This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Maybe I missed the finer points in macroecon class, but hard to see how a weak currency for the brits is anything other than positive for them, except that maybe the cheap tat in poundland might now have to sell for a few extra pennies.
    It helps exports but also makes you poor.

A sword of the double-edged variety.

If you look at the rich countries in Europe, they were all the proud possessors of 'hard' currencies.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Maybe I missed the finer points in macroecon class, but hard to see how a weak currency for the brits is anything other than positive for them, except that maybe the cheap tat in poundland might now have to sell for a few extra pennies.
      Because they import so much more than they export. And almost none of it is locally substitute-able.
      Weaker currency => More expensive imports.

Yes in the long run that will create opportunities for indigenous businesses to work towards replacing some of these more-expensive-imports but the long run is quite long away!

Much of their exports are based on adding value to imported goods too, meaning that they won't actually benefit hugely from a currency weakness as their costs increase proportionally.

Very useful information available here

With the bulletin synopsis here - http://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nation...tion-and-trade {section 5 deals with your question well}

Top 30 Commodity Imports available on Sheet '15.Top 30 Commodities'
      [NSFW="Big Table"][/NSFW]
      Last edited by Emmet; 07-10-16, 08:00.

Comment

Mick Wallace providing massive value far outweighing anything that could have been done with his unpaid tax again yesterday,along with Clare Daly. Making Frances Fitzgerald look like a fool

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          Mick Wallace providing massive value far outweighing anything that could have been done with his unpaid tax again yesterday,along with Clare Daly. Making Frances Fitzgerald look like a fool
          She just never answers a question that sums up a lot of politicans though.
          She has done fuck all since she got the job.
          A quick look at her political cv and she has failed to be elected a number of times.
          How she has been touted as a possible fine gael leader is mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            She just never answers a question that sums up a lot of politicans though.
            She has done fuck all since she got the job.
            A quick look at her political cv and she has failed to be elected a number of times.
            How she has been touted as a possible fine gael leader is mind boggling.
            Bring back Shatter....

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Don't know enough about it, but this Telegraph article today seems rather convincing that the fall in sterling is rather great.
                  The "Torygraph" so pinch of salt and all that!

As far as exports the Brits make

Cornish pasties
                  Pissy beer
                  Wax jackets
                  Financial services

Tis good to be inside the tent when selling inside the tent services so number 4 might be in trouble

Bit of panic in the civil services due to the whole "Brexit for trade deals" angleshoot when there is nothing to trade

Pissy beer anyone?

Comment

Just dawned on me my cheap European holidays id planned for next year or so to see where to move to next, are not going to be that cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                      The "Torygraph" so pinch of salt and all that!

As far as exports the Brits make

Cornish pasties
                      Pissy beer
                      Wax jackets
                      Financial services

Tis good to be inside the tent when selling inside the tent services so number 4 might be in trouble

Bit of panic in the civil services due to the whole "Brexit for trade deals" angleshoot when there is nothing to trade

Pissy beer anyone?
                      Speaking of pissy beer.
                      Was in my local last night and a man ordered three pints of Budweiser.
                      How can people drink that watery shyte?

Comment

Sterling is in some freefall at the moment. Any predictions as to where it will settle down?

Looking at the Yahoo graph it actually fell to 1.07 overnight in a matter of minutes from around 1.13 but seems to be around the 1.11 mark at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                          Speaking of pissy beer.
                          Was in my local last night and a man ordered three pints of Budweiser.
                          How can people drink that watery shyte?
                          Don't have an answer to that, think I have drank about 4 bottles of that stuff in my life

Comment

Don't know enough about it, but this Telegraph article today seems rather convincing that the fall in sterling is rather great.
                            Dude. The Telegraph?

Comment

From the article

At the moment, Brexiteers are happy, pointing out that exporters are being given a huge boost
                              They haven't. The interdependence of the UK export industry on their import industry means this simply isn't true. If the UK were exporting wholly indigenous goods they've just had huge gains as their product becomes cheaper to a huge number of people overnight. However, as above, and as the ONS points out, almost all UK exports depend on imports. Nissan Cars are manufactured in the UK, but not from UK parts etc... The theory is good "weak currency => exports benefit" but that only works if the raw materials are all locally sourced.

Almost all of the rest of the article is very Catholic self flagellation.
                              But the conclusion was that we were living beyond our means, and that our currency needed to drop in value, reducing the value of all UK assets and UK incomes streams (including salaries) in overseas currency terms to reflect that. Painful medicine, but necessary – and the whole point of having a floating exchange rate is that it can eventually adjust relatively easily.
                              C'mon Hitch
                              The IMF is wrong about most things, but it calculated that the pound was between 12 and 18pc overvalued prior to Brexit

He has another go, without understanding what Britain exports.
                              FYI - Top 30 British Exports are

Spot the locally produced and non-import dependent products?

The weaker pound makes it cheaper for UK exporters to sell their wares abroad; it makes it more expensive for Brits to buy imported goods...
                              Theory yes. Reality => it's slightly more complicated than that.

Here's the important bit for people;
                              We will feel poorer, for good reason
                              And a very boldly asserted, and excellently not-backed-up point
                              The idea that the slump in sterling reflects a real reduction in the value of the UK economy - in other words, that the net present value of the UK’s GDP is down by a massive amount is nonsensical.
                              So far, retailers have absorbed many of the costs; producer prices have been under greater pressure.
                              This is a good thing?
                              Last edited by Emmet; 07-10-16, 09:28.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                Sterling is in some freefall at the moment. Any predictions as to where it will settle down?

Looking at the Yahoo graph it actually fell to 1.07 overnight in a matter of minutes from around 1.13 but seems to be around the 1.11 mark at the moment.
                                It'll go to parity with the euro. Then parity with the dollar.

Fairly quick too.

Then the UK will be renamed Zimbabwe-on-Sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Dude. The Telegraph?
                                  According to them the Euro hit a five-year high against the dollar a couple of days ago

Oil price,Markets,Pound,Nasdaq,Dow Jones Industrial Average,Dollar,Shanghai Composite,DAX,Currencies,FTSE 100,EU Referendum,Nikkei 225,Euro Stoxx 50,Mark Carney,Business,S&P 500,Brexit,Shares,US Federal Reserve,CAC 40,Gold,Bank of England,Eurozone,IBEX 35,Oil,Market report,European Central Bank (ECB),Standard,Euro,European Union

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                    Ever since Sky wouldn't replace my remote after I had given them 13 years of business I've been looking for the right deal to tell them to go fuck themselves.
                                    Record that convo please. :-)
                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Fairly quick too.

At what point do you go and start buying expensive items from the UK? As eventually prices are going to rise sharply as their pound weakens. Huge savings to be made there at the moment on electronics/cars etc

Comment

You know who needs drop kicking, that D4 twat kid in the Aldi rugby ad!
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

One more quick big table.

Of the UK's 30 biggest import & export markets, only 6 don't cross over in terms of rankings. An awful lot of what the UK exports it also imports.

Check out the balance of trade on some of them...

Of course, utter truism, the weakened pound will almost certainly increase demand overseas for British Products, as at today's prices, they are materially cheaper than they were a week ago. Lower prices, demand increases.

However, if those products are made from imported materials, then either those prices overseas {and internally!} must rise to reflect the increased cost of production that the weakened currency has made (potentially offsetting that increased demand?), or else the producers will have to take a hit.

Is that sustainable? Is that a real benefit to the British producer?

Comment

Also, was offered an 'out' @ 85p about 3 weeks back and said no, didn't want to crystallize the perceived loss.

Fuck

Comment

Is this just a reaction that will rebound a bit in the next week or so? Might be a good time to peruse amazon, etc.

Comment

Comment

So when I win the euromillions tonight can I get them to stick the monies in a € bank account and not transfer it into £?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                    I get zero benefit from this , I can just tell you , I know for a fact he will be sorry .

I have nothing against android boxes and what not but Eir is just shit and I know that, as I hear feedback every single day.
                                                    We have an android box in, does the job for me. I would hate to be paying the €123 I paid in Donegal. The TV goes on for a tiny bit a day. I don't watch it, just read books, Tony at work, kids at school and even when they home they watch netflix rather than the TV. A complete waste of money it would have been!

We pay €29 a month for 2 places to watch it. Grand job

Comment

Fairly quick too.

Now if I had a mind, how would one go about making a profit based off the misfortune of this proud, sun reading x factor loving, union jack waving nation?
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@emmet whats the point of a list of 30 big manufacturing exports and imports, if manufacturing is only 14% of the UK economy. Can imagine there's far more benefits to come from exported services that whatever is going to happen to manufacturing (where even there it requires a bit of twisted logic to arrive at a conclusion that manufacturers selling more is a bad thing!)
                                                        No doubt that there will be advantages from the sterling fall for these fields;

The most recent services data from ONS is 2014, but gives you an idea of the amount of the industry that depends on being able to serve the EU and the single market.
                                                        That's the market that they're looking to leave of course...

Comment

so...florida is fucked eh?
                                                          See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive animated map. Updated every three hours.

Shepard Smith reveals the horrible truth behind Hurricane Matthew. If you're reading this, your children are already dead.
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                            So when I win the euromillions tonight can I get them to stick the monies in a € bank account and not transfer it into £?
                                                            Buying property in Ireland seems to be the best bet since demand is about to jump further outstripping supply when the cost of inheriting is reduced, more first time buyers enter the market and financial services companies move from the UK to Ireland.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Nice €20k refund for GAB on income tax from the purchase of his house thanks to the upcoming budget (going to be backdated to July so applies to him).

Not quite sure why ye should all be funding GABs dreams through your taxes, but there we go.
                                                                  Very unlikely to apply to the purchase of existing builds unfortunately. If it does however...
                                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Comment

Jesus laya Healthcare through work is awesome. I have a chest infection. I know I do myself. Had a video call with a doctor for free and he just sent fax to chemist beside me to pick up antibiotics and an inhaler.
                                                                      Unreal!
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Michelle, I just called the eir rep who confirmed that I won't have any interruption to my BB. They are installing on 21st of this month, my virgin service will shut down in and around the 6th of November. Also confirmed (as the contract states) that my monthly fee will not change for the entire contract.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

MSN, did you ever get the invisaligns?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                            MSN, did you ever get the invisaligns?
                                                                            I was meant to get periodontic treatment after getting a back tooth out. Dentist was to forward everything to periodontal clinic in Nass. I have heard absolutely nothing since. And cant go forward without getting that done first. So dunno
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Nice €20k refund for GAB on income tax from the purchase of his house thanks to the upcoming budget (going to be backdated to July so applies to him).

Not quite sure why ye should all be funding GABs dreams through your taxes, but there we go.
                                                                              Has me looking at property porn anyway

Phroaw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Phroaw!!!
                                                                                Two bedrooms but three different toilets? I'm not sure that's the optimal use of limited (approx. 100sqm) space!

Comment

Phroaw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                    Missed that but had a good day and ended up with far more than i should on the Portman filly in the first tomorrow. Far more....
                                                                                    Nice one. Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      I quite like filtering for Dublin houses listed at 2m+ for interior design ideas.
                                                                                      You'd get on well with my missus.

Her -"We are looking at a house today at 1pm"
                                                                                      Me - "How much is it"
                                                                                      Her- "3 million"
                                                                                      Me - "WTF, we can't afford that"
                                                                                      Her - "Just for ideas"

Does my nut in.

Comment

Usually find all the the higher end houses have archaic interiors.
                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 07-10-16, 14:39.

Comment

Agree with Denny would be better to look at something in a big US city for 40 mill
                                                                                          Interiors here are generally terrible.

Comment

this is starting to get less funny

Leading foreign academics acting as expert advisers to the UK government have been told they will not be asked to contribute to any government analysis and reports on Brexit because they are not British nationals.

Comment

Usually find all the the higher end have archaic interiors.
                                                                                              Example - http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for...ublin-1308410/

The library is fantastic though.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Ah to be a middled aged woman vampire from ballybofey.

Can find anything you want here
                                                                                                Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 07-10-16, 14:35.

Comment

Very clever review of a new biography of Hitler in the NYT

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Replace('Hitler','Trump');
                                                                                                  Move(hitler-ascent-volker-ullrich.html, BookReviewSection, EditorialPages);
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Jesus, what's happened boards.ie

Comment

It's the Tories ,they haven't changed?

Comment

Linked Finance is class. Fingers crossed no cunce default on me now.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My missus uses this site for design ideas.
                                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                              so...florida is fucked eh?
                                                                                                              See current wind, weather, ocean, and pollution conditions, as forecast by supercomputers, on an interactive animated map. Updated every three hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYaH5nU1Ls0

...pray for luckforsome, popped over there 2 days ago. sounds like banter to be fair.

well haiti is fcked, but they have less cameras there.
                                                                                                              Denis O'Brien on standby.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                              They'll juice you every month regardless.
                                                                                                              Someone posted another site I think that isn't so juiced.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 07-10-16, 14:50.

Comment

Don't be just rolling your eyes if you bothered to actually read it you might understand.

Comment

This substantial property on the only remaining intact Georgian street north of Dublin’s Liffey has been lavishly refurbished to a high standard with nearly €3 million in renovation works undertaken over the past decade

Grand pile of bricks in the paper yesterday. Walking distance to the quiz.

Comment

Lol I'm afraid.

Comment

That and the place on Orwell road that GAB linked the other day make this place look like a proper bargain
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                                      http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...-25m-1.2807324

Grand pile of bricks in the paper yesterday. Walking distance to the quiz.

Comment

Lol I'm afraid.
                                                                                                                        Lol?
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have a fair few loads on there incl a few grand to cornucopia and all have repaid for a year and a half so far. I hate the new set loan percentage, I was able to get a lot of good value just applying my own percentages near the end of a loan, seems way shitter now.

Mintos is the other site, lot more variety.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X