This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Most people's pace slows after 2 - 2.5k so it wouldn't be a simple conversion. Maybe convert then deduct 8%ish.
    This calculator convert pace between distance. I appears to hold true for converting between world records,

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
      SPOILER
      Good spot on the ruby. It seemed dulled.

As for the other thing, I agree completely. The entire Dorne plotline has been complete shit. It's not great in the books but it's not trash either.
      SPOILER
      a lot of wheel spinning going on a eg aryas storyline and Days. Danger signs are flashing ( the dorne stuff is awful,production values noticeably worse in those scenes. Its sprawled far too much,heading towards lost territory

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
        SPOILER
        a lot of wheel spinning going on a eg aryas storyline and Days. Danger signs are flashing ( the dorne stuff is awful,production values noticeably worse in those scenes. Its sprawled far too much,heading towards lost territory
        GRRM specifically called out Lost as the reason he finished ADWD so strongly. He watched the end of Lost, hated it, and then realised he was doing exactly the same thing to his fans. So he went back to the books with renewed enthusiasm. It was pretty infamous in writing cricles as they typically don't call each other like that.

I have faith it will get back on track, but there are many who don't.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            That's a big Hillsborough result. Is there any chance of prosectution of police management now? The Sun, after all, was only reporting the police line.

Edit: I don't know enough about the story, but my vague understanding - seemingly justified by today's judgement - is that the police / media conspired to create a story about these people being scumbags as opposed to people who were woefully cared for.
            Jury delivers decision about police action and other factors in the April 1989 crush during the Liverpool v Nottingham Forest FA Cup semi-final

There's a 12 min video there that summarises the whole shameful debacle. Classic institutional cover up, tried to trample over a bunch of normal people to protect their own self interest. It has taken reservoirs of determination from the families of those who died to reach this conclusive verdict.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
              SPOILER
              SPOILER
              Don't get me started on Dorne, fucking ridiculous scenes.
              Let's avenge Oberyn by slaughtering his family, he would have loved that.
              As for Melisendre (sp?) being a literal crone?
              Revisits again the concept of the old gods and the new huh?
              Anyway, Jon's gonna rise as R'hllor (might he have warged into Ghost?) imo
              I'm more interested in Arya summoning the powers of Jean Claude Van Damme

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have a Lenovo laptop, i7, only dual core and 8GB ram. Got it last summer, its black.

Its really struggling with photoshop, i would have assumed it could handle it better but seemingly not.

Would installing a SSD make any difference or is it down to RAM ?
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/l...t-live-updates

There's a 12 min video there that summarises the whole shameful debacle. Classic institutional cover up, tried to trample over a bunch of normal people to protect their own self interest. It has taken reservoirs of determination from the families of those who died to reach this conclusive verdict.
                  and liverpool fans are hated up and down the country for being mawkish as a result
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Is it 4-1 with an ambiguous unintended floater in the Scum-v-Scum game?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      and liverpool fans are hated up and down the country for being mawkish as a result
                      Can you explain what you mean here?

Are you saying Liverpool fans are hated all over the UK for chasing justice for Hillsborough for so long?

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                        I have a Lenovo laptop, i7, only dual core and 8GB ram. Got it last summer, its black.

Its really struggling with photoshop, i would have assumed it could handle it better but seemingly not.

Would installing a SSD make any difference or is it down to RAM ?
                        i'm surprised it's lagging tbh (8gigs of ram should be more than enough) but photoshop can be very resource intensive. Are you using a lite version, if not i'd recommend it, and if you're using it just for photos, switch to lightroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          Can you explain what you mean here?

Are you saying Liverpool fans are hated all over the UK for chasing justice for Hillsborough for so long?
                          It is not the chasing justice but the feeling that the revel in their tragedy, at least that what I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                            i'm surprised it's lagging tbh (8gigs of ram should be more than enough) but photoshop can be very resource intensive. Are you using a lite version, if not i'd recommend it, and if you're using it just for photos, switch to lightroom.
                            Especially noticeable when merging 5-6 panorama shots, shooting in RAW so each file is 20mb, the whole machine just hangs up for 30-60seconds.

Its the creative cloud version, availing of the 30day free trial.

I had a dodgy version of LR, worked fine, tried to install a dodgy PS and virus all over the shop, so said i would go down the monthly rental price for 12 months.

Im also a divil for multiple tabs and pages in FF, that hogs around 500mb of ram also.

edit: maybe its only 4GB of RAM i have, ill check later when i get home.
                            Last edited by oleras; 26-04-16, 13:27.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

It is not the chasing justice but the feeling that the revel in their tragedy, at least that what I've been told.
                              Really. No idea myself so just curious. Always will be a small minority doing that no matter what the situation is.

Comment

Really. No idea myself so just curious. Always will be a small minority doing that no matter what the situation is.
                                This attitude from Boris on the right:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

TBH I think most people felt that as in most of these things that even if you knew that the police were covering up their incompetence and culpability there had to be some element of truth to the fans behaviour being one of the causes of the tragedy. You have also got to remember the facts and the consequences of Heysel were fresh in the memory. I think there was a general feeling that Liverpool club and fans were showing the same kind high handed arrogance as their refusal to accept their responsibility for Heysel along with the general disposition of and public perception of soccer fans at the time that made it easy for the police to get away with a cover up.
                                  Its extraordinary the way 'official Britain' can repeatedly persist in creating an alternate reality that they refuse to allow to bend to the facts whenever reality is an 'appalling vista' they can't face up to.
                                  Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-04-16, 13:48.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Its actually snowing

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Its actually snowing
                                      lol, here as well!!

Comment

Have an offer for a new job which I will accept. Notice handed in and already started handing over.

Many thanks to RichieM for organising it! IPB delivers yet again.

Comment

Have an offer for a new job which I will accept. Notice handed in and already started handing over.

who are you selling out for now?
                                          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                            who are you selling out for now?
                                            Version 1. They'll be dumping me on their most messed up project as a proving ground. The trick in that situation is to be just successful enough that they think you're good, but not too successful that they never take you off the project.

Fun times ahead.

Comment

GAB caught red handed on TV sniffing around the best dressed ladies

Comment

Silly statement tbh. Only the small minority think like that. Hillsborough was a disgrace. I was there years beforehand and the cops on horseback ploughed through the crowd outside. Get out of the way or else. Wanders. I'LL never forget that dick feeling watching lifeless bodies on the pitch.

Comment

Version 1. They'll be dumping me on their most messed up project as a proving ground. The trick in that situation is to be just successful enough that they think you're good, but not too successful that they never take you off the project.

Fun times ahead.
                                                  Contracting or staff?

Comment

Contracting or staff?
                                                    Staff. Intention is to rotate me around different projects and stuff. Looking forward to it now. Variety is the bestest.

Comment

Comment

The mother took a fall and cut herself up fairly bad , the joys of about 10 hours in James's A&E to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          GAB caught red handed on TV sniffing around the best dressed ladies
                                                          Standard.

In other news, the once-excellent Saigon City on Amiens St has morphed into a bog standard Chinese takeaway. Why Cruel World, why?

Had to decamp to Parnell St in search of a spice infusion.
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I was waiting for a signed contract but I guess this is much more binding.

Comment

So can someone explain in simple terms what that Hillsborough judgment means? I've no idea about the whole situation and I'm sick of seeing drool on Facebook etc. It sounds like it wasn't any of the fans fault and they were killed, but how? What actually happened that day?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                  That phenomenal Viet pho place that Teresa once recommended near Connolly Station turned into a standard Irish-Italian chippers. Was incredibly disappointing. Didn't know pho was good before Teresa and now can't find it anywhere despite desperately checking. Had some here recently in an otherwise class place that was like they had kept the meat stewing for a few hours (as opposed to what you might remember the pho place in Dublin as slicing raw thin slices of fillet beef to slowly get immersed in the broth)
                                                                  Pho Viet on Parnell St is only OK.

Was talking to a woman who is half-Vietnamese and she was giving me the inside scoop that the best Vietnamese in Dublin is to be found in some joint on Capel Street.

Going to Pickle on Saturday so hopefully that will resuscitate my jaded taste buds.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    So can someone explain in simple terms what that Hillsborough judgment means? I've no idea about the whole situation and I'm sick of seeing drool on Facebook etc. It sounds like it wasn't any of the fans fault and they were killed, but how? What actually happened that day?
                                                                    Lots of Liverpool fans turned up without tickets

Police couldn't cope & opened a gate sending them all down into the 2 centre pens.

Fans at the front crushed to death.

Nobody reacted quickly enough (Police/Stewards etc - although I personally doubt it would have made a huge difference at that stage)

Public outrage as people assumed it was more Hooliganism (including the infamous Sun newspaper headline)

Guts of 30 years trying to get blame off Liverpool fans

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      Standard.

In other news, the once-excellent Saigon City on Amiens St has morphed into a bog standard Chinese takeaway. Why Cruel World, why?

Had to decamp to Parnell St in search of a spice infusion.
                                                                      It was either that or moonlight in harvested organs to make ends meet.

I have turned against pho over the past while as I end up with a blistered tongue every time I eat it. That stuff will just not cool down. And I have a, um, sensitive tongue. Could never fathom how people would buy chips and straight into the mouth with them.

Comment

Was talking to a woman who is half-Vietnamese and she was giving me the inside scoop that the best Vietnamese in Dublin is to be found in some joint on Capel Street.
                                                                        I think there's more than one on Capel Street. The last few phos I have had have been in Aobaba 46 Capel Street - 3 doors up from Boyles.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                          It was either that or moonlight in harvested organs to make ends meet.

I have turned against pho over the past while as I end up with a blistered tongue every time I eat it. That stuff will just not cool down. And I have a, um, sensitive tongue. Could never fathom how people would buy chips and straight into the mouth with them.
                                                                          Could be worse, this Korean place has T20 on a massive telly. Good time-killing before I get to find out exactly who is afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Comment

Watch the 30 for 30 on it.
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                              Watch the 30 for 30 on it.
                                                                              I don't know what that is? Presume its a documentary? Done independently or by fans?

Comment

Could be worse, this Korean place has T20 on a massive telly. Good time-killing before I get to find out exactly who is afraid of Virginia Woolf.
                                                                                Tell them that we all love Soo-Min Lee.

Comment

I don't know what that is? Presume its a documentary? Done independently or by fans?
                                                                                  Google m8. Tells you all sorts of stuff. espn docs done by different people, not sure who did that one but it's good. You'll be angry watching it.
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

No they didn't.

Comment

Police couldn't cope & opened a gate sending them all down into the 2 centre pens.

Fans at the front crushed to death.

Nobody reacted quickly enough (Police/Stewards etc - although I personally doubt it would have made a huge difference at that stage)

Public outrage as people assumed it was more Hooliganism (including the infamous Sun newspaper headline)

Guts of 30 years trying to get blame off Liverpool fans
                                                                                      No. Just, NO.

How a crush at a FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest developed, leading to the deaths of 96 football fans.
                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                        Google m8. Tells you all sorts of stuff. espn docs done by different people, not sure who did that one but it's good. You'll be angry watching it.
                                                                                        Angry at the way the fans were treated and the cover up?

Originally posted by JamieCarra View Post
                                                                                        No they didn't.
                                                                                        Elaborate?
                                                                                        Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                        Thanks, lots to get through there. Saved for later.

Comment

No they didn't.
                                                                                          My bad, thought that was the reason for opening the gate.

Comment

Luas operator Transdev has threatened to impose a 10% pay cut on drivers if they continue their strike action over pay.
                                                                                            Transdev has warns that if the work-to-rule continues beyond 4am on Friday 29 April, and members of the SIPTU driver grade do not commit in writing to carrying out the full range of duties required under their contracts of employment, the company will reduce their pay by at least 10%.
                                                                                            escalation!

Comment

Angry at the way the fans were treated and the cover up?

Elaborate?

Thanks, lots to get through there. Saved for later.
                                                                                              Yes, and that disgusting excuse for a newspaper
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Elaborate?
                                                                                                In short...

10,100 people have to get into the terrace where Liverpool supporters are based. To get in there they have to pass through 1 of 7 turnstiles.

There are about 2,000 or so of them still outside the gate just before kick off. An order is given to open the side gate and just to allow them go straight in. This is a bad mistake but probably not a fatal one.

The fatal error was in not closing the tunnel directly in front of them that lead to the central pens of the terrace, pens 3 and 4. These were already packed full. If the tunnel was closed the balance of the 2000 would have moved to the relatively sparsely populated pens on either side.

2,000 people rush through into pens 3 and 4 just as the match kicks off. The exits from the pens are all at the back and when the crowd moves forward as kick off begins it starts a mass crush.

A barrier gives way in pen 3 causing people to fall over and creating another surge of force towards the front of the pen. Within 6 minutes the match was abandoned. It's likely a number of people were already dead by then.

Comment

In short...

10,100 people have to get into the terrace where Liverpool supporters are based. To get in there they have to pass through 1 of 7 turnstiles.

There are about 2,000 or so of them still outside the gate just before kick off. An order is given to open the side gate and just to allow them go straight in. This is a bad mistake but probably not a fatal one.

The fatal error was in not closing the tunnel directly in front of them that lead to the central pens of the terrace, pens 3 and 4. These were already packed full. If the tunnel was closed the balance of the 2000 would have moved to the relatively sparsely populated pens on either side.

2,000 people rush through into pens 3 and 4 just as the match kicks off. The exits from the pens are all at the back and when the crowd moves forward as kick off begins it starts a mass crush.

A barrier gives way in pen 3 causing people to fall over and creating another surge of force towards the front of the pen. Within 6 minutes the match was abandoned. It's likely a number of people were already dead by then.
                                                                                                  Jesus that's tough to read.

Comment

Ronaldo really hasn't turned up tonight .

Comment

Tomorrow we'll tell you about the moon landing m8

Comment

Elaborate?
                                                                                                        Kayroo's video will explain it a bit better but essentially the ticketless fans nonsense was part of the cover up story put out by SY police in the aftermath.

Basically, Liverpool were allocated the smaller end of the ground which had a very small number of turnstiles (only 7 turnstiles for the bottom tier which held approx 10k fans). As a result there was a large amount of fans still trying to get into the ground with around 20 minutes to go until kick off so Duckenfield instructed the exit gate beside the turnstiles to be opened.

By this stage the area directly behind the goals was already extremely crowded(and should have been closed off or at the very least there should have been someone directing people into the fairly empty pens at either side) and a significant number of the people that had been let in through the gate will have gone into one of the already overcrowded central pens.

This video is also worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIa3u7NfPkM

Comment

That's the super sanitised version.

The video of people handing children to the liverpool fans in the tier above the terrace to escape the crush is pretty heart rending. Fans carrying their friends on advertising hoardings because there are no stretchers. It was horrific

Comment

De Bruyne is a little genius.

Sigh.

Comment

Kayroo's video will explain it a bit better but essentially the ticketless fans nonsense was part of the cover up story put out by SY police in the aftermath.

Basically, Liverpool were allocated the smaller end of the ground which had a very small number of turnstiles (only 7 turnstiles for the bottom tier which held approx 10k fans). As a result there was a large amount of fans still trying to get into the ground with around 20 minutes to go until kick off so Duckenfield instructed the exit gate beside the turnstiles to be opened.

By this stage the area directly behind the goals was already extremely crowded(and should have been closed off or at the very least there should have been someone directing people into the fairly empty pens at either side) and a significant number of the people that had been let in through the gate will have gone into one of the already overcrowded central pens.

This video is also worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIa3u7NfPkM
                                                                                                              What are the likely follow on repercussions, if any, of todays verdicts (I just read them now)?

Comment

What are the likely follow on repercussions, if any, of todays verdicts (I just read them now)?
                                                                                                                I'm not really sure what options are going to be available to them to be honest but would certainly expect them to be seeking prosecutions for SYPP, Duckenfield and any officers actively involved in the cover up.

Just after seeing this picture of a response from the S*n to a letter following their coverage.

Comment

I have a feeling Iheanacho will score.

Comment

Winner

Comment

I have a feeling Iheanacho will score.
                                                                                                                      Are you looking at modric thinking if only? Still has it and would be great to see alongside kane. Albeit Erics is decent too

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                        Are you looking at modric thinking if only? Still has it and would be great to see alongside kane. Albeit Erics is decent too
                                                                                                                        Lol. When I switched it on I spent a minute thinking "Sigh, imagine Bale and Modric in our current team." And then I thought about how good Eriksen is in his way.

I also puzzled as to why Bale is not nearly as good as he was at Spurs. I mean, he was unplayable in his last season, and yet is average enough for Madrid when I see him.

The buigest difference between that Spurs team with Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart is that Redknapp hadn't a clue but Poch is incredible. He's actually too good unfortunately. Can't see him being at Spurs in 3 seasons time. I just hope he's there next season.

Comment

Lol. When I switched it on I spent a minute thinking "Sigh, imagine Bale and Modric in our current team." And then I thought about how good Eriksen is in his way.

I also puzzled as to why Bale is not nearly as good as he was at Spurs. I mean, he was unplayable in his last season, and yet is average enough for Madrid when I see him.

The buigest difference between that Spurs team with Bale, Modric, Van der Vaart is that Redknapp hadn't a clue but Poch is incredible. He's actually too good unfortunately. Can't see him being at Spurs in 3 seasons time. I just hope he's there next season.
                                                                                                                          Madrid are going to take him when they get sick of Zidane but yis will get paid big bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X