Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moody's explanation of downgrading the UK's outlook serves as a solid explanation of why voting Leave was a terrible decision:

"Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
      I don't know all the details but I know 3 people who've been refused citizenship despite fulfilling every criteria. I can't answer the why as no reason is ever given and there's no obligation to do so apparently.
      One has been given a 99 year permission to stay and work here but refused citizenship which is bizarre.

These people are friends of mine, all married to Irish husbands for 5 years+ and two couples with Irish kids.

Edit to say that all have been granted permission to live and work here with pps numbers etc
      That's really bizarre, know plenty of Brazilians, Argentinians etc with citizenship here, don't even have kids etc.

Comment

The Guardian's view

'Britain could not be in more serious times'.

Comment

A guy in a straight family circle admits he is gay and states he wants to live his life his way. Family thinks its just a phase hes going through but he decides to leave the family circle and live the life he wants. Family are shocked and threaten to ignore him and make his life hell and he struggles on his own for a while but then the family realise that the gay guy earns a pile of money and they need the cash and the gay guy wants to stay friends with the family circle so they after some soul searching and heartbreak accept each other and agree to live together understanding each other desires and differences. Eventually there is acceptance and understanding and the gay guy lives happily alongside everyone with a few giving funny looks and a few others considering to come out of the closet as well maybe.

Brexit is happy now

Comment

Assuming the gay guy will makes piles of cash is a bit of a leap to be honest. Happy days if that happens, but it could go the other way.
            He could end up working minimum wage in a dead end job, without his previous earning his flamboyant lifestyle might be a struggle. He'll obviously try to keep up appearances but, before you know it he'll be turn tricks down some alley just to scrap together enough cash for a cosmo.
            He'll try to return to his family, but they don't want anything to do with him.
            Brexit is an unhappy whore now.

Comment

I don't know all the details but I know 3 people who've been refused citizenship despite fulfilling every criteria. I can't answer the why as no reason is ever given and there's no obligation to do so apparently.
              One has been given a 99 year permission to stay and work here but refused citizenship which is bizarre.

These people are friends of mine, all married to Irish husbands for 5 years+ and two couples with Irish kids.

Edit to say that all have been granted permission to live and work here with pps numbers etc
              Have they all been living in Ireland for that time? I only mention this as a friend of mine is married to an Australian. They have a kid. The kid has an dual citizenship, as does my friend, but the husband isn't entitled to Irish citizenship as he hasn't spend enough continuous time in Ireland. He'd get permanent residency though no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                You'll find something a bit amusing about this, maybe. Mainly the proof-of-concept part.

How I Used Maths to Beat the Bookies
                Made the schoolboy error of buying this without seeking references etc, about three months ago.

Worse than bad, despite its potential given the authors analytical maths background.

Comment

You'll find something a bit amusing about this, maybe. Mainly the proof-of-concept part.

How I Used Maths to Beat the Bookies
                  The first few paragraphs don't leave me with a sense that it isn't a load of bollox
                  over/under corner markets (where the stake is multiplied by the number of corners over – or under – a target set by the bookmakers)
                  If his idea of using maths is sort of basic stats and wins over a small sample, ill be like

Comment

I actually had to stop reading that.

How I used maths

Step 1: I followed the punter in the saturday paper

How wrong I was. At the end of our experiment Lovisa had won £17. A tidy little profit on the £100 investment. In fact, given that Lovisa cashed in her winnings after only four weeks, the rate of return on her investment was higher than mine.
                    +$17 from one weekend on football. Holy the bookies, the ship has sank, the jig is up, the game is cracked

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                      Maths and Physics, was 460 last year in UL.

I may have planted a seed for him to work at CERN at the end of whatever degree he chooses, he seems focused enough now to have that as a starting point, how bad !
                      As of now he can't because we're not a member!

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                        Solks. Don't bother with the new Independence Day. Just out of the cinema. Biggest let down movie I've ever seen. Complete load of shite. Just watch the original.
                        Did they bring back Elvis ?

cheers Dobby, will give it a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          As of now he can't because we're not a member!
                          i thought it was open to EU citizens ?

Hmmm, member states it seems, of which we are not one.

Ill keep stum for the 4 years.
                          Last edited by oleras; 25-06-16, 07:59.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Yea we're too cheap to pay the €1M for associate membership. It been mentioned in the latest strategic document that covers the period to 2020 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Have they all been living in Ireland for that time? I only mention this as a friend of mine is married to an Australian. They have a kid. The kid has an dual citizenship, as does my friend, but the husband isn't entitled to Irish citizenship as he hasn't spend enough continuous time in Ireland. He'd get permanent residency though no problem.
                              They've all lived here for at least 10 years.

Comment

They've all lived here for at least 10 years.
                                Then I've no clue. Racism is the logical conclusion

Comment

Hitch and hotspur, I hope you are levelling about that fucking book.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                      The obvious tactical option is to give them terms so bad that they come back begging for re entry. A speedy accommodation of Scotland would be a nice touch too.
                                      Have to imagine Spain would fight that tooth and nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                        I've been saying that a lot of Brexiters are in for a shock when they realise that the asylum seekers are more so UN than EU
                                        Last edited by Mellor; 25-06-16, 09:19.

Comment

Dan Hannan - Leave campaigner on Newsnight last night

Daniel Hannon on Newsnight 24th June 2016 explaining how he expects to adopt a Norway deal allowing freedom of movement for labour

Comment

Dan Hannan, leave campaigner, kinda doesn't want to leave.

Comment

It's ironic that some of the leavers are worried that the toys have actually hit the ground and broken. A toxic combination of aggressively opinionated and intellectually disengaged little englander home county-ites coupled with a shower of mean-spirited, xenophobic, reactionary fucktards and Uk is in bother for years to come. It's the man-in-the-street leavers, who believed the farages etc that I feel sorry for. What advantages do they really see this travesty of a result actually having for eg hull, Warrington etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                Did they bring back Elvis ?

cheers Dobby, will give it a miss.
                                                The original is on rte2 tonight at 8

Comment

Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm View Post
                                                  It's ironic that some of the leavers are worried that the toys have actually hit the ground and broken. A toxic combination of aggressively opinionated and intellectually disengaged little englander home county-ites coupled with a shower of mean-spirited, xenophobic, reactionary fucktards and Uk is in bother for years to come. It's the man-in-the-street leavers, who believed the farages etc that I feel sorry for. What advantages do they really see this travesty of a result actually having for eg hull, Warrington etc.
                                                  They aren't children. They had a chance to make an adult decision so no sympathy for them or the remainers who now realise the quality of their fellow citizens. As Lloyd implied the other day they didn't do enough.

Similarly no sympathy for us for electing dangerous idiots who have repeatedly failed us. We elect them so we get what we deserve. Absolving citizens of personal responsibility is a big part of the problem. We elect tax dodging, fantasy economics, single issue "hope" candidates and then try to absolve ourselves of the consequences and complain about the immaturity of the political debate. You reap what you sow.
                                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I've a feeling the UK won't end up leaving at all.

Comment

Cracking test match so far. Great first half and 18-17 at the break.

Comment

Any guess on what numbers would vote to leave if we had a referendum in 3 months.
                                                        I think the EU has become to big Ukraine Turkey looking to get in where do we stop?
                                                        Incorporate the middle east?

Would follow a smiliar enough pattern I think.
                                                        Sinn Fein AAp people before profit claiming all our oil and gas and fisheries would have made us rich.
                                                        The banking bailout in fairness we did get bullied by Europe would also be a prime target.
                                                        Think older folks would forget the poverty of the 50s 60s 70s when there was not a decent road in the country.
                                                        Remember all the 85%funded by EEC structural funds building projects.

Farmers would be in the poo they would actually have to have economically viable businesses instead of milking the system with grants.
                                                        I would actually welcome the Trokia instead of our current shower of incompetents they didn't care about getting elected or parish politics.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                            Cracking test match so far. Great first half and 18-17 at the break.
                                                            All the doom and gloom.
                                                            We have a chance of history beating the Boks in a series and an under20 world cup final.
                                                            Both opponents are 10 point favourites hoping at least one can overcome it.
                                                            The Boks have shown themselves to be indisciplined lacking a game plan and hampered by quotas due to race.
                                                            Really think despite losing Henshaw and Payne Joe will have a plan and we can beat them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                              All the doom and gloom.
                                                              We have a chance of history beating the Boks in a series and an under20 world cup final.
                                                              The Boks have shown themselves to be indisciplined lacking a game plan and hampered by quotas due to race.
                                                              Really think despite losing Henshaw and Payne Joe will have a plan and we can beat them.
                                                              you're a much better side than this mockery of a SA team, but Inconsistency unfortunately is your current affliction. I really hope you have 80 minutes of great rugby in you.

Really impressed by England though. Some real superstars in that team, and plenty to build on. Jones really has done a great job so far

Comment

The Night of the Gun one? No, its genuinely a brill read.
                                                                I think he means that maths betting book.

Comment

Maybe one upside of brexit result is that Luvvies like Geldof and Cumberbatch will realise they are paid to be dancing monkeys and to shut the fuck up when stuff like this is being debated. Guarantee geldofs boat stunt cost remain a few votes

Comment

not the 1st Irishman to say that

Comment

Any guess on what numbers would vote to leave if we had a referendum in 3 months.
                                                                      I think the EU has become to big Ukraine Turkey looking to get in where do we stop?
                                                                      Incorporate the middle east?

Would follow a smiliar enough pattern I think.
                                                                      Sinn Fein AAp people before profit claiming all our oil and gas and fisheries would have made us rich.
                                                                      The banking bailout in fairness we did get bullied by Europe would also be a prime target.
                                                                      Think older folks would forget the poverty of the 50s 60s 70s when there was not a decent road in the country.
                                                                      Remember all the 85%funded by EEC structural funds building projects.

Farmers would be in the poo they would actually have to have economically viable businesses instead of milking the system with grants.
                                                                      I would actually welcome the Trokia instead of our current shower of incompetents they didn't care about getting elected or parish politics.
                                                                      Not so much the Middle East because they don't fit our legal or human rights frameworks but I don't see how bringing in countries that can prove they will be a net financial gain and are a moral fit for the Eu is a problem.

Basically no to turkey on human rights but if the us, Canada,oz, New Zealand or the like decides they want to join then let free trade and movement of people begin.

The eu is primarily in place as a trading partnership amongst equal nations having more bargaining power is a positive to the nations inside.

Too it the Eu is not but poorly run it is.

Comment

All the doom and gloom.
                                                                        The loss of both players is the big worry. I think we could have overcome missing one but im worried about losing both. And McGrath is really being asked to do an awful lot.

Still hope abounds and I'll be roaring the tv on!

The u20s have no fear and are playing really well so no reason to be anything but excited for them.
                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                          Maybe one upside of brexit result is that Luvvies like Geldof and Cumberbatch will realise they are paid to be dancing monkeys and to shut the fuck up when stuff like this is being debated. Guarantee geldofs boat stunt cost remain a few votes
                                                                          Lol

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                any streaming sites got their hands on the new Independance day movie yet ?
                                                                                Seriously don't bother with it straight up dire stuff.
                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

V etc - don't entirely disagree with your sentiments, but I think the arguments run a little broader: certainly people who have had the benefit of reasonable upbringing, education, etc., are to be held entirely responsible for the informed choices they (we) make. I just feel (and I confess it's more a feeling than a highly informed view) they are numbers of people, here and even more so in the UK who, for whatever reasons (mainly education) are poorly-informed, easily led, and have been easily corralled into a very narrow groupthink on, in the case of what we are debating here, a brexit. They seem incapable (and I'm sure in many instances unwilling) of looking at a bigger picture beyond their immediate prejudices and wants. Having said that, many in the midlands and north of England have been very poorly served by Goverment there, and "the EU", "immigration", "foreigners" etc are an easy target for blame. If only it were that simple, but the farages, bojos, etc. know damn well there is more to it than that...anyway, descending into rant territory I am! The U.K. Will have years, and maybe decades, to ponder on the wisdom of two hoary old sayings: "be careful what you wish for"; and "may you live in interesting times"...

Comment

you poprock.

The game was amazing, the night was amazing, the bottoms were amazing, lille was amazing. That was class, sorry ya couldn't go poprock but the tickets were fully used as we didn't leave the stadium until we were kicked out as we just soaked everything in as much as possible!
                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

My considered view would be 'fuck them'.

If you're stupid enough to vote for something\someone where you have not contemplated the consequences, you deserve everything you get.
                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lol! I do in fact largely agree with that view, and v's earlier. I'm just trying not to take pleasure in it!

Comment

Boom time right now for my company given we buy about 80% of our stock from the UK, just a little worried about how temporary it may be.
                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Me too, not sure who gets more leverage now though, GB/EU on any new terms

Comment

Lol! I do in fact largely agree with that view, and v's earlier. I'm just trying not to take pleasure in it!
                                                                                              Fuck them indeed. I hope that while minimising the impact on Ireland they get nailed and screwed in loads of ways, and then in 10 years they come back cap in hand accepting a worse deal that they had now.

It won't work out like that, and I think the EU could get damaged seriously by all the inward looking xenophobes across the continent (of which there are many), but I'd be happy if it did work out like that.

Comment

And we have the goal of the tournament winner

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                  And we have the goal of the tournament winner
                                                                                                  Fantastic. A bit reminiscent of Ronnie Whelan's in 1988 with the shinner element of it.

Edit: a bit harsh actually, caught it pretty sweetly.

Comment

Well deserved, Swiss very good to watch. Arsenal seem to have got a great deal on Xhaka, he's been the best deep lieing midfielder this tournament.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Good start from South Africa in the rugby. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a one sided affair in their favour.

Comment

Correct call imo

Comment

Correct call imo
                                                                                                          Probably was.

Comment

Great to get a try when they have 14. Easy enough in the end to get over.

Comment

Correct call imo
                                                                                                              How do you settle it with the Stander decision which was confirmed at the oral hearing? Consistency is the issue here.
                                                                                                              The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Anyone got a stream for the rugby?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                                  Anyone got a stream for the rugby?
                                                                                                                  Also need one please - mine (VIPbox) just cut out.

Comment

I have it on tv,but this stream looks ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                                                      How do you settle it with the Stander decision which was confirmed at the oral hearing? Consistency is the issue here.
                                                                                                                      Massive difference between the 2.stander was trying to block and completely misread it. In this case he was trying to get to the ball, had his eyes o the ball and didn't jump as high. Took him out and the guy fell badly, so yellow seems fair imo.

Similar in the England game when Watson came down poorly but the Aussie almost got the ball but left a trailing arm and took Watson out. All he got was a penalty.

Comment

Glad to see Shane Horgan agrees with me.

Comment

Glad to see Shane Horgan agrees with me.
                                                                                                                          ?? He said twice it should have been a red card and that the TMO "shirked" it.
                                                                                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X