workforce (issue as you might imagine). I would hazard a guess that >65% of the staff are at the max of their scale but can't back that up with facts. We are hiring again so your point will be correct for some staff members in time but just wanted to highlight that its not across the board.
                                                                                    No that is fair enough and afaik everyone was responsible for negotiating there own pay cuts so it was how people wanted to do it.

Allied Health (physio, OT etc) decided to push the increments out from 12 to 18 months and work in efficiencies to reduce headcount.

Teachers decided to reduce the starting pay of new entrants - I dont think the senior teachers in the union get enough credit\blame for being the champions of selfishness. Blaming the govt for allowing them to make the call on shafting their own members is the tack I would take if I found myself at the head of the union but I always wonder why the spokesman for the govt doesn't lash back and pin the blame squarely on the guys. I personally would be running tapes of the union members voting to agreeing to this on every news outlet and shame them into submission.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      Wow, just Wow!
                                                                                      A/ you have absolutely no clue what happens in schools and just how much training goes on.
                                                                                      and B/ Just Wow!
                                                                                      Some day when you eventually grow up you will look back and think, was I really that stupid and ignorant

Retraining them every few years on fast moving subjects LMAO
                                                                                      You are going to give yourself a heart attack, chill the beans.

I have been out of school 10 years now tbf, but I am certain that there was very little re-training in my day - things like science, health, sex ed, religion, all just same ol same ol.

No doubt I'll look back and think that... don't we all?

I should be able to get you a value pretty easy. Send on details.

Comment

just go on carzone and autotrader, filter by car/year/engine/mileage to get a ball park figure.

or just tell us what color it is and we'll tell you what it's worth.

Comment

For going after work? Or staying out? Wind Jammer for the former, Chancery for the latter. Dark Horse has been turned into a Starbucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRz3vfRFfs4
                                                                                          Yeah just for an after work pint after night shift. Have never been to the windjammer, shall change that soon though cheers!
                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

This is such a privileged white male patriarchal position to take.
                                                                                                Watching the WSOP AA vs KK hand, and the first guy tells the other to "check his privilege". Christ.

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway. You're fuckin a white male.

The human race is truly doomed.

Comment

Watching the WSOP AA vs KK hand, and the first guy tells the other to "check his privilege". Christ.
                                                                                                    And the guy saying it is like a fucking poster boy for over privileged americans

Comment

What do these letters mean?

Comment

didn't he say "check your privileges"? that's what i heard anyway, which is nowhere near as bad as that.

Comment

What do these letters mean?
                                                                                                          AA is pocket Aces. The best starting hand.

KK is pocket Kings. The second best starting hand.

WSOP is Weird Spastic Online Players which refers to the kind of people you see playing poker these days.

Comment

Bad news for mdoug (the man of many ...jobs)

UK's national sperm bank stops recruiting donors
                                                                                                            Sperm donors are compensated £35 per clinic visit
                                                                                                            Handy few quid

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                And the guy saying it is like a fucking poster boy for over privileged americans
                                                                                                                Pretty sure he's Canadian. Check your geography.

I think I saw Downtown congratulating him on the rail after the final table was set. I'd love to know if he intentionally tried to bait Kassouf. Obviously makes zero difference given the hands but I think it would make me like Benger more to know he said "Check your privilege" as speech play and wasn't just being annoying.
                                                                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Bad news for mdoug (the man of many ...jobs)

UK's national sperm bank stops recruiting donors

Handy few quid
                                                                                                                  Am over in the uk again soon, can pick up some as I drop some off
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

How's the Amazon Echo working out for you Denny?
                                                                                                                    I've Philips Hue bulbs and play spotify through my dot connected to the speakers. So get lots of use out of those two. It's cool to control lights and music from the couch with your voice. Not sure I'd get much use out of it without those two, but I haven't spent much time going through the skills. It's going to take a while for the UK and especially Ireland to catch up with the US in terms of fuctions.

Google's version is likely to be far superior but the echo dot is only fifty quid.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 27-10-16, 15:31.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                      just go on carzone and autotrader, filter by car/year/engine/mileage to get a ball park figure.

or just tell us what color it is and we'll tell you what it's worth.
                                                                                                                      Too few for a decent comparison, I've tried that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                        Pretty sure he's Canadian. Check your geography.

I think I saw Downtown congratulating him on the rail after the final table was set. I'd love to know if he intentionally tried to bait Kassouf. Obviously makes zero difference given the hands but I think it would make me like Benger more to know he said "Check your privilege" as speech play and wasn't just being annoying.
                                                                                                                        Seeing as how you are our resident pedant I'll ask you to remind me where Canada is

I think all that was going on is that Kassouf completely got under his skin and Benger let himself down badly as a result.

Comment

Dobby, its been 2 years since you found my jacket & headphones.

Happy anniversary m8.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X