Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Told a few dubs in the pub last night that Diarmuid Connolly is playing so well that he would probably get on the Kerry starting team

Comment

It depends on your fitness level and how good your bike is. I went to Howth and back from DCU on a shit bike with a pretty low fitness baseline and was destroyed afterwards.

Comment

AGreekment - Tusk must be a dad

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                No way???!!!!
                Way.

And tested too.

Comment

lol at that Greek agreement. They've had to put €50bn of state assets in a special fund to be eventually sold off. Talk about the death of the extreme left... jaysus, they've been battered to a pulp
                  That's what happens when you use yourself as collateral in a ransom situation I guess.

Comment

Yeah, used to do Howth to DCU everyday. About 15km? It was the wind that was the killer. Hmm.
                    I'd say if you were able for that every day you could chance 60 km if you have a good road bike?

Comment

Going to attempt to persuade my wife to let me go on a few day cycling tour of the Loire Valley. Maybe with the aim of meeting her and kid in the destination city / town. What would be a reasonable cycling distance per day without pushing it too much and stopping at regular intervals to see things? Maybe 60km? 100km? I've no idea what those distances actually mean.
                      Depends on your fitness level, speed, etc. Unless you are used to cycling (or have some fitness) even 20km is likely to feel like torture.
                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Comment

Paul Murphy is a Poe right?

Originally posted by @paulmurphyAAA
                          @tsipras has now agreed in Brussels to #ThisIsACoup #ThisIsAColony. #Syriza in Parl should revolt. Don't sign your own death sentence.
                          This is good though

Originally posted by @sturdyAlex Alex Andreou
                          I apologise to Marxists worldwide for #Greece not committing ritual suicide in order to further the cause. You have suffered from your sofa.
                          Perfect response to Paul Murphy tbh.
                          Last edited by Emmet; 13-07-15, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                            If you knew this already, then f*&k you for not telling me. If not, then I am about to give you the greatest nugget of info that you'll ever get.

If you are staying in a hotel that uses a card to activate the lights, then.....wait for it......any plastic card will do. It doesn't need to be the room card
                            No way???!!!!
                            Way.

And tested too.
                            LOL its literally impossible to stay in a hotel unless you know this.

In the case of really scabby hotels whose maids take your dummy key out when you are away, there is usually at least one socket that will stay powered on when you are out of the room that you can use for keeping the stuff you need plugged in running. It will be on the same circuit as the minibar fridge
                            The most important thing anyone needs to pack for a hotel stay these days IMO is a plug board.
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                  McGregor just got announced as the next coach on The Ultimate Fighter.

8 Europeans v 8 Americans at lightweight. Faber coaches the yanks.

They won't fight at the finale.

What a load of shite.
                                  Used to watch that years ago, before UFC was cool. Is it any good now? I watched a couple seasons, seemed to be getting better. Must download some. pretty bollox that they don't fight at the end?!
                                  Be pretty lol with McGregor I think.

Erring on the side of caution seems best so in terms of distance! Was really just about a leisurely meander through grape-soaked valleys developing deep philosophical thoughts rather than anything that even hints of working up a sweat.
                                  Keep it short as you can if your wife hasn't cycled much, or you for that matter. It will hurt wrists and ass because you are not used to it. And you may feel fine but the next day or the third day when yee cant sit on a bike at all you will know all about it.

Comment

.... What would be a reasonable cycling distance per day without pushing it too much and stopping at regular intervals to see things? Maybe 60km? 100km? ....
                                    ... Was really just about a leisurely meander through grape-soaked valleys developing deep philosophical thoughts ....
                                    Saw a formula for this in some magazine (Mens Health, maybe?)

RCDpD = CCDpD/AfWT * AScOOAEV

Where

RCDpD = Reasonable Cycling Distance per Day

CCDpD = Capability of Cycling Distance per Day (i.e. how much you could actually do)

DIVIDED BY

AfWT = Actual (free or otherwise) Wine Tours

MULTIPLIED BY

AScOOAEV = Actual Strip Clubs Or Other Adult Entertainment Venues (en route).

Plugged it into their online calculator for the crack - you'll be there by Christmas.

Comment

Everyone got their catchy new eircode address?

Given that it is a house-specific code, i guess you could literally just write the seven-digits and nothing else on the envelope and it would be delivered to your door.
                                      my home address (in Newport, Co. Tipperary) is apparently in Limerick
                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                        Used to watch that years ago, before UFC was cool. Is it any good now? I watched a couple seasons, seemed to be getting better. Must download some. pretty bollox that they don't fight at the end?!
                                        Be pretty lol with McGregor I think.

Keep it short as you can if your wife hasn't cycled much, or you for that matter. It will hurt wrists and ass because you are not used to it. And you may feel fine but the next day or the third day when yee cant sit on a bike at all you will know all about it.
                                        Think everyone enjoyed it years ago but viewership has declined so bring McGregor in and you are guaranteed an increase.

Makes more sense now why Faber got so much camera time in the run up to this fight and created as much tension as possible with Conor.

Comment

If you knew this already, then f*&k you for not telling me. If not, then I am about to give you the greatest nugget of info that you'll ever get.

If you are staying in a hotel that uses a card to activate the lights, then.....wait for it......any plastic card will do. It doesn't need to be the room card
                                          Yep, used it a lot, but it didn't work in the Premier Inn the other night for me on one of our stops. First time i've ever had it failed.

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          LOL its literally impossible to stay in a hotel unless you know this.

In the case of really scabby hotels whose maids take your dummy key out when you are away, there is usually at least one socket that will stay powered on when you are out of the room that you can use for keeping the stuff you need plugged in running. It will be on the same circuit as the minibar fridge
                                          The most important thing anyone needs to pack for a hotel stay these days IMO is a plug board.
                                          Big +1 to this. Usually the first thing in the bag!

Comment

Got my postcode, so they are charging people to look them up? Monetising our address I'm told?

Also did we need a postcode, what are the advantages over having none and the way it works now, just sorting? And very remote address i guess?

Comment

Got my postcode, so they are charging people to look them up? Monetising our address I'm told?

Also did we need a postcode, what are the advantages over having none and the way it works now, just sorting? And very remote address i guess?
                                              An post already had their own internal version so didnt really need it. Might be helpful for couriers, etc but they would have to buy the database.

New version not suitable for sorting as apart from routing code its random.

Comment

Couriers already have their own database that they offered for free. I'm not sure why it was done like this, why all the charging, load of crap.

Comment

Couriers already have their own database that they offered for free. I'm not sure why it was done like this, why all the charging, load of crap.
                                                  What do you mean about being charged, theres 15 free searches per day on their website http://eircode.ie/

Comment

Its quite bizarre that they have released eircode without a plug in for google maps or any GPS provider.
                                                    If they don't get them running it could end up being another voting machine debacle i.e. another piece of technology that a fortune was spent on that was implemented with a fundamental requirement missing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                      What do you mean about being charged, theres 15 free searches per day on their website http://eircode.ie/
                                                      For businesses, delivery etc. None of them will use this - all couriers have said that, not even an post will use for sorting as they can't.

Comment

Its quite bizarre that they have released eircode without a plug in for google maps or any GPS provider.
                                                        If they don't get them running it could end up being another voting machine debacle i.e. another piece of technology that a fortune was spent on that was implemented with a fundamental requirement missing.
                                                        Should have just used this:

Comment

There are loads of reasons but off the top of my head

1-people feel sad that postcode is a mandatory field on delivery forms and they dont have one. Also how much time is spent deciding if you should use x's or 0's.

2-people with sad 2 line addresses because they haven't named their house will now have important looking 3 line addresses

Seems like a needless thing to me but some of the database guys on here might see it as better than full addresses for data-mining. Since they are randomly assigned perhaps not and I dont think the state should be setting up systems for targeting junk mail or tracking voting patterns.

Comment

Comment

For businesses, delivery etc. None of them will use this - all couriers have said that, not even an post will use for sorting as they can't.
                                                              I don't know, they will pay if it works for them. There was a design decision to go for a closed system so the only real question is if it is a winner in any cost benefit analysis the potential users will run. IMO the key to that is if householders adopt it.
                                                              For the likes of me who needs about ten minutes to explain directions to people unfamiliar with the immediate area it will be great, I can now give them a 7 digit code. Previously the only shortcuts were to give them gps coordinates which are ok but too complicated for most couriers / random visitors or Loc8 which from a punters pov is much the same as eircode and no one uses it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                my home address (in Newport, Co. Tipperary) is apparently in Limerick
                                                                Sure I have always said you are a limerick man, was never in doubt. However I never know I was from cork until today.. funny auld site
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

I also wonder what the privacy geeks will have to say about the consequences publishing your eircode as an address.
                                                                  Presumably over a short enough period of time name and address associations will leak from all sorts of sources such as poorly secured websites, commercial phishing etc. And with a licence to the postal address file costing from 50 a year to the full gps coordinates and property details file for only 500 I can imagine all sorts of good and bad uses opening up.

Comment

Comment

I feel the same about this change as I do about Network 2.
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

huh?!

It means cost of setting up a national delivery network will be much cheaper than previously. (how much do you think An Post, UPS, Fedex spent setting up their own systems? now the cost for a new entrant is minuscule), so there will be eventually more competition reducing delivery costs of us on our online shopping.

Cost of subscription means we're less likely to get spam mail, as it has become more costly, and spam is likely to be eventually banned if it is sent without the eircode. Also the business subscription system means businesses, not us, are meeting a part of the cost.

It'll improve tax collection on things like property tax, tv licences, water, as now easier to identify households.

The codes are random, but even a non-random system would become random over time due to new-builds etc changing the sequential order.

A lot of the coverage aswell is about 'what the fck would that random code mean to a postie?', but this system is not designed for the historic nature of mail delivery. Instead its about a much more advanced future system where every house can be identified exactly - thats a huge development over existing postcode systems.

Strewel's point about Google Maps etc link in is a big thing though, but it was always meant to be added in to GPS location systems, so i guess that will come soon.
                                                                        not for real voting patterns for cast your vote for a tv program send your answer and postcode to type votes.

I was obviously being flippant but as I said it really is just an easier system for databases than full addresses I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                          Sure I have always said you are a limerick man, was never in doubt. However I never know I was from cork until today.. funny auld site
                                                                          Hi m8. How are you? Any drunken shenanigans recently?
                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

rather critical use of 'from' there

Addresses aren't private information in any case. Although is attaching a name to an address maybe a privacy breech?
                                                                            Well, the from bit means the price for full access to one user.

AFAIK building up a data base of names and addresses for commercial use is not illegal obviously trading in the information is dodgy as hell but that isn't stopping people from doing it now.

Comment

Going to attempt to persuade my wife to let me go on a few day cycling tour of the Loire Valley. Maybe with the aim of meeting her and kid in the destination city / town. What would be a reasonable cycling distance per day without pushing it too much and stopping at regular intervals to see things? Maybe 60km? 100km? I've no idea what those distances actually mean.
                                                                              Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                              Depends on your fitness level, speed, etc. Unless you are used to cycling (or have some fitness) even 20km is likely to feel like torture.
                                                                              I cycle about once a week at least. When I started 20km seemed impossible. The most I have ever done is 60km. I feel i could easily enough do 100km if I really wanted. bp_me sums it up pretty good. There are to many variables for anyone to guide you perfectly.
                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                I cycle about once a week at least. When I started 20km seemed impossible. The most I have ever done is 60km. I feel i could easily enough do 100km if I really wanted. bp_me sums it up pretty good. There are to many variables for anyone to guide you perfectly.
                                                                                Anybody can do 100k as long as they cycle a bit like yerself, I've considered doing the cycle against suicide, which is a cycle around ireland over 2 weeks, 100km per day. I don't think it would be that hard tbh.

huh?!

...

It means cost of setting up a national delivery network will be much cheaper than previously. (how much do you think An Post, UPS, Fedex spent setting up their own systems? now the cost for a new entrant is minuscule), so there will be eventually more competition reducing delivery costs of us on our online shopping.

Cost of subscription means we're less likely to get spam mail, as it has become more costly, and spam is likely to be eventually banned if it is sent without the eircode. Also the business subscription system means businesses, not us, are meeting a part of the cost.

It'll improve tax collection on things like property tax, tv licences, water, as now easier to identify households.

The codes are random, but even a non-random system would become random over time due to new-builds etc changing the sequential order.

A lot of the coverage aswell is about 'what the fck would that random code mean to a postie?', but this system is not designed for the historic nature of mail delivery. Instead its about a much more advanced future system where every house can be identified exactly - thats a huge development over existing postcode systems.

Strewel's point about Google Maps etc link in is a big thing though, but it was always meant to be added in to GPS location systems, so i guess that will come soon.
                                                                                Is it better than having something that is free and already available like this? (No database necessary) http://www.openpostcode.org/

Comment

...

Comment

I've no idea, but am always highly wary of the constant claims for how mega-million money savings could have been made on almost any government scheme with some bright idea that hasn't been thought of except by one guy.

It's always a guy operating alone in his basement who comes up with the brilliant alternative too. The big bad government, their consultants, their ability to have high level conversations with An Post / UPS / DHL / Fedex on designing the right system, the expertise of the hired IT firm: these can never come close to matching the unrivaled ingenuity of BasementDude.

I don't know, maybe the government needs more BasementDudes.

Comment

Comment

very multicultural stock picture with no gingers.

Comment

Where is the best place to buy a few hundred sterling??

Was told credit union would that be correct??

Comment

...

Comment

Anybody can do 100k as long as they cycle a bit like yerself, I've considered doing the cycle against suicide, which is a cycle around ireland over 2 weeks, 100km per day. I don't think it would be that hard tbh.
                                                                                              From speaking to a few people in the club who have done some legs of it.. it isnt that hard at all. If you want to do it go for it.

The key to doing a lot more distance than you are used to is to stay out of the red (conversely you can definitely do 25% more than you are used to without any real difficulty so no need to throttle back in that scenario). So HRM and know what your lactate threshold is and stay below that as much as possible. Easy game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooch View Post

I didn't check CU but AIB was best rate when I bought sterling.

Comment

This guy does a great mix... Glenn Astro, nice house jazzy stuff etc.
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Any mainstream bank's ATM in a sterling area.

Comment

Local casino...
                                                                                                      Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Any mainstream bank's ATM in a sterling area.
                                                                                                        This. Don't jump through hoops to save a few pence.
                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Season 2 of The Strain started last night

Opr

Comment

So Germany is basically that guy in your local Casino who keeps lending money to the sickest Degen then whinging when it all goes tits up again. how far down the road has the can been kicked this time?
                                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 13-07-15, 17:13.

Comment

For those maybe interested in capitalising on Greece.

US start of day update:

· After all-night talks in Brussels, Eurozone leaders have reached a deal on a Greek bailout. Some key points of the deal include:

o Worth EUR€82-86bn, the deal comprises a three-year programme, funded mainly by the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) - the eurozone bailout fund; the IMF will also be asked to make a contribution from March 2016

o The Greek parliament must adopt laws to reform key parts of its economy by Wednesday, July 15th. The reforms include: streamlining the pension system, boosting tax revenue - especially from VAT, liberalising the labour market, privatising the electricity network, extending shop opening hours.

o A new trust fund will be set up, managed by Greece, with €50bn of Greek assets. It is a mechanism for paying off part of the total ESM loan. Half of the €50bn will be used to fund recapitalisation of Greek banks, the other half will go towards reducing Greece's debt mountain - by privatising assets - and investing in Greece

o The European Central Bank and eurozone finance ministers will tightly monitor Greek compliance with the bailout conditions

o Negotiations on the ESM bailout will begin only after the plan is approved by the parliaments of Finland, Germany and Greece

o The eurozone is ready if necessary to extend the repayment period of Greek debt (by debt rescheduling), but debt will not be written off

o The European Commission will try to mobilise €35bn - outside the ESM loan - to help Greece with growth and job creation

· Greece Equities continue to be marked on market holiday for the period of the stock exchange closure and as yet there has been no confirmation of the market opening from July 14th or an extension of the bank holiday period.

· Greece Bonds continue to receive the evaluated pricing service from the vendors. There has been no drop in coverage. Prices for the Greek 10 year sovereign bond are up on Friday’s close by 10.8% as at 12pm BST / 6am CST.

· The main Asian Markets have closed strongly - Nikkei (1.57%), ASX (0.61%)and Hang Seng (1.3%). The Stoxx Europe 600 Index climbed 1.62% by 1pm BST/7am CST.

Comment

Plan for the weekend. 100 double on Harrington for the Open and Sligo to win. Pays 80k, quit the job and celebrate for the year.
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Harrington is done.
                                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

How does one quit a fake job m8, do you have to submit a fake resignation letter? Or just keep not turning up?
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                      Harrington is done.
                                                                                                                      Don't talk like that. Didnt fair too badly at the weekend. Never seems to have 4 rounds in him though
                                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                        Plan for the weekend. 100 double on Harrington for the Open and Sligo to win. Pays 80k, quit the job and celebrate for the year.
                                                                                                                        Can you just give me the €100? It would go to a better place than the bookies pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                          Harrington is done.
                                                                                                                          Stop begrudging you typical Irish hater.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X