This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    Question for you RDIII (or anyone else). What price a move abroad yourself? How much more net income would it take for you to up sticks to France for example?

Before becoming a Dad I could have answered this question reasonably easily and it was mainly age and opportunity dependent but it's very hard to answer now...
    The net income bit probably not as important as 'quality of life, especially schools' imo.

Made a half-hearted (as I wasn't really sold on it myself) effort to think about S.A. relocation when it was offered. I have lived and worked abroad in the past so I don't feel like it's something I have to do.

Funny you mention it though; was talking about this with Mrs DIII the other day and she is highly open to the notion of an American secondment for a few years. I personally would love to do Australia again. Probably the best thing about the current role would be that I could do this fairly easily. Kids would be the biggest barrier though; children hate change. Son would probably die if he had to give up his soccer club.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
      My thoughts exactly everytime i see those posts!
      It's like when you're listening to the radio when some guy comes on to say you should be saving at least a grand a month into your pension in your thirties like it's nothing, need more plotless don't have my shit together posts here for balance

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Just had dinner with three Chinese colleagues in Ha Lin on Capel St. Existence of 'the secret Chinese menu' duly confirmed.

The bastards.
        I've witnessed it, but never tried it.
        did you take any tips for impressing fellow laowai for future trips?
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Starting to fell left out with all the people doing online courses with various ITs/units at work. Could count on one hand the amount of people over the years who have got significant promotions /pay rises out of it,a lot of it seems like a racket.
          Not knocking education/bettering yourself and its prob something I should do but I'd need to be pretty certain of a solid benefit before dropping 4 or 5 k a year on one of those, I'd say unis are cleaning up as it's seen as something you have to do nowadays .Working yourself up from the bottom seems to be becoming increasingly difficult without having your pieces of paper

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            I've witnessed it, but never tried it.
            did you take any tips for impressing fellow laowai for future trips?
            Yes. Bring a Chinese person.

No idea what most of the dishes were but excellent

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              It's like when you're listening to the radio when some guy comes on to say you should be saving at least a grand a month into your pension in your thirties like it's nothing, need more plotless don't have my shit together posts here for balance
              Ah don't worry those radio spots are all wrong.

SPOILER
              Probably more like 2-3k p.m.

Comment

Smooched the chick that took that photo in secondary school, shes fairly sound.

Thats my claim to fame. lol.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I used to work on the third floor of the building 2nd from the right. Nice view overlooking the water.
                  Was that Blackrock?
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

The talk of moves is rather interesting for me at the moment. I could make a lot more money by moving.

Negatives

I love my job and the work environment.

Positives of a foreign move

Car cost comes to somewhere around €230 weekly excluding depreciation.

The move would probably be excellent for my CV.

Getting a little sick of small town life.

I get approached about once a month about roles but it is only lately I have started considering it as an option. I turned 30 this year and I guess I could end up settling at any stage and if I do I may always wonder.
                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                      It goes Heroin, Coke, Nicotine.

It's just too easy to quit quitting since you can easily buy smokes. The cravings never really go away for lots of people too, just weaken. Not looking forward to process.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                        Was that Blackrock?
                        No Willis. I thought they were on the 6th...can't remember now....
                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                          My nexus 7 is nearing end of useful life, Shield K1 seems best valooo . Are there any other worthy contenders?
                          The OnePlus 3 is top class, can't recommend it highly enough. I've had the OnePlus 1+2 as well and the jump in quality is very noticeable. It was not available recently because of European demand though I think it's back up and running now.

Comment

No Willis. I thought they were on the 6th...can't remember now....
                            Either can I. They've both moved now anyway. Blackrock to Ballsbridge Park, and Willis to that kip in Elm Park.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

USA USA USA!

Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-10-16, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                  I still occasionally get cravings, usually a day or two after I've been exposed to smoke. Comes in a big wave out of nowhere and disappears after a few minutes. Very annoying.
                                  The smell disgusts me, i had the hand movements, things to do etc for a few months but i know i will never smoke again. Dont miss the smoking one bit, the act itself...i mimic sometimes with a pen, just to get that throat hit, i tell people i didnt smoke for 25 years because i hated it. I have put on weight, a nice bit, but ill wrestle that demon elsewhere.

I suppose its like an alco, the guy who goes off the fags knowing and truly believing he will never smoke again does so because he knows, just the one will put him in the ground.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Uplift...

Am I the only one here ?
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Its a replacement for nexus 7 tablet i was looking, am sorted for phones for next year at least
                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                        I know but I'm hittin the big 30 soon. Your frequent posts, while timely reminders of the things I should be thinking, are also timely reminders of how I absolutely dont have my shit together.

So... Thanks!... I guess!
                                        The big 30 is fuck all...enjoy not having your shit together, lots of time for that.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Sugar is a ridiculously difficult thing to give up, harder than nicotine imo, and much, much harder to avoid.

Comment

This single version of "Lay Lady Lay" plays in its entirety at 3:20. Columbia Records - Columbia 4-44926 - (ZSP 150045) - 1969
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                              Sugar is a ridiculously difficult thing to give up, harder than nicotine imo, and much, much harder to avoid.
                                              How long are you off the "sugar" ?
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

So, one of my sisters went to her GP yesterday, as she'd been feeling kinda tired for no apparent reason. He sent her off to hospital for tests. They found a 'huge' tumour in her lady parts. Something like a 5 hour operation today to remove it. Jebus

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 04-10-16, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                  So, one of my sisters went to her GP yesterday, as she'd been feeling kinda tired for no apparent reason. He sent her off to hospital for tests. The found a 'huge' tumour in her lady parts. Something like a 5 hour operation today to remove it. Jebus

Your family has had an awful run of things from what you've posted here. Hopefully this one turns out better for ye.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                    How long are you off the "sugar" ?
                                                    I'm treating the question as it there were no "quotation marks".

I'm trying to be good recently, but had a bar of chocolate today, a not too rare occurrence sadly, but I'm a lot better than I was a few months back thankfully.

Why is it just so damn tasty

Comment

Is it like a macrobiotic diet then or something? Their food makes you feel so fucking good but is too much effort.

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                      How hard are cigarettes to give up? Smoked for 3 weeks when I was 12 and realised what a retarded habit it was. Both my parents and two sisters have given up only mother has an e cigarette. I am an anti smoker stinks and smokers smokers seem to just throw butts everywhere.
                                                      Depends on the person obviously, some people find it hard to stay off even when they do. My mother is one of those, whereas my sister would have just quit and that was that.

Wish I smoked, the smoking area is the place to be from my experience.

Uplift...

Am I the only one here ?
                                                      Thank you for allowing me to reach out to you about this exciting opportunity to say that word can fuck off.

I am getting contacted by people like "Hero" recruitment and people looking for coding ninjas and shit. DIAF.

Comment

I'm treating the question as it there were no "quotation marks".

I'm trying to be good recently, but had a bar of chocolate today, a not too rare occurrence sadly, but I'm a lot better than I was a few months back thankfully.

Why is it just so damn tasty
                                                        The "quotation marks" were there to single out the word, "sugar", to avoid "sugar" you would want a pretty basic diet.

I agree with the addiction side, nicotine and the sugar high will for most be the same, a psychological more than physiological addiction.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                          Just had dinner with three Chinese colleagues in Ha Lin on Capel St. Existence of 'the secret Chinese menu' duly confirmed.

The bastards.
                                                          Knowing Chinese people is excellent for reasons like that. Food is great, isn't it?
                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

The "quotation marks" were there to single out the word, "sugar", to avoid "sugar" you would want a pretty basic diet.

I agree with the addiction side, nicotine and the sugar high will for most be the same, a psychological more than physiological addiction.
                                                            Avoiding all sugar is obviously extremely difficult, and not what I'd aim to do even when actively avoiding it, but the obvious things like chocolate, desserts if out and general 'treats' are very hard for me personally.

Obviously pints of beer are loaded with it too, but that's non negotiable every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                              Is it like a macrobiotic diet then or something? Their food makes you feel so fucking good but is too much effort.

Depends on the person obviously, some people find it hard to stay off even when they do. My mother is one of those, whereas my sister would have just quit and that was that.

Wish I smoked, the smoking area is the place to be from my experience.

Thank you for allowing me to reach out to you about this exciting opportunity to say that word can fuck off.

I am getting contacted by people like "Hero" recruitment and people looking for coding ninjas and shit. DIAF.
                                                              If you have ever spent time with someone with a chronic lung condition gasping for breath smoking would lose some of its allure.
                                                              Listen we are all doomed but its the quality of life in the last 15-20 years that matter imo.
                                                              Was watching a bbc show on diabetes and it was scary.
                                                              People getting multiple amputations starting at the toes all the way past the knees.
                                                              Its going to drain the nhs budget as cases and treatments sky rocket im sure will be the same in Ireland.
                                                              People getting stomachs stapled trying to reduce weight having no will power to stop eating junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                If you have ever spent time with someone with a chronic lung condition gasping for breath smoking would lose some of its allure.
                                                                Listen we are all doomed but its the quality of life in the last 15-20 years that matter imo.
                                                                Was watching a bbc show on diabetes and it was scary.
                                                                People getting multiple amputations starting at the toes all the way past the knees.
                                                                Its going to drain the nhs budget as cases and treatments sky rocket im sure will be the same in Ireland.
                                                                People getting stomachs stapled trying to reduce weight having no will power to stop eating junk.
                                                                Oh no I don't actually want to smoke, smoking is retarded. Watched my grandmother die from smoking years after she had stopped, that was pretty horrible. (Not cancer - it can get you in other ways too)

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                  Its a replacement for nexus 7 tablet i was looking, am sorted for phones for next year at least

Add up to 200gb storage, Google play store is easily added. Stick Kodi on it and sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                    Knowing Chinese people is excellent for reasons like that. Food is great, isn't it?
                                                                    Chinese lad I know just tries to sell me shit electronics and wants to bet on everything.

Comment

The wife is getting random pop up ads when using the Facebook app on her one plus two. Malwarebytes scan comes up empty. Only started happening today she says and she hasn't installed any new apps. Any ideas for what to do other than stop using it? I'm out of suggestions for her anyhow.

Comment

Uplift...

Am I the only one here ?
                                                                        No but it's my own fault,signed one little ant TTIP petition and now they are spamming me non stop re things I don't give a fuck about.
                                                                        That's the last time I try to make a difference

Comment

The wife is getting random pop up ads when using the Facebook app on her one plus two. Malwarebytes scan comes up empty. Only started happening today she says and she hasn't installed any new apps. Any ideas for what to do other than stop using it? I'm out of suggestions for her anyhow.
                                                                          Too early To get rid of her and try something else ?
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Conte in Gomorrah kind of made me want to take up vaping

Comment

Conte in Gomorrah kind of made me want to take up vaping
                                                                              Great manager though.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                Great manager though.
                                                                                I admire you're resilience in times like these..i may need to book a few weeks away.

The thing is, they dont see it...those last few pages....
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Some noise at MLB playoff game.

Comment

I admire you're resilience in times like these..i may need to book a few weeks away.

The thing is, they dont see it...those last few pages....
                                                                                    Sure I should be in charge of the planet m8 but here we are.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Uplift...

Am I the only one here ?
                                                                                          I googled it too. A load of bras came up, so I went down that rabbit hole instead

Avoiding all sugar is obviously extremely difficult, and not what I'd aim to do even when actively avoiding it, but the obvious things like chocolate, desserts if out and general 'treats' are very hard for me personally.

Obviously pints of beer are loaded with it too, but that's non negotiable every now and then.
                                                                                          There's very little sugar in beer. Heineken, Tiger Beer etc, probably <1g of sugar per pint.
                                                                                          Knock your self out

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                            Been to loads of games there when the place is like a morgue. Can get seriously noisy when its full.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                              About three years ago the honourable DrZuut posted a link to a fantastic documentary series about physics (loads of stuff by Jim Al-Kalilli, for example).

Feel the time is right to jump into a new entertaining documentary series where you feel you've learned something by the end. Thinking maybe something history - ancient or medieval not those fecking World Wars - any ideas? Ideally something with the production qualities of BBC or HBO rather than some dude in a basement on youtube.
                                                                                              Don't know if it fits the bill but the ESPN series on OJ Simpson is fantastic.

Comment

Uplift...

Am I the only one here ?
                                                                                                I only know it because the recruiters say it at least 15 times a phonecall.
                                                                                                => More money than now
                                                                                                Wonder if new place will allow bullshit bingo actually.

Comment

Wonderfully illogical moment from the Independent this morning. Two editorial pieces:

1) argues that the government shouldn't yield to populism in terms of wage pressures due to the prospect of sterling / Brexit having negative connotations for economic growth

2) argues the Central Bank should relax lending rules (which would be an inflationary move - including, yes, wages) using populist and emotive sentences such as "If the Central Bank regards locking a whole swathe of young people out of the market and removing the dream of home ownership from their grasp, then it should take a bow, for the measures have been a resounding success - for investors and speculators alike".

The last bit is my favourite. Ireland, where people who can't manage a 20% deposit consider themselves potential property speculators. 🙄
                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                                    Woke up in the middle of the night and watched the 2 extra innings. Bottom of the 11th and orioles change the pitcher. cue two base hits and a homerun for the bluejays. place went mental.

Comment

About three years ago the honourable DrZuut posted a link to a fantastic documentary series about physics (loads of stuff by Jim Al-Kalilli, for example).

Feel the time is right to jump into a new entertaining documentary series where you feel you've learned something by the end. Thinking maybe something history - ancient or medieval not those fecking World Wars - any ideas? Ideally something with the production qualities of BBC or HBO rather than some dude in a basement on youtube.
                                                                                                      If you haven't watched The Ascent of Man now would be a good time to before they remake it.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Everything comes back into fashion eventually. Good old nuclear war panic is back
                                                                                                        As international tensions mount over Syria, Russian state media and officials have begun preparing the country for the terrifying possibility of nuclear war with the West.“Schizophrenics from America

As international tensions mount over Syria, Russian state media and officials have begun preparing the country for the terrifying possibility of nuclear war with the West.

Things definitely ramping up though, that date rape drugging of US diplomats story too .

Can anyone actually coherently explain in a paragraph wtf is going on in Syria and why. Genuinely haven't a clue,but I imagine that's the way it's supposed to be

Comment

...

Comment

Very convenient timing on the leak of info re Senior Gardai ganging up to destroy a whistleblower. The gloves are off

Comment

Everything comes back into fashion eventually. Good old nuclear war panic is back
                                                                                                              As international tensions mount over Syria, Russian state media and officials have begun preparing the country for the terrifying possibility of nuclear war with the West.“Schizophrenics from America

As international tensions mount over Syria, Russian state media and officials have begun preparing the country for the terrifying possibility of nuclear war with the West.

Things definitely ramping up though, that date rape drugging of US diplomats story too .

Can anyone actually coherently explain in a paragraph wtf is going on in Syria and why. Genuinely haven't a clue,but I imagine that's the way it's supposed to be
                                                                                                              Civil war broke out after the Arab spring to oust the evil dictator Assad. Rebels started fighting the regime, and whilst that was happening ISIS crossed the border from IRAQ, helped the rebels here and there and took control of a massive swathe of eastern and central Syria (which Assad couldn't protect). The west is on the rebels side and bombs ISIS, Russia is on Assad's side and bombs the shit out of the rebels (and civilians as the rebels are in the cities).

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                I only know it because the recruiters say it at least 15 times a phonecall.
                                                                                                                => More money than now
                                                                                                                Wonder if new place will allow bullshit bingo actually.
                                                                                                                Is calling it a "raise" not trendy enough

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                  I'll allow the artist formerly known as G*ll*gan-Bl*ck to field this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                    Raise - more money in same job.
                                                                                                                    Uplift - more money to move jobs.

Language is a beautiful thing.
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Currently two for two in going 'wtf is that' when the reason for winning this year's nobel prizes have been announced.
                                                                                                                      Deets?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                        Raise - more money in same job.
                                                                                                                        Uplift - more money to move jobs.

Language is a beautiful thing.
                                                                                                                        Fuck off ya poncy gimp.

Comment

This is the crux of the why.

http://www.news.com.au/world/middle-...e280b63a9afb74
                                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X