X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say it isn't so.....

Bacon, sausages and ham rank alongside smoking as cancer causes, says WHO
    UN health body says cured and processed meats are among top five most carcinogenic substances along with cigarettes, alcohol, asbestos and arsenic

UN health body says bacon, sausages and ham among most carcinogenic substances along with cigarettes, alcohol, asbestos and arsenic
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
      SP I've always been curious, what do you do? Something to do with ATM software is it? You seem to do lots of travelling to far flung corners of the earth!
      Software developer we do a full channel management solution and provide most of the channels alongside. Our team does the client that sits on the ATM. Our markets are mainly in Africa, Middle East, Asia and Australasia excluding Aus / NZ.
      A few years ago I spent a lot of the time on the road firefighting problems on a product that was having all sorts of growing pains but thats very rare now on our corner of the product anyway so these days most of the travel I do is in Sales Support going out and doing live demos etc. We have a pre sales team but to install and run in a hurry on an unknown model of ATM still takes a fair bit of high wire walking.

It also needs the fucking thing to be here... Sigh, still no sign and because we are getting a lend of it from a good customer to help us sell to their competitors I'm not allowed jump up and down and shout at people FFS
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

OK, order put in at vinatis for 12 bottles of plonk for just under 120 including delivery. That's the next few months of wine drinking sorted for us anyhow.

Comment

Good luck to Mickste and im sure IonaPaul unless its a namesake 40 left in ipo 50 odd k up top.
          Two of the nicer lads to share a table with.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Spent two weeks planning a job in Lagos so that I could get what normally takes two days done in one.
            Laid out everything that needed to happen and who needed to be where when.
            So machine was to be in Hotel last night and a guy I might need on standby here with me this morning.
            All confirmed weeks ago and re confirmed on Friday.

Landed about 4AM and it took half as long to get the 10 miles from the airport to the hotel as it did to fly from London. Been sitting here for hours, no one knows where the ATM is and the standby guy flew up to the North of the country last night.

Standard
            AWA
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

So I took a tactical life decision this morning and agreed to accompany the Significantly Better Half to "Mind, Body, Spirit and Yoga" in the RDS this morning. Tried a soft "but with the marathon going on we would struggle to get anywhere near" but this wasn't working so bailed out and decided going with the flow had long term brownie point implications.

Sitting in the coffee area now while she chats to some yoga instructor types. I am under strict instructions to keep my views on psychics (frauds) and tarot card readers (frauds) and reiki masters (bullshit artists of the highest order) and faith healers (frauds) to myself. Doing a sterling job so far. Just about. One woman offered me an information leaflet about Alphamusic and I was immediately hauled away by Herself when she realized I made no promises about Alphamusic just as I asked, with a huge grin, what exactly Alphamusic was.

Gonna parlay this into a couple of nights out with the lads minimum. Genuine through the looking glass shit going on down here. There's a fella doing "Atlasevolution" who appears to be shaking a woman vigorously and then waving an ultraviolet torch over her.

Ah, and some punter on the stage just started playing the panpipes. My bullshit bingo card just filled up!
              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  A friend from a cancer institute (Dana Farber Cancer Institute) told me this was going to be announced this year, AFAIK this has been the stance of all cancer institutes for years and the WHO are finally making it official for themselves (with red meat climbing up as well to the second most dangerous level as they do further research).
                  Their own cancer reports ahve said it for many years.

Saying it is the same risk as smoking is a bit much imo, just means it's the same category, as in the evidence is as strong as the evidence that says smoking is carcinogenic.
                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-10-15, 12:29.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Creeping towards the 5k in the running. Well it was 4.6km yesterday. That took 26mins. The internet tells me sub-24 is a decent 5k effort. Would that be about right?
                      For a man of your age and considering your lifestyle excellent.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I reckon this is some kind of Vegan conspiracy, not fooling me

Comment

Creeping towards the 5k in the running. Well it was 4.6km yesterday. That took 26mins. The internet tells me sub-24 is a decent 5k effort. Would that be about right?
                              Don't compare yourself to others, just keep beating yourself. Some people I know do it in 30 mins some do it in 15-17.

Comment

Comment

A wine question: Over the last three days I've had white wines from three different Loire regions:

Anjou : very similar to Saumur wine (Raoul?) : bit bland initially but kicked off about half way through the bottle

Coteaux de Giennois : a sauvignon blanc (maybe all these wines are sauvignon, who knows) : kinda tasted like nothing, just regular wine

Pouilly-Fume : very nice. the closest to a decent taste, but still not quite there. Seemed to lack an element of sweetness. Although don't want overwhelming sweetness in a glass either.

With those limited clues in mind, what's my next step? This article seems to suggest that Sancerre is the way to go.
                                  Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume are Sauvignon Blancs. Most other Loire whites will be Chenin until you get near the sea and Muscadet starts to predominate. Vouvray is also worth a try for something different (Viognier -very perfumed wine). You can also get plenty of sweet Loire whites and of course loads of sparkling Cremant. Huge variety is the name of the game.

My advice is try it all and see what you like.

Comment

Comment

But then there's no 'this is a good time' 'this is a bad time' distinction. Thats anarachy dude. I want a 'oh you're good, you're sub-XX min' badge of approval. Although admittedly the internet did say what you said a lot when I went searching on the topic.
                                      Yeah this is wimp talk, how can you look at yourself in the mirror without a sub 24, get back out there and earn that badge!

You only started not so long ago, doing pretty great.

Comment

Comment

Excellent! Will give a Sancerre, Muscadet, Vouvray a go in the next iteration of ClassyWino2015.

Must read a book that Mike on here got me (Oz Clarke on Wine), as don't even know whats a grape and whats a region.
                                          Just take a sniff and say 'mmmm, interesting bouquet'. Then swig. Repeatedly.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume are Sauvignon Blancs. Most other Loire whites will be Chenin until you get near the sea and Muscadet starts to predominate. Vouvray is also worth a try for something different (Viognier -very perfumed wine). You can also get plenty of sweet Loire whites and of course loads of sparkling Cremant. Huge variety is the name of the game.

My advice is try it all and see what you like.
                                              Also lookout for small regional wines like Quincy and Menetou-Salon. Both are sauvignon blanc, quite close to the Sancerre region. Fruity and crisp. Really delicious!!

Comment

But then there's no 'this is a good time' 'this is a bad time' distinction. Thats anarachy dude. I want a 'oh you're good, you're sub-XX min' badge of approval. Although admittedly the internet did say what you said a lot when I went searching on the topic.
                                                Theres various age grade calculators, where you can enter age and time and see how it compares to average. So a 5K time of 27:00 for a 37 year old (my guess at your age) would score ~50%, i.e, an acceptably average time.

Comment

Comment

Here is what I ordered from the wine people. I know almost nothing about wine so my choice was dictated by:

a. Neither of us particularly like red wine (yes, I know, philistines).
                                                    b. The missus says she doesn't like Chardonnay, although I remain sceptical that she could tell if she didn't see the label. Some of the below might be these in my ignorance though.
                                                    c. Decided to get a bottle of Rose that she occasionally likes, a sparkly one, and a more expensive bottle as well (not exactly mad expensive though, but an outlier from my other choices).
                                                    d. I rarely drink much wine either, but will quaff some of this.

Anyone less ignorant than me let me know if this is a laughable selection or should be ok?

CREMANT D'ALSACE - DOMAINE DU MOULIN DE DUSENBACH 1 5,90 € 5,90 €
                                                    REUILLY 2013 - JM SORBE 2 9,90 € 19,80 €
                                                    SAUTERNES 2011 - RESERVE MOUTON CADET - BARON PHILIPPE DE ROTHSCHILD 1 21,90 € 21,90 €
                                                    SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 LES FUMÉES BLANCHES RESERVE - FRANÇOIS LURTON 6 6,97 € 41,82 €
                                                    TRADITION ROSE 2014 - DOMAINE DE VALDITION 1 7,80 € 7,80 €
                                                    VIOGNIER 2014 - MARIUS - MICHEL CHAPOUTIER 1 6,90 € 6,90 €

Comment

I applied for the passport card thing a few weeks back and after over 2 weeks got an email to say it had been rejected due to a shine in the background, so I gritted my teeth in annoyance but applied again with a less shiny background on Thursday. Just checked the status there and it was processed, printed and posted on Friday. That was unexpected I have to say.

Comment

The Sauternes is an interesting choice 5star. That will be very sweet.

Comment

The Sauternes is an interesting choice 5star. That will be very sweet.
                                                          It was a choice made in ignorance, like all the others. At least I only ordered one bottle of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                            Here is what I ordered from the wine people. I know almost nothing about wine so my choice was dictated by:

a. Neither of us particularly like red wine (yes, I know, philistines).
                                                            b. The missus says she doesn't like Chardonnay, although I remain sceptical that she could tell if she didn't see the label. Some of the below might be these in my ignorance though.
                                                            c. Decided to get a bottle of Rose that she occasionally likes, a sparkly one, and a more expensive bottle as well (not exactly mad expensive though, but an outlier from my other choices).
                                                            d. I rarely drink much wine either, but will quaff some of this.

Anyone less ignorant than me let me know if this is a laughable selection or should be ok?

CREMANT D'ALSACE - DOMAINE DU MOULIN DE DUSENBACH 1 5,90 € 5,90 €
                                                            REUILLY 2013 - JM SORBE 2 9,90 € 19,80 €
                                                            SAUTERNES 2011 - RESERVE MOUTON CADET - BARON PHILIPPE DE ROTHSCHILD 1 21,90 € 21,90 €
                                                            SAUVIGNON BLANC 2014 LES FUMÉES BLANCHES RESERVE - FRANÇOIS LURTON 6 6,97 € 41,82 €
                                                            TRADITION ROSE 2014 - DOMAINE DE VALDITION 1 7,80 € 7,80 €
                                                            VIOGNIER 2014 - MARIUS - MICHEL CHAPOUTIER 1 6,90 € 6,90 €
                                                            nice ecclectic selection. cremant d'alsace is lovely. could've maybe bought a nicer (less risky) sauvignon blanc though.

re the Sauternes, better get some foie gras to go with it. it's a glass wine not a bottle wine, which i imagine you know?

Comment

I applied for the passport card thing a few weeks back and after over 2 weeks got an email to say it had been rejected due to a shine in the background, so I gritted my teeth in annoyance but applied again with a less shiny background on Thursday. Just checked the status there and it was processed, printed and posted on Friday. That was unexpected I have to say.
                                                              Its silly they dont use your passport photo which must be on file, seriously open to abuse i would guess.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                nice ecclectic selection. cremant d'alsace is lovely. could've maybe bought a nicer (less risky) sauvignon blanc though.

re the Sauternes, better get some foie gras to go with it. it's a glass wine not a bottle wine, which i imagine you know?
                                                                lol

I know as much about wine as you did about GAA when you first moved to Ireland I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                  Its silly they dont use your passport photo which must be on file, seriously open to abuse i would guess.
                                                                  You'd think it would make sense. The fact that the cards are only valid for 5 years though is odd as well. The online photo validator for the card though is pretty hard to get something through, and even then no guarantee as I found out.

Comment

lol

I know as much about wine as you did about GAA when you first moved to Ireland I'd imagine.
                                                                    ah cool. It's a delicious wine but you really only have a glass of it, as it's sickly sweet. You generally serve it with foie gras or certain cheeses or desserts.

Basically you're not going to just crack open a bottle of sauternes and have a few glasses on a friday night.

FWIW, i still know fuck all about GAA!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      Good luck to Mickste and im sure IonaPaul unless its a namesake 40 left in ipo 50 odd k up top.
                                                                      Flushdraw playing EPT Malta today with a few other Irish. Hope it goes well for him.

Comment

Comment

I don't get to see countdown very often these days, but the contestants on it today are awful, especially the woman. The latest numbers game was:

100, 25, 9, 7, 3, 2 and the target was 763

The dude struggled through before getting the easy solution at the end, but the woman didn't even get within 10 points. Disgracefully stupid, and their letters aren't much better. The man has already won 4 games somehow.

Comment

Mickste up to 2/24 in the IPO and ionapaul 10th. Gogogo

Comment

I was on Pauls table the first day at dinner break kept saying i loved my table.
                                                                              Lots of chips chatty fun and loose.
                                                                              Got the kings utg 3 bet by the great ektor flatted get it on on turn he has aces .

Comment

Chippie now his famous stare must have them sideways.

Comment

Chippie now his famous stare must have them sideways.
                                                                                  Nearly time to get a rail singing "Don't stop Mick Stevens".

Comment

Nearly time to get a rail singing "Don't stop Mick Stevens".
                                                                                    Except that would be the wrong song

Comment

Except that would be the wrong song
                                                                                      My memory must be deserting me then. No surprise really.

Edit: It's Don't Bluff Mick Stephens isn't it?

Damn.

Comment

My memory must be deserting me then. No surprise really.

Edit: It's Don't Bluff Mick Stephens isn't it?

Damn.
                                                                                        I am his only rail. He deserves better. Come down

Comment

Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                          I'm not in the mood for a sober rail at the minute (no drinking today), but I hope Mick and Paul chop it heads up.

I'm sure a few will appear for the final table. Is the final table on today or just playing down to 9 like the last few years?

Comment

A long sentence . then a small one
                                                                                            Bank Holidays should be spent lazing on the floor with various foodstuff debris lying around you as you enjoy a good movie, and NOT sitting in a huge traffic jam into Dundrum Shopping center, followed by many battles with toddler to save him from death by escalator as he darts towards them when in sight, followed later by huge queue for a sardine packed Mcdonalds , followed by toddler projectile vomiting and scattering horsehead elite types followed traffic jam to get back out of the place. The vomiting was at least amusing considering surroundings.

Comment

I'm not in the mood for a sober rail at the minute (no drinking today), but I hope Mick and Paul chop it heads up.

I'm sure a few will appear for the final table. Is the final table on today or just playing down to 9 like the last few years?
                                                                                              Playing it out today and to be fair i was being selfish. Just needed someone to drink with as railing poker is beyond boring.
                                                                                              Last edited by Hatedajacks; 26-10-15, 15:21.

Comment

Goodluck to the people playing ionapaul and mickste. Blood out of a pair of stones there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatedajacks View Post
                                                                                                  About to double the rail

Comment

Hope a few foreign lads try to run some big bluffs on Mick at the final table.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    A friend from a cancer institute (Dana Farber Cancer Institute) told me this was going to be announced this year, AFAIK this has been the stance of all cancer institutes for years and the WHO are finally making it official for themselves (with red meat climbing up as well to the second most dangerous level as they do further research).
                                                                                                    Their own cancer reports ahve said it for many years.

Saying it is the same risk as smoking is a bit much imo, just means it's the same category, as in the evidence is as strong as the evidence that says smoking is carcinogenic.
                                                                                                    ffs, I've stopped eating chicken. I'm not a huge pig eater. Now red meat too? What next tar, what next. Pass the soylent green please.

This is a shockingly turgid read, for anyone who was thinking of buying and hasn't yet pulled the trigger. Didn't realise it was possible for Bryson to write anything bad. The first 20% of book is: so i took the train to XXX shitty village and walked around, then i took the train to... Its like someone writing about them taking the 46a to work except in painful detail over a few hundred pages.

AVOID!
                                                                                                    That could be me. /gets pencil and paper out.

btw Raoul your Rubio bet looks like its on course to make people dough. The only close 'normal', Jeb, having to fire people from his team to save cash.
                                                                                                    Jeb just seems a lame duck.

YKTR
                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I'll often listen to the same song hundreds of times within a short period of time (over days and weeks). Am I alone in this? Really only listening to about 3 or 4 songs lately.

Currently on the shortlist:

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

The Walking Dead Episode 3.

SPOILER

Holy Shit!

Comment

paging satnav

[img=http://s17.postimg.org/e6mt8al0b/Satnav.jpg]

Comment

The Walking Dead Episode 3.

SPOILER

Holy Shit!
                                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                                            SUCH BULLSHIT - I'm so annoyed.

On the other hand, it seems Rick and Carol are the only ones who really get it... compassion is for old humans in the old world.
                                                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

This. A thousand times this.

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                                Would u believe got 22 lovely injections into the face last Friday, everywhere
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                  Would u believe got 22 lovely injections into the face last Friday, everywhere
                                                                                                                  You looked so different , I wasn't sure if it was you in Port Laoise s.c.

Comment

How are Mick and Paul getting on, there isn't a live stream or anything like that is there?
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                      How are Mick and Paul getting on, there isn't a live stream or anything like that is there?
                                                                                                                      Paul out in 15th. Mick still in. No live stream but updates here

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                                                          You looked so different , I wasn't sure if it was you in Port Laoise s.c.
                                                                                                                          Were u in there today?
                                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X