This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Low/zero inheritance taxes also repreeent an opportunity cost as they can act as a disincentive for those lucky enough to have a large inheritance coming their way.

I know one guy in his early fifties who is coasting through life, doing the absolute bare minimum because he stands to inherit several millions when, in his own words, 'the old lady croaks it'. Charming.

Why would you want a system that rewards such behavioud?
    As I said, thresholds. Why apply the same logic to a farmer who leaves his land and property to a child but in order to inherit they have to sell off part of it, even if they actually want to use it as a working farm?

If that dude in your example stands to earn several millions when his mother dies, then aside from the fact that this is a tiny minority occurrence, even with the current taxes, he'll still inherit loads anyhow.

Comment

Was thinking of getting the aul lad to sign the house over to me & just say I won it off him in a game of poker. Wonder how that would wash?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Was thinking of getting the aul lad to sign the house over to me & just say I won it off him in a game of poker. Wonder how that would wash?
        Hope you have no brothers or sisters
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
          The amount of centre backs Costa has got sent off in his career is hilarious. He's a phenomenal wind up merchant.
          He has more in common with an average psychopath than a top class wum
          Last edited by Guest; 19-09-15, 13:51.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

What would the equivalent of this match be in International Football for Ireland?

vs. someone along the lines of Faroe Islands?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  Yep - 5star-'mini-D.Trump'-pool was arguing the rich shouldn't have to pay those taxes.

What's your view on the mexicans 5star?
                  Send em to Syria, and send the Syrians to Mexico.

Why should you get a business taxfree if it happens to involve the killing of animals, but not if it involves any other business activity?
                  Why do you think what I said only would apply to farmers? If someone owned another business the same should obviously apply. In my world if you inherit property or a business and sell it within 5 years or so then you'd pay tax on it, otherwise you'd pay what you would if you were selling your own place. I'm against the government stopping ordinary people (not talking about the actual rich types) from accumulating wealth in order to subsidise in part those who never have any intention of contributing to society.

Comment

Anyone know Who decides man of the match and when it's announced for the rwc?

Comment

Henderson is an absolute wrecking ball! This could be a BP game before half time.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                          What would the equivalent of this match be in International Football for Ireland?

vs. someone along the lines of Faroe Islands?
                          Bigger gap really. I'd say Ireland in football would be about 1/10 to beat the Faroes, but in rugby we are probably 1/50 to beat Canada.

Comment

Have this ridic bonus scheme at work. Essentially its pay per publication with bonuses ranging from 2,400 to 12,500 per article depending on prestige with prestige beginning at about top 10% journal by quality in business. Makes sense for the bosses as the institution itself is primarily ranked based on quality of research.

E.g. got an article accepted this Monday which i can now turn in for 4,000, making it a total of 8,800 earned in bonus in the first four months. Fck its motivating.

I'm sitting here running some tests thinking - hmm, this'll probably get a 7,500 bonus. Have so many mini-projects now started and on the go all edging forward. All ruthlessly focused on their eventual payday.

It seems like the way to motivate academics to do shit is to just give them cash. Wonder if I could write an article on that?
                            Should tax that shit at 75%.

Wasn't that stupid tax rate in France abolished anyhow? I think it only applied to income over 1m so you're probably safe anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                              Henderson is an absolute wrecking ball! This could be a BP game before half time.
                              His shirt looks too big for him, as in its incredibly loose compared to everyone else's

Comment

Sexton all over. Bottler
                                iLloyd

Comment

Is there no HD channel showing this ?

TV3 picture through sky is a bit shit
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    Is there no HD channel showing this ?
                                    Itv

Comment

ITV HD if you have it?

Comment

Am really impressed with him. Sorta feel sorry for Canada now, though maybe the players are thrilled to be playing on a big stage and against much better players?

Comment

Comment

Henderson is a tank, and has been for aaaaages in fairness.

Iain Henderson, just 20 years old, smashes through/swats aside several much older players. Note yet another non tackle from Chris Ashton to go with the many ...

Comment

That try was perfection. Everyone got it exactly right. Didn't even matter that there was a 'defence'

Comment

Canada are out on their feet already. Ireland have been brilliant so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                  ITV HD if you have it?
                                                  It says technical issue. I don't pay extra for HD as I don't have a HD TV but I miht have gone out and bought one
                                                  Fucked if I'm paying sky extra for it...

Sat Nav what number do I call to cancel?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                    Am really impressed with him. Sorta feel sorry for Canada now, though maybe the players are thrilled to be playing on a big stage and against much better players?
                                                    He's been doing this since he first put on the Ulster jersey. Its a real mismatch anyway lots of part timers togged out for Canada.

Comment

Hope you have no brothers or sisters
                                                      Nope, all dead.

Comment

Geordan Murphy is probably quite sound and knowledgeable, but he might have the most boring voice of anyone who's ever lived or will live.

Comment

Comment

So is this all fairly expected from us, or a bit of good news?
                                                            Bit of both.
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

It says technical issue. I don't pay extra for HD as I don't have a HD TV but I miht have gone out and bought one
                                                              Fucked if I'm paying sky extra for it...

Sat Nav what number do I call to cancel?
                                                              Well if you don't pay for HD how do you expect to get it?

If you can get saorview then try TV3 on that? TV3 is in HD on sky for me. I tried 3e for the earlier game for a few minutes and it looked like it was being broadcast via a string and some tin cans.

Comment

You win this game 999 times out of a 1000

Comment

Expected to beat Canada well, but we could do that without particularly playing well. We're playing well enough too so that's good news.

Comment

Nope, all dead.
                                                                    Sorry man, clearly not meant in that way.

Comment

Sorry man, clearly not meant in that way.
                                                                      Lol, I know.

Comment

Ah Paulie that's sloppy.

Comment

Comment

Ah Paulie that's sloppy.
                                                                            He was never offside as it was open play. Mercy Rule imo

Comment

Ah Paulie that's sloppy.
                                                                              Yeah, pretty stupid. Not that it matters.

Comment

Nope, all dead.
                                                                                Probably a bit personal but did they have family?

That my brother has left family means me having to organise some planning to prevent unnecessary tax and other complications that might have arise.
                                                                                PITA stuff fucking accountants and lawyers grrrrr.
                                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 19-09-15, 14:43.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post

If you can get saorview then try TV3 on that? TV3 is in HD on sky for me. I tried 3e for the earlier game for a few minutes and it looked like it was being broadcast via a string and some tin cans.
                                                                                  That's how it looks on saorview TV3. Only rte 1&2 are hd.
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

So we'd lose it on occasion, but today we're playing like bosses? I hear ya.
                                                                                    Whatever way you play, you win, but your first half showed some lovely panache. Always nice to win playing well.

Comment

Jesus, what a day so far. ....

Up at 3.30, taxi booked for 4.30, he arrives 20 minutes early so we rush a bit of grub and are heading to the Airport at 4.15.
                                                                                      Then I realise that the flight is at 6.10 and not 6.30. We take off at 6.15 and straight away a bird in the row in front of us starts pressing the call bell. Now we assumed that she was mistaking it for the reading light but nobody is minding her until we get properly airborne. Turns out her hubby had a suspected stroke and passed out during takeoff.
                                                                                      Then the call then goes out for a doctor or nurse on board and sure enough, after a few minutes of commotion, the pilot announced that we're heading back to Dublin.

Now this guy is seriously fit looking, 30something, and the last guy in the world who you would expect to have a problem like this.

The plane lands again at 7.15 and the ambulance service met the plane. We eventually get back in the air at 8.15 and get to Lanzarote at 12.00.
                                                                                      Currently in Maguires bar, watching the game. €1.50 for a large beer too.
                                                                                      Phew. .....COME ON IRELAND. !
                                                                                      Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 19-09-15, 14:43.

Comment

I get HD from BBC and RTE. TV3 doesn't look like HD... picture is a bit better on ITV but having to go through all that other channel nonsense every time makes it unusable.

No Saorview either but I might buy a tv with it.

Comment

Probably a bit personal but did they have family?

That my brother has family means me having to organise some planning to prevent unnecessary tax and other complications that might have arisen.
                                                                                          PITA stuff fucking accountants and lawyers grrrrr.
                                                                                          No nieces or nephews no.

Comment

Earls shocking there.

This game is a waste of time.

Comment

And now Madigan. FFS

Comment

Earls shocking there.

This game is a waste of time.
                                                                                                you can see them all starting to be more concerned with getting hurt than anything else.

Comment

Presumably a lot of this team will get next week vs Romania off anyhow?

Comment

Presumably a lot of this team will get next week vs Romania off anyhow?
                                                                                                    Not a huge amount.

23 per matchday and only a 31 man squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                      Not a huge amount.

23 per matchday and only a 31 man squad.
                                                                                                      Surely the starting lineup at least will have 8+ changes? The main aim is to have people in peak condition for the Italy and France games presumably, and there is more than enough squad depth to get a BP win vs Romania without having to risk O'Connell and Sexton anyhow.

Comment

Surely the starting lineup at least will have 8+ changes? The main aim is to have people in peak condition for the Italy and France games presumably, and there is more than enough squad depth to get a BP win vs Romania without having to risk O'Connell and Sexton anyhow.
                                                                                                        I'd say both will start tbh!

Comment

Spread beaten again for the minnows

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                            Anyone know Who decides man of the match and when it's announced for the rwc?
                                                                                                            Anyone know the answer to this?

Comment

Not in most cases though. In a lot of cases people have to sell the property they inherit in order to afford to inherit it. Tax has already been paid on stuff but there is another huge lot of tax earned. By the same token, if I want to gift someone 100k (which I don't obviously), why should there be any tax due to the government for it? It's my money, surely I should be able to do what I want with it? Between a marginal rate of tax of 51% and VAT at 23%, never mind the other taxes we pay, it's hard to earn and hold onto any money. Even saving your own money is largely pointless with DIRT at a ridiculous 41% these days on top of almost non existent interest rates.

Inheritance tax is up there with stamp duty (of previous times anyhow) and DIRT as the most annoying of taxes to me where you have to pay the government for providing exactly no services for the tax. I have no issues paying taxes where there is a perceived return of some kind, either to me as an individual through available services or else to society, and I don't include the huge hole of social welfare that most of it goes into as enough of a return in either of those ways.
                                                                                                              A lot to be said for parents selling family home. Buying a small place cash and keeping the rest in a mattress and give the government fuck all!

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                Anyone know the answer to this?
                                                                                                                Don't know who decided it but Sexton got it.

Comment

Send em to Syria, and send the Syrians to Mexico.

Why do you think what I said only would apply to farmers? If someone owned another business the same should obviously apply. In my world if you inherit property or a business and sell it within 5 years or so then you'd pay tax on it, otherwise you'd pay what you would if you were selling your own place. I'm against the government stopping ordinary people (not talking about the actual rich types) from accumulating wealth in order to subsidise in part those who never have any intention of contributing to society.
                                                                                                                  There are actually reliefs for inheriting a business and a farm (business relief/agricultural relief). You can get relief on the actual business or farm assets that reduce the value of the gift/inheritance by 90% for tax purposes providing certain stipulations are met.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkymonk View Post
                                                                                                                    There are actually reliefs for inheriting a business and a farm (business relief/agricultural relief). You can get relief on the actual business or farm assets that reduce the value of the gift/inheritance by 90% for tax purposes providing certain stipulations are met.
                                                                                                                    Likewise with the family home. If you are living in it as your main residence you won't be charged CAT. If you own another property you will be expected to make a contribution to society for your windfall. To paraphrase RDIII, boo fucking hoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkymonk View Post
                                                                                                                      I thought so, as usual the farmers get a sweet deal compared to people who actually build a business
                                                                                                                      I was trying to look it up after Dom's post, tax office info is close on impossible for a normal human to navigate or understand

Comment

Good Davis cup match on BBC now

Comment

I thought so, as usual the farmers get a sweet deal compared to people who actually build a business
                                                                                                                          I was trying to look it up after Dom's post, tax office info is close on impossible for a normal human to navigate or understand
                                                                                                                          Links are below if they are any help. Revenue site isn't the easiest unless you know what actual leaflet you are looking for.

Business relief http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat4.html

Agriciltural relief http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat5.html

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X