Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you asked everyone in the country, it would be a landslide Yes.

The 'militants' on the no side vastly outnumber the 'militants' on the yes imo. And there's a general apathy towards the Yes side from the 'general yes' population. There'll be 3 "would have voted yes if I'd bothered to vote" for every 1 "no". This is due to a number of things, one of the perverse ones being that people are so comfortable with the idea of SSM that it doesn't seem urgent to get out and make sure it happens.

The Yes campaign will win the vote by a margin if they manage to mobilise numbers, however, the unders No bet is looking kind of juicy as it's more about the actual turnout on the day as opposed to general feeling.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
          If you asked everyone in the country, it would be a landslide Yes.

The 'militants' on the no side vastly outnumber the 'militants' on the yes imo. And there's a general apathy towards the Yes side from the 'general yes' population. There'll be 3 "would have voted yes if I'd bothered to vote" for every 1 "no".

The Yes campaign will win the vote by a margin if they manage to mobilise numbers, however, the unders No bet is looking kind of juicy as it's more about the actual turnout on the day as opposed to general feeling.
          Is that based on any sort of fact?
          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Okay. Just got contacted by Duncan Stewart to appear on EcoEye
            Can you get me on? Doing some good stuff in renewable energy atm!

Comment

just finished american sniper. really enjoyed it tbh, Eastwood does a fantastic job filming war scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                Is that based on any sort of fact?
                See the acroynm at the end of the bolded sentence.

But in a less sarky reply, consider the numbers of Church going members of the public of voting age who don't miss a vote, especially those from the more 'traditional times', consider Donegal, consider the ridiculous notion that people are going to vote no as a protest v government.
                Last edited by Emmet; 07-01-15, 15:52.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    I'm considering voting no to the marriage equality referendum just to annoy zod.
                    I am totally on for a version of this. How about we threaten Zod that if he doesn't vote no then 5 of us will vote no instead of yes? I will volunteer 100% to be one of those people.

Comment

Amazing how bad you feel if you eat something unhealthy after eating healthy for ages. I eat a biscuit and I can instantly feel my body going, wtf man, this is bad shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        But have you written a report that Duncan fcking Stewart has read?!
                        Does he subscribe to 'Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells'? If not, then no.

He's kind of annoying tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                          just finished american sniper. really enjoyed it tbh, Eastwood does a fantastic job filming war scenes.
                          Sick 4pm midweek brag
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                            Sick 4pm midweek brag
                            livin' the dream

Comment

I can’t help but think that there is a swathe of older, less accepting people in Ireland who would not speak out publicly against same sex marriage, but privately would be dead against the concept and will vote No when it comes to it. I hope I am wrong but I would not be at all surprised.

Comment

My own very limited experience to the NO campaign for SSM.

1. People are idiots.
                                2. For some fucked up reason, ignorance ? The Church ? people associate gay men with pedophiles, any time i see this link being formed or expressed by an idiot i will slap them down straight away, they don't deserve to vote on it imo. several idiots have said the reason the would be voting no was because then "they" can adopt children...makes my fuckin blood boil.
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Aftertiming.
                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                          Aftertiming.
                                          aoibhinn ní shúilleabháin has the better science program anyway...and she's on the rebound!

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                            Did she wear a Black Shirt to your 40th?
                                            Yep, that's her Ciaran.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                              Yep, that's her Ciaran.
                                              I wouldnt mind going on that Hen... If you know what I mean ... Wink Wink Nudge Nudge....

EDIT: Obviously I mean that in the nicest possible way
                                              Last edited by Megatron; 07-01-15, 16:33.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                My own very limited experience to the NO campaign for SSM.

1. People are idiots.
                                                2. For some fucked up reason, ignorance ? The Church ? people associate gay men with pedophiles, any time i see this link being formed or expressed by an idiot i will slap them down straight away, they don't deserve to vote on it imo. several idiots have said the reason the would be voting no was because then "they" can adopt children...makes my fuckin blood boil.
                                                3. People are reluctant to change their viewpoint, even in the face of overwhelming evidence and will resort to 'well I just don't like it' as an internally acceptable conclusion.

*source: numerous logical blackholes with family & friends.
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Looking at the results of the last 12 Referendums below and very few get over 70% Approval and even though it was 13 years ago the abolishment of the death penalty only got a 62% Yes vote. I would imaging that a high % of people over 60 would vote no and tend to have a higher turnout from this age group that others. The high yes % in the major cities will carry the yes but getting close to 70% will not happen imo.

Yes/No %
                                                  58/42 Children
                                                  60/40 Fiscal Treaty
                                                  80/20 Judges Pay
                                                  47/53 Oireachtas Inquires
                                                  67/33 Lisbon 2
                                                  47/53 Lisbon 1
                                                  79/21 Irish Citizenship
                                                  63/37 Nice 2
                                                  49/51 Protection of Human Life In Pregnancy
                                                  62/38 Abolition of Death Penalty
                                                  64/36 23rd Amendment International Criminal Court
                                                  46/54 Nice 1
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post

Understatement of the day... No matter how good the content every time they cut to him with that blank expression and the head going up and down like a nodding dog car ornament I just want to burn coal!
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Vodafone.co.uk doing a decent deal on S5 and HTC M8. Maybe it was posted before.

Combine with £8ish unlock code and Parcel Motel and you get a super phone sim free.

Comment

There is a lot of younger people out there against it who keep their mouths shut lest they get called a bigot, they are out there. (i heard a version of they'll want to marry animals next a few weeks ago)They will vote no on the day and it will be close. ( just to reiterate I'm voting yes)

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                              I am totally on for a version of this. How about we threaten Zod that if he doesn't vote no then 5 of us will vote no instead of yes? I will volunteer 100% to be one of those people.
                                                              Ah heyor.
                                                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Voting no.

#SSMitsagainstzod

Comment

Can somone give me the name of those cool places in Canada please. Think Zutrooy may have said it was his fave place. Was a convo last month that I can't seem to find.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                    Can somone give me the name of those cool places in Canada please. Think Zutrooy may have said it was his fave place. Was a convo last month that I can't seem to find.
                                                                    Banff.
                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                      Banff.
                                                                      Sweet, that's the one, thanks man.

Comment

I want to see a long term weather forecast before deciding on how close the referendum will go.

The no,side will turn out in hurricanes or blizzards while a small potential for rain or a cold breeze will keep the lethargic yes vote from bothering there holes as we will presume it will pass either way as its logical.

sadly I know that if its a shitty day I would put off heading to the polling station and then when it's getting late just go fuck it I'm sure it will go through anyway.

Our population is more in favour of killing the unborn than the convicted murderers. Nowto figure out who to insense with my twisting of totally unrelated figures.

Comment

So where do we put the line on the the other upcoming referendum, changing to voting age in Presidential Elections to 16. Not nearly as interesting obvs.
                                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                            Our population is more in favour of killing the unborn than the convicted murderers. Nowto figure out who to insense with my twisting of totally unrelated figures.
                                                                            try the Staking forum.
                                                                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Our population is more in favour of killing the unborn than the convicted murderers.
                                                                              Seems fair enough tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                So where do we put the line on the the other upcoming referendum, changing to voting age in Presidential Elections to 16. Not nearly as interesting obvs.
                                                                                They should change it so people can become president from age 16.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                  They should change it so people can become president from age 16.
                                                                                  Only if they are in transition year tho as the leaving cert cycle is busy enough without adding the expectations of a presidential campaign on top.

Comment

Ire vs Eng 6N on the 1st of March? Wednesday?
                                                                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I hope Irish news outlets run with the cartoons tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope.

The following is taken from this thread currently on Reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comm...e_centre_just/

Originally posted by /u/Pleascah
                                                                                      As a journalist I feel it is incumbent on my profession to educate the Irish public on just what constitutes grounds for murder by Islamic fundamentalists. I feel we have an obligation to publish these cartoons so that you all know exactly where the line is drawn and so help you avoid it. But of course that won't happen.
                                                                                      Instead in a sickening display of spineless click-bait we will broadcast the last moments of a terrified, badly injured policeman executed on the street. Images of bloodied and half naked journalists loaded into ambulances. Strutting thugs resplendent in body armour and hidden behind balaclavas. Blood spatters and shot up squad cars are somehow the more acceptable option for public consumption than a CARTOON! It makes me want to vomit.
                                                                                      These cartoons are available online. In fact other threads on Reddit have linked to them. I urge you to find them, to propagate them. To say that no longer will we allow lunatics dictate the limits of our expression. That every attack will result in greater exposure for that which they try to stifle. People were murdered today in an attempt to stifle and ultimately destroy the secular freedom we take for granted. We should not allow this erosion continue.
                                                                                      The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                        Ire vs Eng 6N on the 1st of March? Wednesday?
                                                                                        1st of March is a Sunday.

Comment

Should UPC 50meg not be better than this on wireless?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Depends on numerous factors but yeah you would expect it to be. As a comparison this is what I'm currently getting on 200mb UPC wifi. Try a test on ethernet and see what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Exactly, same with Seanad vote, had everyone been forced to vote for that, it would have been abolished in an absolute landslide. Voter apathy and the perception that yes is a a certainty are the major obstacles the yes campaign has to overcome. It'll be close imo and wouldn't be at all surprised to see No win.

Comment

a cousin of mine wants me to get him something in Halfords and post it to Scotland, what bank info do I give him. he wants to transfer money to my bank acc. Iban bic? do I give a swift code yoke as well?

how long will that take to go through, is pay pal quicker?
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

New soap/drama Red Rock starts on TV3 tonight, I know I'm deluded in thinking it will be decent but 2% of me holds out hope that we have turned a corner in our production values in Ireland.

This is a commercial I just finished for RedRock, Ireland's first new soap in 20 years. Starts Jan 7.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Mickey Rosa; 07-01-15, 20:00. Reason: Included the trailer

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                    a cousin of mine wants me to get him something in Halfords and post it to Scotland, what bank info do I give him. he wants to transfer money to my bank acc. Iban bic? do I give a swift code yoke as well?

how long will that take to go through, is pay pal quicker?
                                                                                                    Bic and swift are the same thing, your Iban and your bic should be enough.

Comment

Withdrawing heaps of cash tonight\tomorrow to lump on the unders anyway. PP odds compilers have form on domestic politics.
                                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

What's the max you can bet online?
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                          What's the max you can bet online?
                                                                                                          £285 for me

Comment

Turns out the americans were right all along about peanut butter and jelly. You win this round murica.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                              £285 for me
                                                                                                              €328.50 for me. I must be a bigger mug than you
                                                                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Whats the argument against compulsory voting ? Is it a democratic right not to exercise that right ?

Would we have a much truer version of Ireland if we did make everyone vote ?
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                  £ v € ?
                                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    Turns out the americans were right all along about peanut butter and jelly. You win this round murica.
                                                                                                                    Prefer strawberry jelly jam and cheddar on dark rye bread.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                      £ v € ?
                                                                                                                      If so then shrap is a bigger mug than me

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                                        nope, mine is sterling so EUR360 roughly

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

That can be normal depending many things:
                                                                                                                          - Number of devices connected simultaneously to your WiFi.
                                                                                                                          - Temporary bottleneck on the ISP side.
                                                                                                                          - Speed of your laptop/phone WiFi card.
                                                                                                                          - Speed of the Router's WiFi Radio.
                                                                                                                          - Interference from other networks or devices.
                                                                                                                          - Distance from router.

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                                                          Depends on numerous factors but yeah you would expect it to be. As a comparison this is what I'm currently getting on 200mb UPC wifi. Try a test on ethernet and see what you get.

Max WiFi speed on UPC horizon is 75Mb/s, they don't mention this. I had to read through fine print on a manual to find out. Limitation of the Horizon box.

Get another router rated with "AC" class wifi and plug it into the Horizon box to boost the wireless speed. That's provided your devices have AC class Wifi to take advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X