This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Isis make Al Queda look like boy scouts. Their main objective is to restore the Caliphate, killing all kaffirs (that would include you and me) along the way.

Western liberals looking around for reasons to blame themselves are the modern day equivalent of Chamberlain and Daladier.
    It's one of the few things I'd question your judgement on. The view that the it's up to the likes of Palestine to make the first move. Or that ISIS are the original instigators.

Stick me in Palestine, I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in Afghanistan, I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in Derry in the 60s I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in a ghetto in Paris I'd probably be pissed off, stick me in a cosy western democracy and I create tax revenue. It's not the people it's the situation.

It's horrible short sighted mismanagement of domestic and international affairs by western states that's created most of this.
    Last edited by Denny Crane; 14-11-15, 11:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      It's one of the few things I'd question you judgement on. The view that the it's up to the likes of Palestine to make the first move.

Stick me in Palestine, I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in Afghanistan, I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in Derry in the 60s I'd probably be a terrorist, stick me in a ghetto in Paris I'd probably be pissed off, stick me in a cosy western democracy and I create tax revenue. It's not the people it's the situation.

It's horrible short sighted mismanagement of domestic and international affairs by western states that's created most of this.
      You raise an interesting point but it is a bit of a leap from being pissed of living in a ghetto in Paris to what happend isn't it.
      Last edited by shano1888; 14-11-15, 11:11.

Comment

Do IS have an endgame? Is there something that they are trying to achieve long term?

Comment

IIt's horrible short sighted mismanagement of domestic and international affairs by western states that's created most of this.
          There is an element of truth to that but the main issue is that an element within Islam has gone full batshit psychotic and decided to turn its back on the modern world. They are in their own version of the Dark Ages.

This is way way beyond "disaffected, alienated youth" and searching for explanations within our own frame of reference is not going to yield results. This is existential. A religion gone rogue.

paging hotspur as he could no doubt explain it much better
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

It's one of the few things I'd question your judgement on.
            my judgment should be questioned on just about everything!

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
              Do IS have an endgame? Is there something that they are trying to achieve long term?
              Paradise. There is no rationalising with that mindset - either they kill you or you kill them.

there was a decent cartoon on Jihadi John yesterday (presumably meeting his 72 virgins):

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                He wants a nice burger.
                Jalapeno popper is a good burger.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Turo is a smart idea. Airbnb of car rentals. Don't think it's in Europe yet, but you'd imagine people would happily ditch car rental companies without a seconds doubt.
                Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                Airbnb works because the standard alternative can be horrendously expensive.

You can hire basically a decent brand new car for €25/day these days.
                They don't exactly make it easy, taking buses around industrial estates in Swords and filling in reams of forms. The Toro thing isn't new but there is definitely room for someone who can make it a lot easier.
                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post

Isis seem to be a different beast altogether in that they don't seem to want autonomy over certain land or have a list of demands that they wish to negotiate on. They just seem to want to kill anyone who is not Muslim and even those Muslims who are not Muslim enough.
                  Isis are one of the few groups that do want autonomy over certain land. Setting up a caliphate is one of their main goals.http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-wants/384980/

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      Isis are one of the few groups that do want autonomy over certain land. Setting up a caliphate is one of their main goals.http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-wants/384980/
                      including large chunks of europe, sure why not

Comment

If you started any of these stories with 'you know that country we were proudly talking about bombing last week? Yeah, well those evil bastards from that country have gone and bombed us back'. It's a very different perspective... Fairly certain I read a story just last week about how the French gov was trumpeting their XXX number of bombs dropped on ISIS.

This is my perspective on any US gun massacre anyway: don't you guys sell guns in supermarkets? How is a gun massacre a surprise so?
                        See there you go with your rational view of cause and effect.

ISIS don't work like that

After all, the Yezidis, Shia, Druze, Circassians, Assyrians etc that they are busy beheading didn't bomb them - they are just unbelievers. As are you and me - we are all marked down for extermination in the ISIS worldview. Those Parisians last night were just more kaffirs in their view.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Paradise. There is no rationalising with that mindset - either they kill you or you kill them.

there was a decent cartoon on Jihadi John yesterday (presumably meeting his 72 virgins):

That's offensive to us virgins.

Comment

See there you go with your rational view of cause and effect.

ISIS don't work like that

After all, the Yezidis, Shia, Druze, Circassians, Assyrians etc that they are busy beheading didn't bomb them - they are just unbelievers. As are you and me - we are all marked down for extermination in the ISIS worldview. Those Parisians last night were just more kaffirs in their view.
                                Why though?

Comment

Why though?
                                  Because they believe that anyone who doesn't believe what they do deserve to die. It's batshit crazy.

Comment

Jesus,some cunt dragged a piano down to the Bataclan and played Imagine this morning. There are no words

Comment

France has gone to shit since Hitch.

Comment

Ever since that WHO story on bacon and cancer i've become counter-intuitively obsessed with eating bacon. Found a good pork butchers in the market today with a big filet of bacon and asked for a few slices. He shows me the first slice and i say that's a bit thin, can i have thicker slices? So he hands me the original too-thin to-be-discarded slice and motions for me to eat it with a proud look on his face. I'm trying to think of the French words for - i think this is meant to be cooked first, but instead sucked it up for social pressure and ate the raw rasher all the while making appreciative noises. For the curious: a raw rasher tastes almost exactly like you would expect a raw rasher to taste like.
                                        LOL. I can picture the butcher laughing how he got a silly Irish man to eat raw pork with his mates later
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                          LOL. I can picture the butcher laughing how he got a silly Irish man to eat raw pork with his mates later
                                          nah, bacon in france is smoked shoulder, belly or breast and can easily be eaten raw.

Comment

Ever since that WHO story on bacon and cancer i've become counter-intuitively obsessed with eating bacon. Found a good pork butchers in the market today with a big filet of bacon and asked for a few slices. He shows me the first slice and i say that's a bit thin, can i have thicker slices? So he hands me the original too-thin to-be-discarded slice and motions for me to eat it with a proud look on his face. I'm trying to think of the French words for - i think this is meant to be cooked first, but instead sucked it up for social pressure and ate the raw rasher all the while making appreciative noises. For the curious: a raw rasher tastes almost exactly like you would expect a raw rasher to taste like.
                                            I think the italian for it is carpaccio. Had raw beef in Vegas, was actually nice

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                              I think the italian for it is carpaccio. Had raw beef in Vegas, was actually nice
                                              carpaccio is made from red meat

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

ah so its not like Irish / British bacon so; or can that be eaten raw too?
                                                      don't think it can, but not 100% certain on that.

i think in France it is properly smoked, whereas the english one is slightly smoked. You can see the difference really in the french one when you buy it. it's already quite hard and compact (almost looks like ham with layers of compact fat) whereas in the UK it looks raw and soft.

Comment

Oh thats awfully cringeworthy. Think the #Prayfar hashtags are even worse. Seemingly sending a message that what this event has conclusively proved is that the world needs more religion.
                                                        Our god is bigger than their god

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                          carpaccio is made from red meat
                                                          Or fish. I thought it was meat or fish just served raw

Comment

ah so its not like Irish / British bacon so; or can that be eaten raw too?
                                                            Only if you really like hospital food!

Comment

Comment

only if it consists of more delicious raw bacon!
                                                                Well maybe so going by the auld "the longer you stay... the longer you stay" hospital line

Comment

Comment

Anyone here ever lived/worked in Luxembourg? Any tips in sourcing accomadation?

Moving there in January for 8 months on placement so on a budget.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                        I'm begining to think he's joined Renua and is out canvassing or something. No sign of his fitness log being updated. No excoriation of the heartless right wing free marketeers in the BBV.
                                                                        He's just very busy and bogged down with personal life complications. Boards.ie is accessible in work, here isn't. I'm still training too, just seemed like updating the log was a few minutes from the week that was easy to drop.

I obviously think iSnow is a complete chancer scumbag and have always been happy to pay higher taxes to fund the type of social services I think we should have but unfortunately don't have the time required to confirm those opinions with you all at present.
                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                          Or fish. I thought it was meat or fish just served raw
                                                                          absolutely, i think it's just the technique of thinly slicing raw meat or fish. raw fish is better as ceviche imo (which i'm making tonight as it happens!!)

Comment

Wish Horatio a speedy recovery and fair play to you for posting about things in such an upbeat and positive tone. Bad heart related news is the worst. You'll get there, one day at a time, etc.
                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Sorry to hear that about your daughter Mrs Flushdraw. May be scant consolation but I went to see a band recently in Dublin where the lead singer has the same condition and has carved out a pretty incredible musical career despite his health issues:

Your daughter sounds like she has a really positive attitude, who knows what she is capable of!

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                Peaceful protest. Quote the section. 3:45 shit gets real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXqSQl0M5c
                                                                                The right outcome here would have involved that Gard being knocked the fuck out. There is absolutely nothing that occurs in that video that justifies that level of aggression. The mealy mouthed defense of his actions by Strewl is rather sad tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                  Because they believe that anyone who doesn't believe what they do deserve to die. It's batshit crazy.
                                                                                  Not really what I was asking...

Comment

Anybody recommend me some good kitchen knives? Shrap?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                      These guys make good stuff imo. You can pick them up in BT.

Shop the official Joseph Joseph store for chopping boards, kitchen utensils, innovative kitchenware and functional housewares.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                        The right outcome here would have involved that Gard being knocked the fuck out. There is absolutely nothing that occurs in that video that justifies that level of aggression. The mealy mouthed defense of his actions by Strewl is rather sad tbh.
                                                                                        Nothing that you see. There were maybe 10 cameras on that Garda right then and he knew it. Two things strike me as odd from that; first, why haven't we seen more footage of the incident and, secondly, no Garda in his right mind would react like that given that situation unless he was seriously provoked.

Also, a Garda is entitled to use force in a situation like that (although they really shouldn't unless they feel their safety or the safety of others is in jeopardy) but you are never entitled to lay a finger on a Garda.

The right outcome here would have been for the crowd to behave properly, not surround and intimidate a Garda in the exercise of his duty, follow instructions given by a Garda in a public place to stand back and continued their protest in a manner that could have achieved their stated objective (disruption and highlight of distressed property sales) without interrupting a member of An Garda Siochana in the performance of his duties.
                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                          Do you think the people responsible are unaware of the likely reaction? They are more aware of the outcome of these events than any of the other players. All terror groups follow the same tactics to a certain degree, from the IRA to ISIS.
                                                                                          The IRA never had suicide bombers. Many may feel it's an immaterial distinction but it's a really good thing that they never took further steps in that direction after the last hunger strikes were called off. Once you have terrorists that are willing to die as part of an attack the damage / casualties that can be inflicted scale up significantly. And an organisation with such members willing to go to such extremes can probably never be rationally bargained with.

It's obviously very important that we avoid calling out a huge swathe of the world because a tiny minority of them have decided to wage a deluded war which is essentially against freedom and progress, but at the same time I can understand why people in France would vote for the National Front after stuff like this happens. Certainly I feel hard questions need to be asked about what to do about the Syria / Libya / Iraq situations. It is increasingly clear that the arab spring was an extremely negative event and twitter didn't solve the Middle East (I'm being glib here obviously but the point remains). Russia have the right idea imo - get boots on the ground and support Assad controlling the whole of the country. You can always negotiate with a Dictator...

A friend of mine was in the Stade de France when the bombs went off. He said that people really rallied around there last night. Taxi Drivers getting people home for free, strangers welcomed off the street to stay in people's houses. I thought the statement of Hollande was admirable in its conviction. The Nazis were executed or left to consume cyanide and rightly so. These fucking pricks need to be hunted down and eradicated from the earth one by one. The broader question of multiculturalism / integration / tolerance is a longer term question. But ISIS and failed states spilling hordes of refugees into Europe is a here and now problem requiring a much more decisive and immediate solution imo.

Comment

It's a weird thing to link the guys strutting around Paris last night with their bomb belts and AKs to the miserable huddled masses in the camps in Calais, who are trying to run away from them.

It's very hard to know how to even begin to respond to the idea of suicide bombers and mass murderers turning up on our figurative doorstep, but the issue of letting refugees into the country seems tangentially related at best.

Comment

definitely not an expert. i have one knife which i use almost exclusively since i got it. (add a small odd job kitchen knife and you're covered for 98% of needs)

https://www.robertwelch.com/kitchen/...knife_17cm.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                Nothing that you see. There were maybe 10 cameras on that Garda right then and he knew it. Two things strike me as odd from that; first, why haven't we seen more footage of the incident and, secondly, no Garda in his right mind would react like that given that situation unless he was seriously provoked.

Also, a Garda is entitled to use force in a situation like that (although they really shouldn't unless they feel their safety or the safety of others is in jeopardy) but you are never entitled to lay a finger on a Garda.

The right outcome here would have been for the crowd to behave properly, not surround and intimidate a Garda in the exercise of his duty, follow instructions given by a Garda in a public place to stand back and continued their protest in a manner that could have achieved their stated objective (disruption and highlight of distressed property sales) without interrupting a member of An Garda Siochana in the performance of his duties.
                                                                                                Sorry Keith, but at the end of the day the video shows the man behind him in the 30 seconds leading up to it. That man isn't pushing the Gard or threatening him in anyway. He is then lamped aggressively in the head (or at least that's the intention). The Gards safety or that of others was not in jeopardy. So fuck him and I stand by my opinion that it's an awful shame he wasn't immediately lamped in the head. Aggressive bullying deserves to be met by an equal reaction in all walks of life.

Comment

There's another angle that shows him pulling and dragging out of the Garda for about a minute beforehand and trying to grab his notebook just before he gets clocked.

Comment

It's a weird thing to link the guys strutting around Paris last night with their bomb belts and AKs to the miserable huddled masses in the camps in Calais, who are trying to run away from them.

It's very hard to know how to even begin to respond to the idea of suicide bombers and mass murderers turning up on our figurative doorstep, but the issue of letting refugees into the country seems tangentially related at best.
                                                                                                    Where it's directly related is in so far as the root cause that's causing them to turn up on our doorstep requires an immediate solution of boots on the ground. We already have 100 times stronger justification for going into Syria and taking on IS than was there for going into Iraq. Jawing about how many refugees everyone should take and beating ourselves up about how much more intolerant other EU states are than us misses the point entirely. We simply have to stabilise the places people are fleeing from. That is the only thing that will offer a long term solution to the flow of refugees.

It is unfortunate that it may take an event like last night to actually focus minds on the real problem and proper objectives in Syria.
                                                                                                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 14-11-15, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                      There's another angle that shows him pulling and dragging out of the Garda for about a minute beforehand and trying to grab his notebook just before he gets clocked.
                                                                                                      Oh he tried to grab his notebook!! Well that obviously justifies a full body swing of a baton towards the side of his head doesn't it!!

Fucking nonsense.

Comment

...

Comment

Oh he tried to grab his notebook!! Well that obviously justifies a full body swing of a baton towards the side of his head doesn't it!!

Fucking nonsense.
                                                                                                          Paul Galvin was nearly run out of the country for the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

I think it's fairly obvious from the video that this Garda isn't in his right mind though. If this how Garda are trained to deal with this situation it paints a depressing picture to the training they receive.

Comment

...

Comment

That's so small minded and so messed up that it's hard to know where to start. You've been listening to sickpuppy a bit too much.
                                                                                                                There's nothing small minded or messed up about it at all. It's just not the default liberal opinion. I'm for tolerance of all religions; state initiated integration of multiple ethnicities and cultures; freedom of expression; etc. IS clearly are not. I'm not for one second saying that France and the west in general don't need to work on longer term integration of minorities or that we need to shut the door to refugees, etc.

However what I am saying is that we have two failed states (one of which the west destabilised) that need a solution. And the area that currently makes up the Caliphate itself needs to be met head on.

Comment

Sorry Keith, but at the end of the day the video shows the man behind him in the 30 seconds leading up to it. That man isn't pushing the Gard or threatening him in anyway. He is then lamped aggressively in the head (or at least that's the intention). The Gards safety or that of others was not in jeopardy. So fuck him and I stand by my opinion that it's an awful shame he wasn't immediately lamped in the head. Aggressive bullying deserves to be met by an equal reaction in all walks of life.
                                                                                                                  EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING in the lead up to the hit was bullying of the police by fuckwits spouting freeman shite, so they got what they deserved according to you

Fucking nonsense.
                                                                                                                  Don't law a hand on the plod unless they start on you!

Comment

Lloyd if it was shown that the protester who we can clearly see had been shoving and abusing the Guard for minutes was, in the seconds before he was hit, trying to interfere with his belt or something from it would you then agree that the Guards action was appropriate?
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

There's nothing small minded or messed up about it at all. It's just not the default liberal opinion. I'm for tolerance of all religions; state initiated integration of multiple ethnicities and cultures; freedom of expression; etc. IS clearly are not. I'm not for one second saying that France and the west in general don't need to work on longer term integration of minorities or that we need to shut the door to refugees, etc.

However what I am saying is that we have two failed states (one of which the west destabilised) that need a solution. And the area that currently makes up the Caliphate itself needs to be met head on.
                                                                                                                        Tolerance? fuck tolerance, something is either accepted/acceptable or told fuck off!

Tolerance is looking down on someone and patting them on the head saying well done with your brown skin, sexual orentation and/or weird Godhead

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X