Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes on Shares

Hi folks,

i'm originally from the EU-main land, but live since over two years in Ireland. i don't play poker professionally and i used the search function about winnings and taxes (found the threads from the french guy).

anyway, i wanted to be careful, so here's my silly question: when i've bought some action and the guy won money for me, do i have to pay taxes on that winnings?

no

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      no
      really? i wouldn't have thought it's that clear cut (if everything is on the books). You are essentially making an investment i would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
        really? i wouldn't have thought it's that clear cut (if everything is on the books). You are essentially making an investment i would have thought.
        Do lottery winners (part of syndicates) pay tax on winnings?

It's the same here surely.

Comment

Proceeds from gambling are tax-free.

Profits from investment disposals are subject to capital gains tax. Dividends from investments are subject to Income Tax.

Its still ambiguous as the whether 'investing' in gambling is taxable imo. However, its not really an issue if the amount (of gain) we are talking about is below the annual CGT threshold allowance before tax is due to be paid which is €1,270

If you are talking about larger sums of cash it would be best to talk to a professional advisor.

Comment

Do lottery winners (part of syndicates) pay tax on winnings?

It's the same here surely.
            pooling money for gambling/lottery syndicates is different imo.

Do staking companies pay taxes on their winnings? pretty sure they do.

Comment

no
              It's nowhere near as clear cut as that.

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPiper View Post
                Proceeds from gambling are tax-free.

Profits from investment disposals are subject to capital gains tax. Dividends from investments are subject to Income Tax.

Its still ambiguous as the whether 'investing' in gambling is taxable imo. However, its not really an issue if the amount (of gain) we are talking about is below the annual CGT threshold allowance before tax is due to be paid which is €1,270

If you are talking about larger sums of cash it would be best to talk to a professional advisor.
                pretty much my point. this, in my mind is an investment. I imagine if he's asking the question, it's because of a sizeable score. if it was just a few grand it would most likely end up as cash in hand.

Comment

okay, thanks for the answers so far, i'll try to find an 'expert' in taxes ... hope there's someone in town

Comment

pretty much my point. this, in my mind is an investment. I imagine if he's asking the question, it's because of a sizeable score. if it was just a few grand it would most likely end up as cash in hand.
                    You would have an argument if he could write off staking losses against gains on stocks, shares and property. In that case Mick the Lip would have done a roaring trade during the boom just by writing receipts!! Since that isn't the case I'd be stunned if it was argued as taxable by the Revenue.

Lottery ticket syndicates are a formal staking/sharing arrangement and not subject to tax but if I win the lotto and gift somebody funds that is subject to CAT. Hence almost every winner is a syndicate not an individual when they draw down the lottery payment.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Picturing the €2 Quickpick with 10 Winners :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X