Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And let's face it, a lot of the people on here are just cranky aging cunts.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Fully accept Winnipeg was an awful guess.
    But did you honestly know the answer?
    I actually looked up some more state capitals in anticipation of another state coming up, my god I suck at them. I think I got like 7 or 8, but they were all the obvious ones plus alaska which I was just told

The ones I was most shocked that I didn't know/was wrong with my guesses that I was sure about were new york/california/louisiana/illinois/nevada/oregon/florida. Anyone who gets some of these without cheating fair play
    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
      I love being young.

I see idiots younger than me acting like the world would stop if they did.

Idiots.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        I love being young.

I see idiots younger than me acting like the world would stop if they did.

Idiots.
        I knew a lad like that and now he is Minister for Health.

Comment

I actually looked up some more state capitals in anticipation of another state coming up, my god I suck at them. I think I got like 7 or 8, but they were all the obvious ones plus alaska which I was just told

The ones I was most shocked that I didn't know/was wrong with my guesses that I was sure about were new york/california/louisiana/illinois/nevada/oregon/florida. Anyone who gets some of these without cheating fair play
          off the top of my head poss wrong

new york= buffalo

cali= sacremento

louisiana= biloxi

nevada = reno

oregon no idea

florida= st petersburg

illinois= seems like michigan but i know thats not it.

so how wrong am i in all them :P

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
            I knew a lad like that and now he is Minister for Health.
            Best of PaulSimon: https://goo.gl/j3WY2ZSubscribe here: https://goo.gl/XFhtQpMusic video by Paul Simon performing Rewrite. (C) 2011 Paul Simon. Under exclusi...
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
              off the top of my head poss wrong

new york= buffalo

cali= sacremento

louisiana= biloxi

nevada = reno

oregon no idea

florida= st petersburg

illinois= seems like michigan but i know thats not it.

so how wrong am i in all them :P
              One out of 6 correct.

Comment

One out of 6 correct.
                yeah just checked myself, the fact i answered michigan for illinois is ridic i used to know a tonne of them reading down through the list id do awful at guessing them now.

Comment

GoT:

SPOILER
                  And now his watch has ended
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                    GoT:

SPOILER
                    And now his watch has ended
                    SPOILER
                    now he goes to find himself and cry then wildlings catch up and help him beat Ramsey. Meh.

You read the got reddit?

Comment

Fully accept Winnipeg was an awful guess.
                      But did you honestly know the answer?
                      I did, but my US geography is pretty good. I didn't know the Massechussets capital though, but knew the Texas one.

Comment

I think I know a few, not as many as I'd like.
                        SPOILER

Albany
                        Sacremento
                        Not sure
                        Not sure
                        Carson?
                        Not sure
                        Tallahasee

Comment

Originally posted by Shashka View Post
                          Awh well done to her! You must be so proud!
                          I sure am. Great to see the control she has on a horse. Quite the horsewoman she is

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                            I did, but my US geography is pretty good. I didn't know the Massechussets capital though, but knew the Texas one.
                            I would have thought Boston/Massachusetts was the easiest one.
                            If I really though about Alaska, I might have said Anchorage. was never getting the right answer though. New I also thoguh was very hard, kudos on that one

Comment

Albany
                              Sacramento
                              Baton Rouge
                              Springfield (might be wrong here)
                              Nevada...dunno. Reno?
                              Oregon, guessing Portland as it's the only city I know
                              Florida, hmmm. Jacksonville?

Available for table quiz hire although know nothing of teen heartthrobs.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I must be the only one here with a Sporcle addiction. Could rattle off all State Capitals, World Capitals, World Flags, Periodic Table in a heartbeat so at least there is some small benefit to it.

Carson City, Salem and Tallahassee ftw RD.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                  I must be the only one here with a Sporcle addiction. Could rattle off all State Capitals, World Capitals, World Flags, Periodic Table in a heartbeat so at least there is some small benefit to it.

Carson City, Salem and Tallahassee ftw RD.
                                  Australian States and Thier capitals...Go!

Clue: There are 6

Anyone can google

Comment

Australian States and Thier capitals...Go!

Clue: There are 6

Anyone can google
                                    Guessing the big cities here?

WA Perth
                                    SAYING Adelaide
                                    Vic Melbourne
                                    NSW Sydney
                                    Qld Brisbane
                                    Tas Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                      Dobby get a grip on your life, it's lower league Kerry regional soccer ffs, you're building it to be the biggest treachery since Denis Law
                                      Don't think you get how long a grudge can last down those parts.

@dobby - You should just play the best you can. No matter what happens the one thing you can't control is how others may or may not interpret it.
                                      Last edited by Lplated; 09-05-16, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                        Please do not do a 'no celebration' celebration if you do score. They are cringe in the premiership,let alone the Kerry District league. Kneeslide towards the opposition bench accompanied by fistpump would be my go to
                                        run finger to the lips to the opposing line then move into Peter Crouch Robot dance
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to use Aer Lingus' multi city flight search feature?

I've used this feature on many sites, and I can generally add extra legs, which is usually the whole point of it, but at this does as far as I can tell is let you both 2 flights, but not necessarily depart from the first city you landed at. Am I missing something or is it really as shit as it seems? I saw a decent price elsewhere for a series of flights for AL but wanted to check on their site, but seems no way to replicate it on there. Crock of shit.
                                          Just played round with it there out of interest, unless I too am missing something obvious it's not great.

Alternative might be to use skyscanner - if the AL flights you're interested are decent/best priced they will appear somewhere high up on the skyscanner list.

Tip for using skyscanner - use the 'whole month' feature when selecting dates - if instead you choose a 'fixed' date, the prices for some possible return/related flights will change upward.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                            Just played round with it there out of interest, unless I too am missing something obvious it's not great.

Alternative might be to use skyscanner - if the AL flights you're interested are decent/best priced they will appear somewhere high up on the skyscanner list.

Tip for using skyscanner - use the 'whole month' feature when selecting dates - if instead you choose a 'fixed' date, the prices for some possible return/related flights will change upward.
                                            I found it on Skyscanner originally, just thought I'd check the prices direct as well, but it's useless. Even Skyscanner isn't as configurable as I'd like but it is pretty good.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Ya, but at the end of a Google flights search it tells you to ring British Airways or whoever to book. The talking lark isn't what I had in mind.

Comment

Guessing the big cities here?

WA Perth
                                                  SAYING Adelaide
                                                  Vic Melbourne
                                                  NSW Sydney
                                                  Qld Brisbane
                                                  Tas Hobart
                                                  That's the one,
                                                  Avoided the fact the North isn't a state, and got Tasmania in its place.
                                                  And that the actual capital isn't a state capital.

"What's the capital of Australia/Brazil" was always a quiz favourite

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                    Gonna find myself in a horrible situation on Friday night. My team play my old team. Our chance of promotion is basically gone. We're currently 3rd, level on points with my old team in 2nd with 2 games in hand on us and team in 4th one point behind with 2 games in hand on us too.

If we beat my old team it could hamper their chances to go up cos team in 4th have handy fixtures left so should get maximum points. Manager rang me earlier to tell me I will be starting up front and to get my head round the idea of playing against them. Head has been wrecked all evening. Obviously cos my team won't go up, I want my old team to go up but my team will be expecting me to score given the chance. Fucking head is wrecked. Fuck sport
                                                    Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                    After two losses in a row it's clear that I am not great at handling defeat. I'm not the ungracious Jose/Pep type but when I get home I seem to take it so personally that I fall into a pit of misery. Anyone else react like that?
                                                    LOL KerryPeople
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

GOT Great line

SPOILER
                                                      "You were dead, and now you're not. That is completely fucking mad sense to me

Comment

Sligo and Kerry must be VERY different places

In the scenario Dobby just outlined, a Sligo lad would give up drink and be on steroids for about a month building up to the game, in order to absolutely smash the fuck out of his ex-club

& He would play wearing a t-shirt with this

SPOILER

on the front

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                          Don't think you get how long a grudge can last down those parts.

@dobby - You should just play the best you can. No matter what happens the one thing you can't control is how others may or may not interpret it.
                                                          Nah there's no grudges on either part. Grew up with the lads on my old team sure and my brother still plays. Switched clubs about 5 years ago but would still like to see them to up if we can't. Spoke to their goalie last night who is a good mate and he said we'll see what happens and may the best team win. Out for pints after so it's all good.
                                                          Last edited by dobby; 09-05-16, 09:46.

Comment

Totti still got it:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Once you get past Rathcoole , it's rednecks , culchies, mullahs and muck savages all the way. Up north it's bog dwellers ( according to Paisley )

Comment

Gonna find myself in a horrible situation on Friday night. My team play my old team. Our chance of promotion is basically gone. We're currently 3rd, level on points with my old team in 2nd with 2 games in hand on us and team in 4th one point behind with 2 games in hand on us too.

If we beat my old team it could hamper their chances to go up cos team in 4th have handy fixtures left so should get maximum points. Manager rang me earlier to tell me I will be starting up front and to get my head round the idea of playing against them. Head has been wrecked all evening. Obviously cos my team won't go up, I want my old team to go up but my team will be expecting me to score given the chance. Fucking head is wrecked. Fuck sport
                                                                Seems the issue is how since you left your old team they are now going to get promoted while your current setup are staying put - sounds like your concerns over scoring are for nothing

Comment

That's the one,
                                                                  Avoided the fact the North isn't a state, and got Tasmania in its place.
                                                                  And that the actual capital isn't a state capital.

"What's the capital of Australia/Brazil" was always a quiz favourite
                                                                  It helps that I've been to all 6 of those states and their capitals. Never been to ACT, but was in NT at the big rock, though not Darwin.

Capital of Canada is another one of those too.

Comment

My cousin released this morning after being detained for 3 days in North Korea along with two BBC colleagues. I'd say twas an interesting weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      Albany
                                                                      Sacramento
                                                                      Baton Rouge
                                                                      Springfield (might be wrong here)
                                                                      Nevada...dunno. Reno?
                                                                      Oregon, guessing Portland as it's the only city I know
                                                                      Florida, hmmm. Jacksonville?

Available for table quiz hire although know nothing of teen heartthrobs.
                                                                      Tallahassee. Go Seminoles!
                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                        My cousin released this morning after being detained for 3 days in North Korea along with two BBC colleagues. I'd say twas an interesting weekend.
                                                                        story time!

Comment

Ya, but at the end of a Google flights search it tells you to ring British Airways or whoever to book. The talking lark isn't what I had in mind.
                                                                          Hell is other people

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                            Seems the issue is how since you left your old team they are now going to get promoted while your current setup are staying put - sounds like your concerns over scoring are for nothing
                                                                            No. Definitely not. The club I play for now only formed 5 years ago and we've had 3 promotions in 5 seasons which is pretty impressive imo so no bad feeling about the old team going up at all and definitely no regrets leaving. We need another season in this division cos after playing a couple of teams in the division above in cup games we're not ready to step up yet.

The issue over scoring is that them losing could hamper their chances of promotion which I don't want to do. I'd rather see them go up because we can't. Best case scenario, I score, they win. Everybody is happy.

Comment

It helps that I've been to all 6 of those states and their capitals. Never been to ACT, but was in NT at the big rock, though not Darwin.

Yeah Canada is in a similar spot as Oz. The non capital cities are just much bigger an more accessible

Comment

Canberra is surprisingly nice, kind of a city in disguise as it's so verdant. Wallabies jumping on top of the parliament building.

Comment

Canbera has lots of nice attractions, like the War memorial.
                                                                                  But its an incredibly boring city. Very dead any time I've been there
                                                                                  Drove through on the way home from skiing one time, 6pm on a sunday and all shops, pubs, etc were losing.

All the federal types back home for the weekend I suppose.

Comment

I think Keane asked for a trip report of the gig. Will this do instead, review of the performance.

Jeff Lynne's Electric Light Orchestra at 3Arena, Dublin, 7th May 2016 Given how 2016 has treated music legends thus far, the news that Jeff Lynne was

Comment

Canbera has lots of nice attractions, like the War memorial.
                                                                                      But its an incredibly boring city. Very dead any time I've been there
                                                                                      Drove through on the way home from skiing one time, 6pm on a sunday and all shops, pubs, etc were losing.

All the federal types back home for the weekend I suppose.
                                                                                      LOL, true that. Do have a memory of trying, and failing, to find 'the city centre' for about three hours.

Although most Aussie downtown eating\drinking areas are dead Sun-Thurs anyway iirc

Comment

Thanks Willie.

Comment

Krakow in December, yay or nay?

Comment

LOL, true that. Do have a memory of trying, and failing, to find 'the city centre' for about three hours.

Although most Aussie downtown eating\drinking areas are dead Sun-Thurs anyway iirc
                                                                                            Melbourne and Sydney not so much, plenty of lively places in both from memory.

Comment

Out in the country (aka the bush) Sunday's can be dead, up towards the Hunter, or and of the backass towns. But not in Sydney or any of the proper cities. But tbf Canberra is like 10% size of Sydney.
                                                                                              I'm luckily spoiled for choice for restaurants/drink within walking distance.

Comment

No. Definitely not. The club I play for now only formed 5 years ago and we've had 3 promotions in 5 seasons which is pretty impressive imo so no bad feeling about the old team going up at all and definitely no regrets leaving. We need another season in this division cos after playing a couple of teams in the division above in cup games we're not ready to step up yet.

The issue over scoring is that them losing could hamper their chances of promotion which I don't want to do. I'd rather see them go up because we can't. Best case scenario, I score, they win. Everybody is happy.
                                                                                                def overthinking it dobbo. go out to win and play your best and if they are good enough, good for them.

I went up to watch my mates play in an inter pub league QF many years back. When I got there the other team were short and asked me to tog out. Put two newspapers in my socks as shin guards and away I went. Scored an absolute screamer of a free kick in the last minute to win it. Not joking when I say I was about 400 yards away in another pitch by the time I stopped celebrating. My mates thought about putting in an objection as I was a banger but realised it would only prolong the suffering. We still have the craic about it now on the odd occasion I bring it up

Comment

In all seriousness, mcnugget needs to make an appearance at one/every single one of these quizzes.

On another note, DublinBus rang me there saying they reviewed the incident and they apologised and are suspending him and bringing him in for his side of the story. Probably the only thing that will come out of it but happy I fucked his life up a little bit
                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

You are clearly a racist Dug

Comment

I don't deny it, hate that black cunt. Would absolutely love to find out where he lives and fuck with him. Kinda wish I didn't report him so I could do that now. I need a bit of mischief.

Enjoying trailer park boys so far so I am. For some reason I love that season 1 had 6 episodes, season 2 - 7, all the way up to season 5 - 10. Not really sure why I like it though
                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I don't deny it, hate that black cunt. Would absolutely love to find out where he lives and fuck with him. Kinda wish I didn't report him so I could do that now. I need a bit of mischief.

A bus drivers house?
                                                                                                          A bus driver who seemed ok about clipping you with his bus?

He would cave in your skull if you went near his fucking house

All the under the rainbow

Comment

Doug has a big muscle in his right arm m8

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                              def overthinking it dobbo. go out to win and play your best and if they are good enough, good for them.

I went up to watch my mates play in an inter pub league QF many years back. When I got there the other team were short and asked me to tog out. Put two newspapers in my socks as shin guards and away I went. Scored an absolute screamer of a free kick in the last minute to win it. Not joking when I say I was about 400 yards away in another pitch by the time I stopped celebrating. My mates thought about putting in an objection as I was a banger but realised it would only prolong the suffering. We still have the craic about it now on the odd occasion I bring it up
                                                                                                              Had something similar but in an inter company friendly

Couple of mates office were looking for games before the summer leagues, arranged a game for them against a place I used to work, ex-office 1 man short and manager of lads team said I go play with them

Mates argued the point but he wanted to try out his players etc

First 30 seconds i win a corner on the right, bang it in with the left foot straight onto the head of big centre half

Hilarity ensued

Comment

What's the correct line if you ride your excoaches daughter I like the crouch robot dance. Will recommend.
                                                                                                                Dobby don't read this before half six mass (ah too late )

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

A bus drivers house?
                                                                                                                  A bus driver who seemed ok about clipping you with his bus?

He would cave in your skull if you went near his fucking house

All the under the rainbow
                                                                                                                  Oh I wouldn't actually go near him or let him know I existed, sure he'd destroy me. I would however fuck with him in many ways during the night.

I'm bored a lot these days, thinking I need to find utterly horrible cunts and become them. Find the cunts who steal bikes and go slash some tyres, break some windows. Top bants.
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Oh I wouldn't actually go near him or let him know I existed, sure he'd destroy me. I would however fuck with him in many ways during the night.

I'm bored a lot these days, thinking I need to find utterly horrible cunts and become them. Find the cunts who steal bikes and go slash some tyres, break some windows. Top bants.

I was never 100% happy with the mono sound in this medley, so I have recently run the tracks through my software and digitally enhanced and cleaned the track...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                      Krakow in December, yay or nay?
                                                                                                                      Yay.
                                                                                                                      Was there that time of year a couple of years ago. Lovely spot with plenty of nice xmas markets etc.

Comment

Or just get a hobby - you strike me as the sort of guy who should take up carpentry.

Getting together some nice wood and slowly crafting it into the finest drinks cabinet man has ever seen - then selling it to Denny at a massive cost and buying cans

Comment

10 years ago today.

And Vice have done a piece to remind us all of its greatness

It is ten years since the BBC accidentally interviewed the wrong man called 'Guy'. But was it really a mistake?

Ten years, huh. Been a long time. We've all grown up, grown out. Got better, got wiser. Worked hard, worked long. Got on that grind. Ten years. A decade. A decade-o. A decade-y. A Big Deck. A tenner. But: who would have thought we'd be here? The only word is 'wow'. We did it together. We all got better together. I'm proud of you, proud of all of you. I'm proud of us.

Anyway ten years to the day since the BBC accidentally interviewed Guy Goma on live TV, and Guy Goma very pleasantly answered their questions about Apple Computer's court case with Apple Corps, despite quite visibly knowing nothing about either, and I don't think it's a push to say this was an iconic day, the day everything changed, for all of us, for everyone.

Consider the face Guy Goma pulls when he realises he is about to be interviewed on live TV about a subject he knows absolutely nothing about, and tell me you've never felt moments like this. This is proper that dream you have where you're doing your exam and you've forgotten to put any clothes on, only made flesh, the dream, made real, and happening to Guy Goma. This is that jolt of adrenalin that makes your whole body light up for days. This is walking into the wrong classroom on the first day of college and being like, 'Well, guess I have to learn about photosynthesis now, because I'm too polite to leave.' This is taking a train three hours in the wrong direction because you don't want to double-check with the guard that this does go to Hartlepool in case you look silly. This is Guy Goma's face contorting into a silent scream. Guy Goma thinking momentarily about mentioning the fact that he is the wrong man called 'Guy'. Guy Goma not going through with it. Guy Goma shutting his own mouth. Guy Goma taking a deep breath. Guy Goma knowing hell can't last forever. Guy Goma will be through the worst of it soon.

On this day of our lord ten years and one day ago, Guy Goma, so the story goes, was sat in BBC Television Centre awaiting a job interview as a data support cleanser in the company's IT department. Meanwhile, in a separate reception area called 'Stage Door', internet expert Guy Kewney was preparing for an on-air interview about Apple vs. Apple. You can see where this is going. A producer went to the wrong reception area and asked for someone called 'Guy' who was awaiting an interview. Guy Goma said he was Guy. Guy Kewney watched in confusion as a man who was not him but had his name was interviewed on BBC News. A legend was made.

To focus on the fine details of the Carry On–style mix-up that led to Guy Goma being confused for Guy Kerney and then being interviewed on TV as Guy Kerney despite being Guy Goma, lost and staring down the barrel of reality, Guy Goma silently going "aaaaaaHHHHHHH" when he hears the wrong surname being announced, Guy Goma trying his best— but to focus on the logistics of the mix-up detracts from the sheer quiet beauty of the interview itself. Firstly: because this is a man shitting his pants so hard it is going backwards, a man in a suit in the wrong place entirely, the living definition of blagging your way through an interview, Guy Goma seconds away from telling Karen Bowerman he sees himself in five years "uh... still here, and... uh... maybe in charge!", Guy Goma basically you when you were 17 and your mum made you put one of your dad's blazers on and ask for a job at Morrisons, and the store manager took you to a quiet office and asked you what your strengths and skills were and you said "err" for four straight minutes before answering, "uh, revision?", a small part of Guy Goma clearly suspecting this might be how the BBC actually does interview for data cleansers, Guy Goma is a man out of his depth but making it work, Guy Goma is thinking on his feet and killing it, Guy Goma is giving quotes so anodyne and anonymous that they are essentially about nothing but conversely so about nothing that it's hard to tell that he isn't an actual BBC News pundit, I mean is he even saying anything so wrong anyway, is this really that out of the ordinary, apart from the eyes searching longingly deep into the barrel of the camera and pleading for help and support— beyond that, is Guy Goma even that wrong about the internet? Take this quote, ten years ago today, by our saviour Guy Goma:

"Actually, if you can go everywhere you're gonna see a lot of people downloading through Internet and the website, everything they want. But I think it is much better for the development and...eh...to inform people what they want, and to get on the easy way, and so faster if they are looking for."

I ASK YOU: WAS GUY GOMA WRONG? I ask you: did Guy Goma just predict Spotify, predict Netflix? Did he see the way iTunes would go on to dominate the charts? Did he just foresee Tidal, like some tech Nostradamus, some baffled Oracle? Did the pundit in the ensuing segment not echo Guy Goma's sentiments immediately after he made them? Ask yourself: do you download through the Internet and the website? Do you have everything you want? Has there not been better development? Do you not want the easy way? Do you not look for it faster? Ask yourself: Put anyone on the spot and can they predict the future? Is that all psychics are? Just people under extreme pressure?

Ten years later and we don't appreciate Guy Goma for what he was: a man out of time, a future traveller sent to inform and shape our present, a soft-spoken arbiter of what we would become. Plus: I got nothing but respect for a man who knew he was in entirely the wrong place, at the wrong time, doing and saying the wrong things, but just trying his best anyway. Interviewing Guy Goma on BBC News wasn't a mistake. It was the single most important moment in the formation of the internet as we know it today. Guy Goma should have a regular segment on BBC Tech. We should make statues of him and pay respect to them. And, most of all, we should remember him. On fond days like this, ten years on from his wise words, raise a glass to Guy Goma. Raise a glass and think of him.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X