This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Fairly sure I have that plantar fasciitis which a few of ye seemed to get over the years. On my right heel/sole, had it for about 6 weeks now. So annoying.

Is it the sort of thing you go to the doctor with and pay him €60 to confirm it? Or is there somewhere else to go? In my head doctors have always been for feeling fucked type ailments like virus/fever/flu, and hospitals for when you break your arm playing football. This is kind of in-between.
    It might be an idea to go to the docs to get a definitive diagnosis.
    I've hopped around for years thinking gout, achilles rupture, plantar or plain old stress fracture.
    It's gout btw.
    But knowing for sure gives some piece of mind
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've a friend in america looking for a link for cork/tipp. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
        That's the thing that Henderson had I believe this season. No cure although you can effectively make it better by rupturing it fully, or so my expertise gained from hearing he had it told me.
        Saw an article alright (possibly the same one you saw) where Doctor Jamie Carragher suggested it as a solution for Henderson. Must admit it struck me as probably bollix, likely about as accurate as the average GPs thoughts on the merits of the False 9 or zonal marking.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        Roll the soles/arch of your feet with a golf ball. A frozen bottle of water works well too. Or freeze the golf ball if the cold helps the inflammation.
        Foam roll your calf necks as that can be the source of the tightness, the calf crosses the heel.
        Yep, been doing the frozen bottle of water thing and various rolling foot exercises, will try the calf thing.

Comment

Horizon BBC2 tonight might be of interest to the thread as they investigate e-cigarettes and vaping.
          Presumably they will doing it purely from an open-minded scientific pov, and without anyone being able to say they are paid mouthpieces for either side.

Comment

Knox deserving this.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSloane View Post
              I've a friend in america looking for a link for cork/tipp. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comment

Solid by Rte having to show both approaches on 17 off tape because they were on ads. Fairly disgraceful coverage all told.

Comment

Same on 18. Jokers.

Comment

beauty

Comment

Horizon BBC2 tonight might be of interest to the thread as they investigate e-cigarettes and vaping.
                      Presumably they will doing it purely from an open-minded scientific pov, and without anyone being able to say they are paid mouthpieces for either side.

Comment

He's been quite positive about vaping for a while now. Strange that he vaped for a month, just for the show.

Medical journalist Michael Mosley examines the growing trend for electronic cigarettes and asks if they are safe. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j9gny

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-05-16, 17:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                              Here's a hypothetical question:

Lets say someone was working in Ireland technically until the end of August last year. They forgot to cancel the child benefit, were a bit distracted, and to be very honest it was extremely handy to receive the cash as they weren't receiving overseas child benefit.

That brightspark eventually had the smart idea to cancel the child benefit when returning to Dublin earlier this month so the cancellation letter would have a Dublin postmark on it, rather than an overseas postmark.

This cunning ruse didn't work and they received an email saying 'ehh buddy - our last records say you stopped working here at the end of August, please prove you were in Ireland until the beginning of May or trouble will occur'.

After careful consideration that person decided that the best bet was to ignore the email on the grounds that the amount received is <€1,000 and they'll probably just let it slide. Does that sound somewhere in the vicinity of the best strategy? Admitting stuff just seems like it opens a whole world of pain that might have to be prosecuted, whereas this approach is just not saying anything.
                              No they have you on a list now. Get in touch and plead ignorance and get a repayment plan going. You really don't want them coming after you no matter how slowly they pursue it.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Ep 5 of Game of Thrones has been leaked, firing it up now
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

What's with the 'you'. This is hypothetical. Isn't there a problem though of pleading ignorance while at the same time having signed a document saying 'this is a true statement' when cancelling the child benefit saying the leaving of the country was at the beginning of May this year?

Seems like the type of thing thats going to turn into an awful mess, despite it kinda happening in the background without it being thought about since leaving. It is, of course, fraud, but it was essentially unintentional.
                                    Could "you" argue that the family didn't come across for awhile and that lead to a misunderstanding. I think the case is going to be investigated now so "you" need a plan to extricate yourself without a court case.
                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Just tell them the truth and ask them can "you" start a repayment plan straight away. No reason for them to involve costly court process for a trivial amount that "you" will start paying immediately. Problem solved imo.

Comment

Emergency shelters are 'dry only' though aren't they, for historic religious reasons rather than commonsense reasons? So the system wants people to sober up, dry out, get off drugs, while still on the streets, before they'll get help. That is a woeful policy that excludes the people who probably need the help most. A lot of modern systems - e.g. the Canadian one afair have a 'housing first, then lets help you' policy which is has vastly better outcomes. Think a few US cities - not known as being the kindest places to be a homeless person - are also experimenting with this idea.

Let's have a small bit of evidence-based treatment, rather than a judgemental system inherited from the catholic church...

This is separate of course to how annoying those beggars are when you are just trying to have a pint / walk along the street.
                                        They are dry not just because of the Catholic Church but also due to safety issues for other residents.

My main point is that we have a social welfare system which adequately provides, there is no need for anyone to be begging to get extra so fuck them. A portion of my tax will cover their lifestyle as it is.

they are provide with cash and accomadation - mental health and addiction should obv be tackled and the avenues to dry out are there even if they are pretty badly under resourced for ideal world scenarios.

The state adequately provides, begging is illegal so I stand by my fuck em assesment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 22-05-16, 18:38.

Comment

You need an address for social payments I'd imagine
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Comment

"Me" has no problem volunteering to pay the money back, was just a bit scared that this might open up the possibility of legal proceedings. Okay, a phonecall to them might be best so, rather than an email that could be used as evidence in a court of law.
                                                  Could you just not say, that you have plenty of money in your bank acc and didn't even notice the money going in and when you were moving you didn't even think about children's allowance (Woman's job and all that crack) shift the Blame to her. Shur wtf would men know about children's allowance tbf
                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                    Could you just not say, that you have plenty of money in your bank acc and didn't even notice the money going in and when you were moving you didn't even think about children's allowance (Woman's job and all that crack) shift the Blame to her. Shur wtf would men know about children's allowance tbf
                                                    Any self respecting young horn dog knows when "mickey money" day is

Comment

D

EDIT: wasn't too clear there. I mean that there seems to be some mental illnesses its okay to have, but others not. I guess suicidal people cost an absolute fortune to look after, but if you have a mental illness that instead puts you on the streets then you are fair game to be called a scrounger.
                                                      How it seems to work in at the moment is its grand to talk about mental illness in the media if you are a GAA star\media "personality" who had a blip and overcame by going for walks and eating your greens. If you are still in the midst of it you are fair game to be thrown to the wolves like Sinead o Connor last week

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        Colm has no idea and never did and it goes to his acc.
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Good to see you still refer to him as a self respecting young horn dog anyway

Sure he's far too busy working 24/7 in the Middle East to know whats going on....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                              You need an address for social payments I'd imagine
                                                              Incorrect, they can register against a homeless service.

Comment

Comment

Do people on the streets get full social security payments - surely not? That's nearly €200 a week and a rental allowance. They'd hardly be begging so prolifically if that was the case. They literally seem to have nothing.

Would love to see you sign up to twitter and describe suicidal people as having a 'lifestyle' choice, as you do people with addictions. Really can't imagine anyone chooses that lifestyle, but rather there's being an accumulation of mental illnesses, not just addiction, that led them to that situation.

EDIT: wasn't too clear there. I mean that there seems to be some mental illnesses its okay to have, but others not. I guess suicidal people cost an absolute fortune to look after, but if you have a mental illness that instead puts you on the streets then you are fair game to be called a scrounger.
                                                                  Do people on the streets get full social security payments - surely not? That's nearly €200 a week and a rental allowance. They'd hardly be begging so prolifically if that was the case. They literally seem to have nothing.

Would love to see you sign up to twitter and describe suicidal people as having a 'lifestyle' choice, as you do people with addictions. Really can't imagine anyone chooses that lifestyle, but rather there's being an accumulation of mental illnesses, not just addiction, that led them to that situation.

No as I said mental illness and addiction needs to be treated and it is under resourced. It is a totally different set of problems to deal with and shouldn't be done by letting people roam the city centre on Saturday nights, as much for their benefit as mine.

It is my fault for not making my original point clearly but there are plenty of beggars who are not homeless out on Saturday nights. Can't tie both together fully even if a lot of crossover exists.

Yes the beggars are entitled to unemployment so long as they fulfill the criteria such as trying to apply for jobs or being sgned off by a doctor. Which covers your addict or sober person.

If you think it is fine to have people begging then fair enough it is a strange argument to go for.

Not going to go into it more but I think that they should be stricter on beggars and drugs adicts in the city centre, consider it shifting the problem elsewhere if you want but it should still be done. Those with issues should have them treated, in the case of mental illness against their will if they are deemed incompetent.

Comment

So your saying homeless people get €200 a week (or €185 or whatever social welfare is)? I'd be shocked if thats the case, but am prepared to be shocked.
                                                                    Why would they not be entitled? Do you think the people put up in B and B's with their kids don't get an allowance. Those are most of the homeless not the sleeping rough kind.

Beggars are not definitely homeless even if most of the sleeping rough kind are beggars. If someone is not showing they are trying to follow the welfare rules then they loose it until they can prove different and reengage with the service.

If they cannot do this simply task then they are either choosing or need to be out of social welfare and into a different service.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

on every count

Comment

Comment

Fairly sure I have that plantar fasciitis which a few of ye seemed to get over the years. On my right heel/sole, had it for about 6 weeks now. So annoying.

Is it the sort of thing you go to the doctor with and pay him €60 to confirm it? Or is there somewhere else to go? In my head doctors have always been for feeling fucked type ailments like virus/fever/flu, and hospitals for when you break your arm playing football. This is kind of in-between.
                                                                          OMG I have this and had googled a few times and couldn't find what it was called. Glad the BBV has gave insight on it TYVM

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                            HOLY FLURKING SHNIT
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

HOLY FLURKING SHNIT
                                                                              The skype call came at a bad time

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                OMG I have this and had googled a few times and couldn't find what it was called. Glad the BBV has gave insight on it TYVM
                                                                                Jaysus Gilser yu don't get a break. If you were a horse you'd be in ma lasagne. I won't moan any more about me ol shoulder yiz are all crocked on here.

Comment

They're very strict in making sure it goes to the mother's account where possible no?

Comment

Don't get me wrong, i'm definitely not defending the awfully intrusive habit of begging. I'd even have chuggers shot, such is my hatred of the artform.

Was more that your original post said it was a lifestyle, whereas i really don't think its a lifestyle. Was just taking a small issue with that.

Surely there's no way that beggars are getting €185 a week though. That just doesn't seem to gel with how genuinely destitute they seem.
                                                                                    They are entitled if they cannot collect it is through choices they made or an issue which means another service should be caring for them.

So long as we are all agreed that it should be moved somewhere else will leave it there.

Comment

Good show on rte2 now on Gaa player burnout
                                                                                      Dubs need to share the wealth
                                                                                      Last edited by Guest; 22-05-16, 19:42.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                                        They're very strict in making sure it goes to the mother's account where possible no?
                                                                                        I have zero idea how it works, but would that not be discriminatory? Surely any parent should be allowed to have it paid into their account if they don't have a joint one?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          The skype call came at a bad time
                                                                                          Haha yeah. I'll get a decent torrent tomorrow and watch it again. What a fucking episode.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                            Good show on rte2 now on Gaa player burnout
                                                                                            Dubs need to share the wealth
                                                                                            As is the norm with rte it's an old show. Was aired last year.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                I have zero idea how it works, but would that not be discriminatory? Surely any parent should be allowed to have it paid into their account if they don't have a joint one?
                                                                                                I don't remember any specifics as it'd been a few years now but there was definitely something that said it had to be paid into my wife's account unless there was good reason.

Comment

Would forcing you to have a baptismal cert to send your kids to school be discriminatory too? The country is rather old-fashioned. They def make a big deal of the money going into the mother's account.
                                                                                                  Well at least in that case those schools are technically under the patronage of the church, there isn't even a tenuous link to the church for child benefit.

For what its worth i think religion and schools should be entirely separate as well, its a massive pain in the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                                                    Dunno tbh. Always went into his acc, was never a problem. Maybe different if married.
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

I won't be attending the quiz this week m8.
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

...

Comment

Many people will not go to emergency accommodation and hostels because they want to stay away from the drug taking that is rife in there, especially if they are trying to stay abstinent themselves.

There are people who are homeless who are often not receiving social welfare.

Drug addiction was not an under-resourced area in Ireland for many years.

I am going to make a decision next month about contributing in some way to homelessness, but I'm not sure what it will look like. I was going to volunteer a while back for Simon Community's counselling services, though I feel like I would like to do something else. I'm just not too sure what.

Has anyone here ever volunteered with any of the organisations working with the homeless?

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                                                I won't be attending the quiz this week m8.
                                                                                                                Oh no. How was work?

Comment

I don't think this has been mentioned, which i suppose shows how far we've matured as a microcosm of (poker) society.

Howard Lederer apology for Full Tilt via Daniel Negreanu.

Anybody care?
                                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 22-05-16, 21:20.

Comment

Oh no. How was work?
                                                                                                                    Yeah a prior engagement, just yourself this week so ya shall have to form a team! I should be back next week though.
                                                                                                                    Hoping to make Tuesday's though if ya wanna try that one out , riggs might be there and ye can try and become friends again
                                                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

The Irish Open today, won by Rory but the guy n 4th place was the real story

Every now and again, someone we would never have heard of will come along and do something fantastic. There's a freshness to what they do, and when you learn th...

Comment

...

Comment

Rory donating his full prize money (€650k?) to charity was surely a reasonable 'real story' too! Although in fairness this guy's story is something too.
                                                                                                                          did he ? fair play . Still though magnitude and all that.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X