This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
    Love that guy. Interesting book too. Great holiday read with a rather large gin.
    I don't know why I should but I do love the fact that he's been running a dry cleaners in Baltimore for years.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      I don't know why I should but I do love the fact that he's been running a dry cleaners in Baltimore for years.
      He's personally on the hook for $800m - he hardly has much incentive to work his bollocks off!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        He's personally on the hook for $800m - he hardly has much incentive to work his bollocks off!
        Thats fairly sick.
        Whole bankruptcy thing here is starting to shake things up. Was talking today about a guy we know who apparently has had a real bite of reality recently. All very complicated as you'd imagine but the thing that is really hitting him now is that the banks finally took back the last few houses he had rented out. He hadn't paid a penny probably since as far back as '09 when he was moved off interest only but had been collecting rent in cash ever since. Although the truth is that whatever pain he's feeling at the loss of cashflow the real losers here are his local paddy power shop

Comment

Thats fairly sick.
          Whole bankruptcy thing here is starting to shake things up. Was talking today about a guy we know who apparently has had a real bite of reality recently. All very complicated as you'd imagine but the thing that is really hitting him now is that the banks finally took back the last few houses he had rented out. He hadn't paid a penny probably since as far back as '09 when he was moved off interest only but had been collecting rent in cash ever since. Although the truth is that whatever pain he's feeling at the loss of cashflow the real losers here are his local paddy power shop
          presumably you have shopped him to Revenue given your tough stance on legally buying alcohol from abroad?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Suppose laundry is in the blood. I admire his follow through.

Comment

Thats fairly sick.
              But how much did he win?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                presumably you have shopped him to Revenue given your tough stance on legally buying alcohol from abroad?
                I'd say the revenue would come pretty low on his list of problems... top of it would probably be the bank that have turned up a guarantee containing a signature supposedly from his rather formidable wife. Could get very messy as as there is a 0% chance she actually signed anything for him.

Comment

I've 2 standing tickets for Mumford and Sons in the 3arena on Thursday night selling at face value which is E115. If anyone is interested, please PM me. They are in PDF format so can be printed, would accept pokerstars for payment if thats handy anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                    DVD region codes still a thing?? lol DVD's.
                    There is a particular dvd I want to get and can only find one region 2 source - where it will cost 25e. As opposed to shit tonne of region 4's available which could get to me from Australia for 10e.
                    Buy the region 4s and use WinX DVD ripper platinum(cousins)to convert it into a file then burn it onto a DVD-RW

Comment

Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                        I've 2 standing tickets for Mumford and Sons in the 3arena on Thursday night selling at face value which is E115. If anyone is interested, please PM me. They are in PDF format so can be printed, would accept pokerstars for payment if thats handy anymore?
                        Two standing tix is 115? This is why I download.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                          Buy the region 4s and use WinX DVD ripper platinum(cousins)to convert it into a file then burn it onto a DVD-RW
                          thanks, waay too much work, im old now
                          Originally posted by CHD View Post
                          hi
                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

m8

Comment

m8

Comment

12 days til fight night. You in?

Comment

Where is this place that you download a concert?

Comment

Chicken and egg. Downloading is prob why a lot of tix are stupid money.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Steak dinner out is €100? This is why I eat steak flavored hunky dorrys
                                      Last edited by RichieM; 02-12-15, 09:26.

Comment

So I see from Twitter that some poker players are "going on strike" against poker stars.

Aw, bless their cotton socks.

SPOILER
                                        I should really do a cull of my followees

Comment

Some amount of twats in the Gate last night who continually laughed out loud just as the presumably witty lines were delivered, meaning that those of us who don't know the Wilde script like they do can't actually hear the lines at all.

They are basically the theatrical equivalent of football hooligans.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                            Steak dinner out is €100? This is why I eat steak flavored hunky dorrys
                                            People who go to concerts usually go for a steak dinner beforehand

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                Some amount of twats in the Gate last night who continually laughed out loud just as the presumably witty lines were delivered, meaning that those of us who don't know the Wilde script like they do can't actually hear the lines at all.

Cunce m8. I hope you gave them the glaring of a lifetime.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

kind of expect it at a play but went to see the lady in the van a few weeks back and those pricks had decided to bring the show to the cinema.

Comment

I've also got 2x seated Mumford and Sons tickets for tonight if anyone's interested. Face value is €58 each but would sell the pair for €100.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Oh have seen that, so fcking annoying.

An alternative analogy would be people who highlight sentences in library books, so your attention is involuntarily drawn to those lines as important despite your wish to make up your own mind as to what is or isn't important.
                                                        When the film quizshow came out a good few years back, I was highly tempted to go again the following night and start shouting out the answers.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                            Delightful... you can see just the tiniest flicker of a grin on Joe's face when he hears the clang.
                                                            Unlikely to be any brain damage

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                              When the film quizshow came out a good few years back, I was highly tempted to go again the following night and start shouting out the answers.
                                                              Of course I didn't need to go a second time to do that

Comment

Of course I didn't need to go a second time to do that
                                                                You'd seen the original airing of the questions back in the 1950s?

Comment

You'd seen the original airing of the questions back in the 1950s?
                                                                  I'll tee em up, you knock em outta the park

Comment

TIL: Quiz Show

That looks like a class movie.
                                                                    John turturro puts in a great performance

Comment

Off to Paris on Friday. Hopefully all the candles and stuff have been cleared away.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                        Off to Paris on Friday. Hopefully all the candles and stuff have been cleared away.
                                                                        climate talks are on at the moment so worse to fear is a few riots here and there

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Probably the most satisfying thing I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                            climate talks are on at the moment so worse to fear is a few riots here and there
                                                                            Oh ya, forgot about that. I won't bother dropping by to see Barack and the lads though.

Any recommendations for non energetic things to do? What's the best way to get a travel pass for the metro for the weekend? I assume metro transport is the best way to get about generally?

Comment

Gary Chucklebrother new coach of Valencia - just as I was beginning to like him as a pundit on Sky.

Comment

The owner of Valencia is the co owner of Salford aswell with Neville et all.

Comment

Oh ya, forgot about that. I won't bother dropping by to see Barack and the lads though.

Any recommendations for non energetic things to do? What's the best way to get a travel pass for the metro for the weekend? I assume metro transport is the best way to get about generally?
                                                                                  you can get a travelcard for however many days you need (i think it's roughly 10 euros a day)

non energetic: get a bateau mouche and see paris from the river. take a lift up the eiffel tower. get an ice cream at "berthillon".

if it's a nice day walk from the Louvres to the champs elysees via le jardin des tuileries (no need to go up them, it's a big shopping street). then walk to the trocadero, and you'll be opposite the eiffel tower.

tons of museums if that's your thing. they're all amazing tbf. Louvres is too busy on the weekend so if you want to do one museum with a good permanent collection, i would suggest the musee d'orsay.

walk around ile de la cite and ile st louis, visit notre dame, walk along the banks of the river.

For something different, visit the catacoombs (paris's underbelly full of mass burial sites and crypts) or pere lachaise cemetery with its hundreds of famous people. have a joint on Jim Morrison's grave.

basically, just decide which buildings you really want to see (centre pompidou, sacre coeur, arc de triomphe, etc.) set a course and walk, walk walk.

Where will you be based?

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

you can get a travelcard for however many days you need (i think it's roughly 10 euros a day)

non energetic: get a bateau mouche and see paris from the river. take a lift up the eiffel tower. get an ice cream at "berthillon".

if it's a nice day walk from the Louvres to the champs elysees via le jardin des tuileries (no need to go up them, it's a big shopping street). then walk to the trocadero, and you'll be opposite the eiffel tower.

tons of museums if that's your thing. they're all amazing tbf. Louvres is too busy on the weekend so if you want to do one museum with a good permanent collection, i would suggest the musee d'orsay.

walk around ile de la cite and ile st louis, visit notre dame, walk along the banks of the river.

For something different, visit the catacoombs (paris's underbelly full of mass burial sites and crypts) or pere lachaise cemetery with its hundreds of famous people. have a joint on Jim Morrison's grave.

basically, just decide which buildings you really want to see (centre pompidou, sacre coeur, arc de triomphe, etc.) set a course and walk, walk walk.

Where will you be based?
                                                                                      We're staying in a hotel called les jardins du morais on rue amelot.

My French is a bit rusty, to say the least. Bateau mouche translates in my head as moustache stick, so I'll make sure to pick up one of those.

Comment

We're staying in a hotel called les jardins du morais on rue amelot.

My French is a bit rusty, to say the least. Bateau mouche translates in my head as moustache stick, so I'll make sure to pick up one of those.
                                                                                        bateau mouche are those flat boats you'll see going up an down the seine

you're in a great area. close to Bastille for bars and clubs in the evening. close to le marais which is the jewish part of town (also the gay part now) with narrow streets, restaurants, bars, etc. well worth a wander. You're also next to the place des vosges, make sure you go there for a quick visit/walkthrough as it's pretty special!

Comment

Comment

I'm saving season 2 of fargo for a Christmas binge.

Comment

There is a particularly irritating ostentatious laugh that you only ever here at the theatre or at subtitled French or German films. Cunce

Comment

...

Comment

Where will you be based?
                                                                                                  Is the Christmas market at ile des France started? Thought it was decent enough when there a couple of years ago

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                    I'm saving season 2 of fargo for a Christmas binge.
                                                                                                    I'd be jealous except that I'll probably be watching it again then and enjoying it just as much second time around, ya.

We were in the middle of watching it last night when my Sister in law skyped from Omaha where she lives and has now got that whole sub scandi accent thing going on having been living there for 30 years now. Normally we'd hardly notice it but in the context of pausing the show to talk to her we are in knots laughing at her and imitating in response.

Comment

If i know 5star like i think i know 5star this is what he'll do first
                                                                                                      Yep, huge fan of the drugs, me. Drugs and music are things I really enjoy. You got me.

Comment

If i know 5star like i think i know 5star this is what he'll do first
                                                                                                        I know! he'll drop a couple of tabs, smoke joints all night long, get naked and sing and dance the whole night through with the hippies and guitar wankers there, and end up calling his first child moonbeam.

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                        Is the Christmas market at ile des France started? Thought it was decent enough when there a couple of years ago
                                                                                                        never heard of it. Xmas markets are a very new thing in France. The only one i know is the one they put up at the bottom of the Champs Elysees (not sure when it starts though).
                                                                                                        Last edited by shrapnel; 02-12-15, 15:11.

Comment

I know! he'll drop a couple of tabs, smoke joints all night long, get naked and sing and dance the whole night through with the hippies and guitar wankers there, and end up calling his first child moonbeam.
                                                                                                          Is this a regular thing? I'd go over for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                            Is this a regular thing? I'd go over for that.
                                                                                                            Pretty much. There's always a big gathering on the anniversary of his death (or there always used to be in my time) in July, and during the summer, you'd constantly have people there smoking joints and singing songs.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                              One at the bottom of champs elysee is pretty massive and cool. Takes up both sides of the street and has a nice little outdoor ice rink on one side. Definitely worth checking out imo 5star.

Comment

Yep, huge fan of the drugs, me. Drugs and music are things I really enjoy. You got me.
                                                                                                                At least it will get you away from the gay jews for a while.

Comment

I'd be jealous except that I'll probably be watching it again then and enjoying it just as much second time around, ya.

We were in the middle of watching it last night when my Sister in law skyped from Omaha where she lives and has now got that whole sub scandi accent thing going on having been living there for 30 years now. Normally we'd hardly notice it but in the context of pausing the show to talk to her we are in knots laughing at her and imitating in response.
                                                                                                                  oh yah?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Comment

Interesting* chaos at work at the moment. Celebrating a rather spectacular rise to fifth in research rankings for business schools the Dean exhuberantly announced a new research policy in the national newspapers without telling any of the profs first.

It's based on a research journal ranking system that every country has. Essentially of all reputable business journals there are, the top 40% or so receive a ranking based on their impact and the others are discarded.

Then within these ranked journals, there are four classifications. 4-ranked journals are about 20%, 3-ranked about 15%, 2-ranked 5%, and 1-ranked less than 1%. There's one last 1* group which is less than 0.1%.

You get compensated nothing for 4, €4k bonus for 3, €7.5k for 2, and €10k for 1.

Anyway a lot of people would publish at 3 level. The minimum needed to keep your research status (and only do 100 hours teaching a year vs 400 for nonresearch) and earn a bit of cash.

So he announced he was doing away with 3s altogether and use the savings to pay more bonuses to people doing 1 and 2s.

Cue 50% of faculty facing doom (I'm grand as everyone hired recently was because they can publish at 2 - thank fck for a phenomenal mentoring scheme in Dublin). Anyway, theres a massive uprising, everyone saying they'd leave. He essentially turned around and goes - all right so, off you go.

A rather ballsy move by the big man, but a bit brutal all the same.

* may not be interesting
                                                                                                                          So which of the 2 reasons do you think is behind it really.

1-He thinks you are awesome and in comparison all his shitty grade 3's now disgust him so he wants to clean house and upgrade.

2-Nobody is actually teaching courses in the Uni since they are all lazying around doing low grade lvl 3 publishing. This way he can get the same level of contact hours for students and 1/4 of the bill.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X