Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring topic, want to sign up to new bank, potentially getting mortgage in 5 years
    Any recommendations

Comment

KBC are the new comers so they seem to offer the best deals. For the moment anyway.
      Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-11-15, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
        Boring topic, want to sign up to new bank, potentially getting mortgage in 5 years
        Any recommendations
        I don't think the mortgage aspect matters. Everyone shops around now and just shows a savings record to the various banks they might take a mortgage with.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          Ah I'm in a different country sure!

Could you not just post a 'story' or a 'SWIM' if you were worried about leaking sensitive stuff?

I've read a couple of blog posts from guys who have been in courts watching these hearings get adjourned over and over again, and that 'any payment whatsoever' seems to be enough to subdue the courts when it comes to repossession orders etc.

I just can't understand how everyone doesn't become a tactical defaulter. That's exactly what is being encouraged here surely?
          May be some possible defense that can be mounted on moral grounds for the family home, the poor children and the injustice of it all.

The buy to let guys are really taking the piss however and the people who are making rental income and not paying anything back are on another level all together. Those people should either surrender their properties as if you have spent 5 years with an empty apt than you are better off just shot of it in reality.

If you are just making cash at the states and taxpayers expense than how can the courts pass up the opportunity to throw the book at them. One good round of treason trials for defrauding the state would be good for the nation.

I don't know what the current punishment for treason is since we have abolished the death penalty but I hope that we have some crazy middle ages punishment on the books from when we inherited the British legal system. Tar and Feathering followed by exile with you only allowed take whatever possessions a three legged donkey can carry or something similarly bizzare would be great.

Comment

My 40 year old cousin and family neighbour died last night of a heart attack playing 5 a side. 3 kids under the age of 14. A humble and modest guy who worked very hard to provide for his family. Makes you ponder how you're spending your limited days...

The way my Mam broke the news to me this morning I thought my brother or father was dead so for a few minutes I was actually just relieved that they weren't dead. No easy way to tell someone that kind of news.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              If I ever get a chance in person I'll tell you the reality of this at the coal face. You literally will not believe some of the stuff that goes on. Those numbers are only half the story.
              Whilst understandable, these are the most tilting of posts.
              Like a Facebook update from a stroppy girl
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The fecker doesn't even drink, it's not like you can tempt him out with a few pints either!

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                  I don't think the mortgage aspect matters. Everyone shops around now and just shows a savings record to the various banks they might take a mortgage with.
                  Thanks, any good banks to save with, and dont bend you over with fees

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Always horrible to hear stories like that V4V. The cousin of another person I know who was in pretty good shape and under 40 had a stroke recently. Life is very unfair a lot of the time.

Comment

Nowhere is good to save now unless you fancy putting a lump away for 10 years with the post office.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                          Nowhere is good to save now unless you fancy putting a lump away for 10 years with the post office.
                          The more I think it about the more I think every spare bit of loots should be stuck in the S&P 500 (rate hike be damned). Should have annual double digit growth for the rest of the century.

Comment

Mental

Why would anyone pay their mortgage?
                            Or their rent? Fuck this crooked country.
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

In five years time, the world will be your lobster (with apologies to Arthur Daley):

This would be tremendous news for buyers although in true Irish style we'd probably just build the savings into increased prices.
                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                In five years time, the world will be your lobster (with apologies to Arthur Daley):

This would be tremendous news for buyers although in true Irish style we'd probably just build the savings into increased prices.
                                Reminds me of a friend who gets his vehicle insurance from Germany, which covers him in all of Europe and is cheaper. Then when he has a problem here the AA are the German company's partners for Ireland so you get the same service. Advantage of being in the EU should be the above.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Due to how expensive our settlements for car insurance are I would wonder if any other country would actually insure our cars. Would be interesting to see anyway.

Would be happy to see the banking side myself but if I worked in AIB or BOI I would be pretty upset as you are definitely going out of business. I presume the bank guarantee is finished now so if they go under again they are gone.

Comment

My 40 year old cousin and family neighbour died last night of a heart attack playing 5 a side. 3 kids under the age of 14. A humble and modest guy who worked very hard to provide for his family. Makes you ponder how you're spending your limited days...

The way my Mam broke the news to me this morning I thought my brother or father was dead so for a few minutes I was actually just relieved that they weren't dead. No easy way to tell someone that kind of news.
                                        Was this in Carlow? My brother was playing last night with him if so.

Comment

This site http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-savings-accounts/ is decent.

Comment

Anyone have any idea what's going with Red Flag and DOB?

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                              Was this in Carlow? My brother was playing last night with him if so.
                                              Yeah. It seems he had the heart attack later in the evening after the game. Plus I forgot about their 4th child.

Comment

Bet365 doing the no risk inplay bet for Bayern/Arsenal tonight - what's the play?

Comment

Anyone have any idea what's going with Red Flag and DOB?
                                                  Something to do with this I'm guessing

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                      Thanks, but the real reason is to show I am not a maniac, Currently about 500 transactions a year going back and forth from pokersites & betting sites, this I imagine will not bode well, so I am looking to create a nice positive stable image

Comment

Comment

250k seems low tbh.

Comment

salary minus state benefits X how many years to get your youngest to 18.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                              250k seems low tbh.
                                                              It would need to be worth 7 figures imo. If the worst happened, you would need to plan on being a stay at home parent for at least five years.

Hitch, check the terms of your pension. Usually something in there.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                salary minus state benefits X how many years to get your youngest to 18.
                                                                Mortgage (if you have one) insurance usually means that will get wiped anyway.

I'd say you would want to budget getting the kids to the end of college.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      no the pension is actually atrocious - and surprisingly common under a new law in France - as far as an actuary in work told me; the pension ceases to exist if i die before 60. I.e. both my portion and my wifes portion both vanish in their entirety if i was to die at 59 years and 11 months. I've no idea how such a pension was ever allowed to be conceived. Oh for the warm protective embrace of Dublin public sector employment where you can rest happy in the knowledge that ye private sector grunts are out hard at work to pay my benefits.

Your own contributions to your own pension get wiped????????

What in the name of Fuck

Comment

Its amazing though the lengths countries will go to to protect their citizens from the benefits / savings / and common sense of a single financial market.
                                                                        Would it though?
                                                                        If overnight every bank/insurance/mortgage company become obsolete in pricing, wouldn't it have a knock on effect in unemployment, corporation tax, paye etc etc?
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

no the pension is actually atrocious - and surprisingly common under a new law in France - as far as an actuary in work told me; the pension ceases to exist if i die before 60. I.e. both my portion and my wifes portion both vanish in their entirety if i was to die at 59 years and 11 months. I've no idea how such a pension was ever allowed to be conceived. Oh for the warm protective embrace of Dublin public sector employment where you can rest happy in the knowledge that ye private sector grunts are out hard at work to pay my benefits.
                                                                          Any you have to buy an annuity at the end....

Unless they have changed that rule recently.
                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                            Can anyone explain this?
                                                                            EBS

Children's Savings Account

2.01% AER
                                                                            2.00% gross
                                                                            (variable)
                                                                            Instant access
                                                                            €1 / €5,000
                                                                            (total balance)
                                                                            Child Saver
                                                                            Lump sum saver
                                                                            Regular saver
                                                                            Internet banking

Am i right in saying if the max balance is €5k any interest earned over that is gobbled up by the bank?

Comment

It would need to be worth 7 figures imo.
                                                                              I'd say you would want to budget getting the kids to the end of college.
                                                                              Make that 8 figures so, IMO
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Given that we unfortunately are almost on the topic.

Whats a good life insurance amount?

In the Dublin job there was very good life insurance included in the overall package, but there's no life insurance here.

I spoke to a local company, and they said that as long as you are under 40 you can take out no-medical life insurance up to €250k, so i took out €60k for €12 a month. We've no debts. Was talking to a colleague in a similar life situation yesterday and he said you need way more. He pays about €50 a month for the full €250k despite his wife also being a full-time prof.

That seems a hefty monthly amount to be paying for a hopefully highly unlikely event. But then again €60k isn't much if the worse comes to the worse. But wife is finishing her PhD in about a year and should be grand with work.

Hmm, so what would be a decent life insurance figure assuming no household debts and probable ability of partner to find work relatively straightforwardly?
                                                                                I'm currently in the middle of this and am weighing up packages from Acorn Life and Irish Life.
                                                                                I'm slightly nodding towards Irish Life.
                                                                                I'm finding income protection is the absolute bitch of it.
                                                                                Am seeing how much if not all I can pay for this through the company account so
                                                                                a) never see it
                                                                                b) tax refundable.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                  I'm currently in the middle of this and am weighing up packages from Acorn Life and Irish Life.
                                                                                  I'm slightly nodding towards Irish Life.
                                                                                  I'm finding income protection is the absolute bitch of it.
                                                                                  Am seeing how much if not all I can pay for this through the company account so
                                                                                  a) never see it
                                                                                  b) tax refundable.
                                                                                  I was told when going through this process that I was 4 times more likely to get a "serious illness" than I was to die during the course of my mortgage. Food for thought....
                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

In other cheering news a colleague of mine went off on first time maternity last week, due this week. Next day she noticed the baby not kicking, scan found the baby dead . She had to wait a few days to deliver it.
                                                                                    Sigh... there aren't even words.
                                                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 04-11-15, 14:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      In other cheering news a colleague of mine went off on first time maternity last week, due this week. Next day she noticed the baby not kicking, scan found the baby dead . She had to wait a few days to deliver it.
                                                                                      Ugh, that's terrible.

Comment

In the Dublin job there was very good life insurance included in the overall package, but there's no life insurance here.

I spoke to a local company, and they said that as long as you are under 40 you can take out no-medical life insurance up to €250k, so i took out €60k for €12 a month. We've no debts. Was talking to a colleague in a similar life situation yesterday and he said you need way more. He pays about €50 a month for the full €250k despite his wife also being a full-time prof.

That seems a hefty monthly amount to be paying for a hopefully highly unlikely event. But then again €60k isn't much if the worse comes to the worse. But wife is finishing her PhD in about a year and should be grand with work.

Hmm, so what would be a decent life insurance figure assuming no household debts and probable ability of partner to find work relatively straightforwardly?
                                                                                        Look at it this way Hitch, if I die as a single dude my cat is going to get €250k and go to a better school than your children.

Comment

...

Comment

database errors using the search function????

Any of the theatre goers see Gigli Concert at the Gate? Good?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Thanks, but the real reason is to show I am not a maniac, Currently about 500 transactions a year going back and forth from pokersites & betting sites, this I imagine will not bode well, so I am looking to create a nice positive stable image
                                                                                                  Depends if you are winning. Show them your graph.

Make that 8 figures so, IMO
                                                                                                  Brag.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                  Can anyone explain this?
                                                                                                  EBS

Children's Savings Account

2.01% AER
                                                                                                  2.00% gross
                                                                                                  (variable)
                                                                                                  Instant access
                                                                                                  €1 / €5,000
                                                                                                  (total balance)
                                                                                                  Child Saver
                                                                                                  Lump sum saver
                                                                                                  Regular saver
                                                                                                  Internet banking

Am i right in saying if the max balance is €5k any interest earned over that is gobbled up by the bank?
                                                                                                  'Membership certificate, Passbook, Money Box, Birthday Card and a €25 bonus payment are available' - ship ship.

Perhaps someone in the know can inform of us if there is any benefit of a child account beyond getting a sweet ass money box and birthday cards...

If you are willing/planning to kick in 100e a month, you can get 3% in a regular savings account that isn't kids themed:

Or stick it regularly on the S&P and rub the extra loots on your titties in 18 years time - all going well. If it goes terribly - it wasn't meant to be (College fund?).

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    Look at it this way Hitch, if I die as a single dude my cat is going to get €250k and go to a better school than your children.
                                                                                                    I'd be willing to be custodian of your cat/s, they will need help converting 250k paper money into dreamies and lazer point lights to chase. I believe I can be that human.

Comment

That is just so awful. I can't imagine how hard that was for the couple. To get all that way for her to lose it so close to delivery. Totally heartbreaking

I was a complete worry wart when pregnant and it was horrible when you got no movement. My eldest hadn't moved all day and went in the next day to see she was sleeping on my bladder. I really thought the worst. She didn't move for a further 2 days.

@V4V - So sorry to hear about your cousin. You hear about this all to often these days

Comment

some truly heart-rending stories in here today. As Dom said life can be so hard at times.

Brendan O'Connor wrote a wonderful article (imo) in the indo about the death of that little boy by a drunk driver. One line struck me the most. He said the boy continually played the team song from Frozen or some such film and that it must have grated on the fathers nerves. Now he would give anything just to hear him play it one more time.

Course its human nature not to think of the bigger picture when we give out about the most pettiest of things but its something we really should try to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Can't help but wonder if your risk of dying prematurely has increased (if even slighty) with this prudent move. And continue to increase (albeit slightly) with each increase you make to your policy.

21 gruesome murders for hire! Does life insurance cover someone if they're murdered? What if the beneficiary of a policy is a suspect?

Obviously I'm pulling for you though. And it seems moving to France was a deft touch, you are sorted till 59 - unless legislation changes.

More chance Tar's cat turns on him though tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            That is just so awful. I can't imagine how hard that was for the couple. To get all that way for her to lose it so close to delivery. Totally heartbreaking

I was a complete worry wart when pregnant and it was horrible when you got no movement. My eldest hadn't moved all day and went in the next day to see she was sleeping on my bladder. I really thought the worst. She didn't move for a further 2 days.

@V4V - So sorry to hear about your cousin. You hear about this all to often these days
                                                                                                            You must have been worried sick. Can't imagine.

We waited a long long time for our little lad. At 13 weeks my wife got a bleed (fairly substantial) and we rushed in to the Coombe. Obv we feared the worst. The nurse was great and rushed us in for a scan and immediately said "that's the heartbeat". Wife, me, 2 nurses in tears. I can honestly say I didn't get a proper nights sleep for the remaining 6 months. Anytime my wife got up to use the toilet etc I was on tenterhooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                              I'd be willing to be custodian of your cat/s, they will need help converting 250k paper money into dreamies and lazer point lights to chase. I believe I can be that human.
                                                                                                              You know what dreamies are, the cat says you are hired and there will be dreamies in it for you too.
                                                                                                              Can't help but wonder if your risk of dying prematurely has increased (if even slighty) with this prudent move. And continue to increase (albeit slightly) with each increase you make to your policy.

21 gruesome murders for hire! Does life insurance cover someone if they're murdered? What if the beneficiary of a policy is a suspect?

Obviously I'm pulling for you though. And it seems moving to France was a deft touch, you are sorted till 59 - unless legislation changes.

More chance Tar's cat turns on him though tbf.
                                                                                                              Never tell your loved ones of such a policy, you are wise.

Comment

Fair play Shardon

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is there any compelling reason for me to turn up for this free student careers web summit thing this evening? I can't really imagine any sort of utility I will gain.

I imagine it will be a packed kip (RDS), wedged with youths agog, whooting and hollering in amazement while suit whom they've never heard of (but they no know is a big deal) talks at them.

Lecturers and fellow students keep saying 'oh you should definitely go along!', I'm unconvinced.
                                                                                                                Also my distaste for crowds, the rds and the owners coming off as Grade A geebags isn't swaying me to pop along, even if it is directly on my bus route.

I'm off to Woodies to get a dimmer switch.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 04-11-15, 15:14.

Comment

Fair play Shardon

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Is there any compelling reason for me to turn up for this free student careers web summit thing this evening? I can't really imagine any sort of utility I will gain.

I imagine it will be a packed kip (RDS), wedged with youths agog, whooting and hollering in amazement while suit whom they've never heard of (but they no know is a big deal) talks at them.

Lecturers and fellow students keep saying 'oh you should definitely go along!', I'm unconvinced.
                                                                                                                  Also my distaste for crowds, the rds and the owners coming off as Grade A geebags isn't swaying me to pop along, even if it is directly on my bus route.

It'll be a pile of me hole I'd say.

Comment

Fair play Shardon

If you fancy going down taking a quick walk, around, get annoyed and spend 15 quid on a sandwich before heading for a few pints with your classmates then ya.

If you are hoping to be "inspired to become the next global trend" than just apply for Google and LinkedIn's grad program and be done with it.

I don't really get people who go to events like these without a goal as to what they want to get out of it. Just going for a random walk around events like these sounds a lot like window shopping - all the annoyance for none of the point.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                                      I was told when going through this process that I was 4 times more likely to get a "serious illness" than I was to die during the course of my mortgage. Food for thought....
                                                                                                                      Oh yeah well it's life assurance and critical illness by default.

Comment

Fucking Heathrow and fucking B fucking A

Fucking fuckers

Comment

Complete personal finances retard here, does anyone know any sites/books for being better with your finances? What sort of savings you should aim to have etc. As I said completely oblivious to this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X