This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Can someone who knows about UFC explain how McGregor is the best p4p fighter in the world after only fighting in one division? Surely to be the best p4p fighter you have to win the title at multiple weights?

Seeing it all over social media all day so it may just be droolers posting.
    It's just a way of expressing an opinion on the best fighter in the world without someone saying that a heavier weight fighter would kill them. There are no criteria for this opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Is there auch a thing as amateur UFC fights? i.e. what is the actual participation rate?
      All UFC is MMA but not all MMA is UFC. The die hards get annoyed about that. Plenty of amateur MMA I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        I have been a boxing fan since I was a kid, and watched the McGregor fight. But that doesn't mean I would class as whingers anyone who questions whether it should still be a sport these days. [Insert aggressive / insulting phrasing of your choosing]
        Think you are disproving your own theory by admitting to being a fan yourself and not posting in an aggressive manner.

Comment

Is there auch a thing as amateur UFC fights? i.e. what is the actual participation rate?
          Doesn't Mellor do it ?
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
            The participants and supporters of the sport don't give a fuck what you think. Civilisation has been watching men fight for entertainment since the dawn of time. It will continue for a long time more.
            Illustrating the grimness quite well there

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              All UFC is MMA but not all MMA is UFC. The die hards get annoyed about that. Plenty of amateur MMA I would think.
              ty

I thus take it all of our mega-fans on here have participated and know what it's like to beat an unconsious man until being dragged off. What's it like?
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd honestly rather watch cock fighting or Badger baiting than UFC and either of those would be sickening.
                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 13-12-15, 22:57.

Comment

It's MMA, not UFC. There is loads of amateur and pro organisations. UFC is the biggest of the lot and travels worldwide. USA has a decent sized company called Bellator that is looking to compete with UFC by signing washed up big names. Africa has a big promotion as does Asia. There is a loads of smaller promotions in USA and Europe from professional all the way down to amateur. The sport is pretty big.

I don't know the numbers but gyms across Ireland and the UK are booming and events are put on all over the island all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    I'd honestly rather watch cock fighting or Badger baiting than MMA and either of those would be sickening.
                    Talk to Joe m8

That's where this drivel belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                      It's MMA, not UFC. There is loads of amateur and pro organisations. UFC is the biggest of the lot and travels worldwide. USA has a decent sized company called Bellator that is looking to compete with UFC by signing washed up big names. Africa has a big promotion as does Asia. There is a loads of smaller promotions in USA and Europe from professional all the way down to amateur. The sport is pretty big.

I don't know the numbers but gyms across Ireland and the UK are booming and events are put on all over the island all the time.
                      Have you done much of it yourself m8?

Comment

Have you done much of it yourself m8?
                        I have never trained any form of MMA.

Comment

Mellor's log involves him preparing and partaking in a couple of fights.
                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Seriously though does the sight of the two bare knuckle thumps to the head and then yer man getting pummelled on the ground not sicken people ?

Comment

ty

I thus take it all of our mega-fans on here have participated and know what it's like to beat an unconsious man until being dragged off. What's it like?

How much rugby you played m8?

It doesn't matter what you think anyway, your disapproval of the sport is immaterial to my ability to enjoy it or of those generating ever higher revenues for the sport.
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Seriously though does the sight of the two bare knuckle thumps to the head and then yer man getting pummelled on the ground not sicken people ?
                                Turns me on.

Comment

I've seen worse when I worked in a nightclub. You'd see worse outside almost any chipper in Ireland at 4am on a Saturday night. It wasn't that bad. Just a good clean punch.

Comment

Fighting involves people getting knocked the fuck out in brutal fashion. This isn't news.

Comment

ty

I was a point fighter. I did some continuous years back but it was never my preference.
                                      I'll admit to being slightly dismissive of mma years back as it seemed to be equally dismissive of what I'd taken years to become proficient in. This was a mistake on my part and one I deeply regret as I lost interest in karate for much the same reasons mma shat on it but my that time my motivation to keep learning was gone
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

How much rugby you played m8?

It doesn't matter what you think anyway, your disapproval of the sport is immaterial to my ability to enjoy it or of those generating ever higher revenues for the sport.
                                        I played rugby for a few years actually. Was better at hockey so gave it up.

I just find it wierd that the vast majority of UFC fans can derive such vicarious enjoyment from an activity they would never dream of participating in themselves. It might be some kind of acceptable modern way of appeasing and indeed suppressing more primal urges

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          This is high level stuff. SP looks positively amateur in comparison
                                          Perhaps you missed this classic on facebook

Originally posted by Finkel
                                          The X factor is more realistic than that nonsense last night with that chap fighting in the cage ‪#‎fix‬

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                            Think you are disproving your own theory by admitting to being a fan yourself and not posting in an aggressive manner.
                                            Shut up cunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              Those ribs!!! Holy jaysis.
                                              Deffo gona check that place out next March.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I just find it wierd that the vast majority of UFC fans can derive such vicarious enjoyment from an activity they would never dream of participating in themselves. It might be some kind of acceptable modern way of appeasing and indeed suppressing more primal urges
                                                I like horse racing but would never dream of jumping a fence while on one.

American football is the same, I won't be throwing pads on anytime soon.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I'd honestly rather watch cock fighting or Badger baiting than UFC and either of those would be sickening.
                                                    Well you do enjoy a sport that sees horses die every year. Maybe you just enjoy watching animals getting hurt over humans.

Comment

Comment

A tinder profile.

I am six foot and four inches, those are two measurements.
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Well if Finkel says it...
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                              How can people who get emotional about horsies get sanctimonious about mma???
                                                              fewer deaths in mma
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                Talk to Joe m8

That's where this drivel belongs.
                                                                Speaking of, the only man to beat McGregor.

Comment

Id guess a silky 13 or tackle dodging wing like myself.

Comment

Shotokan in my 20s, did well for a few years then lost interest as it was deffo a minority sport and there was nowhere to go with it some inter discipline competitions but mostly just training, kumetti and wokr your way through the belts. . Meh. Some of the exercises that were frowned upon are actually now considered excellent . I played a few sports after and I put down any tenacity I had to the training in shotokan.

One of the reasons I admire Mcgregor and the like is their dedication to the sport. If you hate the sport that's fine but nobody can deny the hours of blood sweat and tears these guys put in plus the artistry in some of their techniques. Wish I had that dedication to anything. As for drugs, I'd say a fair few indulge, I'd say coke is big off training.
                                                                    I would make some changes to MMA and prohibit punching on the ground, this may wrap up fights but is a somewhat cowardly aspect of the sport. If you are good enough to put him down, do it again, no need to dismantle his face to win a bout. I doubt the sanity of people who approve of that. It's not in the spirit of martial arts (maybe marital arts ).

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      Id guess a silky 13 or tackle dodging wing like myself.
                                                                      TAG imo, with pink ribbons.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        Wrote an email in French there to an AirBnB lady. Copied it into Google Translate before sending to check I hadn't just typed nonsense and it suggested I'd written something perfectly intelligible. Level Up!
                                                                        As an avid Peppa Pig watcher I find this very funny, as would daddy pig.

Reminds me must record series 4 on Nick Junior tomorrow. (I iz excited)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                            Fellow avid Peppa fan but don't get it. It's been about two years since really watching it though. Gearing up for round two now when kid2 takes an interest!
                                                                            Just for you - at 27 seconds in The phones talking nonsense ( I know, a new low for the bbv :-)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

The participants and supporters of the sport don't give a fuck what you think.
                                                                              I'm not trying to debate or argue with him. I'm simply informing him that fans of the sport won't care for such an opinion or give it a moment's credence.
                                                                              That's an utterly facile point. We don't debate the merits of things to convince those participating in them about our point of view necessarily. That may come later of course. We debate them to determine whether as a society we consider the conduct under discussion to be acceptable. I don't think someone involved in cock fighting or badger baiting (to steal someone else's examples) cares much for what the world thinks of his activities but that doesn't for a moment mean we shouldn't discuss them.

Also, for what it's worth, Hotspur's "if you saw it on the street" argument is equally unhelpful. If I saw someone on the street grab another man and put his shoulder into his midriff and, wrapping his arms around him, attempt to push him backwards or drive him to the ground I would call the Gardai also. Unless, of course, I saw him do it during a rugby match. All sports require an acceptable level of interaction that is only acceptable in context. The question isn't the desirability or otherwise of the conduct in the abstract but rather in the specific context of the activity and the desirability or otherwise of that.
                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                That's an utterly facile point. We don't debate the merits of things to convince those participating in them about our point of view necessarily. That may come later of course. We debate them to determine whether as a society we consider the conduct under discussion to be acceptable. I don't think someone involved in cock fighting or badger baiting (to steal someone else's examples) cares much for what the world thinks of his activities but that doesn't for a moment mean we shouldn't discuss them.

Also, for what it's worth, Hotspur's "if you saw it on the street" argument is equally unhelpful. If I saw someone on the street grab another man and put his shoulder into his midriff and, wrapping his arms around him, attempt to push him backwards or drive him to the ground I would call the Gardai also. Unless, of course, I saw him do it during a rugby match. All sports require an acceptable level of interaction that is only acceptable in context. The question isn't the desirability or otherwise of the conduct in the abstract but rather in the specific context of the activity and the desirability or otherwise of that.
                                                                                also covered in the 'jumping in muddy puddles' episode of Peppa Pig. It's not a sport but try tell that to the world champion of jumping in muddy puddles.

If you saw two blokes bashing a canary, what would you do ? What if they said they were playing badminton ?

off to bed with Daddy pig now. goodnight academic insomniacs. (drugs are baaa)

Comment

You can't possibly be equating any rugby that you or I or Lloyd would have participated in, with for instance, what was on show at Toulon today? I love rugby, if I had Basteraud or Nonu running at me I would shit my pants. I'm sure you would too, does that mean we can't love rugby?

I am a soft fucker but I like watching the UFC. It is controlled with refferee and is two athletes that are highly trained fighting in a consentual bout. That is nothing like seeing some lad getting battered on the street. That would make me feel ill and I wouldn't be able to watch it. Comparing the two is just trolling.

Comment

Just to annoy Laz.

Thats just silly on my part. We must chat about Jesus in lyrics some time.

The wonderful late Sister Rosetta Tharpe performing her world famous gospel song "This Train" from the year 1964.Sister Rosetta Tharpe was an American singer...
                                                                                    Last edited by oleras; 14-12-15, 01:21.
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Think I spotted SP and RD here........

"I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony)" is a pop song which originated as an advertising jingle, produced by Billy Davis and sung by the H...

Comment

JJ Watt the animal playing with a broken hand!! C'mon pats can't lose 3 on the bounce.

Comment

m8s

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                            Imagine dropping 3k going to watch it.
                                                                                            I was at 189 in june, and would have liked to have been there this weekend. The 13 seconds wouldn't have bother me in the least.
                                                                                            The experience is the build up, the weigh-ins, the walk outs, the moments before the bell, and the celebration afterwards. Whether the fight lasts 13 seconds or 13 minutes has very little impact on the overall experience imo.

Not to mention the other 11 fights on the night, many of which were excellent.

You do wonder how much of that result was basically a coinflip,I'm pretty new to mma so????
                                                                                            The result was the product of 1000s of hours of practice.

McGregor warming up in the locker room

The left hand has done it before

The presser from McGregor was class: "winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners"
                                                                                            It's something he said before the fight also. His mental strength and whole outlook on success is truely inspiring.

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                            Can someone who knows about UFC explain how McGregor is the best p4p fighter in the world after only fighting in one division? Surely to be the best p4p fighter you have to win the title at multiple weights?

Seeing it all over social media all day so it may just be droolers posting.
                                                                                            Aldo was considered the P4P best. McGregor has elevated himself to those levels.
                                                                                            P4P has nothing to do with different weight classes. It's just a comparative assessment of fighters of different weights.

But FWIW, McGregor has compete in two weight classes (Lightweight and Featherweight). He held the cage warrior title in both divisions when he signed to the UFC. He goal is to be a two weight champ in the UFC also.

Comment

Got lively here tonight. Think the anti MMA crew should save their prissy ramblings for the Irish Times letter page,that is the natural home for out of touch drool in Ireland.

Comment

long post warning...

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                I have read studies on testosterone levels increasing in fans of winning sports teams, but I haven't seen any on fight fans. Intuitively one would expect the increase to be even higher for that. But we can see here very clearly after each McGregor fight how the fans come on to spout aggression at others.

I put this down to the increase in their levels of testosterone. And I don't think any other explanation is even close.
                                                                                                Do you actually believe that or are you just trying to add weight to your position. Genuine question. There's a few problems with the theory imo.

I've read the same, or a similar study (I've a read a bit on testosterone in general). I think the referenced event in the study was the 94 world cup final. The increase is T levels from experiencing vicarious victory appears to be real, and it stands to reason that it would apply to combat sports too. But it's a huge jump from there to attributing it to aggression. The increase is relatively small, and completely in line with daily fluctuations. Testosterone is at it's highest upon waking up, and falls over the course of the day. The increase from watching your team win a big game is small blip on this decline. It doesn't even increase it back to the peak in the morning, only about halfway back.
                                                                                                So if this increase was actually causing aggressive posting after big fights, then stands to reason that it would be considerably worse every single morning when every male poster experiences increased in testosterone. But thankfully that doesn't appear to be the case.

Watching a team lose also cause a equal dip in testosterone in the other direction. Losing sports fans are usually the most aggressive and agitated. Which goes against the theory above also.

Finally, T-Levels build up while we sleep hence the morning peak mentioned above. The biggest disruption to testosterone levels is caused by lack of sleep. One of the tricks used to get a doctor to prescribe TRT is simply stay up all night the night before a bloodtest. Given that most big fights happen in Vegas, watching live means staying up until 5 or 6am. This likely causes T-levels to plummet. If you are drinking, it'll decline further. Even with the victory boost, T-Levels are still probably crippled post UFC.

Far, more likely than testosterone being the culprit. It's simply that people argue about sports. You see it all the time when people post about soccer, GAA, or what ever else. Regardless of the whether their team just won, lost or played at all.

Doesn't Mellor do it ?
                                                                                                Yeah. Immensely happy with the decision to give it a go.
                                                                                                When I was home last Xmas my younger brother (14) came along with me to the gym to watch. He signed up himself the following day and has been training twice a week for the last year. My parents are delighted in the effect its had on him, physically and mentally.
                                                                                                He was a chubby teenager, who lived on Mcdonalds chicken nuggets and got zero exercise. He's now watching what he eats and actively checking whats in his food. His confidence has grown a lot too, he was slightly timid and probably prone to being picked on a little bit.
                                                                                                You are perfectly entitled to not enjoy MMA or any sport, of course. But I'm guessing that you did actually watch the fight, and previous fights. Curiosity?
                                                                                                They weren't bareknuckle, you know that.
                                                                                                Pummeled? That's quite the hyperbole.
                                                                                                Jose Aldo took very little damage for a title fight. McGregor landed 4 punches. That's nothing. Contrast that with boxing, Mayweather landed 232 punches in his last fight.

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                I would make some changes to MMA and prohibit punching on the ground, this may wrap up fights but is a somewhat cowardly aspect of the sport. If you are good enough to put him down, do it again, no need to dismantle his face to win a bout. I doubt the sanity of people who approve of that. It's not in the spirit of martial arts (maybe marital arts ).
                                                                                                What you describing is basically kickboxing. MMA includes ground fighting, ie wrestling, jiu jitsu, with strikes included. Not every transition to the ground involves a knocked out fighter. The vast majority of knock downs aren't knock outs. In this fight, the last two were probably unnecessary. But McGregor had to make a split second decision. If it ensures the fight is over, then the net effect is less damage overall. Letting him up to repeat results is more damage.

That sums up everything that is wrong with boxing imo. The whole premise of the 10-count results in fighters taking more abuse. You hit somebody until hey can't stand, let them have 10 seconds to recover, and then try to do it again. The metric for being fit to continue is the ability to stand.

As an example, this video. What was the point in the standing 8 count here? Did the fighter look in any way ready to continue. Not in my eyes.
                                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 14-12-15, 11:31.

Comment

7
                                                                                                  Got lively here tonight. Think the anti MMA crew should save their prissy ramblings for the Irish Times letter page,that is the natural home for out of touch drool in Ireland.
                                                                                                  Flexing my typing fingers right now.

Has anyone here ever written a letter to the IT? The letters page seems highly (and maybe suspiciously) formulaic.

Comment

7

Flexing my typing fingers right now.

Has anyone here ever written a letter to the IT? The letters page seems highly (and maybe suspiciously) formulaic.
                                                                                                    Signed my name to an open letter. They edit the letters and obviously select appropriate ones for the paper. It lends to the sameness of the tone

Comment

Yea I had a letter in it a few years ago bitching about the people who I went for an interview with last week.

Comment

Saturday afternoon, in the centre of town a junkie got on board a bus that was parked up for a while. He found the emergency hammer and then proceeded to break 14 windows on the top deck of the bus . When he got to the emergency window at the back, he had a bit of trouble smashing it so he took a run at it and promptly fell out the hole and broke his leg when he landed on the road.
                                                                                                        Justice.

Comment

Yea I had a letter in it a few years ago bitching about the people who I went for an interview with last week.
                                                                                                          I hope it was vitriolic and they brought it up in the interview?

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                                                                            Saturday afternoon, in the centre of town a junkie got on board a bus that was parked up for a while. He found the emergency hammer and then proceeded to break 14 windows on the top deck of the bus . When he got to the emergency window at the back, he had a bit of trouble smashing it so he took a run at it and promptly fell out the hole and broke his leg when he landed on the road.
                                                                                                            Justice.
                                                                                                            No doubt he / his solicitor will find some grounds for damages against the bus company.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                              No doubt he / his solicitor will find some grounds for damages against the bus company.
                                                                                                              sounds like he found the ground already

Comment

I hope it was vitriolic and they brought it up in the interview?
                                                                                                                It was, but they didn't bring it up. 3-4 years ago now so unlikely they remember.

Comment

Haha...found the letter. That's some anger right there. Last paragraph is gold if I do say so myself.

Sir, – After the head of the European Research Council called into question why Ireland doesn’t have the same levels of success…

Comment

Conor McGregor lives his life by The Secret

Comment

Haha...found the letter. That's some anger right there. Last paragraph is gold if I do say so myself.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/le...nding-1.537316
                                                                                                                      There's nothing really there that anyone in academia hasn't known for years? And anyone outside of probably doesn't care about.
                                                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Yea its 3.5 years old...nothing has changed!

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                                          Unlikely.

Hilarious, but unlikely

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X