X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
    British people can travel as freely in Ireland as we can in Britain due to
    agreement from before 1973

Apparently we going to just revert to that as it never went away, all the talk so far points to that

Can't see EU trying to change that, especially because of the NIron problems it would cause

So we should go back to the old agreement but having to show passport on entry to the mainland imo
    Apparently this was just an assumption by the Brits and is not true
    Whatever it means to living here, the NIron border is now up in the air SP question style

Sur it will grand, and if not, hopefully the Brits kick me out and I'l go live in Italy or the Netherlands or the likes

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      I didn't mind living with the French last time. I tried to fully integrate as much as possible (work through French where I could, speaking French when out socially etc).
      I'm trying to do this in portuguese, its a lot tougher than expected.

Comment

I didn't mind living with the French last time. I tried to fully integrate as much as possible (work through French where I could, speaking French when out socially etc).
        Originally posted by Trippie View Post
        I'm trying to do this in portuguese, its a lot tougher than expected.
        Had planned to this with Maltese too, but it's such a difficult language to learn. The locals are no help either because EVERYONE just speaks to you in English so you won't ever really get a conversation going. It's also funny at a poker table when 2/3 Maltese guys will just start speaking English to each other. You end up picking up bits of Italian at the poker table too!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          Had planned to this with Maltese too, but it's such a difficult language to learn. The locals are no help either because EVERYONE just speaks to you in English so you won't ever really get a conversation going. It's also funny at a poker table when 2/3 Maltese guys will just start speaking English to each other. You end up picking up bits of Italian at the poker table too!
          I spent about a week before arriving working on my opening address at work. had about 2 minutes of talk prepared, get there and they start in english and talk in english for 20 minutes before its time for me to speak and then i froze and coulndn't bring myself to speak portuguese. Started out talking about being ambitious and ended up with sounding like I wanted to take over the world.
          Last edited by Trippie; 04-10-16, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Well school will be about €400 for the two kids (assuming a private Catholic one as these are bilingual; a small bit cheaper for a public sector maybe €300) which covers meals and 8am to 7pm. School starts at around age of 3, but 2 is possible (petit petit section). That also covers Wednesday school, petit vacances camp (every eight weeks the kids are off regular school for two weeks), and summer camp which is open all summer. You get about €150 of that back from gov in child benefit. So thats €250 per month for the two kids and no other care expense for any day of the year.

The key benefit though with a family is that you'll probably pay no income tax, just social charges. Social charges are about 25% of everything earned and cover health and pension. Income tax kicks in quite low, but the bands are tripled for a family with two kids. My colleague and his wife paid about €6k income tax last year on their approx €100k combined salary due to having two kids, a total of 31% which isn't bad.

Plus, if you have a CDI (permanent contract) you can get a house on 1.75% interest fixed for 25 years. So you are saving loads there too. Public transport and healthcare have huge savings too.

Looking beyond the lowish pay it adds up to a decent package. But, eh, as someone said up the thread you do have to live with the French
            And you want to move back to Ireland.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                And you want to move back to Ireland.
                Question for you RDIII (or anyone else). What price a move abroad yourself? How much more net income would it take for you to up sticks to France for example?

Before becoming a Dad I could have answered this question reasonably easily and it was mainly age and opportunity dependent but it's very hard to answer now...
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Plus, if you have a CDI (permanent contract) you can get a house on 1.75% interest fixed for 25 years. So you are saving loads there too.savings too.
                  That's pretty sweet. Paying back $247k on a $200k loan over 25 years, $824 a month.
                  Why can't we have that? Regulation?
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Phone posted yesterday looks great but I need something for a present by next week.

Whats the best sub €200 phone I can get in Cardphone warehouse etc?

These two look OK?

HTC Desire 530 http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop...nes/desire-530

Samsung Galaxy J3 http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/shop...ones/galaxy-j3
                    Last edited by Jibzzzz; 04-10-16, 13:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                      Phone posted yesterday looks great but I need something for a present by next week.

Whats the best sub €200 phone I can get in Cardphone warehouse etc?
                      Moto G 3rd gen or the HTC Desire 530, €150-160 and both good value
                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                        That's pretty sweet. Paying back $247k on a $200k loan over 25 years, $824 a month.
                        Why can't we have that? Regulation?
                        Competition and lack of it.

No CEO of a major European bank is going to risk their position opening a branch in Ireland for a long number of years. Irish banks need to rebuild their balance sheets asap and the regulator is encouraging them so the consumer protection part of their remit ranks below rebuilding their bank regulation reputation.
                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                          Moto G 3rd gen or the HTC Desire 530, €150-160 and both good value
                          Cheers m8.

Thing HTC Desire is a winner @ €160. Looks perfect.

Comment

Who provides that loan? The gov?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                              Question for you RDIII (or anyone else). What price a move abroad yourself? How much more net income would it take for you to up sticks to France for example?

Before becoming a Dad I could have answered this question reasonably easily and it was mainly age and opportunity dependent but it's very hard to answer now...
                              How much was it when younger? Did it matter where? Could triple earnings in the US and still am not too inclined to go there.

Comment

Speaking of barcelona, does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for it?

Comment

Comment

That has to be loss making though?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        How much was it when younger? Did it matter where? Could triple earnings in the US and still am not too inclined to go there.
                                        It definitely matters where to me...

In my 20's Id have gone to London for the same money and greater opportunities. In my 30's I'd have been looking for a 50% premium. Now I'd probably want a 150% uplift for London and 100% for somewhere in the South. Unlikely I'd go anywhere else. The gas thing is not's out of this world to imagine it happening either...

Probably somewhat similar uplifts required for the States east coast but another 30-50% for New York and the west coast.

France would be a hard one to calculate. Probably want a 30% premium in my 20's as the opportunities were less than London for me. Nowadays it might be about the same as London...

Comment

Comment

Guess a huge part would be your social network, or lack thereof. We didn't really have one in Dublin, so weren't missing out on anything by moving. Its probably the key thing when a family starts about whether you would go or stay.

Can't imagine its about more net income though at the family stage of life, much more about other aspects.
                                            Well that's the game isn't it! Put a value on the other aspects at the family stage of life...

Comment

In my 20's Id have gone to London for the same money and greater opportunities. In my 30's I'd have been looking for a 50% premium. Now I'd probably want a 150% uplift for London and 100% for somewhere in the South. Unlikely I'd go anywhere else. The gas thing is not's out of this world to imagine it happening either...

Probably somewhat similar uplifts required for the States east coast but another 30-50% for New York and the west coast.

France would be a hard one to calculate. Probably want a 30% premium in my 20's as the opportunities were less than London for me. Nowadays it might be about the same as London...
                                              lol, that's me well and truly fucked. i just move for the adventure!

Comment

Its definitely not as the banks are highly profitable and delighted to offer mortgages. I'm just not sure why its not loss-making Presumably whatever funding they have is at a much lower cost.
                                                Sounds mad would love to see the workings on it; how they cover the funding, nevermind admin and any loss provision.

Comment

hmm. 150% is a little more than I'm shooting for.

Comment

True. My wife worked in a French hospital during our time in Paris and really enjoyed it.

2 kids under 5. I'll have to look up the tax breaks.
                                                    Would recommend Malta to you, The English speaking schools and sunny weather. Even private healthcare is cheap if you don't want to go to the Mater Dei for free treatment. I used a private hospital and everything cost me €25!

School system starts at 2 years and 9 months and is free. There is summer school which costs €25 for the SUMMER. They have the breakfast club(Free) for those who start early but school starts at 8.30, so can get to work for a 9.00am start. There is after school clubs too.
                                                    Our daughter is very shy and was not great at her school in Ireland. She bounces off the (Free) school bus as happy as anything. She just loves it.

Private hospitals and public hospital for the wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Google photos

Their photo storage is amazing now. You can upload all the old smaller sizes to free storage share them with whoever you want and the search function is unreal names abstract terms places etc.
                                                      Great call on this SP, thanks a million. Exactly what I wanted.

Comment

On the vaping..... I have tried a few times to move onto it but found there was too much choice of what to buy and I don't understand all the talk of sub tanks and coils and temps and plumes and all that bollox.

I would love to find a set that gives me a decent throat hit with a menthol juice that needs minimal maintenance and set up.

Maybe I should just go to a shop and ask?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                              lol, that's me well and truly fucked. i just move for the adventure!
                                                              this.

I wish I had the brains to be able to quantify my $uplift based on location.

My uplift is quantified in %craic.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                On the vaping..... I have tried a few times to move onto it but found there was too much choice of what to buy and I don't understand all the talk of sub tanks and coils and temps and plumes and all that bollox.

I would love to find a set that gives me a decent throat hit with a menthol juice that needs minimal maintenance and set up.

The purple box in town is where I go when I forget to buy online and the guy is pretty sound. If you walk in with that discription and some cash he would sort you out or I am sure someone on here would do it for you.

I have an eleaf box with a nautilus mini tank at that is a pretty decent. The big nautilus tank will get you through most of a nights drinking with out needing to refill but is a fucker to open which is why I use the mini tank - heat from vaping cause a vacum apparently

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                    Would recommend Malta to you, The English speaking schools and sunny weather. Even private healthcare is cheap if you don't want to go to the Mater Dei for free treatment. I used a private hospital and everything cost me €25!

School system starts at 2 years and 9 months and is free. There is summer school which costs €25 for the SUMMER. They have the breakfast club(Free) for those who start early but school starts at 8.30, so can get to work for a 9.00am start. There is after school clubs too.
                                                                    Our daughter is very shy and was not great at her school in Ireland. She bounces off the (Free) school bus as happy as anything. She just loves it.

Private hospitals and public hospital for the wife!
                                                                    Lies, all lies. Come to France. Don't listen to this Maltese shill who is clearly been funded by surreptitious sources.

The offer is/should be coming from our new parent company so I'll be tied to their locations..

This is my move to director level which I cant get internally here due to the flat structure. Haven't really tested the open market yet as they paid for my masters and I have some loyalty.. Whether they return that loyalty is another question.

Comment

Gardaí who followed a driver whose car swerved erratically across a road on St Valentine’s night found him drunk with his trousers undone.

Gardai stopped Melvyn Russell and his wife after they noticed his Renault Laguna car swerve near the village of Drumkeen in Co Donegal.

Russell (42), and his wife Donna had been out for a romantic meal earlier that night, had returned because Mrs Russell was feeling unwell, but went out again to see a friend who was living alone.

On his way to his home at Trentabuoy in Drumkeen, Russell was arrested by Gardaí on suspicion of drink-driving just after 4.30am on February 15th, 2014.

Gardaí had followed the vehicle and found it pulled into a dead end road at Stralongford.

Garda Michael Kilcoyne said he spoke to Russell and got the smell of drink from him, he was unsteady on his feet, his trousers were undone and he was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving.

Garda Kilcoyne told Russell he was being arrested but the accused man became annoyed and asked Gardaí if they “had nothing better to be doing?”

Garda Sinéad Kelly gave evidence that she noticed Russell’s “pants were open” and his wife was in the car beside him when the couple were stopped.

Mr Russell told Letterkenny District Court he had been drinking, but denied that he had been driving erratically. He denied that his trousers had been open or undone when he was stopped by Gardaí claiming: “My trousers were not undone – my buckle was broken on my belt.”

The father-of-three said he was also annoyed that his wife had been left alone, a mile from home and forced to walk home by Gardaí.

Russell was fined €350 for drink-driving and disqualified from driving for two years. The dangerous driving charge was struck out.
                                                                      “My trousers were not undone – my buckle was broken on my belt.”

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

How hard are cigarettes to give up? Smoked for 3 weeks when I was 12 and realised what a retarded habit it was. Both my parents and two sisters have given up only mother has an e cigarette. I am an anti smoker stinks and smokers smokers seem to just throw butts everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                          How hard are cigarettes to give up? Smoked for 3 weeks when I was 12 and realised what a retarded habit it was. Both my parents and two sisters have given up only mother has an e cigarette. I am an anti smoker stinks and smokers smokers seem to just throw butts everywhere.
                                                                          Curious about that too. In the main group of people that I go out with everyone smokes bar one person who vapes continuously. Just seems like giving yourself an another thirst.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post

NicNicNic should be able to sort you out on this when he sees the post. Can't really go wrong with the basic eLeaf. Nothing fidgety, good hit.

What Hitch said, its gotten quite stupid with some of the stuff available now, fucking cloud chasers, jesus! I still use/buy the original isticks and the simple k1 tanks, can't really go wrong with them.

mod
                                                                            Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes Ireland Galway only the best brands as Joyetech Smoktech Kanger Vision Boge Dekang Liqua Provari quit smoking with us

tank
                                                                            Quit Smoking with Electronic Cigarettes Ireland Galway only the best brands as Joyetech Smoktech Kanger Vision Boge Dekang Liqua Provari quit smoking with us

replacement heads

if your buying here, use code irishvape for 10% discount

Experience the Intense Refreshment of Extreme Menthol E-Liquid. Order now and treat yourself to a truly delightful sensation.

this is some tac if you like menthol

Comment

It goes Heroin, Coke, Nicotine.

It's just too easy to quit quitting since you can easily buy smokes. The cravings never really go away for lots of people too, just weaken. Not looking forward to process.

Comment

Not quite as difficult as trolling to give up

Comment

hmm. 150% is a little more than I'm shooting for.
                                                                                  That's what I'd need to get. Doesn't mean I would get it. No one has offered me anything.

Assuming the wife takes a hit on her income, we lose our family support network (probably need a nanny) and i have to work harder to justify and earn the extra dough I don't think 150% more for London is excessive.

It's a very expensive place to have a family and a good standard of living.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                    this.

I wish I had the brains to be able to quantify my $uplift based on location.

My uplift is quantified in %craic.
                                                                                    Come back to me in ten years time with a wife and child in tow. I said in my 20s id have moved for no uplift.

Comment

I still occasionally get cravings, usually a day or two after I've been exposed to smoke. Comes in a big wave out of nowhere and disappears after a few minutes. Very annoying.
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

the google pixel prices are scandalous

this was cool
                                                                                        As Dinesh waits anxiously for the live stream to begin, Gilfoyle has other plans.Missed the keynote? Check out a few new things made by Google at https://goo...
                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 04-10-16, 17:54.
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Come back to me in ten years time with a wife and child in tow. I said in my 20s id have moved for no uplift.
                                                                                          guilty as charged. no uplift

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                            the google pixel prices are scandalous

l]
                                                                                            €800-1100. Get the fucking boat. Scandalous. They were so fair with the first and second generation Nexus. Gone to shite now.

Comment

They've decided to go Apple.

Buhbye Google. Hello Xiaomi http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_416105.html

Comment

I know but I'm hittin the big 30 soon. Your frequent posts, while timely reminders of the things I should be thinking, are also timely reminders of how I absolutely dont have my shit together.

So... Thanks!... I guess!
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                  They've decided to go Apple.

Buhbye Google. Hello Xiaomi http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_416105.html
                                                                                                  OnePlus, made wait for the four
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                    I know but I'm hittin the big 30 soon. Your frequent posts, while timely reminders of the things I should be thinking, are also timely reminders of how I absolutely dont have my shit together.

So... Thanks!... I guess!
                                                                                                    My thoughts exactly everytime i see those posts!
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      OnePlus, made wait for the four
                                                                                                      Xiaomi for phones too no?

Last edited by Emmet; 04-10-16, 18:28.

Comment

Took me a long time to figure out my 'London Number' vs my 'Second Cheapest place in the UK to Live' Number.

Wasn't easy to calculate what parity would look like!

Comment

My nexus 7 is nearing end of useful life, Shield K1 seems best valooo . Are there any other worthy contenders?
                                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Heard it first from laz. http://entertainment.ie/trending/new...ing/385999.htm

Anyone know where the building on the right is? I like it.

Comment

That's what I'd need to get. Doesn't mean I would get it. No one has offered me anything.

Assuming the wife takes a hit on her income, we lose our family support network (probably need a nanny) and i have to work harder to justify and earn the extra dough I don't think 150% more for London is excessive.

It's a very expensive place to have a family and a good standard of living.
                                                                                                              Think you're on the money tbh. I was offered a role at one point and asked to come up with a number I'd move for. After doing all the calculations I came to the conclusion that they would have to double my compensation package and/or pay for my accommodation and maybe only give me 1.5 times what I was on in Dublin.

London is far more expensive than Dublin, especially for accommodation.
                                                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                                                My nexus 7 is nearing end of useful life, Shield K1 seems best valooo . Are there any other worthy contenders?
                                                                                                                Ordered from here, awaiting delivery

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...673979702.html
                                                                                                                The hivemind has decided that the above is the official goto phone for ipb.
                                                                                                                (The goto laptop is actually a chromebook.)

Might create an updated list so that we can stop thinking. The singularity is coming.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 04-10-16, 19:24.

Comment

Grand Canal Dock?

Comment

Just had dinner with three Chinese colleagues in Ha Lin on Capel St. Existence of 'the secret Chinese menu' duly confirmed.

The bastards.
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Google on barrow street. I used to work on the third floor of the building 2nd from the right. Nice view overlooking the water.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                        Grand Canal Dock?
                                                                                                                        Yeah, the tall building is Googles Dock head office as seen from Spin103s office.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                                          Grand Canal Dock?
                                                                                                                          According to the writing on the building beside it, it is Grand Mill Quay which is down that part of the city alright, on Barrow Street.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X