This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dobby View Post
    Next door have their decorations up. Depressing shite.

(Not the cat people, the crazy old lady)
    Mad Madge next door has the lights up and also dropped in the christmas card last evening, wishing me all the best for the holiday season.

Comment

Gigli Concert is very good, would recommend. (they might have tweaked it a little since the last run that others here weren't too impressed with). Audience seemed to be unanimously positive.

Wasn't over til 10.40pm though, so only one for those comfortable with sitting in the same position for 3 hours. Could definitely do with a 20/30 minute chop.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

If you are a landlord, you should raise your rents asap. You would be a fool not to.

The coalition is to stop landlords from raising rents every year and will limit rises to once every two years.

Can nobody think?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            Id be interested in a prop bet.
            Ideas welcome.
            OK one more day. Bringing the missus to the big schmoke to get fucked on blue martinis and whiskey. Anyone around gimme a holler. Whiskey museum by lunchtime and Lamb Doyles until close. Just don't look at me

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
              If you are a landlord, you should raise your rents asap. You would be a fool not to.

The coalition is to stop landlords from raising rents every year and will limit rises to once every two years.

Can nobody think?
              Just got my notice of rent increase there the other day, twice as much as last year's increase obviously expecting this news. Cunce.

So basically it will cost the tenant more because landlords will just raise it up more each time.
              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                Just got my notice of rent increase there the other day, twice as much as last year's increase obviously expecting this news. Cunce.

So basically it will cost the tenant more because landlords will just raise it up more each time.
                Timeline is something like this

Start of Year
                Alan Kelly : "We need Rent Controls"
                Many Landlords : "FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK, best get sorted before they come in"
                Loads of landlords raise rents

Middle of Year
                Alan Kelly : "Look, rents are rising at a ridiculous rate, we need rent controls!"
                Other Landlords : "FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK, he really means it now, best get sorted before they come in"
                Loads more raise rents

End of Year
                Government : "Fuck sake Alan, now we actually do need to do something you idiot" - Announce very small scale rent controls, rents only allowed be increased every two years.
                All Landlords everywhere : "FUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK, actual market interference, better put the rent up now because I won't be allowed increase again for 24 months".

Dope

landlord across the way
                Originally posted by godtabh
                So this will be announced today.

Looks like I have to give notice to my current tenants that rent is going up. I've no choice now because who knows what will happen in 2 years time. I also wont be renewing their lease when it is up again. Will only be offering 12 month lease going forward.
                Last edited by Emmet; 06-11-15, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  I'd have stepped in to cover a route if they asked, I'm sure LSB would have as well. As it happens I'm on a half full train now, and got a seat for a change, so worked out well for me.
                  This has inspired me to write a sci fi book.

Blurb: Set in a near dystopian future with improved transport links, I am Tom: 2.0' [/] tells the tale of a handsome young man forced to pretend to be a robot so that he can keep working in his recently automated job and vocation: driving trains.
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Very frustrating that that was all they could come up with and nobody could see or care that it just costs tenants more.
                    airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        If travellers aren't an ethnic group then who the hell are "travellers"? It's not a Meetup group.
                        Are all the people who choose to live in Bungalows an ethnic group are these omni-levelers looking for special treatment from people who live in more vertical accommodation.

I don't think living arrangements really make you an ethnic group, if it does do all homeless people become travelers as they are choosing the same way of life? Travelers cant be an ethnic group because of race, religion or language as those make them the more Irish than most of the country.

How can you demand to be included as ordinary citizens and treated the same as everyone else on one hand and on the other be treated differently and everyone be respectful of your massive differences and the fact that you want special treatment.

Comment

woops set up a dhcp server on my switch/router in work last night and connected it to the LAN by accident. chaos ensues while I am asleep, then I get a puncture on the way in this morning, so they are still scratching their heads. So I get in and I fix it...big announcement..."everybody tar did it, jsut so you know he ruined my day, it was tar"

Comment

Comment

Does it matter one way or another if they are or are not an ethnic group. A lot if knicker handbags about it and nose thumbing.

Comment

The rent legislation is nonsense. But it will pave the way for a more aggressive move in a couple of years. Particularly if Landlords try and take the piss in response (which it seems they will).
                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Ethnic and genetic are not the same thing.

Anyway we aren't even Celts.
                                  What we call the Celtic nations of Brittany, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and Ireland are genetically and lingustically linked people who long predate the earliest Celts who were a catch all name the Romans used for the European peoples they hadn't conquered.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    Every single post here can discuss vegetarians without having to define who they are taking about. So, that certainly makes them a group.

But are they an ethnic group?

From my brief reading on it, ethnicity is a feeling by people that they belong to a particular cultural group. I.e. it is largely for the group themselves to define;
                                    That sort of lax definition and self identifying gets us no where.
                                    Your whole paragraph makes no less sense with my edit above.
                                    Last edited by Mellor; 06-11-15, 11:01.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                      The rent legislation is nonsense. But it will pave the way for a more aggressive move in a couple of years. Particularly if Landlords try and take the piss in response (which it seems they will).
                                      Such as?

Comment

Not allowing Travellers claim an ethnicity is to say that they should abandon whatever it is that they see as making themselves culturally separate and conform to mainstream Ireland.
                                        This is an important and difficult issue and will have a very significant impact in coming years.

My instinct used to be that being Irish should be broad and inclusive enough to encompass Travellers. However when you look at the way they are treated by people and hear the kind of hatred and venom directed at them then I suppose there is no choice but to afford them the protection that other ethnic groups would have.
                                        We have failed miserably to make them like us so lets see id we can improve their conditions and find better ways to reduce the harm a minority of them cause in society by allowing them to be themselves.

Comment

Heading out for a run around the banks of the Nile in downtown Cairo, if I'm not back in a few hours that probably means I was kidnapped

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                            Very frustrating that that was all they could come up with and nobody could see or care that it just costs tenants more.
                                            don't do rent controls

do do unlocking the housing market (build not credit!)
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                              To balance things out I'm afraid I'm going to have to paint a likeness of one of the horsehead elites guys on my skirting board and invite him round to see the holy apparition of himself.

( dem boys are so conceited they'll believe it)
                                              Just say it got a Michelin star and you could even charge them.
                                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                Not allowing Travellers claim an ethnicity is to say that they should abandon whatever it is that they see as making themselves culturally separate and conform to mainstream Ireland.
                                                This is an important and difficult issue and will have a very significant impact in coming years.

My instinct used to be that being Irish should be broad and inclusive enough to encompass Travellers. However when you look at the way they are treated by people and hear the kind of hatred and venom directed at them then I suppose there is no choice but to afford them the protection that other ethnic groups would have.
                                                We have failed miserably to make them like us so lets see id we can improve their conditions and find better ways to reduce the harm a minority of them cause in society by allowing them to be themselves.
                                                they can claim whatever ethnicity they like

they still have a responsibility to society to obey the laws, send their kids to school, look after the environment and respect their fellow citizens

until they start living up to their responsibilities to the rest of us, they can GTFO as far as I'm concerned - you can't play the victim card forever

Comment

Few people who have got increases lately whose landlord wasn't aware of this regulation coming in have probably benefitted, that's it.
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Such as?
                                                    Property is theft.

Comment

I want to read and email from pokerstars.fr, but as usual any links i click redirect me back to pokerstars.eu.

I don't have Hola downloaded and don't really want to mess around with my connection settings, but just want to see how these links are viewed from a French POV. Is there any websites i can plug the links into to see what they are?

Hello,

On January 1, 2016, PokerStars will be introducing a redesigned and improved VIP Club, making it even easier for you to track your progress and earn great rewards.

The most obvious change for many players will be the introduction of VIP Steps - a new way to earn VIP Club rewards - incorporating an easy-to-use progress bar that charts your path towards your next reward and the next VIP status. You can even set alerts to let you know when you’re getting close to your next VIP status level.

We are also introducing StarsCoin as a replacement for Frequent Player Points (FPPs). StarsCoin will be given to players each time they complete a Step, and can be redeemed for a wide range of items in the VIP Store including Cash Rewards.
                                                      Not sure if the changes are indentical to Pokerstars, but i haven't received the heads up email from them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                        Property is theft.
                                                        It was a serious question. What aggressive move can anyone see any Irish Government making when it comes to landlords in the coming years?

Comment

Heading out for a run around the banks of the Nile in downtown Cairo, if I'm not back in a few hours that probably means I was kidnapped
                                                          I haven't figured out the powers of BBV but I wouldn't be tempting fate.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                            So things will get even worse...

Comment

I haven't actually heard of any travellers claiming to be an separate ethic group. Only lots of people claiming it on their behalf. I'd imagine that if you were to walk on to a halting site tofay and ask the first traveller what he thought about it, but either wouldn't give a shit, or wouldn't have a clue.
                                                              And, how does not recognising them as an ethic group translate to instructing abandon and culture differences and assimilate?

Is failing recognise vegetarians as an ethnic group to say they should abandon their diet and conform to the mainstream omnivore diet like the rest of us?

Allowing them to be themselves is at the heart of the a lot of the issues tbf.

Comment

It was a serious question. What aggressive move can anyone see any Irish Government making when it comes to landlords in the coming years?
                                                                Give out to them in the press and blame them for everything. I cant blame Landlords for charging as much as they want. They didn't buy investment properties in the IFSC to give away cheap rent to people who work in Citi bank or Google.

If the Govt was to level a lot of the single story corpo houses in the city centre and remove the stupid city height restriction and change what is actually a historic building to not include everything pre 1916 and to be actually historic buildings it would be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                  I haven't figured out the powers of BBV but I wouldn't be tempting fate.
                                                                  Lol, can you imagine the gbh of the ear hole the poor kidnappers would get . They would send him back with the ransom note and we'd send him back with the money

Comment

TBh the only serious response a govt can make is to start building. None of this PPP shite. Build houses.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Was it NuckChorris who had good results at the Arnott's warehouse sale?

Another one this weekend - http://www.arnotts.ie/content/warehouse-sale/2482

Comment

...

Comment

I have 3 premium level tickets for Eire vs Bosnia available to whomever is interested, thought I'd post here first.

Section BLK321

Comment

TBh the only serious response a govt can make is to start building. None of this PPP shite. Build houses.
                                                                                  Build apartments!

Enough of this urban sprawl already

Comment

Build up you stupid fuckers!

Comment

This didn't get much attention, probably because most people could give two fucks :

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                        Build apartments!

Enough of this urban sprawl already
                                                                                        Build both. Build large apartments, not one or two bedroom 'starter' shoeboxes designed to get people onto the property ladder.

Build apartments people can live in for life.

Build duplexes and condos, and affordable semi d's.

And do it right, first time. No Priory Halls in 10 years time.

Comment

This didn't get much attention, probably because most people could give two fucks :

Watched about 10 minutes of the prime time special. What a waste of time and money.
                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

speaking of all those project manager chat:

Comment

Build both. Build large apartments, not one or two bedroom 'starter' shoeboxes designed to get people onto the property ladder.

Netherlands have it right in that every time I have been looking for accommodation there there are huge (nice!!) studio apartment blocks being built to solve their housing issues, they are built to far better standards than here and you can book to live in them before they are finished, have helped people move into apartment blocks several times while the builders are still working on the apartment block! They are all getting snapped up before completion, and it's essentially 100k rent per month per block...

Then supplement that with dearer bigger apartment blocks for people further along the ladder..

Comment

Actually this is a nice comment:

And just to put Pavee's words on what i was trying to say poorly earlier

The idea that ethnicity is something that we can debate and deem to bestow like gracious overlords is quite odious too.
                                                                                                I have to admit I already thought they had ethnic status but outside of their living arrangements I still don't really see what makes them so culturally different tbh. They eat the same, speak the same language, worship the same god, watch the same tv show, etc etc

In terms of them being massively outside the norms of Irish citizens than I would say our naturalised Indian born Hindu medics are probably much further away and probably have ethnic status but it may well not be something that has come up.

I don't really see what difference ethnic status will make to how they are perceived\treated in society but if putting a tag on them to separate them from the general population and make sure that the divide is official and enshrined in law is what they want than they should stop asking to be treated identical at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                  Watched about 10 minutes of the prime time special. What a waste of time and money.
                                                                                                  yeah I gave up too

had to be the worst-worded survey of all time

'would you like to see a united Ireland in the short-medium term?'
                                                                                                  <most people; "fuck, no">

'would you like to see a united Ireland in your lifetime?'
                                                                                                  <most people; "oh a get out of jail free card. Sure, why not?">

you might as well ask would you like to see dogs driving cars in your lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                    I don't really see what difference ethnic status will make to how they are perceived\treated in society but if putting a tag on them to separate them from the general population and make sure that the divide is official and enshrined in law is what they want than they should stop asking to be treated identical at the same time.
                                                                                                    yeah, I don't really get the whole ethnicity thing either. We live in a republic, we all have the same rights and responsibilities.

Technically, I'm a minority but I don't go around proclaiming my special status at every opportunity (only on the 12th of July and other such occasions )

Comment

Apartment blocks with garden levels, vote for me da.
                                                                                                      I'm not sure why they can't just contract polish lads to come in and build the shit at a non rip off price on land the government already owns that it keeps selling off at a massive discount.

They should either get the fuck out of the way of the market instead of NANA and shit or actually sort it out, not this sticking the tip of their mickey in and out searching for a wet spot.

Comment

yeah I gave up too

had to be the worst-worded survey of all time

'would you like to see a united Ireland in the short-medium term?'
                                                                                                        <most people; "fuck, no">

'would you like to see a united Ireland in your lifetime?'
                                                                                                        <most people; "oh a get out of jail free card. Sure, why not?">

you might as well ask would you like to see dogs driving cars in your lifetime
                                                                                                        Dogs this smart deserve a home.Every year, the SPCA need to find homes for thousands of dogs just like Porter -- dogs who have been abused, abandoned, or jus...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                            It won't make any difference but it would open up access to loads of lovely taxpayer dosh in exchange for doing nothing

Comment

speaking of all those project manager chat:

https://my.hirehive.io/britebill/job...lin?refId=5185
                                                                                                              need a job, call zod?
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

yeah, I don't really get the whole ethnicity thing either. We live in a republic, we all have the same rights and responsibilities.

Technically, I'm a minority but I don't go around proclaiming my special status at every opportunity (only on the 12th of July and other such occasions )
                                                                                                                My grandfather was in the ric. If ya ever fancy a few lines of the sash etc gimme a bell.

Comment

You probably don't have people protesting if you want to move next door to them though. And politicians actively campaigning to protect the ordinary nimby from having to see you.
                                                                                                                  if somebody can afford to buy the house next to me, that's their business

I think the idea is that ethnic status is something assigned to groups when things aren't working out, rather than for foundational members of the horsehead elite with swishy umbrellas.
                                                                                                                  rubbish

ethnicity has nothing to do with socio-economic status

Comment

...

Comment

You probably don't have people protesting if you want to move next door to them though. And politicians actively campaigning to protect the ordinary nimby from having to see you.

I think the idea is that ethnic status is something assigned to groups when things aren't working out, rather than for foundational members of the horsehead elite with swishy umbrellas.
                                                                                                                      I'm sure Raoul and his ancestors don't have a history of pitchfork and slash hook fights at weddings and especially funerals. I'm sure I'd have a reduced life expectancy if I lived in squalor in a caravan spent my spare time bare knuckle fighting sulky racing and robbing scrap metal.

Comment

...

Comment

Ethnicity indeed has nothing to do with socio-economic status, but it tends to mainly be resorted to as a designation by minority groups when things aren't working out for them.
                                                                                                                          just a thought:

maybe things "aren't working out" for travellers because they drop out of school early, get married at age 16 and choose a life of benefits over working to better themselves?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X