Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see Ethiopian airlines have LAX return for €412 in Sept, anyone flown Ethiopian airlines? Strewl, pokerhand?

Looking for somewhere with guaranteed decent weather in Sept for two weeks and cheap enough as have a big holiday planned for July 2017. Suggestions welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      agreed.
      Octopus is a prime example.
      Cephalopods are strange fucking creatures. So far from us but so close. Their eyes have evolved superior to ours. Think about it. We diverged so long ago, that eyes hadn't even developed. Fucking eyes. Our eyes are inside out. We have the support level of cells (i.e. blood and shit) on the close side of our retina. That's why you see floaters and worms (little squiggly fuckers). We're seeing our blood flow between our detectors.
      Their eyes have detectors fed from the bottom. So their eye cells see first the light, then get blood and waste removal.
      Cephalopods are the most advanced organism that is the most distant from vertebrates.
      Fuckers freak me out
      They taste fantastic too
      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        And a final news recap (!). Find the growth in solar power fascinating. China adding 100 GWH in solar capacity in the next four years. For the scale of that - the UK total energy production is 90 GWH. It's like a new goldrush. Are we essentially moving towards something close to 100% renewables, once we can sort the storage issue out?

What the fck are the oil companies going to do, when there is endless ultracheap (eventually) solar electricity making electric cars much cheaper to run compared to petrol?

Makes that Ted Cruz promise at the weekend to 'make America a leader in coal again', just bizarre by contrast when you look at what China and India are doing.

These guys are coming from an ethical/save the planet perspective but their materials on oil and the future of carbon are very interesting and well researched and reasoned.

Really makes you wonder about investing in Big Oil over the long term....
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          Did you piece of shit (newish) Dell cost the same as her Macbook? If not it is a bit of an unfair comparison.
          Ya I love that shit

My Mac is better than your laptop so Mac is better

My laptop cost me £250 ish and is fit for purpose, how much did your Mac cost?

Eeeehhhhhhhhh errrrr, you just don't get apple!

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
            I see Ethiopian airlines have LAX return for €412 in Sept, anyone flown Ethiopian airlines? Strewl, pokerhand?

Looking for somewhere with guaranteed decent weather in Sept for two weeks and cheap enough as have a big holiday planned for July 2017. Suggestions welcome.
            I've flown the Dublin Addis Ababa leg of the route a few times. Service is good, planes are new, timetable worked well for my trips, not sure how the times would play out for LA.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              I've flown the Dublin Addis Ababa leg of the route a few times. Service is good, planes are new, timetable worked well for my trips, not sure how the times would play out for LA.
              Just considering how cheap LAX is with them, wanted an opinion on what they are like. Going to have a look at their flight locations now and try pick a destination.

Website isn't the most user friendly so far.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

And a final news recap (!). Find the growth in solar power fascinating. China adding 100 GWH in solar capacity in the next four years. For the scale of that - the UK total energy production is 90 GWH. It's like a new goldrush. Are we essentially moving towards something close to 100% renewables, once we can sort the storage issue out?

What the fck are the oil companies going to do, when there is endless ultracheap (eventually) solar electricity making electric cars much cheaper to run compared to petrol?

Makes that Ted Cruz promise at the weekend to 'make America a leader in coal again', just bizarre by contrast when you look at what China and India are doing.
                  If you burn enough coal the smog will make solar power unusable - Ted Cruz Evil genius

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                    It's rather the aptly named, blob-fish.

We've explored 5% of the ocean, who knows what the fuck us down there.

Shell oil drilling rig filmed this in 2007. It's a juvenile of a rarely seen squid. They never seen the adults.
                    (It's a big fin squid Hitch)

Here's a composite image from the above
                    SPOILER
                    Jaysis

How far down is that?

Comment

Ryan might only run if there was a decent chance he could win and that would mean being up against Sanders.
                      I'm confused as to who exactly is ruled in and ruled out in a contested convention and a brokered convention, I thought the likes of Ryan and Romney could only run from a brokered convention
                      If they were both restricted to being nominated by a brokered convention they will want to go for someone who can pull them back from the abyss and rescue their credibility as a functioning party. Romney would be obvious safe pair of hands and a maybe better value at 300 to Ryan's 80.
                      It's not as simple as "If Donald doesn't get it on the first count then anyone can get it"

First Ballot
                      Basically, and there isn't much about this that is basic, there are about 85% of delegates who MUST vote the way the primary results required on the first ballot. This includes for people like Bush, Walker, Carson and Rubio.

There are some unbound delegates who can vote however they choose.

There are also some delegates who CAN vote for the person who originally won their delegate count (Rubio etc) but can also be released from doing so and become free votes if the candidate they were selected for is no longer standing. (Hence why people suspend their campaigns rather than end them) Rubio has written to every single one of his pledged delegates to remind them he is still running and they must vote for him.

Second Ballot
                      If, after the first ballot, there is no nominee then we get about 35% of pledged delegates who become unbound. Some of these become unbound by virtue of their State Party rules even from a candidate who is still in the race. In this scenario Trump's awful management of state and district nomination conventions could come back to haunt him. The pledged delegates who are legally obliged to vote for him on the first ballot are being selected from the Cruz pool of delegates. They should overwhelmingly swap to Cruz on Second and subsequent ballots. Trump made such a mess of this he listed 9 nominees in Wyoming recently who were all from the same congressional district despite the State Party rules limiting delegates from the same district to 2. Trump ended up losing out in no small part because he is bad at management.
                      SPOILER
                      IRONY!!!

Third Ballot and Onwards
                      Very unlikely we get to a third ballot but at this stage 81% of all delegates become unbound. At this point it's essentially a free-for-all. Some delegates remain bound through any number of ballots but that counts for little once we get to the third ballot.

At this point the Rules Committee become super important. Someone could be nominated by acclamation. The order of the platform speakers for example could be very interesting. Not just anyone is eligible but you better believe the GOP Rules Committee will find a way to open it up to more palatable candidates if they think they'll get away with it.
                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                        Jaysis

How far down is that?
                        The data at the top says a depth of 7828, I'd assume that feets (about 2400m).

Basically they don't what they are. This is a juvenile big fin squid. And they think it might turn into the freaks above, but they don't know as they've never caught one

Comment

Shipped off to Kilkenny this morning as someone rang in sick , bribed by a 20 euro one for the all voucher and can finish at 5.30
                          Said store is on a blank all week.
                          Huge fucking art exhibition has just been set up in front of my stand and management are expecting me to pull something out of the bag for them today.
                          Id say it will be a top from river island
                          Pray for Michelle. One time
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

100% renewables is not achievable for many reasons, but the storage issue can be hugely mitigated by decentralising the grid. When everyone's generating their own power, storing spare in a battery and feeding the leftovers back into the grid, there's very little need for expensive and inefficient mass storage and transport.

Those proposed huge solar fields are a waste of time. What we need is solar panels and wind turbines on every rooftop on the planet. We'll still need big nuclear/carbon plants for overcast days with no wind, but not much.

The biggest problem is getting the materials for decent batteries. Batteries suck and the best ones require lots of expensive rare earth metals. We were hoping something great would emerge from carbon nanotubes but that doesn't seem to have happened (yet).
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

And for the final installment of The ocean is terrifying. Here's a Eel doing an incredible fish-yoga-attack

Full video here, includes details of their jaws in the back of their throat (just like in Aliens)
                                A deadly battle between two moray eels.➡ Subscribe: http://bit.ly/NatGeoWILDSubscribe➡ Get More Animal Fight Night: https://on.natgeo.com/2mfNUaW#NatGeoWILD ...

Comment

That's interesting Kayroo. It'll be some system if Trump, as is likely, gets to the convention with three million more votes than the next candidate of the list and 95%+ of the delegates needed only to be denied.

Or say that even Cruz is passed over and Kasich gets it despite currently him being behind Marco Rubio who isn't even in the campaign.

It's rather Republican really - just giving a lovely big fckyou to their voters
                                  Actually the Republican primary and caucus system has actually favoured Trump overall. In an article on FiveThirtyEight this weekend they did a good breakdown of the difference between the amount of votes Trump gets and the amount of delegates he gets. It averages out that he gets about 10.6% more delegates than his vote share.

Hard to give out about a set of rules that favour you overall but that you've failed to exploit properly. If he was an even mildly competent political operator he'd have this sewn up by now.
                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Comment

This hillwalker judgement is so tilting http://www.thejournal.ie/judgement-i...21246-Apr2016/

Farmers are already bad enough with access where I live,shit like this is going to rile them no end. If this woman was a member of my family I'd stop talking to them. What is wrong with people today,not everything that happens to you is someone else's fault. I've actually had a few low level things happen to me that I could have claimed for (and prob got a ball of cash for) if I was a massively entitled cunt.
                                      The guy looking for compo for bring fired after videoing himself taking coke another example of this entitlement culture

Comment

Hillwalker is a cunt.

Judge is a cunt too.

Terrible, terrible precedent.

Comment

Hitch, some of your 11 year old boards.ie posts made the Journal!

Great job predicting how it wouldn't catch on!

Comment

Dunno really, if you tell people they have to walk on this raised plank of wood, and they sustain the accident on a rotting part of it then a case of negligence looks at least plausible.

Its not as if she was suing coz she tripped over a tree root or slipped on a muddy path of thistle.

Comment

AJ confirmed cunt too

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                Dunno really, if you tell people they have to walk on this raised plank of wood, and they sustain the accident on a rotting part of it then a case of negligence looks at least plausible.

Its not as if she was suing coz she tripped over a tree root or slipped on a muddy path of thistle.
                                                Old railway sleepers usually heavily treated with resin but being organic dont last forever.

Comment

Comment

Nice to see the irish gymnyst who qualified for Rio the girl not the fellanot look like a pre pubescent girl.
                                                    Makes watching it feel less uneasy now.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

The gas thing is when you actually walk along the sleepers you often have to jump off and get back on as you meet other walkers. Can be dangerous and lead to falls and slips quite easily.

The sleepers are there to protect the mountain and plants from erosion not to make the walk "safer" for those that choose to walk there in my view.

The issue here seems to be that people are directed to walk on the structure and therefore there is a duty of care to maintain the structure as per the judge's decision. And it feels a bit like we're blaming the judge for acting in accordance with the law of the land, rather than blaming those who have allowed these rules which discourage landowners from sharing access to their land to remain in place for years.

The more interesting outcome of this case is if our legislators actually went and indemnified landowners for those who got injured walking across their land. That would stop all of this nonsense and is long overdue...

Alternatively we could simply change the wording and say in order to protect the flora and fauna we'd ask you to try to stick to the sleepers as much as possible - but if you're the sort of person who will sue us for falling off these sleepers then please stick to the boggy wetlands and do not in any circumstances use the sleepers. Still wouldn't be enough mind...
                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                          Actually the Republican primary and caucus system has actually favoured Trump overall. In an article on FiveThirtyEight this weekend they did a good breakdown of the difference between the amount of votes Trump gets and the amount of delegates he gets. It averages out that he gets about 10.6% more delegates than his vote share.

Hard to give out about a set of rules that favour you overall but that you've failed to exploit properly. If he was an even mildly competent political operator he'd have this sewn up by now.
                                                          Surely his team should be at blame too

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                            This hillwalker judgement is so tilting http://www.thejournal.ie/judgement-i...21246-Apr2016/

Farmers are already bad enough with access where I live,shit like this is going to rile them no end. If this woman was a member of my family I'd stop talking to them. What is wrong with people today,not everything that happens to you is someone else's fault. I've actually had a few low level things happen to me that I could have claimed for (and prob got a ball of cash for) if I was a massively entitled cunt.
                                                            The guy looking for compo for bring fired after videoing himself taking coke another example of this entitlement culture
                                                            I think farmers have to be safe enough from this judgement. Farmer generally exist in an "enter at your own risk" type of state. In this case the NPWS left themselves exposed by building a dodgy walkway then putting up signs telling people to stick to the walkway.

$40k sounds crazy excessive for a scraped knee.

Comment

The walkway is shit but the walker is a monumental cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                                The walkway is shit but the walker is a monumental cunt.
                                                                You know who is another cunt? CycleDub on YouTube.

Comment

Send them all to Sligo and tell them to ask for "the seven bridge's " walk

If they come back alive they might be entitled to a pint in the nearest pub

Comment

I was listening a bit to the freakonmoics podcast on the way in to work this morning. A great discussion on the merits of a universal minimum payment for all set at a low but meaningful level. Say €12kp.a. in an Irish context for adults and €3kp.a. for kids.

Do away with all other social payments and have one payment payable to all which is reduced if you have an income but not on a euro for euro basis so as not to create a sharp disincentive for working (say reduction of €1 for every €3 you earn).

A very interesting idea to create a universal safety net which wouldn't cost nearly as much as you'd think as you'd do away with everything else (dole, disability benefits, children's allowance and state pensions etc) and all of the administrative shite that comes with that.

Plus the money would in general be spent in the local economy.

How do you fund it? There are a lot of benefits to very wealthy people and corporations in having a peaceful existence and that price might be worth paying if it was administered efficiently, in particular with labour intensive businesses disappearing and the ongoing jobless productivity gains we have which can and will lead to further unrest. Plus the income tax bands could be brought down (in particular the standard rate band) once you have this universal payment.

Lot's of socioeconomic benefits arising from it as kids would stay in school longer, poor peoples health would be better and a lot of bureaucracy would disappear over time.

Certainly worth a listen whether you are left or right leaning as the idea has merits from both political viewpoints.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                      But that is the point surely.

He's been dying to go viral for 8 years. Nothing really happened in that video last week.

Clearly a cnut. But a hilarious one.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                        I was listening a bit to the freakonmoics podcast on the way in to work this morning. A great discussion on the merits of a universal minimum payment for all set at a low but meaningful level. Say €12kp.a. in an Irish context for adults and €3kp.a. for kids.

Do away with all other social payments and have one payment payable to all which is reduced if you have an income but not on a euro for euro basis so as not to create a sharp disincentive for working (say reduction of €1 for every €3 you earn).

A very interesting idea to create a universal safety net which wouldn't cost nearly as much as you'd think as you'd do away with everything else (dole, disability benefits, children's allowance and state pensions etc) and all of the administrative shite that comes with that.

Plus the money would in general be spent in the local economy.

How do you fund it? There are a lot of benefits to very wealthy people and corporations in having a peaceful existence and that price might be worth paying if it was administered efficiently, in particular with labour intensive businesses disappearing and the ongoing jobless productivity gains we have which can and will lead to further unrest. Plus the income tax bands could be brought down (in particular the standard rate band) once you have this universal payment.

Lot's of socioeconomic benefits arising from it as kids would stay in school longer, poor peoples health would be better and a lot of bureaucracy would disappear over time.

Certainly worth a listen whether you are left or right leaning as the idea has merits from both political viewpoints.
                                                                        Efforts in Finland to try an experiment with this already being worked on.

Here's their details behind the Finnish experiment - http://www.basicincome.org/news/2015...-what-we-know/

Guardian opinion piece interesting too - http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ocial-security

One thing that's always worth considering is the edge cases that this would exacerbate. We couldn't really get rid of an awful lot of the Social Welfare system on the back of this, or else you'd have long term disabled people barely covering the cost of their healthcare let alone their lives. There are plenty of cases where people require far, far more than what UBI could offer them.

This doesn't mean that it's a bad idea, just that the efficiencies might not be quite what they've been made out to be.
                                                                        Last edited by Emmet; 18-04-16, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                          Autism flows through his veins.

Comment

V, Haven't they already starting trying this in some countries? I remember reading of one very recently.

Edit - Just seem Emmet's post.

Opr

Comment

These are some very impressive moves to get onto an empty pitch

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

We have those railway sleepers in torc mountain down here too. They are wrapped in wire mesh to keep them together and for extra grip I assume. Anyway, there is also a sign at the start of the route that says please walk on pathway "where possible" or something like that. There's parts of the route where there are no sleepers and you're walking on rock/stone/whatever but I always thought it was your own fault if you get hurt. Walker is a dick, as has been mentioned.

Comment

This is awesome
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

At the weekend we got a call that the daughter of a friend of ours was killed after being rushed by a herd of Elephants in the Congo while out there working for National Geographic. What a terrible thing to happen.

The National Geographic Society is a global nonprofit organization that uses the power of science, exploration, education and storytelling to illuminate and protect the wonder of our world. Since 1888, National Geographic has pushed the boundaries of exploration, investing in bold people and transformative ideas, providing more than 15,000 grants for work across all seven continents, reaching 3 million students each year through education offerings, and engaging audiences around the globe through signature experiences, stories and content. To learn more, visit www.nationalgeographic.org or follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Facebook.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          Efforts in Finland to try an experiment with this already being worked on.

Here's their details behind the Finnish experiment - http://www.basicincome.org/news/2015...-what-we-know/

Guardian opinion piece interesting too - http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ocial-security

One thing that's always worth considering is the edge cases that this would exacerbate. We couldn't really get rid of an awful lot of the Social Welfare system on the back of this, or else you'd have long term disabled people barely covering the cost of their healthcare let alone their lives. There are plenty of cases where people require far, far more than what UBI could offer them.

This doesn't mean that it's a bad idea, just that the efficiencies might not be quite what they've been made out to be.
                                                                                          There is definitely extra costs up front but there are a lot of long term savings from the societal improvements that are often disregarded in these debates.

It's an interesting idea to come at from a capitalist perspective rather than a socialist view of the world. It feels like it could be a bit like the benefits of eating right and getting exercise. On the face of it more expensive on an annual basis but long run overwhelmingly positive.

Comment

PASSENGERS will be able to use the Luas this weekend after drivers cancelled a 48-hour strike as their colleagues begin talks.

Wasn't sure if this bit was from Waterford Whispers or not

Union official Owen Reidy said they have also sought a meeting with Minister for Transport, Paschal Donohoe.

“Drivers have unconditionally agreed to cancel this weekend’s strikes to demonstrate their good will and bona fides in trying to resolve the dispute,” he said.

When asked why they refused to do this during the 1916 commemoration weekend, he said that was “in the past”.

Comment

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-34637642.html

Wasn't sure if this bit was from Waterford Whispers or not
                                                                                              Reality creeping in. Time to put the boot in Transdev!
                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In other news. We are genuine idiots.

Comment

I did the Wicklow Challenge for Debra and Enable Ireland a few years back. Those Sleepers were very handy. I did injure myself slightly when one leg went chest high into a bog so I was grateful whenever the sleepers covered the terrain. That 40k award is so fcked up I don't know where to begin. When women her age injure themselves out hill walking it should be deemed ' injured by natural causes' similar to when someone 90 is hit by a truck. Verdict - Death by natural causes

Comment

I had one of those weird feverish nightmares and it featured a blobfish, Mellor definitely getting the blame for that one.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0416/782...on-poll-times/
                                                                                                      And still nobody will admit voting for them....

Comment

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0416/782...on-poll-times/

The knives must getting a good sharpening now.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          My friend admitted voting for them.
                                                                                                          He and his missus work in a college and want the good times to return.
                                                                                                          He works a 32 hour week in admin currently on the piss in Belfast on some week long educational trip.

Comment

Oscar Powell is a god amongst men

Comment

Oscar Powell is a god amongst men
                                                                                                              When he was by his increasingly sexy capitan asked to contribute on a question that clearly didn't interest him "Oh I zoned out "

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-04-16, 19:33.

Comment

My family and ex girlfriend all said they voted for them. Combination of new taxes, Irish Water ,things were better under FF, 'they've learned their lesson'. Was depressing.

Comment

This is an excellent (long) read. The sugar conspiracy
                                                                                                                  I'm a busy man, give me the gist of it.
                                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Fair City pulls in 850k viewers. I don't know that I know any of them. It's a mad world.
                                                                                                                    Mrs Brown's boys, sadly I do know some.
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                      My family and ex girlfriend all said they voted for them. Combination of new taxes, Irish Water ,things were better under FF, 'they've learned their lesson'. Was depressing.
                                                                                                                      Solid enough reason to end a relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                                                                        Fair City pulls in 850k viewers. I don't know that I know any of them. It's a mad world.
                                                                                                                        Mrs Brown's boys, sadly I do know some.
                                                                                                                        so you're saying it's definitely correlated...must stop paying licence fee

Comment

Was going to watch a film with a friend, "Diary of a Teenage Girl". She downloaded it, took ages. We sat back to watch it. Says "I love a good coming of age film". It definitely wasn't the right film pmsl. She was mortified as it dawned on her, took a few lines to realize it was just a good ole porn.
                                                                                                                          Opens up with some young girls face, thinking to herself.... "There are some things I don' tell my friends, or share on social media..."

*pans out slowly to her in underwear on a bed.*

It quickly devolved into penis'.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X