This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    How many of you who switched to vaping are still at it?

Anyone move away to giving up nicotine including vape altogether?

Think there was a big switch here at one stage maybe early 2015 with afair RichieM, Lazare, SatNav, me, Oleras(?), AJ(?) all moving over. Guess there was a few more too.
    Yep still vaping 6mg. Last smoked cigarette was Good Friday 2013 though had been off them fairly consistently for about 5 years before that (tended to just smoke on holidays, weekends away, XMas week etc).
    Vape a lot but always amazed how little liquid I use, 30ml seems to consistently last 21-28 days.

Comment

Westworld is class
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Wasn't very inspired by the lineup this year tbh.
        Agreed. Fringe wasn't great either imo. It seems like it's passe to have actual plays on in theatre festivals at the moment without music or dance or something. Found myself in the Samuel Beckett last Thursday watching a documentary film on an old couple who stayed living in exclusion zone around Chernobyl. Counted as theatre because they built little replicas of their farm which they put under the screen.

Only thing I've seen in either festival that I thought was good was a production of The Aeneid by Collapsing Horse, which was incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
          Westworld is class
          Is there just the one episode so far?

Looking for a decent detective police procedural... would have to be fairly recent cause I've probably seen everything older thats any use.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Westworld is class
            JJ Abrams still being boycotted in my world.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Was actually going to ask a similar question on this today... have noticed from the sample size of my work, the offices close by and people I know, of those I have seen vaping over the last couple of years the number who are not back smoking is zero. A few are still vaping part time and I still have not come across a single person who says they have quit nicotine through vaping.

Edit Good stuff
              Seems like BBV is doing much better than the real world. Looking at the number of shops on the go there must be loads of people vaping, it mustn't be as visible as smoking
              My experience would be polar opposite to this. four direct family, and many friends are off cigarettes fully, purely through vaping. I must of assisted over twenty people get started vaping, I can think of three of these who still smoke. I'm confident I'll get 2 of those over to the dark side fully yet.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                Quarry is all kinds of good, moody, film noir and a great soundtrack, has heaps of potential.
                @SP.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

I actually dropped and smashed the tank of my vape yesterday while in town having a few pints.

It's just dawning on me now that while I was annoyed by it and really missed it, I never thought of having a cigarette. They seem like two totally different things now.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Looking for a decent detective police procedural... would have to be fairly recent cause I've probably seen everything older thats any use.
                    Just watched the first episode of Berlin Station. Surprised there was a bit of German dialogue in a US show. Too early to pass any judgement, though it might be worth a spin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Station_(TV_series)
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I have one friend who really needs to knock it on the head and is back rolling after more than a year vaping which is very disappointing.
                      I don't like to nag him and haven't said anything this time, yet, but feel I should. Why wait until he's on a mask in hospital again
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        It's just dawning on me now that while I was annoyed by it and really missed it, I never thought of having a cigarette. They seem like two totally different things now.
                        I've found that the strangest part of it. While I'm obviously still a nicotine addict, it's just not in the same ballpark as cigarettes. I literally couldn't watch even a 90 minute movie in a cinema without going out for a cig. Had to have one last thing at night, and first thing in the morning, and sometimes one in between.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Think there was a big switch here at one stage maybe early 2015 with afair RichieM, Lazare, SatNav, me, Oleras(?), AJ(?) all moving over. Guess there was a few more too.
                          Not sure if it counts but I bought one of those things out of a Statoil garage, you know the "electronic" one that looked like a cig, 3 and a half years ago. It ran out after two days so I bought a patch. Wore them for two weeks and forgot to put it on going to work one night. Haven't touched a cig since.

So many other changes in my life since then. All good ones. But that's by far the best.

Comment

Westworld is class
                            Amazing 1st episode, definitely some of the best acting I ever seen!!

The shadow line was 2011 but was decent that people might of missed

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            Don't let a negative take up space in your mind at the expense
                            Of a postive

Best 1st episode of a show, I've seen in a while!!

Comment

Hi m8. I quit smoking using the vape, then quit vaping by phasing it out. It was easy once I figured it out*.

*took me four years to figure it out.
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

If and only if Westworld gets credible reviews on its very completion I'll watch it. But in all likelihood like Lost or films like Super 8, it will have hugely suspenseful beginning that he has absolutely no ability to consolidate. He's pretty flawed and can't see it changing.
                                Profit before people.

Comment

People who vape indoors and produce clouds bigger than the ones in the sky deserve punches to the nose, mouth and lungs.

Comment

The general rule is no-one is tracking this money down as long as it's smallish. It's also a bit of a pain to declare.
                                    Roughly 200 a week(paid bi-weekly though), will just not declare it and hope so sure.
                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                      Roughly 200 a week(paid bi-weekly though), will just not declare it and hope so sure.
                                      Thats not smallish imo!

Comment

Worked 32 hours in a 40 hour period over the weekend and slept for 2 of the 40. Not sure why I didn't work the last few years but it's a grand laugh and having money is handy so it is!

Plus I won a bet!

With one of the jobs I have to declare my income and do my own taxes. Can I do this online on revenue site or do I have to go in?
                                        Is the other one PAYE ? If you were on the social, don't be doing both unless you sign off.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Is the other one PAYE ? If you were on the social, don't be doing both unless you sign off.
                                          Yeah, don't do part time legally, collect via sheets and part time illegally. They go after that and single mothers claiming shit more than anything.

Which is retarded as they'd save more going after your standard dole collector whose playing the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                            Thats not smallish imo!
                                            Yeah I don't consider it small either, but I'm thinking if I don't declare it and they get onto me I'll just pay whatever it is that I owe from my savings . Is this a sound strategy?

Other jobs are paye alright and taxes sorted by accounting departments.
                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Yeah I don't consider it small either, but I'm thinking if I don't declare it and they get onto me I'll just pay whatever it is that I owe from my savings . Is this a sound strategy?
                                              Not sure tbh but I'd imagine the employer will be pissed when/if it comes back to them

I'd only act like I'm being paid under the counter when being paid under the counter

Others will know ins and outs but id just sort it if I was you
                                              + what Ole said

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                Not sure tbh but I'd imagine the employer will be pissed when/if it comes back to them

I'd only act like I'm being paid under the counter when being paid under the counter

Others will know ins and outs but id just sort it if I was you
                                                + what Ole said
                                                Nah it's like I am self-employed with how they are dealing with things so it'll never come back on the employer, just wondering if I don't declare it will anything other than a large accumulated bill come my way(if they add interest or stuff like that if I don't sort it).
                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Interest charged per day on late payment. If revenue raise the issue with you or comes about due to audit possible penalty charge also.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Headed out for a run a little over an hour ago. Jesus what a beautiful morning. Hit the absolute sweetspot for dawn break. Pitch dark leaving, within five mins the sky was this awesome turquoise colour. Got to the halfway point and there was like this big wide ball of fire taking up the whole horizon, houses all glowing red on the way back.

Natural drugs lads.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Exciting couple of weeks coming up!

Standard Barcelona touristy stuff this weekend, aforementioned church worth visiting Sagrada Familia and Park Guel then I've got Barcelona v Depor the weekend after, then the part Im most looking forward to... home for 6 days then back to YYC for Dylan Moran and a massive Halloween party.

Craic.
                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

On the vaping thing, I've been at it for about two years now with thanks to Michelle for getting me set up with a decent kit.

I still tend to get a box if I'm on the beer but in the last couple of months even that has waned a bit as I seem to find them more horrible as time goes by. If it wasn't for menthols I doubt I would smoke anywhere near as many cigarettes as before, probably the sooner the better they ban those in that case.

I vape 6mg and have done for a good while but will try to switch to 3mg and then 0mg in the next few months. It would be nice to stop altogether, although I enjoy vaping for the most part I suppose.

Comment

Keane what was the name of that money tracking app you used?
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sherlock? The us one with Johnny Lee Millar and Lucy Liu.
                                                                    It's pretty good
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

give it 5 minutes and if you are not hooked, bin it

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                        Hi m8. I quit smoking using the vape, then quit vaping by phasing it out. It was easy once I figured it out*.

*took me four years to figure it out.
                                                                        quit smoking for the vape.
                                                                        Ended up constantly breaking the fucking things in me pocket while out.
                                                                        so gave it all up.
                                                                        Have had smokes the odd time while out for a pint. But have phased that out once deadpidgeon came along

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                          Keane what was the name of that money tracking app you used?
                                                                          YNAB

Comment

Three weeks into the portugal job. First two weeks were spent in a tiny studio airbnb which was above an undeground gay sex club. I don't know how people can enjoy city life, the amount of dog shit on the ground(mine has trained himself to back up into holes in walls and look like he is interested in something else) , noise of the cars and just general grimeyness bothered me. Moved into an incredible modern house in the countryside close to ericeira beach which is a big surfing beach and the quality of life in the tiny town of about 40 is amazing.

image sharing

Comment

I'd say your grand not declaring. But then again you prob wouldn't pay much tax anyway if say total pay between all the jobs is in a, say, 20-25k bracket
                                                                              Don't do this. Talk to revenue and ask what is simplest way to deal with this. One evening a year a bit of online form filling and an electronic transfer and you are done IMO.
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sherlock? The us one with Johnny Lee Millar and Lucy Liu.
                                                                                It's pretty good
                                                                                Elementary. It is actually pretty decent and still improving I think.

Comment

give it 5 minutes and if you are not hooked, bin it
                                                                                  That's the problem though. Abrams is exceptionally and undeniably good at 'the hook', but mediocre at other key aspects of multi-season shows.
                                                                                  Meh, I'm sure I'll watch it at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    Elementary. It is actually pretty decent and still improving I think.
                                                                                    christ, not like me getting that wrong.
                                                                                    Fecking kids, fecking teething.

Comment

That's the problem though. Abrams is exceptionally and undeniably good at 'the hook', but mediocre at other key aspects of multi-season shows.
                                                                                      Meh, I'm sure I'll watch it at some stage.
                                                                                      He's goes out, chats up and brings girls over to the table, and then just stands there awkwardly until they leave, thoroughly unfulfilled.

Comment

They're not even paid well here - a senior nurse with 10 years experience is on €28,000. It just seems to be a pride in what they are doing. Really don't know how you could recreate such a system. I suspect unfortunately - based on how Irish GPs organisations responded about the feared 'deluge' of parents bringing their sick kids to meet the doctor after the introduction of free care for kids under 6 - that Ireland is going to go down the UK route of 'its free but you feel like a burden'. And those silly messages about not bringing your kid to the GP if its not serious. That should be: always bring your kid to the doctor if you don't know what's going on. That's their job. Don't worry if this time its a waste of a trip, its better to be on the safe side. Yet they run these campaigns to make you feel bad about using the doctor - especially in the UK anyway. Don't know how you change that attitude though. It seems to start in Irish unis where all the training and focus is about medical treatment but very little about 'care'.

/rambling a bit.
                                                                                        Am considering emigrating again (wife is a nurse). Nursing wages in certain EU countries compared to Ireland is a shock.

Comment

Still Vaping away myself, odd cigarette when drunk or when I was on holidays and dropped and smashed both the tanks I brought on the first night. Down to 6mg a while back but dont know if I would give up altogether - I quite like it in the evenings especially and my house smells of fruit or mint which is nice.

Comment

...

Comment

In 10 days, oct13 i will be 4 years smoke free, no vape for me.

Used champix at the start but a week later, oct 22 i was under the knife.

As good a reason as you like to remain smoke free.
                                                                                              I gave up smoking just before my first son was born in 2005 but relapsed after 2 years and ended up back smoking for the summer but then would give up come september. In 2012 started smoking again in May, but the first few were so disgusting i told myself i'd never smoke again come the end of the summer. Haven't had a cigarette since then.

back smoking joints though but only if they're pure and no tobacco, and have a little one hitter which works a treat.

Comment

...

Comment

Do you still vape Hitch, you were one of bigger supporters of it but unfortunately always seemed to be lapsing?
                                                                                                  Is vaping a thing in France?

Comment

Current Dowling health treatments in France:

1. Son four times a week physio to get rid of phlegm in his chest
                                                                                                    2. Wife two times a week massage to get rid of some lingering post-pregnancy back stuff
                                                                                                    3. Me finished up about ten dentist visits with root canal surgery yesterday

None of it in anyway serious, except that the kid might have asthma (which is manageable enough), but its more that every single bit of this is free. Even down to the mouthwash. And people who do this are absolutely lovely about it. The physio even met Max on a Sunday morning because she felt it would be good if he had a few days in a row of physio. The dental surgery yesterday seemed like a five-star hotel and everyone treated you brilliantly. I have (obligatory) private health insurance paid by work, but everyone in the country would be treated the exact same.

I don't know how you create such a system. The UK has badly failed, because at each point of using their system the care is fairly low quality and you feel like a burden. Ireland is obviously a horrific basket case. The little bit of free care would make you think you're a beggar on the street lucky enough to see someone. You can pay to be treated better than others which is a terrible healthcare principal.

They're not even paid well here - a senior nurse with 10 years experience is on €28,000. It just seems to be a pride in what they are doing. Really don't know how you could recreate such a system. I suspect unfortunately - based on how Irish GPs organisations responded about the feared 'deluge' of parents bringing their sick kids to meet the doctor after the introduction of free care for kids under 6 - that Ireland is going to go down the UK route of 'its free but you feel like a burden'. And those silly messages about not bringing your kid to the GP if its not serious. That should be: always bring your kid to the doctor if you don't know what's going on. That's their job. Don't worry if this time its a waste of a trip, its better to be on the safe side. Yet they run these campaigns to make you feel bad about using the doctor - especially in the UK anyway. Don't know how you change that attitude though. It seems to start in Irish unis where all the training and focus is about medical treatment but very little about 'care'.

/rambling a bit.
                                                                                                    Thats great and all but you still have to live with the french

Comment

They seem to really enjoy the job here though, if that's worth anything. Depending on whether you have kids the amount of tax breaks and payments adds loads so it might not be directly comparable.
                                                                                                      True. My wife worked in a French hospital during our time in Paris and really enjoyed it.

2 kids under 5. I'll have to look up the tax breaks.

Comment

I see FIFA want to make the World Cup 48 teams with a 32 team prelim round,16 teams go home ,16 go through to group stages to join 16 top seeds.
                                                                                                        Surely even AJ can't spin a convincing line that this is actually a great idea like he usually does?

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                                                          Thats great and all but you still have to live with the french
                                                                                                          that's very true in Paris and a few other places, but the Breton are a lovely bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                            I see FIFA want to make the World Cup 48 teams with a 32 team prelim round,16 teams go home ,16 go through to group stages to join 16 top seeds.
                                                                                                            Surely even AJ can't spin a convincing line that this is actually a great idea like he usually does?
                                                                                                            Sounds like something an infantino would come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                              No I pretty much hate it.

But if really wanted to make a case you could argue that all it does is replace the final set of playoffs. So instead of playing home and away v Bosnia in November to qualify you would now play a one-off match v Cameroon in the host country in the first week of June. So all it does is move the playoff fixture.

But would be pretty terrible to travel to Qatar or Australia or somewhere with only a guarantee of one match. How would you book tickets, flights, accommodation for the main tournament if you only know 3 days beforehand that you've qualified.

I doubt this idea will be a runner at all, probably just GI getting the actual concept of 48 to be accepted before coming up with a better structure (which will still be poor as 48 is awkward).

Comment

It is a bit of a gamble I suppose. Not something that Doug would be interested in.

lol! A very small saving given his current income level from a job that pays loads of other staff on a similar basis. Given Doug's employment history he'll probably owe nothing for 2016.

It's a very easy job for the Revenue to asks for all of the PPS numbers from the company paying him and then run a check across all the self employed staff.

So a small pay-off and a very easily traced income stream...there are better gambles to be had.
                                                                                                                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

...

Comment

Amazon banning the 'I got this amazing product for free here's my unbiased opinion it's class' reviews.

Amazon is making a significant change to its Community Guidelines, announced today, which will eliminate any incentivized reviews, except for those that

Comment

Unemployment below 8% - http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016...ment-rate-cso/

Comment

Stop trying to make France cool hitch, it ain't happening.

Comment

Well school will be about €400 for the two kids (assuming a private Catholic one as these are bilingual; a small bit cheaper for a public sector maybe €300) which covers meals and 8am to 7pm. School starts at around age of 3, but 2 is possible (petit petit section). That also covers Wednesday school, petit vacances camp (every eight weeks the kids are off regular school for two weeks), and summer camp which is open all summer. You get about €150 of that back from gov in child benefit. So thats €250 per month for the two kids and no other care expense for any day of the year.

The key benefit though with a family is that you'll probably pay no income tax, just social charges. Social charges are about 25% of everything earned and cover health and pension. Income tax kicks in quite low, but the bands are tripled for a family with two kids. My colleague and his wife paid about €6k income tax last year on their approx €100k combined salary due to having two kids, a total of 31% which isn't bad.

Plus, if you have a CDI (permanent contract) you can get a house on 1.75% interest fixed for 25 years. So you are saving loads there too. Public transport and healthcare have huge savings too.

Looking beyond the lowish pay it adds up to a decent package. But, eh, as someone said up the thread you do have to live with the French
                                                                                                                          I didn't mind living with the French last time. I tried to fully integrate as much as possible (work through French where I could, speaking French when out socially etc).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X