This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    But she was an outrageous flirt. We were doing the African dancing thing and that seems designed as a step away from stripping off your clothes and fcking.
    Please let there be a just God and let footage of Hitch's African dancing appear on the internet.

One Time, cameraphone Gods.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
      I have no kids and can see that this is painfully obv. Sacrificing your kids future so that you can make a moral stand must be one of the most selfish things you can do in the short term.

In the long term your useless kids wont be able to help you out when you are senile and stubbornly clinging to life at 110.
      I'd rather not have my children educated by people who discriminate based on creed. Who's job is it to change society for the better if not mine and yours?
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Budapest.

BBV enlighten me please, going this weekend. Do's/Dont's etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
          Been there many times and I wrote this advice up for someone before they went I'll give it to you now in case I miss your further post. Apologies for the shorthand...

SPOILER
          1. first off money -

ATMS - are everywhere!! but u need to be careful of a few little tricks 1. do your maths 1 euro is around 300 hungarian forint. lots of people have made the mistake of taking out wayyyyy to much forint! sometimes the first option on the ATM isnt a small amount it can be a very high amount!! you dont want to get stuck with lots of left over cash and u will get a terrible exchange rate chanign it back as its a minority currency. 2. at the atm you may get out large notes dont exchange these on the street with someone who offers to break them down for u... its a scam its like Belarus currency or something of tiny value

Money exchange - if exchanging euro cash for forint you need to be careful - theres money exchange everywhere but u need to agree the rate before you hand over your euro. Ask this question - how much will I get for X euro - so for instance how much will i get for 100 euro - they will say their answer then you use your calculator on your phone to get the rate which should be around 300.

2. Food

the 2 restaurants i was telling you about 1. Fatal Restaurant or Fatal Etterem (Hungarian language) its on Vaci utca (the street i marked on your map) and its at the intersection with Pinter utca. MASSIVE portions!! and very reasonable prices. A main meal will cost 3500FT for pretty much everything on the menu.

2. Menza is at Oktogon which is on Andrassay Ut i havent been here myself have had people reccomend it and also great reviews on trip advisor. Probably a meal when u have a bit of time. book in advance.

3. Lunch options - kiraly ut - LOTs of cheap options along here pretty much every type of food u can think of

3. City Orientation - Danube down the middle splits the city - the hilly side is Buda, the flat side with most of the city is Pest - u are staying on Pest

Main shopping street vaci utca - very long shopping street but most expensive street in Budapest. At the end of vaci utca is a unique looking building in a Bzystatine style (orientatial nearly) this is the Great Market Hall on the bottom floor lots of food items from Hungary and on the top lots of souvenirs!

Andrassay Ut - the Champs Elysee of Budapest - at the bottom is St. Stephens Cathedral as you go up it you will see the Opera House , then the Oktogan (good food area), then further up is the House of Terror (well worth a visit) and then at the top is Heros Square (the most important square in Budapest) dedicated to the Heros of Hungarian independence. Behind Heros Square is a large park - in there is the Szechenyi Baths and the Zoo.

On Buda - there is two important areas - there is the Citadel which is an Old Austrian Fortress looking down over the city - you must go up here to get the best views of the city (the hop on hop off bus goes up there!)

Also on Buda further down a bit is the castle area - up here is Buda Castle and also Fishersmans Bastion which is a magnificent building built for the fishing guilds.

On the other side of the river from here is the Parliament building - this might be my favourite building in all of EUROPE!! i believe its hard to actually visit the building u need an apointment but the outside is stunning. if there is one thing i recommend it is to view the Parliament building AFTER dark at some point - the light it up magnificantly and it looks like the whole thing is made of gold!! i really recommend this - do it from the other side of the river.

4. The Baths - the baths is the key thing to do in Budapest - the thermal springs are a natural phenomenon here. The biggest and most famous baths are the Szechenyi baths i mentioned above. Also the Gellert Baths inside the Gellert Hotel are famous. The baths basically comprise swimming pools and hot tubs etc its a relaxing experience. In both cases there is an outdoor pool as well which is worth trying even if its cold outside! if u have a swimming cap bring that or u may need to buy one.

5. Getting around. Budapest isnt extremely compact or extremely spread out. if you plan on walking plan your day so u dont backtrack on yourself. Probably the hop on hop off bus for the first day to orientate yourself is a good idea. The undeground is available (its the oldest in central europe!) if you get a ticket make sure you validate it!!! the machines are old ask a local for help! theres a tram as well but it can be confusing!

Summary of key things to do/see:
          1. The Baths
          2. House of Terror Museum
          3. Citadel - views
          4. Castle District/Fishermans Bastion - nice buildings + views
          5. Parliament building at nighttime if possible
          6. Great Market Hall and Vaci Utca - shopping
          7. Danube river cruise
          8. Food options
          Found this, thanks Jack m8.

Anything missing, feel free to add.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I have no kids and can see that this is painfully obv. Sacrificing your kids future so that you can make a moral stand must be one of the most selfish things you can do in the short term.

In the long term your useless kids wont be able to help you out when you are senile and stubbornly clinging to life at 110.
              Plenty of people here t work don't have their kids baptised, they go to school fine in their local area, one had to go to a slightly further away school than the closest is the height of it. Are there many night mare stories still i wonder.

Got my health insurance renewal today, with changes to my plan. Vasectomy now being covered is the only change, it's a sign Lord.

Comment

Seems like one of those would be prudent but not sure I could sign up for it.

Comment

Is it silly season for IT recruitment right now? Getting a lot of messages and invitations from recruiters on Linkedin in the last couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Seems like one of those would be prudent but not sure I could sign up for it.
                    Baptism or vasectomy?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                      Is it silly season for IT recruitment right now? Getting a lot of messages and invitations from recruiters on Linkedin in the last couple of weeks.
                      Its always silly season in IT. Start of the new quarter and also start of the new annual budget for those doing company accounts means that there could be some more demand but in reality people will have gotten there wrists slapped for poor q1 performance so are hitting the phones.

Comment

Things are particularly good right now.
                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Although I would personally like to see Leo in the job, this market seems off. Would have thought Coveney was ahead of him if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                            I'd rather not have my children educated by people who discriminate based on creed. Who's job is it to change society for the better if not mine and yours?
                            It is mine and yours of course but I would not do it at the expense of my currently imaginary children. If a school will be 1% better then sending my kids somewhere else and I could afford it I would do what is required.

Tar - big difference in Sligo where there are lots of non don primary schools. At secondary level is it not just the Tech? I would question anyone who thinks there kids will have the education in the tech as the Grammar or Summerhill.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                              Things are particularly good right now.
                              Getting an Oracle DBA for a contract is a particular pain in the nuts at the moment. Shit ton of perm people on the go tho.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Continuing the Australian wildlife theme from a few days ago (CHD, RD3). This ugly little bollox just crawled across the floor.

SPOILER
                                  Last edited by DeadParrot; 05-04-16, 14:09. Reason: pic adjusted so not visible from space

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    Although I would personally like to see Leo in the job, this market seems off. Would have thought Coveney was ahead of him if anything.
                                    Unfortunately Leo being gay I think is a huge unknown as to if it makes him more or less likely to get the top job. Bigger section of society will count it as a negative then a positive imo with obv most sane people not letting it influence there decision either way.

Old people who think he is going to hell and the Irish sea will go on fire burning our sinful souls if we have a gay leader. Those people vote on mass (pun intended)

As always I am sure someone is crunching the numbers as to how many they will gain or loose but I wouldn't look at Leo as close to evens in anyway, plus he is currently minister for health - one bed shortage or blood crisis in the press before the votes are cast and he is going to loose a lot of political capital.

Comment

Getting an Oracle DBA for a contract is a particular pain in the nuts at the moment. Shit ton of perm people on the go tho.
                                      I'll ask me boss if I can have 6 months off lol.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It is mine and yours of course but I would not do it at the expense of my currently imaginary children. If a school will be 1% better then sending my kids somewhere else and I could afford it I would do what is required.

Tar - big difference in Sligo where there are lots of non don primary schools. At secondary level is it not just the Tech? I would question anyone who thinks there kids will have the education in the tech as the Grammar or Summerhill.
                                        I'm not sure - can see it would be more of a problem in the countryside. However when I was in Summerhill there were plenty of non-christians/foreigners that seemed to have no problem getting into the school?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          Continuing the Australian wildlife theme from a few days ago (CHD, RD3). This ugly little bollox just crawled across the floor.

SPOILER
                                          Guy on Reddit started breeding spiders to kill more dangerous spiders on his property, there are hundreds of this spiders ripping up black widows and shit. Australia, not even once.

Comment

End of year bonuses.

It's a glorified phishing hole for the most part
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

opps forgot about that.
                                              No joy im afaid.
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I would imagine the quality of education a child finishes up with has vastly more to do with their parents than with their teachers, wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  I'm not sure - can see it would be more of a problem in the countryside. However when I was in Summerhill there were plenty of non-christians/foreigners that seemed to have no problem getting into the school?
                                                  The idea of getting your kids baptised to get them into a better school is generally can get them into a fee paying school which has a waiting list you cant get round.

Comment

Class

Sinn Féin would not accept the outcome of its own Independent commission on Irish Water unless it rules in favour of scrapping charges.
                                                    Seems reasonable.

Mr Adams said: “If you want to convert my kitchen, you give me the terms of reference, you tell me the type of kitchen I want, you tell me the price I want so on and so forth and I am obliged to handle that, you don’t go and make my kitchen into a dining room
                                                    Glad that's settled.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      I'll ask me boss if I can have 6 months off lol.
                                                      That way you can start coming to the quiz on Tuesdays m8
                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                        Im in Vegas on Census day.... whats my play? have the form and all sitting on the table.
                                                        Census is just for whoever is in the country that night, if you are away you dont do it. Dobby is on lastminute.com doing everything he can to get out of it.
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                          I would imagine the quality of education a child finishes up with has vastly more to do with their parents than with their teachers, wouldn't it?
                                                          I would say that the parents, the school and the other kids who attend the school make up fairly equal parts in most kids education I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                            Census is just for whoever is in the country that night, if you are away you dont do it. Dobby is on lastminute.com doing everything he can to get out of it.
                                                            Another stupid question but I can't help myself.

Why is it done on a certain date? If I had the form today could I fill it in today?

On another note, just had two ladies in work. One with a Scottish accent, other with a Northern accent. It was heavenly.

Comment

pretty sure its not tho. When the guy dropped mine off he said something about a seperate form if you are not in on the night that he will have when he is picking them up and some part of it needs to be filled in anyway. Wasn't listening so cant really be of much help.

Comment

pretty sure its not tho. When the guy dropped mine off he said something about a seperate form if you are not in on the night that he will have when he is picking them up and some part of it needs to be filled in anyway. Wasn't listening so cant really be of much help.
                                                                Yeah I meant to add an 'i think' after that, thought that's the way it was last time.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

any craic
                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Why is it done on a certain date? If I had the form today could I fill it in today?

On another note, just had two ladies in work. One with a Scottish accent, other with a Northern accent. It was heavenly.
                                                                    It's supposed to be a count on a certain date. Obviously you could just fill it today.
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Christmas View Post
                                                                      any craic
                                                                      You will be happy to know I had two toaster pancakes last night. First time in a long time.

Gonna have more for tea.

Comment

Yeah I meant to add an 'i think' after that, thought that's the way it was last time.
                                                                        I could easily be wrong as I wasn't actually listening to what he was saying. I just wanted the form and for them to quit bugging me in the evening

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

They pick a Sunday night as traditionally it was the night that people were most likely to be at home (probably still holds true), notwithstanding the 60 people at Dennys house party.

Most people will probably fill it in in the days beforehand rather than filling it in at the appointed hour.

@ Eoghan If you are out of the country but live here then just fill it in before you go imo.

Pregnant virgins used to have to follow the stars and trek cross country to get to the designated census town, we have it easy.

Comment

I would say that the parents, the school and the other kids who attend the school make up fairly equal parts in most kids education I would have thought.
                                                                            Parents comfortably play the most important role in educating a child.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              End of year bonuses.

It's a glorified phishing hole for the most part
                                                                              Yeah the phishing ones can be seen a mile away. Hitting the end of year struck me for targets/budgets as the main reason. There does seem to be more tech roles available now than before I took my current job. That said there is nothing else out here in the sticks so its Dublin>>>>Cork=Galway >>>>>>rest of Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                That way you can start coming to the quiz on Tuesdays m8
                                                                                Nah I'd just be working some other job (for 2x the pay)

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                  You will be happy to know I had two toaster pancakes last night. First time in a long time.

Gonna have more for tea.
                                                                                  They are top drawer aren't they.

Toaster pancakes are light years ahead of where they used to be. Much like oven chips.

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  They pick a Sunday night as traditionally it was the night that people were most likely to be at home (probably still holds true), notwithstanding the 60 people at Dennys house party.

Most people will probably fill it in in the days beforehand rather than filling it in at the appointed hour.

@ Eoghan If you are out of the country but live here then just fill it in before you go imo.

****
                                                                                  Pregnant virgins used to have to follow the stars and trek cross country to get to the designated census town, we have it easy.
                                                                                  Fuck him, if he isn't here.
                                                                                  I was planning a census party so in the future people could wonder why there 1000 people in an apartment. Seems Denny got the jump on me.

Comment

tea and donuts

Comment

tea and donuts
                                                                                      2 slices of plain toast. First thing i've eaten since 4pm Sunday. Hoping these don't come straight back out.

Comment

The Kooks on MTV classic
                                                                                        I feel old

Comment

Whooper.

Boyzone - A Picture Of You 1997Didn't they say that I would make a mistake Didn't they say you were gonna be trouble People told me you were too much to take...

Comment

AJ wrong shocker

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

****
                                                                                            Not this.

It is supposed to be a snapshot of who stays in each premises on the particular night.
                                                                                            If you stay in a hotel you get counted there, if you spend the night at Denny's houseparty you get counted there and if you are out of the country you do not get counted.
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yea, I noticed that too but had the good grace not to point it out. Didn't want to besmirch his 100% record of being correct on every topic.

Comment

If your out of the country for the Census then you just have to sign a form stating that, they can also ask for evidence that you'll be out of the country but tat probably won't happen. If you're staying somewhere else in the Republic you'll fill in the form where you'll be staying and at your regular household you'll fill out another form when the enumerator calls around to collect it which will give the address of where you were staying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                  I would have thought you were too young for the original.
                                                                                                  I just look young

I'm 44 in September

Comment

Shano1888 what ages are your kids?

Comment

Yeah, there's a separate absent from you fill out if you're going to be out of the country. This can be filled out the week after the census afaik.

Comment

They are top drawer aren't they.

Toaster pancakes are light years ahead of where they used to be.
                                                                                                        Fuckin love toaster pancakes. They are actually fuckin class.

Which ones do you get? I get the 89cent Dunne's pack. But I see there are other "premium" brands". I've wondered are the worth the extra.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Anyone got any idea where one sources a childminder from?

Not inviting applications from here.

Comment

Few months away but myself, deadparrot and Stewel are planning a bit of an old christmas get together on December 16th to catch the opening of the newest Helen Mirren flick, collateral beauty. Could be a pint or two in the offing too, if our arms are twisted.

Friday dec 16th, plan is to get a big bag of cans and catch the earliest screening in the city and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeyboy View Post
                                                                                                              Fuckin love toaster pancakes. They are actually fuckin class.

Which ones do you get? I get the 89cent Dunne's pack. But I see there are other "premium" brands". I've wondered are the worth the extra.

Thanks in advance.
                                                                                                              I go for the tesco ones that are priced the same, 89c, so every chance they are from the same place. They are top drawer so my head has never been turned, some of the other (larger) pancakes look a bit rubbery and old.

Toaster pancake advances are something we can be proud of as a planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                Anyone got any idea where one sources a childminder from?

Not inviting applications from here.
                                                                                                                school / creche would be the best place to start as most of the assistants or juniors are always looking to make a few extra euros. worked for us anyway.

Comment

fao Lazare.

Tina Turner performing her #1 in an acoustic style. Thank you jrprod05 from Tinaturner.be for this fantastic audio!!!!

Come to the quiz soon, you can get the last bus home

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Shano1888 what ages are your kids?
                                                                                                                    Just the one. He is 2.

I work in education so my assertion was based on that rather than any extensive child churning!!

Comment

Bayern, Barca, Boro treble enhanced to 3/1 from 15/8 on PP for tonights interest

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                                                        Just the one. He is 2.

I work in education so my assertion was based on that rather than any extensive child churning!!
                                                                                                                        All mine are school age, eldest doing her junior cert this year, middle in 1st year and youngest in second class. At your little ones age I totally agree but teachers play the biggest part.
                                                                                                                        And what they say is gospel and no convincing said child parents know too lol.

Getting the right school is really important, one with good teachers. Whatever the religion. If the teachers are crap then what they teach will be too. I moved to a certain catchment to get my kids into the primary school they attended.

Comment

I'm sending my daughter to a school that doesn't tell her she's superior or different to others.
                                                                                                                          Doesn't tell her there's eternal reward and eternal punishment.
                                                                                                                          Doesn't teach her to respect an organisation that made slaves of innocent women and sold, raped or neglected to death their children.
                                                                                                                          Teaches her to love and respect her fellow human regardless of how they were born.
                                                                                                                          Teaches her the truth about how the world around her came to exist.
                                                                                                                          Teaches her to pass that knowledge and respect on to her children.

Fuck it if she doesn't become a fucking accountant.

Selfish.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X