Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pdforra defence forces representatives pissed off because sailors not not getting paid extra for doing there job.
    Obv not been in sight of the irish coast is scary and unfair for them.
    Seeing as all they are doing is getting people traffickers rich and transporting illegal migrants ireland should just send in Irish ferries.

Comment

Any way to mitigate ticketmaster fees these days? Paying €11 to buy some tickets on a website irks me.

I'm surprised such a monopoly is going strong.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 07-10-15, 13:35.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Think the French get a bad rep for efficiency. When you compare them with Ireland their public sector seems ridic inefficient, but that seems to be because they do so so much more. Its easy to run the Irish social welfare system because your interaction with them is essentially nothing. I've no idea how France has set up a system that is able to manage all they provide.

Always felt (unfairly) in Ireland I was paying tax for other people. Don't mind that at all, its a necessary part of a fair system. But here you feel you get something really fcking decent for your tax dollars. The treatment of the pregnancy has really tipped me over on this. Have spent today interacting with various offices, hence the timing.
            Delighted that you got an heir to the throne, sipping wine in the sunshine and eating weird food.

Something tells me you are just in a good mood and put up with the bureaucracy rather than thinking it is great. Come back to me when you try and get your car taxed or get your new son put onto your Irish and your wifes Russian passports in a district passport office. That will be the true test of public sector efficiency.

Comment

Think the French get a bad rep for efficiency. When you compare them with Ireland their public sector seems ridic inefficient, but that seems to be because they do so so much more. Its easy to run the Irish social welfare system because your interaction with them is essentially nothing. I've no idea how France has set up a system that is able to manage all they provide.

Always felt (unfairly) in Ireland I was paying tax for other people. Don't mind that at all, its a necessary part of a fair system. But here you feel you get something really fcking decent for your tax dollars. The treatment of the pregnancy has really tipped me over on this. Have spent today interacting with various offices, hence the timing.
              calling Ireland efficient is a bit excessive no? they're fucking clueless and their IT systems still predates the ice age.

Certainly not calling France efficient either btw, but they're moving in the right direction even though it's a much more complex system and a population 15 times the size of irelands'

Comment

Using the fatherhood three days leave to catch up on reading, as little MTOD is sleeping mainly and being pleasant without needing help.

Not sure if it was Shrap who recommended, but finished first French (Belgian) grapic novel - Largo Winch No.1. Very good stuff.

Was translating each unknown word originally, but now just if the word is crucial to meaning of the event happening.

These graphic novels seem like great things altogether.

Largo Winch is great. Van Hamme did another series with a guy called Vance called XIII, loosely based on the same books the Bourne series are based on. Very good.

Please dig out the various comics by a guy called Marc Antoine Mathieu. Start from his first series (Julius Corentin Acquefacques). They're mindblowingly good!!

Comment

this has gone from 800 to 1700 since I moved out, lols. Couple years ago now but that is a quite small place really.

Find Houses For Rent in Donnycarney, Dublin. Search 1 Houses for rent in Donnycarney, Dublin on Daft.ie now.

Comment

Comment

Got given notice on Monday that the landlord wants their house back.

Fairly disastrous timing for each of the 3 of us currently living there, all for separate reasons.

Bleugh. Anyone want to buy a boatload of furniture?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Trying to return something I bought from the UK, package weighs 2.5kg, An Post quoted me about €30 for postage. Is there any better options that might cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Fairly disastrous timing for each of the 3 of us currently living there, all for separate reasons.

Exact same happened us in Dublin yesterday. Out by the end of the month. Pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Trying to return something I bought from the UK, package weighs 2.5kg, An Post quoted me about €30 for postage. Is there any better options that might cheaper?

also lol at denny posting in the other bbv
                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

does the company you bought from not have a carrier you can return it to?

Comment

Any good EII offerings around? Where do I even go looking for them?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                      Will they send to any UK address or just their partners?

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                      does the company you bought from not have a carrier you can return it to?
                                      I'm not sure. I'll ask!

Comment

You definitely recommended these books so. As XIII is also on the list. My Belgian office pal actually gave me the first two of that series for birthday. Think he felt bad that I was going to judge Begium purely based on Largo (as great as it is).
                                        XIII is great but it turns into a bit of a cash cow after volume 13 which should have been the end of the series. It started in 1984 and is still going

re Belgians, try Schuiten. phenomenal artist.

Let me know if you need more recommendations

Comment

Comment

current humble bundle is great https://www.humblebundle.com/

Gang beasts, deponia, skull giirls, love it, buy buy buy

Comment

I see Digicel pulled their IPO. Poor Dinny!

Comment

Are you still in West Midlands?
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Were ye all pals? Going to find another place together?
                                                  Yes, but no.

One of the guys was moving in with his missus, in any case, so we were looking to just 'exist' for a bit, whilst the other guy looking to buy a house so could really have done with a bit more time (can't really sign a new 6+ month lease somewhere) and I'm considering other options too and am not overjoyed with the prospect of another 6+ month lease myself!

Think we'd have been golden with another 2 months, but now in the horrible limbo of trying to figure out to commit to a new lease somewhere else or not (I've a fairly outrageous notice period). Might make the decision to just get a shithole place that I don't mind walking out the door on the lease for.

Pile of wank. Just before Christmas and all! Been ideal tenants for 3+ years, and they give us the absolute minimum legal notice required.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  Are you still in West Midlands?
                                                  Aye, but thinking about jumping ship.
                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 07-10-15, 14:39.

Comment

Comment

Aye, but thinking about jumping ship.
                                                      Son and his GF have just got the keys today to a new apartment they are buying in London and might be interested in a few bits and pieces if they were going cheap enough to make it worthwhile renting a van for a job lot rather than just going to ikea.

Comment

Son and his GF have just got the keys today to a new apartment they are buying in London and might be interested in a few bits and pieces if they were going cheap enough to make it worthwhile renting a van for a job lot rather than just going to ikea.
                                                        Would they be interested in a Pool Table? It's got a 200kg slate bed...

Like this with a green felt

Last edited by Emmet; 07-10-15, 15:11.

Comment

Largo Winch is great. Van Hamme did another series with a guy called Vance called XIII, loosely based on the same books the Bourne series are based on. Very good.

Please dig out the various comics by a guy called Marc Antoine Mathieu. Start from his first series (Julius Corentin Acquefacques). They're mindblowingly good!!
                                                          Dude, the neckbeards hate it when you call them comics.
                                                          Last edited by oleras; 07-10-15, 15:25.
                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Not sure if it was Shrap who recommended, but finished first French (Belgian) grapic novel - Largo Winch No.1. Very good stuff.
                                                            I was hooked on the fairly awful Largo TV show around 15 years ago when I only had RTE and a PS2 after moving out of home, used to be on network 2 in the early hours of the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                              I was hooked on the fairly awful Largo TV show around 15 years ago when I only had RTE and a PS2 after moving out of home, used to be on network 2 in the early hours of the morning.
                                                              they also did a series of XIII which is terribad. The film Largo Winch isn't great either but not appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                this has gone from 800 to 1700 since I moved out, lols. Couple years ago now but that is a quite small place really.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for...dublin-1595252
                                                                I dont know how the market is gone so crazy. If I got notice on my place now I would be pretty fucked I would say.

Not much of a chance getting a decent 2 bed apt with a parking space in a good area for €1200 anymore.

Comment

SA V USA jerseys extremely similar. Surely one of them should be wearing their white jersey?

Comment

Researchers gave an artificial intelligence system a basic IQ test and the results suggest the machine had a lot to learn.

AI takes IQ test and has intelligence results of a 4 year old.
                                                                    Great answer it gave for this:

"Why do people shake hands?"
                                                                    "Epileptic fit"
                                                                    Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                    I dont know how the market is gone so crazy. If I got notice on my place now I would be pretty fucked I would say.

Not much of a chance getting a decent 2 bed apt with a parking space in a good area for €1200 anymore.
                                                                    The ones I was looking at were 1500 and terrible, bad times.

Comment

Maybe in a commuter town!

Comment

Maybe in a commuter town!
                                                                        Is that a commuvter town in Dublin or one nearer Athlone?

Comment

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34464879?SThisFB

AI takes IQ test and has intelligence results of a 4 year old.
                                                                          Great answer it gave for this:

"Why do people shake hands?"
                                                                          "Epileptic fit"

The ones I was looking at were 1500 and terrible, bad times.
                                                                          Where do students live? They cant be living in commuter towns, paying more than €1500 for 2 or living in somewhere much worse than what you consider terrible.

Comment

I see Digicel pulled their IPO. Poor Dinny!
                                                                            <chortle>
                                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Supply and demand innit

Comment

WFT are Labour at proposing Mairia Cahill as a Seanad candidate? Surely that's a publicity stunt to try and harm Sinn Fein in the polls by bringing up that story again? I have zero love for Sinn Fein, but it just seems ridiculous to me. She doesn't even live in the country that she would be a representative of. What a load of horseshit.

Comment

oooh, tempting
                                                                                  Shite I meant to try and organise something for you if he hadn't offloaded them by this morning.

Looks like they were having a ball at it judging by the pics.

Comment

Would they be interested in a Pool Table? It's got a 200kg slate bed...

Like this with a green felt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-7-SUPREM...item3382b6efc3
                                                                                    LOL its a 2 bed in Hackney and judging by their minimalist architecture geek sensibilities he'll be lucky to be let have his guitars

Comment

...

Comment

Where do students live? They cant be living in commuter towns, paying more than €1500 for 2 or living in somewhere much worse than what you consider terrible.
                                                                                        Students share in 4/5/6+ person situations generally or stay in the student accommodations dotted around the place. Some do pay the above amount though. Yeha they do live in terrible kips too.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                          WFT are Labour at proposing Mairia Cahill as a Seanad candidate? Surely that's a publicity stunt to try and harm Sinn Fein in the polls by bringing up that story again? I have zero love for Sinn Fein, but it just seems ridiculous to me. She doesn't even live in the country that she would be a representative of. What a load of horseshit.
                                                                                          Mary MacAleese

Comment

Jose gone

LOL

Comment

...

Comment

Students share in 4/5/6+ person situations generally or stay in the student accommodations dotted around the place. Some do pay the above amount though. Yeha they do live in terrible kips too.
                                                                                                6 in a flat, the poor things. You should have seen some of the shitholes I lived in!

17 in a 3 bed house with one jacks once. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                  Mary MacAleese
                                                                                                  When she was elected at least we still laid claim to the North in our constitution, plus it wasn't just a stunt which this screams of to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                    Lol

SPOILER
                                                                                                    good one mate, took me a while.

Comment

LOL its a 2 bed in Hackney and judging by their minimalist architecture geek sensibilities he'll be lucky to be let have his guitars
                                                                                                      Guaranteed to be far more £££ than our 4 bed detached gaf here too.

Comment

When she was elected at least we still laid claim to the North in our constitution, plus it wasn't just a stunt which this screams of to me.
                                                                                                        Graham Geraghty

Comment

Ah it wasn't as explicitly politically knife-wielding as this one. Seems really dodge. Not that the senate means anything, but still...
                                                                                                          SF can hardly whinge on oh so many counts here.

(a) covered up her rape
                                                                                                          (b) repeatedly lied about it
                                                                                                          (c) campaigned against the abolition of the Senate

Comment

Time to lump on Georgia - 7 surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                              Graham Geraghty
                                                                                                              What has that got to do with anything? Just because parties have tried to use 'celebrities' for political reasons before doesn't mean that was anything other than ridiculous, nor does it means this is anything but cynical and ridiculous either.

Comment

...

Comment

What has that got to do with anything? Just because parties have tried to use 'celebrities' for political reasons before doesn't mean that was anything other than ridiculous, nor does it means this is anything but cynical and ridiculous either.
                                                                                                                  Marie Cahill is not a celebrity she is a rape victim whose suffering has been exacerbated and prolonged by an egregious cover up and ongoing smear campaign led by Gerry Adams.

She also happens to be a political activist working in particular on womens issues.

Sinn Fein IRA fanbois shouldn't be too worried as their chief Assclown, leader in waiting the self proclaimed feminist MaryLou, will probably continue to get the inexplicable soft ride from the media she has received on the Cahill case so far.

Comment

...

Comment

Meh, I see no harm in it. Not like she's going to win a seat and having a public reminder of SF's rank hypocrisy is no bad thing.

Comment

65 mins+ one half rugby! When is there gonna be a penalty try?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                                                          65 mins+ one half rugby! When is there gonna be a penalty try?
                                                                                                                          Ref lost the plot there. 4 penalties on the try line, should've awarded the penalty try.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X