Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batteries have always been shit. Battery technology has crept forward in progress while everything dependent on batteries have experienced evolutionary leaps. Mobile technology is definitely hamstrung by it. you can make up for it with client-server models and lots of bandwidth, but that's not ubiquitous either.

Until a good replacement for metal ions comes along, power limitations will be the nature of the beast.
    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
      Yes, some vehicles have adaptive cruise control, slow down, speed up in traffic and keep between the lines and can brake to avoid accidents etc. and I know a lot of manufacturers are working on driverless cars, I have seen the Audi videos of 4 cars without drivers following each other on a closed track, but to take that to the streets is a long way off.
      You wouldn't believe how long it takes and the costs involved to get a safety feature or a new engine approved for sale.

I stand by my 100 year time prediction of that article's prediction of the the future of transport.
      Sorry I'm running out the door or I would reply in a little more detail but I'm not sure where you are getting the idea these things have only been tested on closed tracks. They have done journeys on motorways, through towns, parked themselves in garages, can be recalled to a certain spot after parking by a phone app.

Here is an example of the Audi one I think you're talking about and where they are at right now.

CARJAM TV - Subscribe Here Now https://www.youtube.com/user/CarjamRadio/videosLike Us Now On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CarjamTVFor The World's Bes...

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
        Batteries have always been shit. Battery technology has crept forward in progress while everything dependent on batteries have experienced evolutionary leaps. Mobile technology is definitely hamstrung by it. you can make up for it with client-server models and lots of bandwidth, but that's not ubiquitous either.

Until a good replacement for metal ions comes along, power limitations will be the nature of the beast.
        Pretty much what I spend my days worrying about!

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
          What's it called? I thought he was gone pro on Pokerstars
          some rudimentary google fu brought me to Betbright.com
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

There was a thing celebrating 30 years of physics in DCU last week and they had some graduate from the 80s who worked for Phillips, and tried to pass off that he was solely responsible for bringing the LED to market. He works for some VC funded energy company making fuel cells now and thinks his pisspot company is going to destroy Elon Musk and the Tesla.

Cheap renewable hydrogen is at least a decade away still, unless you read my grant applications which promise it in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Was there not a big breakthrough on this a couple of weeks back? Obv that means its still a while away but it's on the right track isn't it?

It's crazy how shit batteries are.

Comment

Driverless cars are only a number of years away, the technology is already there (ala the Google cars) and there are huge benefits like a plummeting death toll and the ability for humans to drink drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                  Driverless cars are only a number of years away, the technology is already there (ala the Google cars) and there are huge benefits like a plummeting death toll and the ability for humans to drink drive.
                  Be great going for a few pints without the hardship of getting home after!
                  https://twitter.com/#!/TedCullinane1

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                    Don't think anyone was arguing they are not coming,just the ridiculous timescale of the takeover outlined in Dennis linked article.
                    Great news for the VFI, everyone in rural Ireland can start drink driving again (well the ones who actually stopped) and they can cut costs by employing robot bartenders.

Comment

I seriously doubt driverless cars will enable people to drink drive in Ireland.

Comment

In May 2014, Google presented a new concept for their driverless car that had neither a steering wheel nor pedals,[12] and unveiled a fully functioning prototype in December of that year that they planned to test on San Francisco Bay Area roads beginning in 2015.[13] Google plans to make these cars available to the public in 2020.[14]

Personally I think 10 years is a stretch but I think by 20 years it's a cert.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                          Has anyone been billed by direct debit? Supposedly mine should have been taken on the 26/05 but here we are 8 days later and no debited money (and of course no way for me to see that things are correct in their online system... though I registered online so it should be).
                          Mine went through the end of last month no bother. Also had no problem accessing my account online. Also paid the same as Oleras and was wondering if it was right. Good to see that is all it is.

Comment

The big thing holding it back will be the slow uptake in the market.
                            All well and good having a perfect driving car when you are surrounded by people late for work trying to beat the lights and undertake.
                            It'll fuck with the internal logic of the car
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              The big thing holding it back will be the slow uptake in the market.
                              All well and good having a perfect driving car when you are surrounded by people late for work trying to beat the lights and undertake.
                              It'll fuck with the internal logic of the car
                              I'm gonna try and get hit by one for a juicy claim. Victimless crime

Comment

Wonder how they deal with the trolley problem, will cars be racist?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                  Wonder how they deal with the trolley problem, will cars be racist?
                                  There won't be grocery stores in 20 years never mind trolleys

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                    There won't be grocery stores in 20 years never mind trolleys
                                    Will be a lot longer than 20 years.

Comment

Speaking of bank accs. Just spotted security weakness in AIB phone banking. So you want anything changed on your online banking they want your 8 digit code and 3 out of 4 digits of your password. So now a rogue clerk only needs 1 more number or 10 max attempts to login to your acc. Youve already given them name address, dob, and reg no. Why cant it be the 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th digit of your password and the name of your favourite pet!.

Comment

Only my dad leaves me voicemails.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

speaking of the future , I wonder if the Morlocks shag the Eloi before eating them , I read the book years ago but can't remember

Driverless horseless carriages hmmmm we have come so far

Comment

Landline phones should be obsolete yet internet providers still try to lump them in with their packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                              Only my dad leaves me voicemails.
                                              Same. He always opens with either 'hello...hello!!!' or 'i know you probably wont listen to this'. lol old fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                Landline phones should be obsolete yet internet providers still try to lump them in with their packages.
                                                True. Some necks on those providers m8.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                  Speaking of bank accs. Just spotted security weakness in AIB phone banking. So you want anything changed on your online banking they want your 8 digit code and 3 out of 4 digits of your password. So now a rogue clerk only needs 1 more number or 10 max attempts to login to your acc. Youve already given them name address, dob, and reg no. Why cant it be the 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th digit of your password and the name of your favourite pet!.
                                                  I've been having this argument with Ulster Bank for years, this is a typical call to their call centre :

Me: Hi I want to make an enquiry blah blah
                                                  Mary from UB: name address etc... and finally I need the 2nd and 4th numbers from our PIN
                                                  Me: But you told me not to give my PIN to anyone
                                                  Mary from UB: But I don't want to know your PIN just the the 2nd and 4th digits
                                                  Me: But Mary, I called you last week and you asked me for the 1st and 3rd Digits
                                                  Mary from UB: Wat?
                                                  Me: Well if I tell you the the 2nd and 4th you'll know the full pin
                                                  Mary from UB: You can't be serious
                                                  Me:

Its not really a weakness in the system TBH, the technique of partial pin collection is approved for use in certified call centres by Visa and the Payment Card Industry security certification bodies. The code is being requested by verification software and is an effective and safe way of verifying that the caller .
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                    Same. He always opens with either 'hello...hello!!!' or 'i know you probably wont listen to this'. lol old fellas.
                                                    Gave mine a good ribbing because he would always timestamp them, could hear him looking for a clock

'eh it's dad at..... 6.30pm, Sunday.....the 4th, just calling to say hello, no need to call me back'.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

The 50 year future is all about energy and really only about energy. If we have enough clean cheap energy we can get to a stable population of c.20 billion with most everyone well fed and benefiting from the fruits of technology which will increase the spread of transparency and democracy.
                                                      If we don't find new sources of energy then we will all be fighting over the last dregs of oil out of the ground and its not going to be pretty at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                        There's 5 digits in my AIB Online bank password.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          The 50 year future is all about energy and really only about energy. If we have enough clean cheap energy we can get to a stable population of c.20 billion with most everyone well fed and benefiting from the fruits of technology which will increase the spread of transparency and democracy.
                                                          If we don't find new sources of energy then we will all be fighting over the last dregs of oil out of the ground and its not going to be pretty at all.
                                                          all bout the h20 imo

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                            can I have the 1st and 4th digit please.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              Sorry I'm running out the door or I would reply in a little more detail but I'm not sure where you are getting the idea these things have only been tested on closed tracks. They have done journeys on motorways, through towns, parked themselves in garages, can be recalled to a certain spot after parking by a phone app.

Here is an example of the Audi one I think you're talking about and where they are at right now.

CARJAM TV - Subscribe Here Now https://www.youtube.com/user/CarjamRadio/videosLike Us Now On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CarjamTVFor The World's Bes...

Opr
                                                              I missed that video, I have an Audi folder in my outlook and keep getting the updates sent to me but I just file them without watching most of them because I know that any concepts are years away.

I know the technology exists and I know it will come but I just don't buy the timeline.

The technology to have pilot-less planes has been around for years and they put up the same arguments, safety, fuel efficiency, time saving etc. but do we have pilotless planes?

Lol at yer man saying that he is sure regulations will be passed as if it's no big deal. Audi have been trying to get diesel engines into their vehicles in the USA for 20 years and they have just got them in the last few years. And even then they don't have them in the A4, A5 which are the biggest sellers. Every new model that they try to bring in for sale in the USA takes years of red tape and large costs before they are approved.

Are the manufacturers going to go through all that cost and red tape for autonomous vehicles if (as the article suggests) it is going to spell disaster for sales due to car sharing etc. That doesn't make sense at all.
                                                              imo it's a publicity stunt and they will continue to develop and control the technology but they won't be in a rush to make it mainstream or affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                Doh forgot that!. 3 out of 5 isnt so bad then. But if we could do a bit of horse trading and say 2 out of 5, my first pet and my mothers maiden name then i'll fold me tent.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Moving from being a semiconductor drone to energy research is the best thing I ever did work wise. It's at a stage where very cheap research and bucket chemistry has real potential to make big leaps which is exactly where Ireland should position itself.

Right now I have a student over from Notre Dame developing a technique to use a model maker's airbrush to spray a compound onto glass that can split water using sunlight.

Instead all the loot get poured into inflated research centres trying to one up Microsoft in cloud computing and help Intel find a new transistor architecture when we can't even make one that was competitive in the 70s.

Comment

Feeling an awful yearning to play some poker (sober). I assume standard aversion therapy will kick in once I actually sit down.
                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Pretty sweet day today here. Due to be fantastic this weekend too although looks like the photographer forgot to change from May to June.

SPOILER

Comment

Do you ever get drunk and play Game of Thrones in that castle Fuzzy m8

Comment

Do you ever get drunk and play Game of Thrones in that castle Fuzzy m8
                                                                            No, but I have opened a bottle of wine with my shoe in there. Vid is somewhere on youtube. Must try and find it actually.

Comment

If I find a hotel through a hotel search engine site (Skyscanner Hotels, Hotels Combined etc) and proceed to book it, will it charge my card now or can I just pay when I'm there? Similarly, if I book directly through a hotel's website, will my card be charged now or at the end of my stay?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                If I find a hotel through a hotel search engine site (Skyscanner Hotels, Hotels Combined etc) and proceed to book it, will it charge my card now or can I just pay when I'm there? Similarly, if I book directly through a hotel's website, will my card be charged now or at the end of my stay?
                                                                                I know on Hotels.com you can book the stay and pay for it now or when you arrive, gives good options on the cancellation also.
                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                  Gave mine a good ribbing because he would always timestamp them, could hear him looking for a clock

'eh it's dad at..... 6.30pm, Sunday.....the 4th, just calling to say hello, no need to call me back'.

My Dad writes me text messages like formal letters -

"Steve,

Dad here. Hope all is well.

There is chicken to be cooked in the fridge. Do you know where the remote is?

Dad"

Sicko.
                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Paging Oleras, Guy clarke on TG4 sessions right now

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      Feeling an awful yearning to play some poker (sober). I assume standard aversion therapy will kick in once I actually sit down.
                                                                                      Your guy rocking the boat today.

Wisconsin governor, a Republican who is expected to run for president in 2016, says he is prepared to sign into law a 20-week abortion ban without exceptions

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                        it varies with the offers they are doing but mostly you do a pre auth for the amount you are due to pay on arrival and pay on checkout.
                                                                                        The Hotels own sites would have the majority of their rates on that basis. Sometimes with you will pay in advance on the aggregator sites but more often you pay a deposit to them that they take their fee from and the balance to the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                                                                                          Stroking the base. Solid work.
                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                            feckin TG4, Guy plays one tune then the accordians from hell take over. WTF advertising it as Guy Clark in session . I'm not a violent man but I'd like to set fire to Sharon Shannon

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                              Mine went through the end of last month no bother. Also had no problem accessing my account online. Also paid the same as Oleras and was wondering if it was right. Good to see that is all it is.
                                                                                              Dont forget we all get a €100 rebate in December, so effectively only paying 25 eurons a year for water.

You can be guaranteed when we have to pay by usage they will be reading the feckin meters.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Im here, Im here.
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

1st death on day 3 of the TT practice week sessions. Being here and driving on the roads it would freak you out to think they get up too 200mph on what are for the most of it well kept country roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    Stroking the base. Solid work.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Once Sharon fecked off with her squeezebox that was very enjoyable.

Cheers Willie.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                        He took over a title contending, Champions league competitive and really dynamic footballing side in Napoli, spent more than any other side while there, missed out on champions league qualification both seasons in a league lacking depth and made them a really boring watch. Top effort all in all and well deserved of his crack at Real.
                                                                                                        Of the top clubs in Italy, only Juventus is spending more on salaries this season than last. Meanwhile, the highest-paid player on the peninsula may surprise you.

Delighted for Rafa, has earned his shot at the big job following a very solid overall career. He has a squad capable of winning the CL, I'll be rooting for him anyway.
                                                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                          http://www.violanation.com/2014/9/8/...ayers-spending

Delighted for Rafa, has earned his shot at the big job following a very solid overall career. He has a squad capable of winning the CL, I'll be rooting for him anyway.
                                                                                                          Wages are a way better indication of competitiveness than prices paid for players overall. Couldn't agree more re: Rafa. Since 2000 he's the only manager other than Simeone to beat Real and Barcelona to the title and he did it with Valencia (a team that last won it in 1971). He won the Champions League with Liverpool, kept a sliding Napoli team competitive and took a poison chalice at Chelsea and kept the ship afloat during his tenure.

Literally no idea why people don't like him. He's a smart, tactically astute and entertaining coach. The man took LIVERPOOL to win a Champions League. Has any other team ever won the competition without winning their domestic league within 5 years either side of the win???
                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            My Dad writes me text messages like formal letters -

"Steve,

Dad here. Hope all is well.

There is chicken to be cooked in the fridge. Do you know where the remote is?

Dad"

Sicko.
                                                                                                            Seems like my dad has a secret family!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                              Once Sharon fecked off with her squeezebox that was very enjoyable.

Cheers Willie.
                                                                                                              Jaysus that was a very old show . no fancy phones in dem days

After TVZ Clark is my fav of that genre

Comment

Jaysus that was a very old show . no fancy phones in dem days

After TVZ Clark is my fav of that genre
                                                                                                                Sure it was in 4:3 format.

The brother is a big Townes fan, and anything Wainwright, cant warm to them myself.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                  Sure it was in 4:3 format.

The brother is a big Townes fan, and anything Wainwright, cant warm to them myself.
                                                                                                                  Does that include the Wainwright offspring ? Some talent in that family.

Townes to me is more wild west than Clint Eastwood. You can tell he lived his songs. Hot summer evening chunes , nothing like it .

Comment

Does that include the Wainwright offspring ? Some talent in that family.

Townes to me is more wild west than Clint Eastwood. You can tell he lived his songs. Hot summer evening chunes , nothing like it .
                                                                                                                    All of them, Martha is rocking his world atm.

I wouldn't say i am stuck in my way but i have a core "soundtrack" of my life, its very difficult for me to put others on that playlist if you know what i mean ?

I am not musical, maybe thats it ? yourself and Connor would be plucking away and looking for new stuff all the time, new being new to you of course. Then again, i know Tony likes his music and finding new stuff to listen to, i dont think he plays any instruments ?
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Got sent this years ago, bootleg . And sure enough good old YouTube have it.

From "Together at the Bluebird Cafe" (2001) with Townes Van Zandt and Steve Earle

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                        Wages are a way better indication of competitiveness than prices paid for players overall. Couldn't agree more re: Rafa. Since 2000 he's the only manager other than Simeone to beat Real and Barcelona to the title and he did it with Valencia (a team that last won it in 1971). He won the Champions League with Liverpool, kept a sliding Napoli team competitive and took a poison chalice at Chelsea and kept the ship afloat during his tenure.

Literally no idea why people don't like him. He's a smart, tactically astute and entertaining coach. The man took LIVERPOOL to win a Champions League. Has any other team ever won the competition without winning their domestic league within 5 years either side of the win???
                                                                                                                        No team whose name begins with Z has won it either.

Benitez was good with Valencia and Liverpool. Was very, very lucky to win the CL. Nice steady decline after that with Liverpool too.

Takes over the Italian League Champions and CL winners and royally fucks them up, lasting a few months.

Takes the Chelsea job and does nothing special. We were crap playing against crap teams in the EL run. There was nothing poison about Chelsea at the time. Fans didn't want him and have every right to have that opinion when they spend money on the club. Avram Grant took us to a CL final whilst an interim manager when it was a poison chalice

At Napoli he took them a step back when they were in position to take a step forward.

People don't like him cause he has a tendency to be a complete ignorant cunt. Whilst his comments about Chelsea were lolworthy ignorant bullshit, I admire his moxy and can see why his own followers love him. He is decent at best, nothing special. The fact that he is the Real Madrid manager is pretty funny. He is not on the level that Madrid think they are on. Says a lot about the manager market and Madrids decision making. I hope he crushes La Liga but he simply isn't a top level manager. He is a good 2nd rate manager.

Comment

The fact that he is the Real Madrid manager is pretty funny. He is not on the level that Madrid think they are on. Says a lot about the manager market and Madrids decision making. I hope he crushes La Liga but he simply isn't a top level manager. He is a good 2nd rate manager.

Eh... what level are Real Madrid on that you disagree with? They're one of the 5 best teams in Europe without a shadow of a doubt.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Kayroo; 03-06-15, 23:29.
                                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X