• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CHD View Post
    Your account is worth a few quid now.

PM Noel Hayes.
    Nope.

Finished 4th. Free night so not all bad.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
      Nope.

Finished 4th. Free night so not all bad.
      m8.

markets, pm the cheating money hungry cunt he'll sort you out. It's grand though cause lick arse shit.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        Favourite scene from The Wire?
        SPOILER

and/or
        SPOILER

Comment

Resulted in me watching clips on YouTube. So many good scenes it's ridiculous.
          airport, lol

Comment

links are so much like my life, offer up the joy only to find you have to go visit somewhere else and not bother going there cause you cant be arsed

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
              links are so much like my life, offer up the joy only to find you have to go visit somewhere else and not bother going there cause you cant be arsed
              Do you still have trouble with the guy who kept going out on the lake with you even though you didn't want him there?
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                Marriage summed up?

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                  Marriage summed up?
                  r u ok m8
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                    r u ok m8
                    Good night m8's?

Derek Davis crew 4 lyfe.
                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Morning BBV. I suppose it is time to check out of here for a couple of months? I don't want to get excited about a few pages to find it's all talk of the ruggers!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                        Morning BBV. I suppose it is time to check out of here for a couple of months? I don't want to get excited about a few pages to find it's all talk of the ruggers!
                        Election talk incoming too.

In other news, wtf were the inventors of Sponge Bob Squarepants on? Utterly bananas. Kids seem to be accept the basic premise as completely valid though.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Broken sleep, poor enough food choices plus overeating leads to one hell of a gym beat down. Serious pain ahead for the next 12 months...couch, rugby and a baby sleeping on top of me for the rest of today.
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                            Serious pain ahead for the next 12 months)
                            Poor V.

Who's gonna give him the bad news?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Poor V.

Who's gonna give him the bad news?
                              I reckon after 12 months I'll have just stopped trying!!
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                Good night m8's?

Derek Davis crew 4 lyfe.
                                Yeah was good craic. We rocked out at the Gypsy Rose but it all went downhill after the absinthe.
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

In other news, wtf were the inventors of Sponge Bob Squarepants on? Utterly bananas. Kids seem to be accept the basic premise as completely valid though.
                                  Watch the original film from about 2004, you will piss yourself!

Comment

Works for me. The assault commenced at 6.30am, been to an under 8 match already, now sitting on the sidelines at some training session or other.

All this so I can be allowed to watch the Irish game later.

Our fathers didn't know how good they had it.

Comment

What you reckon on the chances of them jacking the Inheritance tax back up to a half milly for family homes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        What you reckon on the chances of them jacking the Inheritance tax back up to a half milly for family homes?
                                        I hope they don't. I think inheritance taxes should be higher if anything. Spunk it before you croak imo.

But yeah, election year yada yada - although I doubt inheritance tax is high on the list of voter's concerns.

Comment

I hope they don't. I think inheritance taxes should be higher if anything. Spunk it before you croak imo.

But yeah, election year yada yada - although I doubt inheritance tax is high on the list of voter's concerns.
                                          That's because people are quite short-sighted. Then suddenly they are hit with a €100k + Tax bill and shit gets real. Anyone in the 30+ age bracket should have a vested interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            That's because people are quite short-sighted. Then suddenly they are hit with a €100k + Tax bill and shit gets real. Anyone in the 30+ age bracket should have a vested interest.
                                            A 100k tax bill on a 500k weath transfer. An unearned wealth transfer.

Boo fucking hoo.

Comment

Hmm, I sound like Paul Murphy today.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Comment

I think my enthusiasm for inheritance tax is due to the amount of people I know in their 40s and 50s who are sitting around, doing fuck all in life, and, there is no nice way to say this, waiting for their parents to die.
                                                Such people deserve to be hit with a big tax bill.imo.

Comment

lol

Two beggars are sitting side by side on a street in Rome , Italy . One has a Cross in front of him; the other one is holding the Star of David.

Many people go by, look at both beggars, but only put money into the hat of the beggar sitting behind the Cross.
                                                  The Pope comes by. He stops to watch the throngs of people giving money to the beggar who holds the Cross while none give to the beggar holding the Star of David.
                                                  Finally, the Pope approaches the beggar with the Star of David and says, "My poor fellow, don't you understand? This is a Catholic country; this city is the seat of Catholicism. People aren't going to give you money if you sit there with a Star of David in front of you, especially when you're sitting beside a beggar who is holding a Cross. In fact, they would probably give more money to him just out of spite."
                                                  The beggar with the Star of David listened to the Pope, smiled, and turned to the beggar with the Cross and said, "Moishe, look who's trying to teach the Goldstein brothers about marketing!"
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

I think my enthusiasm for inheritance tax is due to the amount of people I know in their 40s and 50s who are sitting around, doing fuck all in life, and, there is no nice way to say this, waiting for their parents to die.
                                                    Such people deserve to be hit with a big tax bill.imo.
                                                    Few years ago my mother made a joke of how my share of the house would be a good base for my pension

I asked her to compare our lifestyles and asked did she really think I'd outlive her

Brought quite the response! She then brought it up with my sister who then pointed out that she would probably outlive both her kids

Comment

I'm 13 months in and have stopped trying. Now if said infant doesn't get or doesn't get to do whatever he wants instantly he lets a scream as loud as is humanly possible. This includes never being able to eat a meal in peace.

Then when you let him free he tries to walk like a drunken monkey so you have to follow him around to make sure he doesn't kill himself.

Fun times, enjoy.
                                                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Really looking forward to this one.

Comment

Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

These guys are huge. Jaysus, you can almost feel the hits through the TV.

Comment

Georgian number 9 is youngest player ever in a wc. He's only 18 and weights 72kgs.

He's gonna get hurt at some point facing Tonga then the all blacks.

Comment

Great try by one of the greatest number 8:gorgodzilla

Comment

Im heading to Zurich next weekend for 3 days, has anyone any must sees and do's ?

That's besides getting ass raped on the price of everything.
                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      While its all about to be crudely (but happily) ripped away from us, it gets vastly easier. We now have the kid of 4 trained to get up on a Sat / Sun by herself, help herself to a bit of food from the fridge, and then open the laptop and start Netflix. Compared to that first year of just constant tiredness...
                                                                      I look forward to those greener pastures every day.
                                                                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Hitch, what's the academic take on inheritance tax?

Comment

Nah, he thinks all income is unearned and undeserved.

Inheritance is one tax the right can get behind.

Comment

Anyone been to Miami? Where abouts in the city would you want to be staying if you're only there for a night or two? Be going to a Dolphins game too fwiw.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                              Only catching up on emails now, I see I got my one plus invite and has expired

Has anyone got one plus two yet?
                                                                              Yes myself & DP, really liking to so far. Took this on it yesterday little post in Lightroom but I'm really happy with it.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                              I caught something in the Fringe festival that may interest you as a photographer, it was enjoyable (ends tomorrow). He takes 36 shots of (mostly) people over 12 seconds and puts them in a flipbook.
                                                                              http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/...its-in-motion/
                                                                              Interesting idea don't think I'll make it though.

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                              Link? Cant find on KAT...
                                                                              HERE
                                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                Anyone been to Miami? Where abouts in the city would you want to be staying if you're only there for a night or two? Be going to a Dolphins game too fwiw.
                                                                                South Beach

Comment

Handbags at Stamford Bridge. Costa is some hothead, but Gabriel was an idiot there.

Comment

All kicking off !!
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

The amount of centre backs Costa has got sent off in his career is hilarious. He's a phenomenal wind up merchant.
                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                          Do you still have trouble with the guy who kept going out on the lake with you even though you didn't want him there?
                                                                                          Still taking him out. It makes him so happy.........................................

Comment

The standard academic approach on potentially contentious issues is to have as many academic takes as there are opinions.

Personally agree with your perspective.

Inheritance is largely pointless now anyway. Used to be grand when your parents were fecking off to the far beyond in their mid-fifties, but now medicine has ruined that with everyone sticking around much longer. Hard to see how anyone benefits from an inheritance received at, say, the age of 60. Except maybe a sunny resort in Spain where you are going to spend your newfound wealth.
                                                                                            I disagree with inheritance tax entirely, and I say this as someone unlikely to ever inherit much at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                              The amount of centre backs Costa has got sent off in his career is hilarious. He's a phenomenal wind up merchant.
                                                                                              He hasn't been sent off since 2012,hes a pretty amazing wum tbf.

Comment

...

Comment

Looks like I was the only one watching the rugby, but what a brilliant performance by Georgia. Phenomenal victory.

Don't think they have any more of those performances in the tank though.

Comment

Originally posted by shano_88 View Post
                                                                                                    He hasn't been sent off since 2012,hes a pretty amazing wum tbf.
                                                                                                    Yeah considering he gets involved in several altercations a game shows he's usually in control and knows how to thread the line perfectly. Nobody enraged Ramos and Pepe quite like him. You could see he knew he had Gabriel tilted so he locked in on his target and scummed all over him until he hit out. A genius of our time.
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

The issue is without inheritance tax you end up with greater social inequality. People can pass on their social status through inheritance (as social status and cash are quite linked), which widens the gap between the haves and the have-nots (like you, and me).

The issue is that you then end up with you as a have-not, not having the cushion of financial wealth that another family has with which they can fund their kids getting ahead in life. And its fairly well established that cash helps kids get ahead in life.

Inheritance tax recycles some of that cash towards evening the playing field.

We haven't really had this issue in Ireland up until now, because we haven't had enough generations with disposable wealth to pass on to generate inequality, but you can see from the UK (England, specifically) the effect that it has. Your kid is essentially fcked if you can't pay for them to get into a good school - through fees or grinds - or beg them into a religious school.
                                                                                                      No inheritance tax in the UK though, for the first born being handed down an estate.

Comment

The issue is without inheritance tax you end up with greater social inequality. People can pass on their social status through inheritance (as social status and cash are quite linked), which widens the gap between the haves and the have-nots (like you, and me).

The issue is that you then end up with you as a have-not, not having the cushion of financial wealth that another family has with which they can fund their kids getting ahead in life. And its fairly well established that cash helps kids get ahead in life.

Inheritance tax recycles some of that cash towards evening the playing field.

We haven't really had this issue in Ireland up until now, because we haven't had enough generations with disposable wealth to pass on to generate inequality, but you can see from the UK (England, specifically) the effect that it has. Your kid is essentially fcked if you can't pay for them to get into a good school - through fees or grinds - or beg them into a religious school.
                                                                                                        Not in most cases though. In a lot of cases people have to sell the property they inherit in order to afford to inherit it. Tax has already been paid on stuff but there is another huge lot of tax earned. By the same token, if I want to gift someone 100k (which I don't obviously), why should there be any tax due to the government for it? It's my money, surely I should be able to do what I want with it? Between a marginal rate of tax of 51% and VAT at 23%, never mind the other taxes we pay, it's hard to earn and hold onto any money. Even saving your own money is largely pointless with DIRT at a ridiculous 41% these days on top of almost non existent interest rates.

Inheritance tax is up there with stamp duty (of previous times anyhow) and DIRT as the most annoying of taxes to me where you have to pay the government for providing exactly no services for the tax. I have no issues paying taxes where there is a perceived return of some kind, either to me as an individual through available services or else to society, and I don't include the huge hole of social welfare that most of it goes into as enough of a return in either of those ways.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                          A genius of our time.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Your absolutely right with all the above. Its the bigger social issue though - there needs to be some tax on wealth to maintain some level of social equality.
                                                                                                                .
                                                                                                                paging kayroo

Comment

Low/zero inheritance taxes also repreeent an opportunity cost as they can act as a disincentive for those lucky enough to have a large inheritance coming their way.

I know one guy in his early fifties who is coasting through life, doing the absolute bare minimum because he stands to inherit several millions when, in his own words, 'the old lady croaks it'. Charming.

Why would you want a system that rewards such behaviour?
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 19-09-15, 13:29.

Comment

Just watched Joe Scmidt interview with Keith Wood. Who was he referring to when he mentioned journalist who cut him to shreds after wales game in last 6N? Can't recall seeing but guessing maybe Neil Francis?

Comment

Yeah, that's a problem in my opinion.

Your absolutely right with all the above. Its the bigger social issue though - there needs to be some tax on wealth to maintain some level of social equality.

Imagine a scenario where there is no inheritance tax or DIRT. Someone inherits an amount of money that allows them to earn 100k a year interest on it. They will get to benefit from most things the government funds, but will not pay anything towards it.

By contrast, the person who works and earns 100k a year, will pay about 40k to fund those services.

The key thing though isn't the above, its the clear fact that inherited wealth increases social inequality.
                                                                                                                      All of those points are something that only affects the properly wealthy though. Thresholds are far too low. DIRT applying to every penny is a total disincentive to save. If there was a threshold (even something like the first 5k earned in interest per year) this would mean DIRT never affects 99% of the population. Same with inheritance and gift taxes, the thresholds are far too low really. I know social welfare is a necessary thing for society, but there really is too much of it in a lot of cases but it still falls short in other areas.

I know it's an impossible area to reform and it won't happen, especially now we are in a cycle of increases and reversed cuts if anything, but it's really annoying. The sacred cows of not means testing child benefit or pensions (even with a fairly generous threshold) are the obvious frustrations, and of they reformed those and increased tax breaks or grants for childcare or increased medical services for the elderly, everyone would be better off.

Comment

Please, please, please IRFU do not put any of those extremely tight rugby shirts on sale to the general public. Please.

Comment

Yeah, that's a problem in my opinion.

Imagine a scenario where there is no inheritance tax or DIRT. Someone inherits an amount of money that allows them to earn 100k a year interest on it. They will get to benefit from most things the government funds, but will not pay anything towards it.

By contrast, the person who works and earns 100k a year, will pay about 40k to fund those services.

The key thing though isn't the above, its the clear fact that inherited wealth increases social inequality.
                                                                                                                          Person earning 100k interest a year will pay a shit ton of DIRT, Income tax and CGT on investments and a heap of VAT given their high level of disposable income.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X