Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friend of mine here in Spain (English guy) renewed his passport online and received it here in Spain 5 days later. He paid a little extra for parcel delivery, and it came from Belfast, not sure why Belfast but there ya go.

Comment

Was in a meeting with 3 people who don't have English as their first language. Spoke at length about the dynamic changing event that was Microsoft building Microsoft R Open and packaging R tools into visual studio. Trying to steal the scientific and professional community back from Python.

Ten minutes later, one of them asks "not trying to be rude, but what were you talking about?"

Forgot that we pronounce the letter R 'wrong' compared to the rest of the world. They must have thought I was totally confused, constantly offering options where there were none. "Microsoft or Open" over and over again.

'R' = 'Or', or 'R' = 'Are'?

Comment

Have a mate in the Post that can have it on their desk in Balbriggan tomorrow morning, so going that route. I think once they're actually processing the application it only takes a couple of days after that.

Fucking frantic search for the marriage cert for the last 2 hours was no craic. Gin and hope for the best time.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
          Friend of mine here in Spain (English guy) renewed his passport online and received it here in Spain 5 days later. He paid a little extra for parcel delivery, and it came from Belfast, not sure why Belfast but there ya go.
          Tony and I both got our passports renewed there, it said mine would be about 4 weeks and he did passport express. Mine came in 8 days from Belfast and his took over the 10 days. I didn't pay any extra to get it delivered either.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
            Tony and I both got our passports renewed there, it said mine would be about 4 weeks and he did passport express. Mine came in 8 days from Belfast and his took over the 10 days. I didn't pay any extra to get it delivered either.
            Yeah, just looked at the GOVdotUK website for overseas applications, the courier delivery is not optional, it's mandatory (from Spain anyway). Costs around 20 sterling but it's a great service, well worth it.

Comment

The guy who runs the passport service within the DFA is an incompetent nincompoop who would have ling since been fired from any properly run organisation.
              It only follows that his staff are the laziest shower of bolshie pricks in the civil service.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I recall you have it in for them SP, but from what I've been reading a lot of commentary on them suggests they're quite helpful (if you can find one).

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    We've got such bollix to go through here for the passports for the kids. Asks us to to get some notary - none of whom speak English - to sign two pages written in English (and Irish) saying 'yes these are the parents' 'yes this is the kid'. Not sure how thats going to work. Have been putting it off for about six months at this stage.
                    Why are you not applying for Irish passports?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                      I recall you have it in for them SP, but from what I've been reading a lot of commentary on them suggests they're quite helpful (if you can find one).
                      They had a major change in their systems about two years ago which has improved the service quite a bit but its still very badly managed.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ireland to win eurovison.
                        Gerrup
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Maybe not... He was so out of tune
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Disappointed with the new stone roses track. Not surpsiing mind

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                              Disappointed with the new stone roses track. Not surpsiing mind
                              Was that them in the Eurovision for Moldova?
                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Id say the passport office workers sloth has inadvertently put the kibosh on the Egyptians absconding back to the middle east with their child out of spite. Theres always a good side to bad service. The passport office call it diligence.

Comment

The masterclass with the chemist guy was class. The enthusiasm of the really top guys is so infectious. I told him about the absolute requirement that science be tied to profit in Ireland and his response was simply: 'That is sad'. 71 years old and still so into it.
                                    Also very skeptical of Elon Musk's motives and the scalability of his technology. Basically called him a charlatan!
                                    Here's a brief interview he did a couple of months ago:

Comment

Eurovison has suckered me in again.
                                      €50 sank on qualifiers so far

Comment

I'd put Ireland at about 16th out of those 18. And that's being generous.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                              Yeah Croatia looks amazing, there is so much I want to see and do there that I feel I would like to do 3-4 weeks. Its on the list but not this year.
                                              It's a great place, we did a week in zagreb, week in trogir and then final week in Dubrovnik before heading to Montenegro. It's cheap, has great weather and the coastline is stunning. Trogir and the coast was much better than Dubrovnik or zagreb. Bay of Kotor in Montenegro was an incredible place too.

Comment

Booooo.

Comment

Should probably send someone who can sing to a singing contest.

Comment

Needs more

Comment

Nothing comes close to your own bed after a week away on a pull out couch bed yoke.
                                                      Back to reality tomorrow 11/8pm
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                        good to see Poch sign up till 2015 with Spurs. As much as united tried to lure him away with the promise of a shitty squad and europa league football they just couldn't close the deal.
                                                        Not a great deal there, a contract that ended last year.

Comment

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Rigger disappears and Shashka appears. Similar posting times and style. Funny coincidence that. Putin riding Rainbow-dash was the clincher.
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

I've also discovered Hitch is a closet Brony.
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                  Rigger disappears and Shashka appears. Similar posting times and style. Funny coincidence that. Putin riding Rainbow-dash was the clincher.
                                                                  Its me. I told you all weeks ago.

Comment

Gomorrah makes game of thrones look like a kids show

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                        Ive given up on GOT, its a load of shit. Ill have to try to watch Gomorrah again but i dont like subtitles or Italians. Not so much i dont like them, im just weary of the oily haired fcukers.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                          Needs more

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                            Jumping in now, tore through S1 a few months ago, had hoped to wait till there were a few more but feck it.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                              Ive given up on GOT, its a load of shit. Ill have to try to watch Gomorrah again but i dont like subtitles or Italians. Not so much i dont like them, im just weary of the oily haired fcukers.
                                                                              one of the main characters is bald so that might help

Comment

Went to Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? at the Gaye this evening, very good (very long though)

Comment

Pretty sad to see the muppets whoring themselves out to advertisers ,wouldnt think theyd need the cash.

Comment

Downtown is down to the last 17 of SCOOP-13-H $700 PKO

He's $6k+ in the bag so far but been shorty for a while so needs bit of run good.

JCarver still in and streaming it, but they're not at the same table.

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                      Went to Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? at the Gaye this evening, very good (very long though)
                                                                                      Were the seats comfy ?

I was at a play last night, it was unreal awesome by the way, have been selling it all day to friends, but the seats were terrible.

1.10 ish for the first 2 acts, started to squirm about 45-50 mins in, 20 min break and around an hour for the last 2, same again, around 45 mins in cheek changing, and terrible elbow room, narrow wooden arm wrests with nylon stockings for cushions.

I can do 3 plus straight in the cinema not a bother.

The Plough and The Stars in the Lime Tree Theater.

LWIII is playing there Nov 1 for any fans. SP ?
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                        Its me. I told you all weeks ago.
                                                                                        How's the WW championship going?
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          Rigger disappears and Shashka appears.
                                                                                          I'm still here mate.

Comment

Its spelled M8, imposter. ..

Although the Putin and horse pics are really throwing me.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                              Downtown is down to the last 17 of SCOOP-13-H $700 PKO

He's $6k+ in the bag so far but been shorty for a while so needs bit of run good.

JCarver still in and streaming it, but they're not at the same table.

https://www.twitch.tv/jcarverpoker
                                                                                              Just took a peek at the stream. Do many players do this now? Some amount of information to be giving away to the other players this deep in a decent buyin tourney.

Edit - It must lead to some cool internal leveling wars in your own head based on what you think other players might think from what they have seen you do on the stream

Opr
                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 13-05-16, 00:00.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                Its spelled M8, imposter. ..

Although the Putin and horse pics are really throwing me.
                                                                                                New phones don't understand txt spk, which is funny when you think about it.

Here's a bear

Comment

Mellor is Rigger.

Shaska is CHDog.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                                                    Mellor is Rigger.

Shaska is CHDog.
                                                                                                    Shaska is real.
                                                                                                    Mellor is Mellor.
                                                                                                    Lottie isn't Rigger.
                                                                                                    No t sure who CHD is, more than 1 for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                      Shaska is real.
                                                                                                      Mellor is Mellor.
                                                                                                      Lottie isn't Rigger.
                                                                                                      No t sure who CHD is, more than 1 for sure
                                                                                                      The weirdest thing is I am the sanest of all humans m8.

What price you offering on you being ''Rigger''

Comment

Sanity is only a mater of perspective.

I don't offer odds, risky game. Prefer to go after the bookies. Speaking of which, the UFC198 card is class. Who do you fancy?
                                                                                                        Lots of submissions imo

Comment

Andy m8, got the lock-in until now. Ya missed out
                                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

For those of ye wondering, I'm both shaska and rigger accounts. Fuck the lot of yus
                                                                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Rigger is luckforsome imo

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                Rigger is luckforsome imo
                                                                                                                ...Liam is Luckforsome I think...And Luckforsome is Rigger...

Comment

...

Comment

Though I totally disagree with the Trots in the LUAS drivers and the Unions, I think that the Mexican Standoff situation that we're in now is going to set a pretty lousy and unnecessary precedent. Not unnecessary as in 'should not be set', but unnecessary in terms of 'should not need to be set'.

Pretty certain it's all going to end in tears, as the idealogues look set to impale an awful lot of sheep in their unreasonable and irrational claims.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                      The masterclass with the chemist guy was class. The enthusiasm of the really top guys is so infectious. I told him about the absolute requirement that science be tied to profit in Ireland and his response was simply: 'That is sad'. 71 years old and still so into it.
                                                                                                                      Also very skeptical of Elon Musk's motives and the scalability of his technology. Basically called him a charlatan!
                                                                                                                      Here's a brief interview he did a couple of months ago:
                                                                                                                      http://www.youris.com/Energy/Solar_E...-kDwMM.twitter
                                                                                                                      Oh come on... the bulk of the science in Ireland will never make a profit. You only have to look at where the majority of infrastructural money goes to see that the funding agency only care about paying lip service to that ideal.
                                                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                                        Oh come on... the bulk of the science in Ireland will never make a profit. You only have to look at where the majority of infrastructural money goes to see that the funding agency only care about paying lip service to that ideal.
                                                                                                                        Of course it won't make a profit. It's far more than lip service though. You'd want to see the bullshit surveys I have to fill out....'How many highly skilled jobs has your work led to to', 'how many spin out companies or patents has your work generated'.
                                                                                                                        Those questions all come above the questions about journal papers and conferences.
                                                                                                                        All of the application forms are the same. Astronomers, theorists, and fundamental experimentalists haven't got a hope of getting funded.
                                                                                                                        The infrastructure call we put in is hugely industrially focused because that's the only way we had a chance.
                                                                                                                        They should be renamed to Technology Foundation Ireland, because they don't fund science.
                                                                                                                        Kind of funny to see Intel turning around giving them the two fingers now that they've decided they don't need them anymore.

Comment

We get many of the same surveys I suspect. Fortunately I don't really have to worry about them very much. That said I am in an industry focused area so have a bit more luxury to not really care about "science" per se (besides which Im an engineer anyway).
                                                                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X