• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
    is not in Dublin

SPOILER
    Would this fit the requirement

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
    Galway people, can ya recommend me a nice auld pub where you can go for a meal for 6-8 people and sit and relax with a pint and some very daycent pub grub. Also must have really nice burgers.

Thanks Galway people.

These people would honestly order a burger no matter how much you sold/hype up the fish and chips.
    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
      Let it play through for a view but go on and get her a real dog!
      +1, watched it but get her a real one. My girlfriends little sister loves our her dog. Will get her outdoors and dogs are great craic and class.

Comment

You don't even need to watch it, just gotta refresh it. We at Wolfpack HQ have decided that we won't rest until the video has 100k views. Get refreshing m8s

edit - first 100 down. Gonna take a rest.
        Last edited by davepoke/her; 26-05-15, 23:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
          Great news for your family. In relation to your question about priority, it's my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong that those infected by the Anti-D product were compensated by the Tribunal? In which case from an objective standpoint that there is no reason not to treat on the basis of need, as all medical treatment should be. That's not to say that money could compensate for what your mother had to go through, but if you were always to look at cause rather than condition when assessing a patient the system wouldn't work.
          I would agree with you Mickey regarding priority in most circumstances. However I think it is an unusual case here. Yes people were compensated at the time however the compensation was to cover loss of earnings / future care for deteriorating health etc as there was no treatment available at the time . I would imagine that the average payout 20 years ago is pretty much gone for most claimants let alone having anywhere near the € 50,000 cost to cover the new treatment if they wanted to source it privately.

What has happened with the arrival of this new treatment is that there is now an almost guaranteed cure with very little side effects. However in order to receive it , your condition if not severe has to deteriorate dramatically in order to have any chance of being cured which seems a bit perverse.I have actually heard people from my mothers group saying they hope to reach cirrhosis soon in order to be closer to getting treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
            Jam Fly PM some deetz for this 20e burning a hole.
            cheers, PM sent to you and any others I haven't been in contact with yet
            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
              Year of the next Irish general election - 2015 @ 5/2 wouldn't be the worst place ever to reinvest some of the referendum loots
              I was going to post the other day that PP had cut this to 2/1. Just checked now and it's 5/6 with 2016 @ 10/11 .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                +1, watched it but get her a real one. My girlfriends little sister loves our her dog. Will get her outdoors and dogs are great craic and class.
                we have 'real' dogs. Its just a thing myself and daughter started with Codys Adventure when out for a drive last year and daughter asked for camera to do another one. Toy dogs also dont charge appearance fees. Here is our real dogs blending in during winter .......[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

FAO: Roaul, who do I owe that tenner to?

FAO: Whoever I owe a tenner, I will have money on stars by the weekend if that suits, don't tend to have cash online these days.

FAO: Jammers, I presume stars will suit you, will read your pm.
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Music video by Mick Flannery performing The Small Fire. (C) 2014 Universal Music Ireland Ltd.
                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                      I was going to post the other day that PP had cut this to 2/1. Just checked now and it's 5/6 with 2016 @ 10/11 .
                      Interesting. That moved fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                        FAO: Roaul, who do I owe that tenner to?.
                        Make a donation to the charity of your choice then we can all bask in some karmic rungood vibe.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                          Had to copy that

Just a pity they got Lazare's fuckin bulb in it. Ruins an otherwise lovely picture

Comment

Interesting. That moved fairly quickly.
                            Doesn't take much.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Doesn't take much.
                              How much did you get on?

Comment

How much did you get on?
                                Zero! Although I see value in 2016 now. Think it's in the Govt's best interest to get further and further in to post-austerity.

I also have no Walker bets on with them but something moved him from 10s to 7s.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  Zero! Although I see value in 2016 now. Think it's in the Govt's best interest to get further and further in to post-austerity.

I also have no Walker bets on with them but something moved him from 10s to 7s.
                                  Does it have to be held by end of 2016? Post budget election early 2016 makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                    Does it have to be held by end of 2016? Post budget election early 2016 makes sense.
                                    Yes. Think latest possible legal date is sometime in April/May of 2016.

Comment

Where to holiday this year? September/November. 2 weeks. Sun, sand, lazyness. I'm an ignorant cunt so no sightseeing nonsense, unless it's class.

Sri Lanka?

Comment

The Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, has called the result of the Irish same-sex marriage equality referendum a “defeat for humanity”.
                                        LOL

Comment

Flying to the U.S. Vote a Toronto. Will I have to do the U.S. immigration in Dublin?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                            Flying to the U.S. Vote a Toronto. Will I have to do the U.S. immigration in Dublin?
                                            No. You'll clear immigration in Toronto airport.

Comment

No
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                No
                                                Nice one, 3 hours early for my flight so!

Which direction should I head for for the Gate for an Air Canada flight?

Comment

Nice one, 3 hours early for my flight so!

Which direction should I head for for the Gate for an Air Canada flight?
                                                  Is it today?
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Is it today?

Yes. 12:25 to Toronto

Comment

303 for now. Could change but prob won't. Will only be one of other 300s if it does
                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                        Also, has anyone watched Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell on BBC on Sundays? First two episodes in and I adore it every aspect of it.
                                                        I haven't watched it yet. I am considering holding off so I can binge it. Have you read the book? It's completely unlike anything else.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just saw a junkie, 200 yards from the bridewell with his jocks around his ankles injecting into his balls. Grim.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                            I haven't watched it yet. I am considering holding off so I can binge it. Have you read the book? It's completely unlike anything else.
                                                            Same plan here, looks like it will not disappoint.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                            Just saw a junkie, 200 yards from the bridewell with his jocks around his ankles injecting into his balls. Grim.
                                                            Thanks for sharing
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Really enjoyed the book, but people seemed to either love it or absolutely hate it - know a few who just gave up after a few chapters and have refused to open it again.

Comment

303 for now. Could change but prob won't. Will only be one of other 300s if it does
                                                                For a fella who has never set foot in the airport, you do make some fairly good predictions on the when and where of how it works!

Ever considered using your skills elsewhere?
                                                                I'm sure Lrd Sr Bizzness could find use for you in his lottery empire!

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                  Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                                  Yes. Think latest possible legal date is sometime in April/May of 2016.
                                                                  Have seen 3rd and 7th April 2016 quoted as the latest date it must be held by. As much as I presume the present incumbents would like to be at the helm for 2016 commemorations if the trend for Friday elections is continued can't see them holding it on April fools day the following week so probably some time before that unless they went for a Saturday vote on April 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                    Would this fit the requirement
                                                                    These people would honestly order a burger no matter how much you sold/hype up the fish and chips.
                                                                    Busker Brownes would be a solid bet for that. When I read it first I thought you mean aul as in "aul lads pub". If it needs to be an aul lads pub then Crowes would be only central one I can think of with food.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                      Where to holiday this year? September/November. 2 weeks. Sun, sand, lazyness. I'm an ignorant cunt so no sightseeing nonsense, unless it's class.

Sri Lanka?
                                                                      If you want great food and wine in a very laid back environment without having to pay much money for it then South Africa would be a very good call. The landscape is pretty breathtaking also.

When we were in the early stages of holiday planning however we also looked at Sri Lanka and that looks like a ridiculously cool place to visit also.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      The sooner they get set up with safe injection facilities the better.

On that topic, has anyone read Johann Hari's book Chasing the Scream on the war on drugs and alternative approaches? Makes a compelling case IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                        If you want great food and wine in a very laid back environment without having to pay much money for it then South Africa would be a very good call. The landscape is pretty breathtaking also.

When we were in the early stages of holiday planning however we also looked at Sri Lanka and that looks like a ridiculously cool place to visit also.

The sooner they get set up with safe injection facilities the better.

On that topic, has anyone read Johann Hari's book Chasing the Scream on the war on drugs and alternative approaches? Makes a compelling case IMO.
                                                                        Did you do your TR yet ?
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                          Did you do your TR yet ?
                                                                          No, not yet. I haven't gotten around to getting all the pics together in one place but it's still on the agenda!

Comment

@Tar, I have decided to trial eat vegetarian for the month of June. I'm not a great fan of vegetables generally. Help.
                                                                            When I became vegetarian I was known for never eating vegetables, people wouldn't even believe me. I hated them all, my diet was essentially steak. I think most people are put off from an early age but their mothers nuking of veg into some sort of boiled gruel, then every meal is meat centric in their lives.

Do you cook much, here are some things I've made which are nice:
                                                                            (also other peoples efforts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...634281&page=96) Secret to veg is to not taste them due to all the nice flavouring on whatever is in the dish. If I'm lazy I do still buy sausages/burgers etc.
                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                            If you want some further information on making a dish just say etc Or if you want something fancier or simpler and so on.

I often make massaman curry which is very simple http://i.imgur.com/aXQ931O.jpg
                                                                            Just massaman paste bought in the chinese or indian shops, a tin of coconut milk and assorted veg. Baby corns, mushrooms, chickpeas, tofu, whatever. You basically mix the paste with the milk and fry the veg lightly, mixing it together and having it with noodles.

A note on tofu, you can get a kg of it from the Asian market for E2.xx. Now mostly tofu tastes like crap so the trick is to empty the water, freeze the tofu and defrost it again, then fry it in cubes, It tastes waaaay better.

Veggie korma,used tofu instead of paneer, both are great.

Mmm delicious yellow rice. Don't forget to pick out the cloves and cardamom pods as you eat! Serve with Recipe #37989 (it won't be low fat any more i

AMtar paneer is also easy to make: http://i.imgur.com/Gp5x4.jpg

goats cheese stuffed mushrooms http://i.imgur.com/RBVSV.jpg

caramelised onion, sundried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and goat's cheese in a filo case with lentils. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/pictu...ictureid=12491

chili garlic tofu stirfry: http://i.imgur.com/u1ZHm.jpg

couscous bake http://i.imgur.com/s17JJ.jpg
                                                                            fry onions and garlic and tin chopped tomatoes together, mix with cooked cous cous, add salt and herbs, fresh spinach, top with goats cheese and bake in the oven, add some toasted pine nuts on top.

roast butternut squash, red lentil and spinach curry http://i.imgur.com/PDuPi.jpg
                                                                            Roast the squash first, after cutting it in half. The cook it all together on the pan. Very simple and delicious.

Another thing that is great with butternut squash is soup, again roast the squash to make it taste better, you can put honey or sugar on it while it is roasting http://i.imgur.com/EA0OE.jpg

pan-orange-glazed-tempeh on lentils and kale: http://i.imgur.com/58gM9tZ.jpg
                                                                            Can do the same with tofu. Recipe from here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...eh-recipe.html

It's from http://blogchef.net/mexican-casserole-recipe used quorn mince
                                                                            also made the salsa for it fromhttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/speedy-homemade-salsa I did use red jalapenos instead of green ones and I used balsamic vinegar in place of cider vinegar.

Served with some sour cream on the side

dum aloo http://i.imgur.com/19rsr.jpg
                                                                            recipe I used is gone from the internets now but here is a different one, any of them will do http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjabi-dum-aloo/ I baked the potatoes and threw in some kidney beans and lentils)

kidney bean, quinoa and sweet potato chilli from http://www.milkfreemom.com/vegan-qui...-potato-chili/ Simple and lovely, my attempt: http://i.imgur.com/rl5Lqox.jpg
                                                                            Similar, lentil bolagnaise: http://i.imgur.com/YA5k0.jpg

This place has some nice simple 10 minute meals kinda thing http://theveganstoner.com/

This is a salad with artichoke hearts, peppers and so on with roasted portabello mushrooms, used spinach, coconut milk, fortified nutritional yeast(can use cheese instead) etc. Here is the recipe

Simple things like this are great, rocket, hummous, goats cheese and sweet potato fries http://i.imgur.com/ry5vCEr.jpg

lasagne cupcakes: http://i.imgur.com/c66Cg3L.png http://i.imgur.com/mBWiL20.jpg
                                                                            I layered filo pastry in cupcake tins, added the lasagne vegetarian mince/veg/sauce (fried that up first) stuffs, more filo, more lasagne, then cheese on top. You're meant to use "wonton" pastry stuff or lasagne sheets. Filo was nice

baked poha cakes http://i.imgur.com/LQf7V.jpg

veggie skewers in the oven: Pepper, tofu, mushrooms in soy sauce and halloumi. http://i.imgur.com/KkCMc.jpg

Mushroom, spinach, onion, garlic, white wine and quorn vol-au-vents.
                                                                            Spinach, blueberry and cranberry wensleydale cheese, nuts, olives, cherry tomatoes, babycorn salad, with greek hummous.
                                                                            Homemade coleslaw.

tomato curry and coconut rice
                                                                            Not being a vegetarian, I have a rather indelicate lack of faith in meatless main courses; I worry all too readily about whether it's going to be filling enough. I suppose this is habit, which in turn is largely cultural conditioning but, beyond that even, my fear is to do with balance: I need to feel sure that everything on the table provides a true marriage of tastes and textures; I can't abide the one-note meal. Here I'm happy: the acid brightness of the tomatoes is met with the sweetness of peas and the rich creaminess of the coconut rice, which is itself pricked with the sharpness of lime, while its carrara-whiteness is punctuated by the gritty blackness of the seeds (not there just to satisfy culinary egomania). For US cup measures, use the toggle at the top of the ingredients list.

If not would you like a list of places to eat?
                                                                            A lot of times I just keep it simple, thinks like avocado/oil/pepper/salt on toast for breakfast. Or a smoother like peanut butter/banana/soy milk/cocoa/agave syrup.
                                                                            I use a blender a lot, can make soups, smoothies and so on. I have a nutribullet.
                                                                            Not sure I've helped at all.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            She's never done well, and the party has never had any interest in her (which is impressive considering the impending gender quotas) she's finished. It says alot about their future direction that after that ref they're not embracing their liberal female member insteadthey're keeping to the core rural voters, in tens years FG and SF may be the only surviving parties from now.

also re that article:

There's been a couple of times recently where I've ordered veg meals and I've been a staunch carnivore all my life, is it an age thing or something?
                                                                            One of us! One of us!
                                                                            Well I was in the Buddhist centre tonight meditating, doing a loving kindness meditation, and the last stage of that practice is extending a wish for all beings to be well, be free from suffering, be happy, grow and progress etc. And then I had this very strong thought "I just can't continue to eat meat".

Now this sucks because I love meat, am not ready to not eat it, and don't want to not eat it. And I have little enough energy as it is without depriving myself of whatever the hell is good for you in meat (it's like a Highlander thing right? I consume their power or something?).

June is Buddhist action month, so I'm gonna give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen?
                                                                            That thought struck me on a farm at home when I was looking at cows having the craic, I was 8, took me 10 years to get on board with my cognitive dissonance. I think it's the same for me. I loved meat, I wished I could eat it, that I felt able to. However I feel pretty much what that Buddhist said now, that's what I want. I don't feel what I do now is in any way difficult or a sacrifice. Kinda struggling reading a book on altruism atm, realising that the author is right, I could give 10-50% of my salary to effective charities and live a good life, practically the same life, that if my losing income x has less of a negative impact on me than a positive impact on somebody else then I should do it, within reason, we are all just human after all. It's kinda at the "but I don't wanna" throwing toys out of pram stage atm, same as when I became vegetarian, same as when I became vegan. Even poker players seem to be getting in on it
                                                                            Lee Davy gives you a short update on the important milestones of 2014 for Raising for Effective Giving.

Buddhist centre is something i am interested in attending.

Good luck with the month.
                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-05-15, 11:13.

Comment

This is very good in fairness

Directed & Produced by Anna RodgersEdited by Bob GallagherCo-Producer Zlata FilipovicCamera by Ken O' Mahony, Bob Gallagher, Deirdre O' TooleMusic by Hugh Ro...

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                Have seen 3rd and 7th April 2016 quoted as the latest date it must be held by. As much as I presume the present incumbents would like to be at the helm for 2016 commemorations if the trend for Friday elections is continued can't see them holding it on April fools day the following week so probably some time before that unless they went for a Saturday vote on April 2nd.
                                                                                Think it's maximum five years from the date of the first sitting of the previous Dail. Last election was Feb 25 2011, think Dail didn't sit until early April, so somewhere round there (i.e. your April 3 or 7) sounds right.

Comment

I have that book sitting on my shelf for a decade, worth a read so?
                                                                                  Probably will read before I watch this show then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                    Yes.

While we're on about books, I am ~40% through Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. I'm a huge Stephenson fanboy but this one is particularly special. There's nothing like the brutal pragmatism of impending doomsday to bring out your humanity.
                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Why would you choose the books over a tv show ?
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                        You wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed sun/sand type holiday in SA in November though I don't think? I know the November I was there it rained a fair bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          This is very good in fairness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X_Xl6kCUUI
                                                                                          Ha, nice one!

That's my nephew on the right, he was working flat out for the campaign in Dundalk and Waterford.
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

There's not much reason apart from I really like books, they are much fuller and give you more about the characters. But in this case I just like to read a book before the show as I like to know the original and what changes have been made and if I watch it first it will just confuse me

EDIT: Anybody know of any bloom festival concessions?
                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-05-15, 11:50.

Comment

There's not much reason apart from I really like books, they are much fuller and give you more about the characters. But in this case I just like to read a book before the show as I like to know the original and what changes have been made and if I watch it first it will just confuse me

Ah, im only fuckin with ya.
                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                You wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed sun/sand type holiday in SA in November though I don't think? I know the November I was there it rained a fair bit.
                                                                                                November is their spring and the peak time for taking in the Garden Route from Capetown to Port Elizabeth.
                                                                                                In the Cape there is always some chance of rain and a good chance of wind whatever the season.

I can understand the mind of someone who buys a yellow car better than that of someone who wants to go somewhere too hot and sit on a beach for two weeks

Comment

June is Buddhist action month, so I'm gonna give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen?
                                                                                                  You do what loads of people switching to a veggie diet do and substitute carbs for the protein they are not getting and put on shitloads of weight.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                    Why would you choose the books over a tv show ?

I've been catching up on Ian Banks's mainstream books that I hadn't read due to there being no new SF coming

I dived out of sequence into Stonemouth last week as I saw that BBC have an adaptation coming up and I wanted to have read it first.

1/3 of the way in I'm thinking of abandoning it and just watching the TV show to find out what happened, the story is a slow reveal that doesn't feel like it will have a denouement worth the effort and the writing reminds me why I stopped reading his non SF work. It actually reads like he literally dialled it in, I mean actually dictated it over the phone to an editor he was driving along.

Comment

Anybody coming for pints on Friday? Have Dice and Andy confirmed so it will be at your own risk

Comment

Ive only read the first GOT book,can't get going on the second as I'm bang up to date with TV show and it just feels like a slog when you already know what's going to happen. Speaking of which is TV show fully caught up on book now and pretty much it's own thing?
                                                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 27-05-15, 13:40.

Comment

Ordered savage continent (book about European grimness immediately post WW2) and empire of the sun Yest. Could really do with developing a fondness for chick lit instead of reading stuff that destroys whatever little faith you have in humanity
                                                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 27-05-15, 13:37.

Comment

Love Scrapheap Challenge being shown on various Sky channels these days.

How much fun must it be to build a Welly Wanger

Comment

Who bankrolls thejournal.ie?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                Who bankrolls thejournal.ie?
                                                                                                                Distilled Media who also own daft and boards.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                  Ive only read the first Got book,can't get going on the second as I'm bang up to date with TV show and it just feels like a slog when you already know what's going to happen. Speaking of which is TV show fully caught up on book now and pretty much it's own thing?
                                                                                                                  Book 2 is a bit of a slog up until The Battle of the Blackwater. Keep at it, it is totally worth it. There is so much more interesting stuff going on, the importance of which will not even be obvious to a show watcher.

On continuity, Series 5 is basically a completely different telling of Books 4 and 5. The endpoints look to be converging to similar states but the journeys have all been very different. Before you ask, the books are much slower and more complicated. This isn't always better as some of it is unnecessarily slow, but there's a ton of great stuff in there that has simply been abandoned by the show. There's also plenty that has been simplified to the point where the message has been lost.

Comment

Anybody experience with booking an opthalmologist? Where to go, how much? Don't want to go through gp for referral, just to go directly.

/googles.

Comment

Anybody experience with booking an opthalmologist? Where to go, how much? Don't want to go through gp for referral, just to go directly.

/googles.
                                                                                                                      Should have gone to Specsavers

Comment

Did, they said they were clueless!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X