• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I want to get tuped.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Just in between lectures here in the Poitin Stil, supping a creamy pint. Decided to take a break from class and check in on bbv.

Got 100% on my microphones exam while ordering a pint midway through it.

Isn't technology great.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
          Cos we can.
          Sense of entitlement from this post absolutely stinks.

Comment

I am feeling like a frustrated Luddite here. New TV's do have have coaxial inputs, and my replacement (unbought) TV would be for a bedroom without a decoder box in it, just the cable. This will necessitate having to buy some manner of box to stick the cable into just to connect it to the TV. It seems so inelegant.

@Deadparrot / anyone, this being so (presumably) what would be the cheapest manner of box with a tuner would could get for this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
              Can anyone think of any good reason not to buy this?
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

WTF Dublin, who left the fridge door open?. I left with farmers sunburn on me and now it's colder than the Lolpool trophy cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                  Can anyone think of any good reason not to buy this?
                  You'll probably be outmuscled in a bidding war by a Paedo.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    I am feeling like a frustrated Luddite here. New TV's do have have coaxial inputs, and my replacement (unbought) TV would be for a bedroom without a decoder box in it, just the cable. This will necessitate having to buy some manner of box to stick the cable into just to connect it to the TV. It seems so inelegant.

@Deadparrot / anyone, this being so (presumably) what would be the cheapest manner of box with a tuner would could get for this situation.
                    They do have coax inputs, what type of feed is coming from the coax cable you have ? Is it a saorview signal ? If so that would be fine...im confused as to what your question is, and i am full of pints too so it may be my fault.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

@Firey

I always thought a better form of industrial action from our bus driving colleagues was to not take fares.

That way, joe public still get the service but DB don't get the dough.

Win Win for the workers

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                        @Firey

I always thought a better form of industrial action from our bus driving colleagues was to not take fares.

Win Win for the workers
                        It was suggested by someone here a day or two ago. Apparently they do that in the Netherlands. Legal issues surrounding it apparently.

Comment

LolCork
                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Overdue shoe polishing/cleaning day. Very therapeutic.
                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

@Firey

Win Win for the workers
                              Surely that would be potentially a sacking offence if the company wanted to be belligerent and get rid of a few hundred workers. And can't see any employment tribunal disagreeing, slam dunk case.
                              Arguably also a criminal matter, if a barman gave out free pints for the night you could see the police might be called, similar issue.

Comment

@Firey

Win Win for the workers
                                most popular strike ever. how are they deciding which drivers have to go? Is it the guys who happen to work the routes being sold or are they just firing the worst 10% presuming that they will get picked up by the other guys.

Fucking nonesense that Dublin bus can even in theory can win the tender. they have no money and buying for the govt using money from subsidies. Nice to make busy work for people and brilliant for whatever accountancy and law firms this is outsourced.

Can you imagine if the bank reposed my house and I walk I to the bank and say can I buy my house back. they go eh what you have no money tho and I ask for a loan.

Would it not be better for all the drivers to negotiate selling all the routes to private companies with minimum pay, conditions and service levels coming as part of the package and leaving the bloated senior management, terribly structures insurance dept and all the debts behind?

Comment

Those who have Jelavic top scorer backed, in case of a draw(N'Doye has scared me) it will be halved. Was kinda worried about minutes played tbh but thankfully not.

Also Leicester at 6/1 to go down is bigger than I expected. I laid them when they were odds on but 6/1 is so damn tempting!!!
                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                      Overdue shoe polishing/cleaning day. Very therapeutic.
                                      cobblers

Comment

Wonder what Network Noel has to say on the matter.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I know there are a few here with cats, so just telling this story for the cat lovers

We have a fluffy grey/brown/black tabby, she is about 9/10 months old now. We have had her since she was 8 weeks. She sleeps in the utility room with our Pomeranian bitch Minnie. Minnie was our dog that lost her pup in 2013 due to it eating weed killer.

Lately when you go in and say hello to the cat, she rolls over for you to tickle her belly! Not only that, she wags her tail like a dog when she is happy. I think it is the oddest behaviour ever. I don't know if they pick stuff up from living with a dog or not but when I googled it they said cats don't like you toyching their tummy. She rolls over and expects a rub!

She sleeps with the dog and the two playfight and get on great. They really are the odd couple

here is a picture of Said Cat!

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                            Sense of entitlement from this post absolutely stinks.
                                            Was only winding up Sickpuppy, and didn't he take the bait beautifully.

Not taking fares is against the law.

The routes that are going out to tender are already known, so some senior drivers as well as some junior drivers would be moving.

If my route was to move and I have to go to a new operation, what happens to the pension scheme that I've been paying in to for the last 20 years as well as any other benefits that I have currently ? I think I'm entitled to know that!

The NTA won't get involved in this area of the talks even though their ultimate goal seems to be to disband Dublin Bus and the CIE group in general.
                                            Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 26-04-15, 19:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                              chucked (charity recycled) out a good few bags of clothes today - feels good.
                                              What car did you buy Noel ?

Please say an XF..i want one so bad, also...if anyone knows of an early MX5 going cheap, let me know.
                                              Last edited by oleras; 26-04-15, 19:35.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                Was only winding up Sickpuppy, and didn't he take the bait beautifully.

Not taking fares is against the law.

The routes that are going out to tender are already known, so some senior drivers as well as some junior drivers would be moving.

If my route was to move and I have to go to a new operation, what happens to the pension scheme that I've been paying in to for the last 20 years as well as any other benefits that I have currently ? I think I'm entitled to know that!

The NTA won't get involved in this area of the talks even though their ultimate goal seems to be to disband Dublin Bus and the CIE group in general.
                                                Ah here take the bait hardly.
                                                Cie is an abortion of a company.
                                                Our country is not populated enough to have a intercity rail line.
                                                Dart and luas are grand as far as i know.
                                                I get the train when i go to galway the new motirways make it a shorter trip in a car though.
                                                I dont envy bus drivers but its not as if its the most skilled job in the world.
                                                Drive open the door grunt

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                  Just in between lectures here in the Poitin Stil, supping a creamy pint. Decided to take a break from class and check in on bbv.

Got 100% on my microphones exam while ordering a pint midway through it.

Isn't technology great.
                                                  I am proud of you.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                    They do have coax inputs, what type of feed is coming from the coax cable you have ? Is it a saorview signal ? If so that would be fine...im confused as to what your question is, and i am full of pints too so it may be my fault.
                                                    From UPC box via splitter. Question is contingent upon the issue of whether new TV's have coax input or not. I could be wrong and am just assuming that they don't because it's left off the description of connections which might be because it's axiomatic that they do, if they didn't it would be a monitor.

I should just have a bloody look at one I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                      From UPC box via splitter. Question is contingent upon the issue of whether new TV's have coax input or not. I could be wrong and am just assuming that they don't because it's left off the description of connections which might be because it's axiomatic that they do, if they didn't it would be a monitor.

I should just have a bloody look at one I suppose.
                                                      They do. What you looking at ? The LG series LB650 is great value for money, i have the 32, mother has the 47 and the 42 can be had for 459 on pixmania.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

What car did you buy Noel ?

Please say an XF..i want one so bad, also...if anyone knows of an early MX5 going cheap, let me know.
                                                        Have a 00 Z3 if that's any use?

Comment

Anyone rocking a chromebook? Probably time to get a new lappie.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                            The big or the small engine ?

couldn't justify the 2.8 as a weekend car.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

They do. What you looking at ? The LG series LB650 is great value for money, i have the 32, mother has the 47 and the 42 can be had for 459 on pixmania.
                                                              I am finding it difficult to justify spending money on it. Will go for the cheapest Vestel made brand that I can find for a 40". Which looks like being 300. Hmm, actually that's a brand not even made by Vestel - Nordmende, licensed by KAL Group in Ireland. Whatever, cheap piece of TV junk powered by a hamster will do me just fine.

I appear to be of the few people who finds that good TVs with high definition ruins the illusion that the people on screen are actors on a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                I get the train when i go to galway the new motirways make it a shorter trip in a car though.
                                                                I dont envy bus drivers but its not as if its the most skilled job in the world.
                                                                There are lots of jobs that are not the most skilled in the world, it doesn't mean the people doing it are not entitled to job security and to keep the terms and conditions of their contract that they signed when they started.
                                                                I think that you will find that driving a bus has a lot of responsibility, how many people are in responsible for a 300k piece of equipment and thousands of peoples lives on a daily basis.

It takes a lot of skill to manage a bus around traffic congested Dublin streets, while avoiding pedestrians with a death wish, all the time trying to to keep your bus on schedule and having to deal with angry customers at every bus stop when you are running late due to traffic. No wonder some of the drivers only grunt at people.

No doubt there are plenty of of drivers that are not suited to the job, but you can say that about a lot of jobs. You just need to go to any store/coffee shop/bar or anywhere else where the public deal directly with staff and you will find there are a minority of grumpy or unhelpful fuckers.
                                                                Most of the drivers are helpful and are proud of what they do, for the most part it is a thankless and unsatisfying job but there are relationships and friendships built with some customers who are thankful when they see the same friendly face on their route.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                  I am proud of you.
                                                                  Thanx m8

Comment

Z3 M Coupe

*drool*

Comment

Since it was mentioned in the sheep thread, I have to ask Hotspur again how he doesn't rate It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's gone from top 3 in my sitcoms list to far and away number 1, I urge you to give it another try.
                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

Lately when you go in and say hello to the cat, she rolls over for you to tickle her belly! Not only that, she wags her tail like a dog when she is happy. I think it is the oddest behaviour ever. I don't know if they pick stuff up from living with a dog or not but when I googled it they said cats don't like you toyching their tummy. She rolls over and expects a rub!
                                                                        The belly thing is a sign of trust. It also appears to be begging (e.g. for morning feed) in my experience.

The tail thing is also a thing but be aware that it can also signal the exact opposite (watch the ears... back is generally not happy).
                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                          The belly thing is a sign of trust. It also appears to be begging (e.g. for morning feed) in my experience.

The tail thing is also a thing but be aware that it can also signal the exact opposite (watch the ears... back is generally not happy).
                                                                          She does it all the time, not just when she wanting food. And I know to watch for the tail. it is usually a sign of annoyance etc. I will watch out for the ears though.. It is just not normal cat behaviour. I have had cats on and off the last 22 years and she is an odd ball. But a very cute one lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                            Since it was mentioned in the sheep thread, I have to ask Hotspur again how he doesn't rate It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It's gone from top 3 in my sitcoms list to far and away number 1, I urge you to give it another try.
                                                                            I gave it a solid go and thought it was terrible, i have heard "season 2, Danny DeVito" etc, my brother loves it, i still have Curb to watch, 3 times i tried it and it bounced me. I should like it, its the comedy i like and have watched, comedy is strange like that. Royal Family is queued up now ll because of a can of spaghetti hoops.
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                              I agree with you Mick, that CIE is a quango that is well past it's sell-by date.

There are way too many managers and supervisors who do SFA all day, take home a big pay-packet and will benefit from an enormous pension pot when it comes to retirement time.
                                                                              That however, is not your average Dublin Bus Driver.
                                                                              While it's not brain surgery, it is one of the most monitored and regulated occupations in the country. With the advances of Facebook and Twitter any passenger can make you the subject of an internet tirade before the bus reaches the terminus. We also have to put up with abuse from the scum of the earth who travel for free whenever they like and wouldn't think twice about spitting in your face.
                                                                              Your earning potential is also regulated by the EU working time directive, so it's not like you can work 70 hours a week to increase your take-home pay.

Most of those at the coal-face do a good job to be fair, but it's the system that needs changing.
                                                                              I don't feel that I have a sense of entitlement, as others have stated,but I do feel I'm due some sort of certainty in my future after investing 20 years of my life in a job that could be gone on a whim in the morning.
                                                                              A public bus service cannot be run to make a profit for an owner of a private company, it is a necessary evil that has to be run by the state, for the people that use and need it. Sure, it can be run better than it is now, but making the drivers take the brunt of the pain is not the way to go.

Comment

Rumours Jon Jones out of the fight with Rumble Johnson @ UFC 187

According to @FrontRowBrian

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/592420627132391425

@FrontRowBrian: News will break very soon… Jon Jones OUT of UFC 187.
                                                                                The Holy HEEL: BSL
                                                                                ‏@BloodstainLane
                                                                                I know a lot of people what to know what happened to Jon Jones, I don't know how true it is, but if true it's pretty serious

Comment

My friend published an article on Dublin Bus can read it here for those of you so inclined - Dublin Bus: Funding and Financial Performance

TLDR -

Conclusion
                                                                                  Dublin Bus recorded an €18 million deficit for the year 2011 with an accumulated deficit of €48 million. Declining passenger numbers and a reduction in state subvention mean that cost reduction is necessary to bring operating costs in line with lower revenue. There appears to be two main options for lowering costs. One option is to continue cutting payroll and related costs. In recent years savings have been made by reducing the average number of employees. Average wages have remained stable over this period. An alternative option under consideration by the National Transport Authority is competitive tendering. It is likely that competitive tendering would bring cost savings. However this can be a very slow process and there is a danger that the quality of service may be compromised if the process is not managed effectively.
                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

1.9...gets prob 25mpg and I think tax is 600-odd.

Comment

Catching up on some documentaries - The Overnighters was excellent bit of a mind fuck next up was Actress about Brandy Burre who was in The Wire and trying to get back into acting as her world crumbles around her, two great takes into peoples lives.

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnSubscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgLike us on...

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnSubscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgLike us on...
                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

1.9...gets prob 25mpg and I think tax is 600-odd.
                                                                                        MPG isnt an issue. Thats a nice roadster, has to be an MX though, unless you want silly 1.5k money.
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                          The XF got a good study but i went for a Q5, the driving equivalent of a V4V Impactful Tie.
                                                                                          Very impactful indeed, i hope they stuck the hitch on for free.
                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                            Rumours Jon Jones out of the fight with Rumble Johnson @ UFC 187
                                                                                            Sonnen said a while back that there is no chance this fight goes ahead.

Rumble is hiding in China ''training''. Obv trying to cycle off the PEDs in time.

Comment

Vikings finale.

SPOILER
                                                                                              The best season finale to a show I've seen for a long time. I thought after episode 8 he was going to die and was looking for a way for season 4 to happen without him. I thought Bjorn may find out about Floki and take Ragnars place and kill Floki. Did not see the fake death coming. Fantastic that he now knows what Floki, Rolo and Lagatha think of him. Bye bye those 3. Rolo will probably be killed in Paris after yer wans speech and Floki is definitely gone after what was said on the ship.

So much to look back on and look forward to in season 4. Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                Sonnen said a while back that there is no chance this fight goes ahead.
                                                                                                Yeah it's funny.

He knows. . . .

Comment

She does it all the time, not just when she wanting food. And I know to watch for the tail. it is usually a sign of annoyance etc. I will watch out for the ears though.. It is just not normal cat behaviour. I have had cats on and off the last 22 years and she is an odd ball. But a very cute one lol.
                                                                                                  They are all feckin' odd in my book!
                                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                                    Yeah it's funny.

He knows. . . .

Think he drank a can of coke a few times after weighing in. He has mentioned coca cola as a guilty pleasure a few times too. A lot of people think its a sign that he knows he will be busted for coke deals.

If that turns out to be true and is why he drank Coca Cola beside him then Chael is a God.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                                                                      for the most part it is a thankless and unsatisfying job
                                                                                                      Ah here, Dublin bus driver is probably the most thanked job in the world.

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                                      I had it explained to me recently. My attempts have always been the first few episodes, been told that it gets good in season 2.

Still working on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt as my breakfast sitcom, which I can recommend.

Comment

Off to Amsterdam this week for a week, already have a Buddhist "the art of sitting still" meditation class and an ecstatic dance event booked in. Hardcore.

I know there are a few here with cats, so just telling this story for the cat lovers

We have a fluffy grey/brown/black tabby, she is about 9/10 months old now. We have had her since she was 8 weeks. She sleeps in the utility room with our Pomeranian bitch Minnie. Minnie was our dog that lost her pup in 2013 due to it eating weed killer.

She sleeps with the dog and the two playfight and get on great. They really are the odd couple

here is a picture of Said Cat!

When cats really love and trust you they ask for belly rubs, be proud.
                                                                                                        Your cat looks lovely. Cats are the friendliest things ever, it depends on how they are raised. Mine will run to the door to meet me, come up and want rubs all the time etc. When i go to bed she runs in, jumps up and touches her forehead off mine to say good night.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 26-04-15, 21:42.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                              I literally can't wait to have a puppy. Would hate if current unbelievably delightful daughter and soon to (hopefully) be kid were to ask me to rank them against a youthful puppy. We were talking about pets yeah?
                                                                                                              Best decision my gf and I have made so far in our relationship. No matter what kinda day we're having our dog puts smiles on our faces.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                  Off to Amsterdam this week for a week, already have a Buddhist "the art of sitting still" meditation class and an ecstatic dance event booked in. Hardcore.
                                                                                                                  That course is being run by the New Kadampa Tradition who are widely regarded within Buddhism as a cult to be avoided. Have a read up on them. I'll find a reason why you shouldn't dance later.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

what did kyle walker start wth all the puppy talk.
                                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X