This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    How many deaths has there been worldwide in MMA? Its extremely rare right? Media are going to have a field day,Adrian Kennedy piling in already
    5 deaths in sanctioned MMA, including this one I believe.

anctioned fights. Which is usually considered separately. (No medicals, russis
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    In fairness he was killed in Ireland for the purposes of entertaining people, it's a fairly valid big story!
    We both know you are better than that kind of sensationalist nonsense Hitch.

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    The three housemates all ticked Roman Catholic on the census (21, 24, 26) and I'd say they would struggle to bless themselves. That's what we're up against. Sigh
    It shouldn't be multiple choice. They should be forced to write the words.
    I wonder would more people right none when faced with the task of spelling Catholic?

Comment

When someone Sez 'no offence ' it's usually followed by some very offending comments . Worst disclaimer ever. No offence .

I quite like MMA and I appreciate the dedication and skill involved so I won't be providin Links to the many examples of savage injury from trying to finish off an opponent on the ground by pounding the head. Rule changes will happen I've no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
        When someone Sez 'no offence ' it's usually followed by some very offending comments . Worst disclaimer ever. No offence .

I quite like MMA and I appreciate the dedication and skill involved so I won't be providin Links to the many examples of savage injury from trying to finish off an opponent on the ground by pounding the head. Rule changes will happen I've no doubt.
        Answer what I asked you earlier so.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
          You obviously don't watch any kind of MMA.

No offence but people like yourself who don't watch have no fucking idea with their hypotheticals.

Stick to liveline where uneducated opinions are Gospel and you can join in with the 3pm National pat on the back of a job well done of making something of nothing.
          I have watched mma.
          I was not having a go at it.
          No doubt some enthusiasts like the ground stuff tactics but id say the majority like a good match with plenty of striking few flying kicks thrown in.
          Rarely out of bed in time for liveline.
          Discussion forum many of the opinions here uneducated.

Comment

For any always sunny fans on here

You are welcome and I expect trip reports
            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Met the great Frank last night in the fitz.
              He was telling me he was feared in the midlandsin card games asked hiw many drinks he had.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Not sure if relevant, but in general there has been a decline in middle classes in the US over the last few decades. More people pushed down to the bottom or up to the top. Suggests in a prior generation that it was easier to be 'comfortable'. And those lower paid positions are generally a lot more unstable. Now if we were to do a risky extrapolation of this to Ireland, we could maybe say that what happens in the US later happens in other countries. It's of course though a risky extrapolation.

Continuing with PSV's broad brush idea that this generation is having it a lot more difficult, but just hasn't realised how screwed it is yet: we can also look at the difficulty a younger generation has in finding a first home to buy. This was a story on that from the UK last week.

That seems like a phenomenal increase over a prior generation. Is it the same in Ireland, who knows?

What are the parameters for lower/middle/upper? If they are based on some sort of dynamic standard, then that would be a possible source of change to categories, when the standard was flawed.
                Another titbit:
                • 6.5% of 36-40 year olds in rented accommodation in the year of my birth 1977, vs 22.9% now

Essentially it was close to unheard of for someone approaching their 40s to not own a home 38 years ago, now its approaching 1 in 4 of those people.

Whether its all applicable to Ireland is difficult to know, but the current generation in a lot of developed countries seems relatively fcked compared to the prior generation.
                I noticed in other cites that it was common for people to be content to be lifelong renters. ?Do you think that could be a factor in the numbers? That at least "some" of the 75% aren't chasing a mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                  I have watched mma.
                  I was not having a go at it.
                  No doubt some enthusiasts like the ground stuff tactics but id say the majority like a good match with plenty of striking few flying kicks thrown in.
                  Rarely out of bed in time for liveline.
                  Discussion forum many of the opinions here uneducated.
                  I'm not on the attack or trying to label you as a drooler as solks would try to have people believe

I'll get links instead of getting into it. Essentially it looks vicious but isn't as bad as it could be when it comes to ground and pound.

MMA is safe when it comes to a combat sport.

All the outraged people giving an uneducated opinion should donate to the fund to sort his family out. Then you have earned the right to drool.

Comment

Answer what I asked you earlier so.
                    Example of savage injuries ? Google it . Most inflicted on the ground.

Comment

I'm not on the attack or trying to label you as a drooler as solks would try to have people believe

I'll get links instead of getting into it. Essentially it looks vicious but isn't as bad as it could be when it comes to ground and pound.

MMA is safe when it comes to a combat sport.

All the outraged people giving an uneducated opinion should donate to the fund to sort his family out. Then you have earned the right to drool.
                      Will ya stop getting beaten until your unable to defend yourself or knocked out is vicious.
                      Just because its in an octagon and refereed does not make it gentle and cuddly.

Comment

I was involved in martial arts in my 20s to a good level . I know what is dangerous. MMA is a great sport but needs to protect the fighters better. Ground punching is not safe fact. Anyway end of my 2 cents on this

Comment

Met the great Frank last night in the fitz.
                          He was telling me he was feared in the midlandsin card games asked hiw many drinks he had.
                          Love the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                            About to have my first ever toffee crisp.

4 pack was €3.71 in my local tesco but if you get 2x4packs it was €3 total. Gotta love my tesco
                            About to have my first ever double decker now, I don't expect much.

Toffee Crisps were a pleasant surprise though, was surprised more people don't talk about them more. Not refrigerated though.
                            Will report back tomorrow once I have eaten 4 double deckers.
                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I was sure Michelle Smith was stripped of her medals from Atlanta '96. My memory is going.
                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Anyone know what is involved in an Irish VAT registered company claiming back VAT/Sales TAX paid on business purchases in the USA/UK?
                                The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

I was involved in martial arts in my 20s to a good level . I know what is dangerous. MMA is a great sport but needs to protect the fighters better. Ground punching is not safe fact. Anyway end of my 2 cents on this
                                  What's the line on not safe though? Personal opinion?
                                  A punch to head standing isn't safe, a shin to the head isn't safe, a heal, a knee an elbow.

It's a violent sport and comes with risks. I can't see any rules being changed at the highest level with regard ground strikes.

Comment

Example of savage injuries ? Google it . Most inflicted on the ground.
                                    Provide links or get back in your box. You brought it up and you are wrong.

You are used to saying one thing then waiting 6 hours and not replying. New subject, let the tide of your drool pass.

Provide links.

Comment

Will ya stop getting beaten until your unable to defend yourself or knocked out is vicious.
                                      Just because its in an octagon and refereed does not make it gentle and cuddly.
                                      That doesn't happen.

Comment

Toffee Crisps were a pleasant surprise though, was surprised more people don't talk about them more. Not refrigerated though.
                                        Greatest adverts ever (ish)

Leeds comedian Charlie Chuck advertising Cadburys Double Decker. Script is based on one of his live routines, normally set in a bakery and not a sweet shop.

Leeds comedian Charlie Chuck advertising Cadburys Double Decker. Script is based on one of his live routines, normally set in a bakery and not a sweet shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                          Palermo hire their 8th manager of the season. He's even going back through the list again. Madness

12/04/2016 - ?????????? - Davide Ballardini
                                          10/03/2016 - 11/04/2016 - Novellino
                                          15/02/2016 - 09/03/2016 - Giuseppe Iachini
                                          11/02/2016 - 14/02/2016 - Giovanni Bosi
                                          15/01/2016 - 10/02/2016 - Giovanni Tedesco
                                          11/01/2016 - 14/01/2016 - Guillermo Barros Schelotto
                                          10/11/2015 - 11/01/2016 - Davide Ballardini
                                          25/09/2013 - 09/11/2015 - Giuseppe Iachini
                                          That's a lol.

You obviously don't watch any kind of MMA.

No offence but people like yourself who don't watch have no fucking idea with their hypotheticals.

Stick to liveline where uneducated opinions are Gospel and you can join in with the 3pm National pat on the back of a job well done of making something of nothing.
                                          Banter

You're wrong
                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                            Saw David Gest is dead, what a year for celeb deaths. This was the year for a celeb dead pool!
                                            Not speaking ill of the dead but it would want to a fear shallow pool for him to be anywhere near it!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              ElSham has it handy down in posh Fulham
                                              Did have to square up to a whole, unnamed, bang out of order, Aviva premiership rugby team last summer.
                                              One of the other managers thought it would be a good idea if he booked their end of season party in
                                              Probably funny to look at me, walking up to lads 3 times my size, saying stop doing press ups, cop on or fuck off!

Lad who used to be heavily involved with a different Aviva rugby team was at the bar watching

"They know I know that they can't touch me, so fuck them"

He nodded

One of them did make a comment as I passed and square up, I started laughing and asked him what he was going to do

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                In other news Budapest is a fantastic city.

Would go again.
                                                Any tips? I'm over there for a stag in early May so any advice appreciated! Cheers.

Comment

I was sure Michelle Smith was stripped of her medals from Atlanta '96. My memory is going.
                                                  She didn't fail any tests in Atlanta, was almost certainly on the juice though.
                                                  Her testing fiasco and disgrace was 2 years after the Olympics.

Comment

Until tonight I always thought she was stripped of them, learn something new innit!

Quiz question was who won last gold for ireland in olympics(before taylor), wrote down Michael Carruth but put Michelle Smith in brackets saying technically last winner before she got stripped of them... oops . She gave us the point though, nice of her
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Until tonight I always thought she was stripped of them, learn something new innit!

Quiz question was who won last gold for ireland in olympics(before taylor), wrote down Michael Carruth but put Michelle Smith in brackets saying technically last winner before she got stripped of them... oops . She gave us the point though, nice of her
                                                      I would have said the boxers in Bejing.

edit: for some reason thought Sutherland or Egan took gold. Must be thinking on the horse that was stripped

Comment

Pretty sure none of them got gold. If I remember correctly Egan lost in final, barnes and sutherland got 3rd and I can't remember any winners in 2004
                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                          I would have said the boxers in Bejing.

edit: for some reason thought Sutherland or Egan took gold. Must be thinking on the horse that was stripped
                                                          Lol Cian O'Connor, I was tempted to put his name down too but not enough space for even more brackets. He got bronze this year too
                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Who was irelands first Olympic gold medalist?

That's a very pup-quizical question. Without googling I'd have no clue. A boxer maybe.

edit:

SPOILER
                                                            it wasn't a boxer

Comment

That's a very pup-quizical question. Without googling I'd have no clue. A boxer maybe.

edit:

SPOILER
                                                              it wasn't a boxer
                                                              Without Google... Wasn't it a male runner? I seem to remember a famous runner always mentioned in the paper whenever they talk about the Olympics. An "'O'" something or other. Can't remember his surname.. O'Dea maybe? Tough question though... Easy for strewel to answer as I am sure he was there
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Ireland gold medailist Peter O'Strewel sounds good alright
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Witness the power of the Sorcerer Supreme in the first teaser for Marvel's 'Doctor Strange,' in theaters November 4! â–ş Subscribe to Marvel: http://bit.ly/We...

what a time to be alive
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

edit:

SPOILER
                                                                    it wasn't a boxer
                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                    Jack B Yeats

EDIT: Sorry GOLD medal winner. Can't remember his name but it was in the hammer throw.
                                                                    Last edited by Kayroo; 13-04-16, 07:24.
                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

edit:

SPOILER
                                                                      it wasn't a boxer
                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                      Painting?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        Jack B Yeats

EDIT: Sorry GOLD medal winner. Can't remember his name but it was in the hammer throw.
                                                                        Definitely this. No idea on the name either.
                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            Jack B Yeats

yep

SPOILER
                                                                            O'Callaghan

Comment

Was it
                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                              Ronnie Delaney?
                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                Was it
                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                Ronnie Delaney?
                                                                                NO

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                  NO
                                                                                  Damn, so thought I got my first ever sport question correct.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Fecking hell, that McGeever fella is a serious chancer.

Catch me if you Can esque

Comment

Thank god some of the droolers around at the moment have never seen, never mind even heard of Pride etc.

Knees & Kicks to the head of a grounded opponent. They would love it.

Comment

Bob Tisdall wasn't it ?
                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

First they came for the LUAS Drivers and I did not complain - for I was not a LUAS Driver
                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Its just like the Holocaust alright.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                              First they came for the LUAS Drivers and I did not complain - for I was not a LUAS Driver
                                                                                              <snip the bit telling you to cop the cfuck on> What AJ said.

For the money, hours and conditions they are getting in a zero stress job I happily be a Luas driver.

On the other hand I'd need to be paid about treble what they are getting to do what a Teacher, Nurse or especially a Garda has to do.
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I found this surprisingly gripping and well written, a live blog from a parish council meeting last night in a Bristol suburb, the motion being whether to charge the weekly parkrun ÂŁ1 a person for the alleged wear and tear on the tarmac. If the motion gets passed the parkrun will be effectively stopped as there is a no-charge policy from the organisers worldwide.
                                                                                                Not too long, only takes two minutes to read.

Comment

comparing the plight of the Luas drivers to the Jews in the third reich. I can see how you got there as a group of socialists were to blame for both but a bit a stretch I would say.

Comment

Is this inverse Godwinning?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                      I found this surprisingly gripping and well written, a live blog from a parish council meeting last night in a Bristol suburb, the motion being whether to charge the weekly parkrun ÂŁ1 a person for the alleged wear and tear on the tarmac. If the motion gets passed the parkrun will be effectively stopped as there is a no-charge policy from the organisers worldwide.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Live-Li...ail/story.html
                                                                                                      had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. This is the flutter of butterfly wings which will create a hurricane.

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Is there any where in Dublin 2 that I could buy potting soil? Or is Urban Plant Life my best option?

Comment

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Live-Li...ail/story.html
                                                                                                            Doesn't give the outcome of the vote - any idea how it went?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                              Doesn't give the outcome of the vote - any idea how it went?
                                                                                                              Click 'Load More' at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                Is there any where in Dublin 2 that I could buy potting soil? Or is Urban Plant Life my best option?
                                                                                                                Had to double check the user name here

Comment

I want to retire early I think I need about 1 million invested by 40 and no mortgage is not impossible but going to be difficult , all the best I started at 32 researching and 33 ish buying , I pick individual shares simply by buying companies in the s&p500 in alphabetical order ! I buy 5000 worth every month , some no doubt be bad buys but others be good , it'll average out .
                                                                                                                  From the boards investment forum

Comment

Its just like the Holocaust alright.
                                                                                                                    Yeah I'm directly comparing it to the holocaust alright, good man.
                                                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Yeah what will happen to all the people in future that refuse a sweet deal from arbitration?
                                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

clearly a troll no? Great if not and he spent a year researching the alphabet but surely nobody that dumb can have 5k a month in spare cash for investment

Comment

He'll do okay

Hopefully he's got plenty of Activision & Airgas but hasn't made it to Akamai or Alcoa.

Certainly more red going Z->A than A->Z anyway.

Guy's a genius.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X